test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A question of "Why"

lordwinoslordwinos Member Posts: 35 Arc User
I'd like to ask Jared Sears
Lead Systems Designer why the game is so hostile to Solo players that don't form groups to play the RESTRICTED content like the Weekly Aqu. Inc. dungeon?
why not put it like the others and allow random groups to play as well.
Just Asking

Comments

• namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    It is probably a good thing that there are no queues for k-team and tales of the old. A lot of the runs are pretty hard. The well-geared players pre-make groups. So who would queue for these hard runs knowing the only people queuing are relatively new players and solo-ish players who aren't well connected. The queues would look like the CR queue where 9 out of 10 runs are non-starters and be a waste of everyone's time.

If they include the queues into the RQ rotation, there would be even more queue churn. Who wants to risk a 1+ hour run with a good chance of failing. Better to take the 30 mins penalty and come back hoping for demo/eDemo, or even a dungeon that can be done in 15 minutes.
  • lordwinoslordwinos Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    so just to be clear.
    A solo player will never be allowed to try this content or get any of the decent items for completion.
    THEN how about making the rewards purchasable for real Cash?
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    lordwinos said:

so just to be clear.
    A solo player will never be allowed to try this content or get any of the decent items for completion.

If you are on PC you shouldn't worry about that gear as it is now outdated with the release of undermountain. If you are on console, you have around 6 weeks before it is released to get into undermountain content.
  • radinka#8490 radinka Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    lordwinos said:

so just to be clear.

For the love of the gods, let not give them ANOTHER option to try to milk real money out of players. Isn't it bad enough you end up with twenty to thirty lockboxes a day that you CANNOT open without special keys that are only available with Zen? If the developers thought they could charge people real money to travel between zones, they would do it.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    lordwinos said:

I'd like to ask Jared Sears
    Lead Systems Designer why the game is so hostile to Solo players that don't form groups to play the RESTRICTED content like the Weekly Aqu. Inc. dungeon?
    why not put it like the others and allow random groups to play as well.
    Just Asking

Well, if you don't want to join premade groups, then no. However, this is really not a relevant issue any more - you can get pretty much all the end-game gear in Mod 16 just playing solo or with random groups - it's only the (obsolete) Gallant gear that you cannot get, so unless you are obsessed with filling blank spots in your collection, I would just ignore it.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • bonz0dog#1515 bonz0dog Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Just so you know, Jared is no longer Lead designer. Thomas Foss appears to have that position now.

https://www.mmorpg.com/neverwinter/interviews/lead-designer-thomas-foss-on-neverwinter-undermountain-1000013596

Just so you know, Jared is no longer Lead designer. Thomas Foss appears to have that position now.

https://www.mmorpg.com/neverwinter/interviews/lead-designer-thomas-foss-on-neverwinter-undermountain-1000013596

Well when they mentioned choices when they announced mod 16 they should have clearly stated "more role choices".

Here is another thing they hoped to get from mod 16 "Because of this emphasis on party-friendly mechanics, dungeons and trials are now going to be more challenging. Expect to use more potions and teamwork to advance"

I'm sorry but most content is already party friendly. There is a difference between party friendly and being scaled to the point where you feel weaker at true end game than you would if you kept the character at a lower level and used appropriate enchantments and gear in older content.

The devs need to go back and readjust the scaling for players. It seems like anyone coming in at level 80 is getting the low ball treatment instead of the gold carpet treatment. Since we are being low balled it simply makes players feel like they did not progress at all with their character and that will cause frustration and players rage quitting as they are not as strong as they once were even though they improved their character. Scaling should provide players the gold carpet treatment where our gear/enchantments are not gimped to the lowest scale but to a higher scale to allow players to feel progress on their character.

The choice part on classes really only impacted the Barbarian, Warlock, Cleric, and Fighter classes. These classes got 2 roles instead of one allowing them to play as a damage dealer and as a support role. Wizard, Ranger and Rogues were left as damage dealers only and the reality is wizards and rangers had semi dual roles prior to mod 16 in the form of playing as a buffer type build that benefited groups but now these classes are regulated to damage dealer only.

I'm sorry but they didn't need to bastardize the builds to add more roles to the Barbarian, Warlock, Cleric, and Fighter classes. They could of done some tweaking here and there and made them have a 2nd role. They could have even added another role option in the game and added that to wizard, rogues and rangers so that all classes would have more role options.

Now onto the next quote "With this expansion, players can be more confident that when they pick up a shiny new piece of equipment with a higher item level, they’re going to get stronger if they equip it, regardless of their build". This comment right here SCREAM loot shooter. In loot shooters you always equip the highest rated piece of gear to improve your character.

NWO 2019 is a Fantasy loot shooter. It screams it given how the game is with encounters, dailies, and gear.

• kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

Jared was never Lead Designer. Jared is Lead Systems Designer. 2 very different positions with 2 very different roles.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • bpstuartbpstuart Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    I am going to bring up these concerns during the community stream on tuesday and hopefully we can get some answers but i am not holding my breath.
    Ego etiam cupo recrari et amari diu post mortem meam
    I too wish to be recreated, and to be loved long after my death.
  • johonxgaltjohonxgalt Member Posts: 93 Arc User

lordwinos said:

so just to be clear.

For the love of the gods, let not give them ANOTHER option to try to milk real money out of players. Isn't it bad enough you end up with twenty to thirty lockboxes a day that you CANNOT open without special keys that are only available with Zen? If the developers thought they could charge people real money to travel between zones, they would do it.
    You do know that those sell on the AH pretty well, save them for a while and the value goes up on most.

For the love of the gods, please dont take away another source of my AD because you dont know what to do with them...
  • mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User

lordwinos said:

so just to be clear.

You do know that those sell on the AH pretty well, save them for a while and the value goes up on most.

For the love of the gods, please dont take away another source of my AD because you dont know what to do with them...
    Yes. This is true.
    Save them... one slot holds many, and if there is something even half decent in the box, you will be able to sell it down the line for a decent whack of AD.

Warning!!!
    It will require patience and foresight however. So if neither of these things apply to you, best just sell them for copper at the nearest vendor.

lordwinos said:

so just to be clear.

Yes. This is true.
    Save them... one slot holds many, and if there is something even half decent in the box, you will be able to sell it down the line for a decent whack of AD.

Warning!!!
    It will require patience and foresight however. So if neither of these things apply to you, best just sell them for copper at the nearest vendor.
    Not all boxes are the same in value. Some are better than others.