test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official M16: Wizard

191011121315»

Comments

• fns2005fns2005 Member Posts: 350 Arc User
    > @vordayn said:
    For Maelstrom of Chaos, reworking it into a large AoE power such as 'Lightning Storm' would probably be more fun (e.g. similar in animation to Split the Sky for HRs, but having the lightning bolt animations that the druids in Barovia summon). It would shock each mob within per second, with a 30% chance to cause stuns whenever shocked. As it is, Maelstrom's control effect is practically useless, it is too slow to cast, the AoE imprecise, and as you mentioned knockback is not useful in many settings.

This would be a cool Maelstrom of Chaos! ;)
  • lukejones77lukejones77 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 282 Arc User

aganway said:

Because as the name suggests, it is a 'Control' Wizard. Clerics heal, tanks take damage and draw aggro, others do DPS, let Control Wizards have a control build. Our control mechanic is not being fully realized. As I stated in the above post, they could easily survive with the protection mechanism I suggested. I read one girl ages ago I forget on what post and where it was, saying that she was sick of seeing Control Wizards who acted like pseudo TR's but without the knives. CW is not all about DPS, it's also about control. It's in the freaking name. Look, you would have two extremely fun and viable tree choices in Control Wizard, one would do all the pure DPS with all spells handy for those who need or enjoy that build, you would have another extremely viable choice in the control version. As there are loadouts, people already can swap around to suit what they need for a battle, so it makes sense to group all the DPS damage aspects of the build into one place. The other choice contains all the controls/de-buffs for party support.

I mean, there's a reason they're removing the word Control from the Control Wizard...
    Absolutely. There have been 5 1/2 versions of D&D, and in all of them the Wizard has just been a "Wizard", except for the most hated D&D version, 4th edition, where it was "Control Wizard".
    The only reason Neverwinter started with "Control Wizard", was that it's inception was at the time of D&D 4th edition, and Cryptic are meant to keep in sync with D&D.
    D&D went back to "Wizard" years ago, and it's time that we did the same.

Giving the Wizard a *role* of Control has been too difficult anyway. It was too powerful to allow for bosses, so Wizards became "mob controllers". That was too problematic, since all other classes could blow mobs away, and were only concerned with boss fights, Control Wizards started getting left out in the cold.
    Arguably, other DPS classes had great control options anyway (some of them better than what CWs had), making it even worse for wizards.
    Just as with other classes, you can still make control a viable fun thing, without designing CWs to rely on it for relevance to parties, so I'm pretty happy with where the DEVs have put us :)
  • lukejones77lukejones77 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 282 Arc User

From the latest Patch Notes:

terramak said:

Ratings have been rebalanced per player feedback and performance.
    Ratings now convert at a rate of 1000 points = 1% (changed from 500 = 1%).
    Enemy ratings for Critical Strike, Deflect, Combat Advantage, and Defense are now higher than the other ratings, so that their counter-ratings retain some value for players.
    Defense now caps at 50% damage reduction.

With this change, an additional change is needed for Eye of the Storm class feature to remain competitive with other features. It should now provide 20 000 Crit Chance rating to remain the same 20% crit chance bonus as it was.

Also, I hope that at least some of my earlier suggestions would be implemented before Undermountain release, especially the ones regarding class features and PP feats. They don't need much balancing and would simply make feats more Paragon Path-oriented and class features more universal for different kinds of players.

If crit is still capped at 50% after Eye of the Storm activates, it's a rubbish class feature - almost whatever the crit chance bonus is.
    Recall that it's also only active for 5 seconds every 20 seconds, which is a 25% up-time.
    As it stands, 10,000 is essentially a +10% chance x 25% = average of 2.5% real increase, making it the worst class feature by far. It's even worse if the bonus took you past the cap.
    > @vordayn said:
    Earthquake
    Animation: Pound fist into ground causing a concentric rippling in the earth with shards of rock bursting through
    AoE: 50' area around caster
    Effect: Prones targets in affected area and causes bludgeoning (50/50 physical/magical) damage. Mastery would prone for an additional second and cause 10% more damage.

