test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Driftwood Tavern Questions Follow-up - April 16

Comments

• mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    I see all the naysayers basically are veteran players that are not very representative for the experience if the less developed players. And yes, I do agree.. being reduced to average performance in many of the game areas with no benefits from good gear sucks.

But again.. Cryptic probably cares most about the casual people that lands in the game 3-4 months, puts down some money and leaves. That is where their income is, not from old veterans.

And the current situation is not good for the up and coming people. There is a need for the old players to participate in old content to fill up parties fast, but old players cannot be allowed to smash through the content as they do today as that seriously diminishes the play experience for the new people.

So the obvious answer is to reduce the power of the old players. I don't like it, but I do see the rationale behind it, and that rationale is that new and up and coming players are more important to Cryptic than old players. Income > all.

• skrewfaz3d#1482 skrewfaz3d Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Scaling IS broken. This level of scaling is too much. You can level from 70-80 in a few days, those campaigns take months to complete. So the development's response to characters out leveling the 70 campaigns is "tough luck"? It sounds like you want people to slowly progress through campaigns (about what 6-8 of them)? Then why wouldn't you drag out the 70-80 progress over all 10 campaigns instead of making it so brief then saying "oh that gear you have now is too strong"? This is a major fumble by the thinking heads up there man.

Do you expect new players to level undermountain only and focus on undermountain only? Getting Master Boons is the new endgame. Which means vets and new players will have a different experience. Vets will have boons going into Undermountain. Recruits will have to wait until they've grinded out the better level 80 gear at this level of scaling.
  • lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User

lowjohn said:

Except it's not. Your level 70 weapons and sets are *better* than your L80 weapons and sets in scaled content, and scaled content is "literally everything except Lair Of The Mad Mage".

Except that gets scaled as well....because its better than the Vistani stuff they are using as the standard!

I have shown this previously when I went up from 70 to 71 and stats were scaled down with no changes other than level.
    But the set bonuses on the lower stuff are better - Primal's +10% damage, Masterwork's stacking +2% to the entire party... in the lower stuff like VT and eToS and IWD, when you're scaled down to Mod 8 ILs, even things like Drowned can come in handy.

As long as you're effectively using L65 weapons *no matter* what weapons you're using, suddenly the old set bonuses are potentially competitive.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User

Do you expect new players to level undermountain only and focus on undermountain only?

That is exactly what some "veterans" (including myself) intend to do.

Having said that, I tried running around some lower-level open areas like IWD as well as instanced content (Dread Ring lairs, Biggrin's Tomb etc) and it is quite OK, although I am scaled down.

What I haven't really tried is the group content like ToNG or CR - is that so much worse ?
    Hoping for improvements...
  • fabioramonefabioramone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12 Arc User
    Scaling in a pretty good place, no new class, no new race, enchantment bound... I'm out!
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User

Scaling in a pretty good place, no new class, no new race, enchantment bound... I'm out!

To be fair, we have known since last year that this Mod would not bring a new class (but we might get one in Mod 17 or 18), and as for bound enchantments, that's only if you chose to use the exchange vendor, and nobody is forcing you to do that.

As for "scaling in a good place", well.....
    Hoping for improvements...
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    lowjohn said:

hunt gear is going to be obsolete after one level in. all the gear is.

Except it's not. Your level 70 weapons and sets are *better* than your L80 weapons and sets in scaled content, and scaled content is "literally everything except Lair Of The Mad Mage".
    only if you ARE level 70. if you're level 80 the stats on that level 70 gera will still be scaled down but it will be less stats than the level 80 gear. basically the only way to profit here is if you can put a lock on your toon never going past level 70 and it's way too easy to levle up now
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    > @skrewfaz3d#1482 said:
    >
    >
    > Getting Master Boons is the new endgame. Which means vets and new players will have a different experience.
    >
    Did the Master Boons get redone recently, because when I looked early on, they were laughable.

Regardless, with the scaling as it is and old content not offering any new rewards, I plan on doing the new questline on a few characters and never venturing into the scaled zones. Hopefully, in time this idea will be reworked.

Grind with no reward isn't going to keep the game afloat.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • delta2119delta2119 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Scaling is broken somewhere, it's far easier to clear things that are your level or even bit higher, than when you are scaled down. Even as level 50 (with gear mostly from quests & drops) scaled to 15 (started late the Acquisition quests and was scaled down) was almost one-shoot by some basic NPC's, and had to be careful like they were some extreme boss content, until quest level got closer to my level. My damage was fine (or too high sometimes), but sustain (health, defense and so on) way too low, as in broken.
    Lower level content will be ignored if these work like this: it's way more difficult & the loot/reward is also worse (at least the under lvl 50 content)
  • robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    So I'm really torn on what to believe here, because frankly, I've seen this argument before, in other places, where it was absolutely right, this just recently in fact, and a reason that I'm back here now, and where it was "much ado about nothing".

