test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why is no one listening?

Comments

• tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited April 2019

...Then you should talk to the players online. Today several individuals didn't know that the Foundry is shutting down forever tomorrow. One even went as far to blame me for trolling chat. Later during a Dragon Run, many were unaware that speed boosting is all but gone in M16...

We few here in the game's forums, will not be the ones complaining as loud in game chat come the 23rd.

Module 16 is going to hit that rock so hard, these players are living under, it will break, and they will believe the apocalypse has come. It is their fault for not being part of this community here on the forums. I applaud everyone for being here, yes even the ones I tend to disagree with from time to time.

This is a magnificent post. [I have edited it down I hope that's ok?]

The point being that what % of the player base know this is happening?

I mean, this would be very apocalyptic if I logged on and suddenly found the game was completely different and I had to redo all my powers, feats, stats, boon, companions, mounts, insignia etc

Thats going to HAMSTER well hurt!

Plus you may be english native speaker, but as a French player, I can tell you than a lot of people can't understand what's happening because all the new things, powers, bonuses are not translated in their language. So it will be even worse ;)
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

...Then you should talk to the players online. Today several individuals didn't know that the Foundry is shutting down forever tomorrow. One even went as far to blame me for trolling chat. Later during a Dragon Run, many were unaware that speed boosting is all but gone in M16...

We few here in the game's forums, will not be the ones complaining as loud in game chat come the 23rd.

Module 16 is going to hit that rock so hard, these players are living under, it will break, and they will believe the apocalypse has come. It is their fault for not being part of this community here on the forums. I applaud everyone for being here, yes even the ones I tend to disagree with from time to time.

I mean, this would be very apocalyptic if I logged on and suddenly found the game was completely different and I had to redo all my powers, feats, stats, boon, companions, mounts, insignia etc

Plus you may be english native speaker, but as a French player, I can tell you than a lot of people can't understand what's happening because all the new things, powers, bonuses are not translated in their language. So it will be even worse ;)
    Wow - no translation really? That is terrible :angry:
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    krumple01 said:

But as it currently sits there is no need to go to rank 15 enchants.

Uhm....well, I would argue that it is worth the effort to get your bonding runestones from R14 to R15, but that's it. Upgrading regular enchantments is not cost-effective, and upgrading non-bonding runestones is a silly waste of AD and wards.

There are two main reasons:
    • With the change from 500 = 1% to 1000 = 1%, the points given by your enchants are only half as effective as before.
    • Gear now giver much higher stats, compared to the enchants than it used to. This is most obvious in the case of the new companion gear, where the gear gives 10000+ points and the (single) runestone give 580 points. Upgrading it to R15 to get 660 points instead feels like, well...almost insulting.
    This is of course all a symptom of a larger shift. By having most of your points come from easy-to-obtain gear, and devaluing any gains you get from grinding over a long time, the game is being made made appealing to new players who want "THE BEST STUFF, NOW!" The difference between someone who started playing a month ago and someone who has been playing since the beginning are being made smaller. This is also why power points are being removed and why boons are being made less relevant,

For the new players, this is great - they see themselves being able to "catch up" with minimal effort. For players that really enjoy slowly improving their character - work hard for meaningful upgrades this is a step in the wrong direction - it takes too much of the fun away.

This is why I fear that we will see an initial spike in player numbers after the release of Mod 16, but then the downward trend will resume and accelerate and by July/August the player numbers will hit an all-time low as too many players have quit because the game is just "not fun any more".

I hope I am wrong.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • spidey#3367 spidey Member Posts: 400 Arc User

No translation in any language btw. If you are not an english native speaker its hard to test. So a lot non native english speaker didnt test the mod 16.
  • nathan#8975 nathan Member Posts: 225 Arc User
    I started my OFF again / on again relationship with NW when they messed with bonding stones a couple years ago, after we had spent so much time & money getting them leveled.

however, just wanted to comment regarding boons, from the perspective of someone who doesn't play the game everyday but has played for several years on and off. I like the changes to the boon system. I don't mean to say that their change to the boon system was the right way to go, but being required to log in every day to do the same quests over and over just to get the boons was terrible design to begin with. I'm happy they're being made slightly less relevant, but wish they would have just been more attainable.