This would be so cool!
    > @zimxero#8085 said:
    > Give us back the entagling force on mastery 1 arcane stack per enemy.:)
    >
    >
    >
    > I agree, except I would swap Entangling Force with Shard of the Endless Avalanche first.
    >
    > With Entangling Force in the Arcanist Paragon, have mastery give 2 arcane stacks. This will help with stack maintenance on single or multi target casts, and make it possible to actually get to 10 stacks for those that choose that feat.

Entangling Force is great for pvp and should be shared.
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited April 2019

Absolutely. There have been 5 1/2 versions of D&D, and in all of them the Wizard has just been a "Wizard", except for the most hated D&D version, 4th edition, where it was "Control Wizard".
    The only reason Neverwinter started with "Control Wizard", was that it's inception was at the time of D&D 4th edition, and Cryptic are meant to keep in sync with D&D.
    D&D went back to "Wizard" years ago, and it's time that we did the same.

Actually Wizards were just called Wizards in 4E as well, the 2 (or 3) word names for classes was purely a Neverwinter affection, presumably to help explain the classes better like the target audience couldn’t get it. I never understood the need for Neverwinter naming, because GWF should always have been Barbarian.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
    > @rysiek86 said:
    -"unleashing electrical storms upon their foes." . . . Where ?? When ?? How ?? What spell ??
    -"or stealing time from their enemies to empower themselves" . . . Does it mean we will get some change on Steal Time ?? or by empower themselves u mean 1 stack of arcane mastery ??

This - One stack for you Glen Coco lol.
    > @aganway said:
    > Control spell example: You see a couple of your team mates being mobbed by enemies, you throw down a large golden lassoo on the ground around them and setting the spell-off gathers all those enemies within the circle you have placed down and throws them all quickly in one direction to a distance of 50 meters and throws them on their backs. Used as an encounter, you are able to repeatedly drag mobs off your team mates from 80 meters away and give them some breathing space.

Wonder Woman!!
  • quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    Remove chill and lightning from Arcanist and put em in Thaumaturge. Rename Thaumaturge to Elementalist. Make more arcane powers for arcanist.

Still put off by the McMenu of spell choices we have, feels more like a Sorcerer than a Wizard. However each path should make sense if the wizard is thought to have done some sort of school specialization I guess, thus limiting the selection of spells available.

Idk about other classes as I only ever really played my CW, but I think the new class changes might not impact the feel of those classes as much as it did for Wizards, who have always had an entire spell book to choose spells from for specific situations. I understand there just isn't a need for some spells in NWO, there aren't skill checks, and there aren't any real role playing scenerios built into the game, it's all just smash smash smash, but still, the choices Wizards have now is very limiting, I think maybe if anything, they should be one class that has more powers/spells to choose from. Like fighters and barbarians mostly just swing their swords/axes/whatever, but Wizards have always needed to prepare properly.

• volsalex#4337 volsalex Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Noticed changes from the latest patch:
    - Entangling Force: damage reduced by ~30% (525 -> 375 Magnitude)
    - Lightning Bolt: now replaced the Sudden Storm's name, at-will is again called Storm Pillar
    - Empowering Flames: Replaced by Frigid Winds (with is base effect)
    - Frigid Winds: Replaced by feat Iced Lightning (Storm Pillar, Lightning Bolt, Storm Spell and Storm Fury deal 10% more damage to targets with Chill)
    -

* It is good to have more lightning feats for Arcanist tree, but why is the new feat connected to Chill? Arcanist can mass stack Chill with only Icy Terrain / stack Chill with only Ray of Frost, so the feat is pretty much useless if they are not slotted.
    * Is there any chance we could get the Spell Mastery effect for Entangling Force back? Even if it is left at shared powers, its Mastery effect would still be useful for both PP's and they would still lose 1 Aoe Encounter slot to use the pull effect for better placement of enemies.
    * Swath of Destruction is still underwhelming compared to other Wizard's class features (2% damage increase against ~4-5% damage increase, quite weak, even if it increases damage for everybody, not only the Wizard himself)
    * Eye of the Storm still needs its bonus increased to 20000 and possibility to get crit chance past the 50% cap to stay at least competitive with other class features.
    * Imprisonment still needs its Spell Mastery bonus increased to stay competitive with Ray of Enfeeblement Spell Mastery bonus.
  • rysiek86rysiek86 Member Posts: 145 Arc User

Why Maelstrom of Chaos is not affected by Iced Lightning feat ??
    Because it is so bad Daily that noone uses it ... so why to bother to boost it by a feat that boost lightning themed skills.... doooh
    Ok. Frustrations to the side and few more ideas that can make Wizard accaptable to play. 4 changes in my opinion are crutial: 2 encounters, 2 dailies and 2 minor updates to a passives.