Upon returning, I found that I had a bunch of "lowbie" content that I had to run for the campaign log, for some reason I hadn't done the dungeon in the Cloak Tower region, as one example. When I went in, I was scaled down to level 12, from 60+. So I'm a bit confused as to how this scaling mechanic can be seen as new? It seems to me that, based on this experience alone, it has always been here? I left because the game was over the top easy. If this is going to fix that, then "Yay". I can't tell, from reading the posts, if this is just salt, or if it's really bad. If it turns out to be really bad, then I'll just move along again. But really, since I've not been anywhere near the current endgame, I'm in "wait and see" mode.

I still have 0 confidence in game devs, due to my recent experiences with "balance". However, I can't help but wonder how much of this is "it's really bad" and how much is "but I've been crushing my weeklies for years, and now I may have to work at it a bit to get them done".
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • lardesonlardeson Member Posts: 374 Arc User

Until they find a better way to give us rAD, they will keep making the exact same mistakes. If only my internet did not have its issues with icy terrain I would be incentivized to run group content. But with how it is, it is the weekly AD quests for me. If they take longer then that means less time for me to run other content, but that seems to be what the devs wish us to do, so....

a tip from a fellow cw is that u dont really need to run icy terrain, not in end game, it has its use for freezinf stuff but thats pretty much it. ST and OF are ur main encounters in aoe, dis, ir, cs are other good choice to finish off adds. for bosses u 100% dont need it if you have the RoF atwill buff from offhand, between IK, Cs, IR, RoF, u'll have max chill ob bosses, ofc u need a proper recovery for this. This only applies to the current mod btw.
    Lardeson CW not Mage. Where's my fireball and my thunderbolt?
  • lardesonlardeson Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited April 2019

I see all the naysayers basically are veteran players that are not very representative for the experience if the less developed players. And yes, I do agree.. being reduced to average performance in many of the game areas with no benefits from good gear sucks.

But again.. Cryptic probably cares most about the casual people that lands in the game 3-4 months, puts down some money and leaves. That is where their income is, not from old veterans.

And the current situation is not good for the up and coming people. There is a need for the old players to participate in old content to fill up parties fast, but old players cannot be allowed to smash through the content as they do today as that seriously diminishes the play experience for the new people.

So the obvious answer is to reduce the power of the old players. I don't like it, but I do see the rationale behind it, and that rationale is that new and up and coming players are more important to Cryptic than old players. Income > all.

nonono, thats not the issue here, atleast not for me lol, i have no problem with them downscaling me on a certain criteria but there is a CAP which literally means progression is null when you go back to old zones, yes, that sucks in any game. Caps limit progression, you dont need to be a genius to see this.

Tbf, having scaling in dungeons isn't as bad but having scaling in zones, makes 0 sense lol, your gameplay in zones have no direct effect on new players, not in any manner, in lower dungeons maybe, but in zones? nope, that makes no sense or whatsoever
    Lardeson CW not Mage. Where's my fireball and my thunderbolt?
  • mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    micky1p00 said:

The game became Carpentry simulator - The nails nailed into coffins so well...

I WISH this were the case...

If it were, I'd be able to actually craft Iron Nails on XBox and finally make those damned Trunks for my Stronghold.

• spidey#3367 spidey Member Posts: 400 Arc User

How is scaling looking?
    While we understand some players have concerns over scaling, we believe it is in an overall pretty good place. We do expect there to be some post-launch tweaks to scaling as the content gets played more frequently and we receive more specific feedback. .

Dear Julia,

i feel so sad, that you have to write this blatent lie. No ( NO!!!!) testplayer on PTR will say the same. So i guess some of your suit guys told you, you have to write this...versy sad.

and @noworries#8859
    We are not dummies. Keep your "explanations". You are writing a wot without any clue how bad scaling is on PTR. You dont have to write bs over and over again. And let me guess. You will delete my post, amirite? Who cares if it comes from you.
  • mightyerikssonmightyeriksson Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Sooo, this is considered WaI?

Please developers, just throw out a Mea Culpa, and listen to the players...

As countless others have stated, the feeling of progress is monumentally important in any MMO/RPG.

When I have leveled up my monstrously bad-HAMSTER hero, and geared him with ever so rare, expensive and powerful items, I WANT to be invicible in lower level content...

Just remove any rewards you consider "problematic" and remove (most) of the scaling.

Otherwise, this will not go down well once the players that don't use preview or this forum, get humiliated by kobolds and whatnot, and start leaving the game...