test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Companion Changes in Mod 16

Overall, I like the new interface and the changes to companion gear. My only issue with the rework is with the power slots. It feels like we're being pigeon holed into our roles and losing any sense of flexibility with our character's build. I get the idea of why they did it that way, but what if we're running solo content? I'm an OP main, I need some extra DPS when I run solo stories, so I have a solo load-out that I use with more DPS-oriented companions. That build is much different from my Tank or Healer builds that I run depending on the party's need. Each one of those has companions that have been tailored to fit the role that I will be filling. That's no longer possible in Mod 16. Under the new setup, to give another example, my Ranger can't use the companions to pick up more survivability, etc. All five slots need to be universal to slot any of the companions powers that I worked hard to get.

Comments

• cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    Just because a slot is a "Defense Slot" doesn't mean you are limited to defensive stats in it. There are companions that add offensive stats in defensive slots.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,215 Arc User

i am not a fan of this update, i see this as a nerf, wonder what will they nerf next.

This is a small nerf comparing with other nerf in mod 16.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    The blog goofed big time. The Blue (Rare) companion should have an Item Level of 50 and the Legendary (Orange) companion should have an Item Level of 200 -both are wrong with 100 each.

Devs, don'[t argue, just fix it and moveon.org.
  • daiseymaedaiseymae Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    As with most things in this world Neverwinter is not a player game - but more a developer game. Some of us still believe in free choice and free will... apparently the developers are from google or microsoft....
  • havlockehavlocke Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    daiseymae said:

As with most things in this world Neverwinter is not a player game - but more a developer game. Some of us still believe in free choice and free will... apparently the developers are from google or microsoft....

Good gawds, Cryptic would wet themselves if they thought they'd be like Microsoft. You know, one of the most successful business companies in history? Making its founder the world's first Trillionaire. That Microsoft? Btw, you think the Devs from Apple are any better? They got a much better PR department for sure.
  • soltaswordsoltasword Member Posts: 290 Arc User
    I think the companion change is just awful. I can't speak to any other type companion but my healer one. She was awesome before the update, now she is useless for healing. It seems what you need now is a tanky companion that you send into combat while you cower in the corner waiting for it to kill everything. Then you go in and get the reward. Next update, that is what we will do. We will all set in PE and just send out our companions to do the quests and dungeons for us because we will all be even more useless than we are now in game while our companion will be able to solo 5 man dungeons.
  • bpstuartbpstuart Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Almost every decision made in this Module seems aimed at making the solo players miserable.
    Ego etiam cupo recrari et amari diu post mortem meam
    I too wish to be recreated, and to be loved long after my death.
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    Companions hit for tickle damage now. So cowering behind them won't work either.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 919 Arc User
    I stood outside the Sea Hag’s Hold for four minutes and watched as my companion, a Dire Wolf went from full health to dead without once striking back or injuring the single Lizard Warrior attacker.

If my companion had become overpowered and died in a fight, that’s one thing, if he had been overwhelmed by superior numbers or a really nasty foe I could understand it - but for the companion mechanics to just standby for four minutes and let some lizard Warrior beat it to death without once even attempting to take shot at it... is this part of the upgrade?
    DD~
  • raziel2004#7353 raziel2004 Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    Love the new companion system. So flexible with huge combat potential. No more one type debuff comp.