Encounters

Entangling Force
    Spell Mastery MUST be bringed back to give an opportuniny to Arcanist to build up additional arcane mastery, in addition pulled targets that give arcane stacks should get some damage (125magnitude to main target,50 magnitude to 5 sorrounding targets = still 375 magnitude like in not master slot Entangling Force) to make it a fantastic AoE Spell for Arcanist and great Single Target choice.With such change Thaumaturge would also use the Entangling Force to build up arcane stacks for mixup with Arcane Presence. Take away the Icy terrain mastery effect in trade of Entangling Force mastery please, oone uses Terrain on mastery anyway :).

Shard of Endless Avalanche
    Bring the "Potato" a skillshot again :) First cast summons a boulder in desired location (and the boulder falls from above).If the Shard contacts any target (even 1 target) it explodes. When the Wizard missaims the Shard, second cast tosses the boulder to a desired location if the boulder didnt explode on impact with targets while summoned. Basicly in short... The mastery effect on Shard applayed to any encounter slot would cure this spell. There is no need to any other change... just make the encounter fun to use and there is nothing more to change... You have this mechanics... this is nothing new.

Dailies

My main concern in daily powers is the knockback mechanic... it is a disaster. If you wanna give the "survival" character to a skill how about makin it that way:

Ice Storm
    If target hit by Ice Storm has any stack of chill applayed it gets frozen. If a frozen target gets hit by Ice Storm the freeze effect extends by additional 2 sec. (pvp targets 1sec.). Simple solution to erasing awful knockback.

Maelstrom of Chaos
    Long cast time should reward us with a huge effect with lightning sparks all around us in radious 40' and a big lightning fallin from the sky paralizing (Prone effect instead of Knockback) all targets hit for 1sec. Come on, its a daily, it honestly looks like an encounter in current state. Make it big, willing to be cast by players !!
    Also as a lightning themed spell it is not affected by the Iced Lightning t3 feat. from Arcanist Paragon Path. Is it intended ??

The last thing i would like to see in game is Thaumaturge passive skill changed.
    Frost Wave - When you activate a Daily power you consume all applyed stacks of chill from the targets sorrounding you. Targets affected by Frost Wave take 1% more damage from all sources for each stack of chill consumed for 10 sec. (max 10%). It would make a Frost Wave an exelent buffin passive that occures in very strict situations. It would be great in crouded fights, a massive buff for a party, and a good option for single target fight. Having an additional 6% damage buff in certain circumstances would be a great addition to mixup with Swath of Destruction. Which could be changed to

Swath of Destruction
    Make it 4% damage bonus. 2% is not funny joke. With 4% buff and with changes I have suggested.Some Wizards could finally close up to the supportive role as some are willing to play.
    In summary
    To achive max buffs from Wizard in that case would be rather difficult but possible. A skilled player will utilize his Wizard to be a great party addition. With such changes we could get soooo much diversity to the class. Those are a reasonable suggestions, that can be applayed easly to the game.
    With such changes I would say that Wizard would be more than pleasing to play. It would be almost perfect class for me. We have only 10 days to the launch of mod 16. If such changes could come to life... would be amazing.
  • ralf1835ralf1835 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 18 Arc User
    "The wizard paragon path Arcanist utilizes arcane and electrical magic to power their attacks. Whether they are summoning arcane bolts from the sky, unleashing electrical storms upon their foes, or stealing time from their enemies to empower themselves, Arcanists have a variety of options on how to fight."

Let's look at "stealing time from their enemies to empower themselves" if you think stealing from "enemis" one stack of arcane mastery is "buff" for wizard, I'm just disappointed really if encounter give to wizard only one stack of arcane.