I'm not sure if any change is coming to the campaign design with m16. It's hard to find information about the new mod because there is so much that is changing and there is such a negative response ( rightly so, on most cases ), that it's hard to sift through the info. But the way campaigns worked in the past, and still might? made the game feel like a chore.
  • tikamage#2445 tikamage Member Posts: 96 Arc User

It's a business. The devs aren't volunteers - this is their job - they are paid $$ to do what they are told to do.

They are not going to publicly acknowledge negative feedback. It's a no-win situation if they do.

When you see the smiling faces of the devs/comm managers in videos, talking in glowing terms about new 'features and enhancements' to the game, and telling you how excited you will be in the new zone in M16 - this is scripted content.

Whatever they think privately about the direction of the game - they are not going to say it publicly if it isn't in line with the people signing their paychecks.

Hello Think of EA's Anthem, Not too long ago, maybe 3 days, heard some things ab out EA Letting 250 people go, wonders is it Upper Management they let go, no its all the programmers that they want to blame for their failure, There was no Information about who they let go and they won't openly say who, but as it is seems that Criptic / Arc are following EA's Microtransactions as the way to make Money, used to get a Key for Dungeons from a Vendor now it cost Zen used to get Astral Diamonds from Standing in the Camp fire and Evoking it shows them there when you do but they do not go into the inventory. These are the Changes I have seen and the Game was a Wonderful game and now its gone the way of EA's ideas of a FP shooter MMORPG styled game such as Anthem. Really after 6 maybe 8 years of Programming a game like that it would be a solid Stable and Very Good game but it has fallen because of the way they have done Game Transactions. Today lots of Game Programmers are being let go because they do not like the way Management wants them to write the game. This is a Cash Grab them Shut the game down EA Style, I would say Let the Programmers do their Love for what they do and Like Say Guild Wars Free to P{lay but you buy the discs and Make your account, in todays Digital downloads it makes that a moot point which in some ways is good but most of all not right. As a Gamer Girl the Games Play fine then one day they just Break, thinks about something from long ago, Consolidators they tell stories f Grandure to the CEO CFO's and then all the Ones doing the Actual work are fired cause they can't live upt to the Dreams or maybe Nightmares of Management, Thus EA's Style of buy out and Shut down or Break. On Gaming OS' Windows 7 or XP are the best Gaming platforms, though it seems many are now moving to Linux as it is more an Open source Platform and has some good points, I have to say having Windows 10 on my system Broke my Gaming specially since they took Direct 3D out in option for Open GL. Not even telling any one, just claiming Better for something. Leave the Programmers to their work let them do what they do best, and let their imaginations run wild not your pocket book.
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    found out from other players, we dont get any new class and any player own homes planned, or new playable races. they said NWO feel dead to them.
  • tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited April 2019

And the existing translations are terrible ( at least in french ), some tooltips get the wrong numbers 5% deflect become 25% deflect ( just lol ), and some get an opposite translation like "when you hit" become "when you are hit"...

So it will be a bigger mess when mod 16 come out with wrong tooltips
  • cherryman1cherryman1 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    havlocke said:

MOD16 was made with the majority in mind. That's all Kreatyve was referring to. Got nothing to do with the Zen shop.

Mod 16 looks to be made to bring all of the players who come in to easily be able to do all content right away but it fails in it's implementation. The scaling is setup to discourage players from playing earlier game content as they made you perform worse than a character that is the correct level. This means as you level up you will be rewarded for playing content that is the correct level while being punished for being above the level necessary to do it. That means that as a level 80 character you are pushed to only do the new content only. This means that all level 80's just had all of the prior game content more or less removed for them without you even realizing it. The sad part of this is that getting to level 80 is probably only going to take a week to get there. This means that in your first week of game play in the game you will need to enjoy all of the early game content before you are punished for playing content you just surpassed. You won't be able to play that content in an enjoyable fashion until your level 80 and maxed out boons/enchants/insignias/etc... That is really just a huge punch to the gut for a lot of the player base. They really need to remove the scaling for zones in the game unless it is a scale up. The only real place players wanted scaling was in pvp and in the pre level 70 random dungeons. Adding it to the rest of the game just stifles progression of characters as there is now very little motivation to improve. I enjoy games where I can see my progression as that is huge in the enjoyment factor for a game. This regressive punishment scaling of content is not necessary and needs to be removed from the game. If your going to scale the zones it should be where you reduce a players stats to what a maxed out player in that area would be and then give a 25% increase base on the stats of the player to their character. That would fix the issue with players coming in and destroying an area while also giving the feel of accomplishment back to players who put time/money into the game. It would also give players who out leveled content better performance in a zone to make them feel that improving their character has meaning.
    Guild Leader: Under the Influence
    Yule (Barb): 72k : Siren (TR): 78k : Torun (DC): 73k : Siren OP (OP): 76k : Siren SW (SW): 78k : Modern (F): 80k : Cherry1 (CW) : 68k Siren HR (HR): 78k
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User

havlocke said:

MOD16 was made with the majority in mind. That's all Kreatyve was referring to. Got nothing to do with the Zen shop.

Mod 16 looks to be made to bring all of the players who come in to easily be able to do all content right away but it fails in it's implementation. The scaling is setup to discourage players from playing earlier game content as they made you perform worse than a character that is the correct level. This means as you level up you will be rewarded for playing content that is the correct level while being punished for being above the level necessary to do it. That means that as a level 80 character you are pushed to only do the new content only. This means that all level 80's just had all of the prior game content more or less removed for them without you even realizing it. The sad part of this is that getting to level 80 is probably only going to take a week to get there. This means that in your first week of game play in the game you will need to enjoy all of the early game content before you are punished for playing content you just surpassed. You won't be able to play that content in an enjoyable fashion until your level 80 and maxed out boons/enchants/insignias/etc... That is really just a huge punch to the gut for a lot of the player base. They really need to remove the scaling for zones in the game unless it is a scale up. The only real place players wanted scaling was in pvp and in the pre level 70 random dungeons. Adding it to the rest of the game just stifles progression of characters as there is now very little motivation to improve. I enjoy games where I can see my progression as that is huge in the enjoyment factor for a game. This regressive punishment scaling of content is not necessary and needs to be removed from the game. If your going to scale the zones it should be where you reduce a players stats to what a maxed out player in that area would be and then give a 25% increase base on the stats of the player to their character. That would fix the issue with players coming in and destroying an area while also giving the feel of accomplishment back to players who put time/money into the game. It would also give players who out leveled content better performance in a zone to make them feel that improving their character has meaning.
    Although everything you have said here is good and right. The reason they did back scaling is because of the end game challenges. You pick up a weekly quest that allows you to select 3 areas of older campaigns. You run those dailies and complete the objectives to get the new campaign currency. If they have left it as easy as it currently is in mod 15 to run older campaigns then the term used, "Challenges" wouldn't really be any challenge. I tested out this new system and early on it was nothing different, in fact it was easier because I had level 80 gear. Now its insanely annoying seeing my character being out performed by a fresh 70 killing the same mobs. Players are smart well most are and when it becomes blatantly obvious that there is no longer any real "progression" giving the impression of improving your powerful accomplishments then a player starts to wonder what was all the effort for if you feel just as week as you did when you first started the character?

• hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    I have no idea if the devs are listening or not as I don't work there. What worries me is that it seems like no one is responding. Now, that said, let's keep things in perspective. The new mod drops in 12 days. By now, all of the devs are almost certainly doing bugfixes nonstop and QA is likely working exclusively at the Release Candidate level. I don't think it's at all realistic to expect the likes of @terramak et. al to respond.

That said, I'd feel better if we saw more correspondence from @nitocris83 -- I envision that everyone is probably having daily stand-up meetings, maybe even twice a day, and those would be the times when she would be able to find out what she can bring to the community. I suspect that she's being held back and that's worrisome.

Hopefully management isn't making everyone suffer a Death by Meeting. I've been there and it makes doing one's job harder, not easier.

As for Mod 16 in general, one of my favorite sayings at work is the following: don't use a nuclear weapon to kill an ant.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    hustin1 said:

The new mod drops in 12 days. By now, all of the devs are almost certainly doing bugfixes nonstop

This is the best thing ever written about Neverwinter :)

• rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    And more than likely the build that is on today will be more or less, baring a few last minute fixes, the build that will go live. But yes they will have to keep bugfixing, what will the issues with master expeditions and scaling.
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    wylonus said:

found out from other players, we dont get any new class and any player own homes planned, or new playable races. they said NWO feel dead to them.

In the last community discussion - or somewhere - there was a definite statement made that a new class is coming - this year.

Just not in M16. I've seen some speculation that it may be more than one class - but we'll see. Right now it's one of the few rays of hope I see for the game.

Still waiting on the devs to fix the BtoC companions issue on Preview. Only 11 days to go and it ain't fixed yet.
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User

wylonus said:

In the last community discussion - or somewhere - there was a definite statement made that a new class is coming - this year.

Just not in M16. I've seen some speculation that it may be more than one class - but we'll see. Right now it's one of the few rays of hope I see for the game.

Still waiting on the devs to fix the BtoC companions issue on Preview. Only 11 days to go and it ain't fixed yet.
    New class? Player homes?
    That would be like rearranging the deck chairs to save the Titanic.

What difference would a new class make when the entire game mechanic has been rewritten?
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.

wylonus said:

New class? Player homes?

What difference would a new class make when the entire game mechanic has been rewritten?
    Yep the new class will be the NPC class. Hang on I know you are thinking that can't be. But it requires no mechanics and you don't need stats. Your inventory consists of an exclamation point and question mark. You just display the one necessary to attract the attention of a gullible hero who will do your endless tasks, like get a book for you, or collect your lost heirloom. Then you give the hero a few copper pieces once they return with what ever you asked them to do for you. Its pretty good, you just stand around and spam the same verbal phrase over and over just to make sure you annoy every nearby hero.

• lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User

wylonus said:

New class? Player homes?

There has got to be an upside to M16, not that I've found it yet. But will keep looking anyway . . . . . . .
    lantern22 said:

There has got to be an upside to M16, not that I've found it yet. But will keep looking anyway . . . . . . .

I can see a few. If the player base does actually shrink it would impact the AH a little. Of course this wouldn't happen immediately but over the next few months we might see prices change as a result of fewer buyers causes players to drop their expected AD price on items. Those who compete for the sale in turn will continue to drop until the rate of buying meets the in game demand by the active player base.

But the bad side effect of players quitting means ques might be longer for dungeons or finding players who are experienced enough for the content might be replaced with far less experienced players.

Also it might thin out the knuckleheads that think logging into a game to discuss political garbage in Protectors Enclave is productive. Maybe all the elitist players will quit so you don't need to get their snobbish comments when you want to join them.

I really like that the new mod doesn't have buff demand mechanics. Not that I wasn't a good buffer when I played my support classes but when a crappy player tries to blame the buffing (you) as the problem when its really just them. It gets annoying. Also we no longer need to focus 1 party member to do all the damage while the rest of the party are just hoping that main dps has everything right. Or if the tank chose the wrong power there is no chance to kill the boss because they refuse to set up the meta power that allows the success to happen.

I like that since I was a hoarder that all my junk companions might actually have some new value in the new mod. But at the same time I'm saying goodbye to my bag space since we will be back to collecting massive amounts of insignias to either sell to players wanting their legendary upgrades or your own personal upgrades bypassing the need to drop AD to get them.

It sucks that some of the choices we have made up to this point are now terrible choices in some cases for the new mod. Like insignia choices. Some of us players will need to spend a lot of AD making these changes. But on the other hand the stats acquired from boons, enchantments and insignias are so little that not having the best choices really don't hurt you at all.

• kharkov58kharkov58 Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    @kemnimtarkas I remember that statement by Foss. It was a statement that a new Class or Player Race was in the works. Stress the OR.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    I'm pretty sure that the reason they have been so quiet this past week is because they are too busy working to post on the forums. I know that Nitocris has been in meetings nearly all day some days. This type of radio silence is pretty normal this close to a mod launch, for most companies that I've paid attention to. They are trying. They are listening. But they are also working very hard.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    kharkov58 said:

@kemnimtarkas I remember that statement by Foss. It was a statement that a new Class or Player Race was in the works. Stress the OR.

The cynical side of me says that they took buffing away from everyone so they can "give" it back in the form of a new Bard class -- like when they kicked everyone's ability to survive in the teeth and introduced the paladin to swoop in and "save the day". "Want to survive in mod 6? Invite all those new players who created paladins!"

It was a transparently crass move and it went over like a lead balloon. Let's hope they learned that players really do have operating BS detectors.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • terrek41terrek41 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    The dev's don't listen to players. Any statisical facts they try to impart on the players are lies. Their just told what to say, what to do, and that's the way it is. They even have a manual.

Then look at crafting from mod 15. Completely broken system. Now with mod 16, their removing everyone's optional choices on a game that is over 6 yrs old now. And giving us all pretty much cookie cutter builds across the board. They are in effect, trying to kill this game.

All boons changed, mostly to HAMSTER. Everyone's going to have practically the same ones.
    Limit on numbers of dailys, at wills, encounters for choices. Again, they chose them.
    Nerfs across the board, every class.
    Stat caps, being changed to a max of 50%
    Our stats, vs enemy stats, ie: accuracy / crit defense / crit resist? for combat effectiveness.

Any poll they release, probably originates sometime around 2012 for authenticity. After all, they can't release one pre mod 16, and get any favorable results. They could however release one from 2012 or 2013, and say. Yup we got favorable results. Without adding in the word: THEN..

That'd at least be true, and deceptive like i know them to be. After all, gotta go with what works right. So hey dev's. Kill the game some more. Its not my job that's gonna vaporize when the playerbase drys up. It'll be yours.
  • spidey#3367 spidey Member Posts: 400 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

They are trying. They are listening.

I have to admit: You are a real funny person. Despite all the facts you are still defending "your" people. You wont see the issues...not at all.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Despite all the facts that get made up due to lack of information because we don't get told everything?
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • kranky#1106 kranky Member Posts: 42 Arc User

I'm beginning to wonder if it's the elite players that are online 24/7, spend huge amount of real money in game that the dev's are listening to, not us the casual players that are online a few hours a week and do not have the opportunity to spend lots of real money in the game,. Well, this is just a thought.

So you think this game will become more "casual" friendly? Did you check it? Did you compare your toon on PTR with the toon on live server?

actually yes a SW a TR and a GF all maxed gear/enchants ect ect and all are just not fun to play GF cannot hold agro on multiple targets TR pretty much being locked in to a smoke bomb rouge which is terrible SW idk why they have a healing path because it works about as good at healing as me jumping in a blender i havnt tried the HR/GWF/CW yet since i do have lvl 70 ones but TBH i dont think i will bother pretty much everyone will be the exact same build so ill wait and copy paste and if still no fun just move on.. bad for cryptic tho if older financially supportive ppl start leaving having the younger crowd coming in wont keep game alive because less income = less done to keep game running = eventual death of game!!!!!! no biggie will not be first and certainly not the last
  • kranky#1106 kranky Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    dionchi said:

After the release of Mod16 veteran players will continue to play Neverwinter, continue to spend their money to support the game - or they won't....

New players will find Neverwinter challenging and fun, stick with the game become veteran players, spend a little money - or they won't...

And the game will survive (or it won't) depending on the revenue and funding it receives. Revenue drops and perhaps changes and future modifications will reflect the things the majority of players say they have a problem with – revenue stays the same or increases and perhaps the players will see more modifications of the type we see in Mod16.

At this point I figure it’s an experiment, players have been asking for and demanding “character class balance” for years yet few of those players who have been screaming for “character class balance” aren’t applauding the changes – because I figure they didn’t really want “balance” so much as they wanted a bump in their own individual character class attributes or a reduction for other character class attributes, disguised as a call for player class balance…

Well it seems to me Mod16 certainly provides “character class balance”. So much so that just about every character seems to be a ‘cookie cutter’ replicant of every other character class. Now each character can either run as a “DPS” character or a support character with fewer “powers”, “feats” and “boons” to choose from and many of those powers, feats and boons have also been modified to produce even more “balance” and more of a “cookie cutter” aspect to different player classes.

Whether these changes helps the game thrive, returns some of the interest in existing campaigns, quests, dungeons skirmishes or the new campaigns, quests, dungeons skirmishes introduced by Mod16 remains to be seen. I’ve been here since the first year of the game and will remain (and spend money) so long as I find the game entertaining – as games should be. Should the game lose it’s entertainment value for and since I have no plan to single handedly provide the revenue to support the game, if Neverwinter loses it entertainment value I’ll probably try to find another FTP MMORPG to my liking, possibly checking back periodically to see what if any changes have been made – or I won’t.

But it is what it is…

My 2¢

exactly correct on most of what you said but lets be honest veteran players keep a game alive as they already have an investment in the game and will only leave if pushed hard enough the wrong way. but getting new players will be much harder and many look at the internet or youtube ect to see if a game is to their liking and with tons and tons of negative talk it will be a slow process replacing large numbers of players.

that said i agree i really like some of the new stuff and some i do not but i am willing to see how it works out BUT the terrible job on tanking roles has me already with one foot out the door. my gf right now does pretty good he is not elite but i can taunt/agro and keep my group safe i have tried so mant times on preview and im sorry but it does not work a gf as a single target threat generation is pointless as almost everywhere you go you need to maintain threat/agro on groups of mobs and it does not work period. if they cannot fix that (especially after destroying paladins) the player base loss may be to much for the game to recover from. but correct if it does it does many more and better maintained games with devs who actually care about the ppl out there to worry about this one
    I just don't buy this argument that they are purposely trying to get rid of players for MTG.

For a company that runs multiple multi-player games it doesn't seem logical to force out one of their games and if this were the case it gives them bad reputation. IF we are being forced out of NW through making the game less and less fun why would we be inclined to try out MTG when it comes out?

I just don't buy this argument. I think they are trying to stream line the code which ultimately means stream lining the features too. They are doing this so they can put less labor into changes, tweaks, or balancing. This makes more sense to me. Unfortunately it does have a side effect that causes players to leave.

Cryptic is in an okay position since they have multiple games bringing them revenue that if one of their games hits a low point in revenue they don't immediately jump ship like a developer would that only has a single game for their income. My point being that I believe they are not concerned at all if players get upset with the changes and leave. In fact I bet they did a cost benefit analysis of this and perhaps they have the numbers but if 60% leave they are fine with that. I dunno the actual numbers but I can see this being the case that they are really not concerned. I could be wrong but I doubt it.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Sorry, no. I'm not the one playing agent provocateur here.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    krumple01 said:

I just don't buy this argument that they are purposely trying to get rid of players for MTG.

For a company that runs multiple multi-player games it doesn't seem logical to force out one of their games and if this were the case it gives them bad reputation. IF we are being forced out of NW through making the game less and less fun why would we be inclined to try out MTG when it comes out?

I just don't buy this argument. I think they are trying to stream line the code which ultimately means stream lining the features too. They are doing this so they can put less labor into changes, tweaks, or balancing. This makes more sense to me. Unfortunately it does have a side effect that causes players to leave.

Cryptic is in an okay position since they have multiple games bringing them revenue that if one of their games hits a low point in revenue they don't immediately jump ship like a developer would that only has a single game for their income. My point being that I believe they are not concerned at all if players get upset with the changes and leave. In fact I bet they did a cost benefit analysis of this and perhaps they have the numbers but if 60% leave they are fine with that. I dunno the actual numbers but I can see this being the case that they are really not concerned. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

It's not "trying to get rid" of certain players.
    It is favoring certain player demographics over others.
    It's called Market Segmentation...
    ... one second... paging Translator Took-Bot.

Market segmentation is the process of dividing a market of potential customers into groups, or segments, based on different characteristics. The segments created are composed of consumers who will respond similarly to marketing strategies and who share traits such as similar interests, needs and spending habits.
    Beep Boop.

In this case, making the game more appealing to new and low-geared players.
    This type of Market Segmentation would only make good business sense if that segment increases overall revenue...
    That last part is unclear.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
This discussion has been closed.