About additional effect on Spell Mastery or you give for all encounters or remove it for all, this is not a demo version "we must thing about additional effect". I understand that you have a lot of work and other things, but giving something in half is not funny, I know this is not a difficult task because you've easily changed Rapel to AOE, you can changed eg:
    FtF aoe damage for huge single target damage on spell mastery slot.
    Icy Rays return effeckt from live server or each stack of chill increased additional damage
    Conduit of Ice each tick add additional stack of chill (I think this is better than some 10% more damage, but this is just my suggestion)
    Entangling Force no comment, I think this is forgotten encounter by developers I have not the foggiest idea, why do you persistently hold him as only single target, all you need to do is copy from live server additional effect on SM
    SotEA omg another encounter forgotten by developers, do something with it, you have ideas from the players
    Lighting Bolt effect SM from live server is more sophisticated than 10% more damage
    Steal Time sad...
    Disintegrate simple focused beam here can be 10% more damage from SM,

feats Frigid Winds and Iced Lightning at last, any light fell on Wizard thank you.
  • soulaeterr2soulaeterr2 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    i cant use the red text but, BUG: the life lessons boon doesnt seem to work. i have tried to use it but dont get the sign next to my icon (like with the others). and have no other way of checking if it works. dont know if the icon or abilitie is bugged but wanted to let u guys know
  • soulaeterr2soulaeterr2 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    ok the boon does seem to work (i think) but an indicator like with the other boons could still be helpfull'
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    While I agree with much of the bottom line... that the game is slower and at times (not ALL the time) boring now, I do not share the Doom & Gloom of others. The worst aspects of mod 16 can be changed over time, and the best aspects retained. A lot can be done to increase the pace in the future:

1) Enemies that do more damage and have less health
    2) Installing an inherent 100% recharge boost when out of combat
    3) Bringing back more recharge and action point gain sources, in a slow and calculated manner.
    4) Increase the value of positioning (give stacking CA bonus when in a natural CA position, when CA is already achieved)
    5) things not even thought of yet
    > @mebengalsfan#9264 said:
    > It is far from either; it is more like a casual game you play when yaren't quiet ready for bed yet but need your body to get bored so it falls asleep faster, that is what NWO mod 16 brings to the table. A game designed to help you get ready for bed.

Lol we'll be so bored wailing away with at wills waiting for encounters to recharge we'll get sleepy ;)
    > @fns2005 said:
    > > @mebengalsfan#9264 said:
    > > It is far from either; it is more like a casual game you play when yaren't quiet ready for bed yet but need your body to get bored so it falls asleep faster, that is what NWO mod 16 brings to the table. A game designed to help you get ready for bed.
    >
    > Lol we'll be so bored wailing away with at wills waiting for encounters to recharge we'll get sleepy ;)

That just described Mod 15 for me...
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    One thing I have to say about "solving only one viable build slash encounter set" is, I have been messing around with pvp, and found a build that works well for me, though I do use the same encounters, and as far as I know isn't the same as what everyone else is using. And in PVE I do switch encounters based on mob size and formation.

Personally, I think they could have also left the feats separate from paragon paths, like maybe I want to play MoF with Arcanist feats, instead of SSM/Arcanist that is currently forced on us. Or maybe I want to focus on Lightning with more chill feats that are in thaumaturge paragon path. With the current system, those options are not available.

They should've lefts feats and nonparagon-specific powers available to both paragons, like in the soon to be 'legacy' system. Sure, get rid of power points, get rid of most feats, but they could of had 3 or 4 rows of feats to choose from instead of 2, like have 1 row specific to smolder or lightning effects, while the others are general chill/arcane based feats available to both paragon paths. Cuz in the end, Arcanist is basically a neutered SSM, and Thaumaturge a lobotomized MoF, .......rant.....rant....rant...........

You know, they could add more options later...

I still feel very much like this is a foundation. Get that all working smoothly (and there is a lot still to do). Then you can add stuff. Despite how limited this model is now, it seems to me it has a lot more scope for growth in new and interesting directions than the old model.

For example, it’s much easier to just add 5 more feats to each paragon now to introduce new options in builds. I can imagine adding more dailies, more at-wills, and so on. All inside this current framework, and all without raising the level cap.

I actually have more trouble seeing how to add more Boons, than powers and feats.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock