test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official M16: Ranger

Comments

• rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User

I'm trying to figure out why hindering shot has charges, but also has a timer? The whole point of having charges is to allow you to unload those 3 charges in a quick burst.... the timer kind of kills that. The timer should only apply AFTER you've used up the 3 charges.

I actually like the way it is.
    I use it to aply Prey on targets, plus the roots can shorten the colldow
    Again, personal opinion here
    the burst would be nice for dmg but could give us the same problem fighter had with Griffin Wraht encounter... and we would lose time in mob control with the roots...
  • kythelion#3210 kythelion Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    rafaelda said:

I'm trying to figure out why hindering shot has charges, but also has a timer? The whole point of having charges is to allow you to unload those 3 charges in a quick burst.... the timer kind of kills that. The timer should only apply AFTER you've used up the 3 charges.

the burst would be nice for dmg but could give us the same problem fighter had with Griffin Wraht encounter... and we would lose time in mob control with the roots...
    Yup, this. I'd rather have no charges and just a really short cooldown or have three independent charges on timers the way it is. I also like it, but could see changing it to no charges so it can interact with feats and features better. I want no part of the GW style of power. That thing sucks.
  • artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User

Also, is anyone else having trouble with flurry? It seems to be proccing inconsistently for me, but I can't pinpoint the trigger. I was using pg, hindering, steel breeze, and oak skin at the times I noticed it wasn't proccing all the time.

I've only tested all encounters quickly after @durugudesu reported Throw Caution not working. For me they all work except TC.

Plant Growth is a thing of the past and Steel Breeze deals encounter-level damage so I don't use them but Hindering Strike tends to fizzle when used on uneven terrain or right after shifting but apart from that I didn't notice any inconsistency. The problem with uneven terrain seems to be common to all AoE attacks in mod16.
  • fenrir4lifefenrir4life Member Posts: 295 Arc User
    artifleur said:

The problem with uneven terrain seems to be common to all AoE attacks in mod16.

I think they could fix this by turning all AoEs into spheres or appropriate sections thereof. Even if it's still described as a burst or cone or whatever, the hitbox of a given power should occupy at least as much vertical space as the character model that's using it. If the power's target indicator or range band includes fewer enemies than that power's target cap, all of those enemies should be hit, regardless of what they may or may not be standing on.

rafaelda said:

Yup, this. I'd rather have no charges and just a really short cooldown or have three independent charges on timers the way it is. I also like it, but could see changing it to no charges so it can interact with feats and features better. I want no part of the GW style of power. That thing sucks.
    No charges and one third of the time cooldown would be a really good choice
    artifleur said:

Also, is anyone else having trouble with flurry? It seems to be proccing inconsistently for me, but I can't pinpoint the trigger. I was using pg, hindering, steel breeze, and oak skin at the times I noticed it wasn't proccing all the time.

I've only tested all encounters quickly after @durugudesu reported Throw Caution not working. For me they all work except TC.

Plant Growth is a thing of the past and Steel Breeze deals encounter-level damage so I don't use them but Hindering Strike tends to fizzle when used on uneven terrain or right after shifting but apart from that I didn't notice any inconsistency. The problem with uneven terrain seems to be common to all AoE attacks in mod16.
    I've been liking pg for the dot while leveling. And I'm using hindering and constricting for roots, which leaves me with steel breeze. It's not an optimal end game rotation probably, but it's been working great as a leveling rotation.
  • durugudesudurugudesu Member Posts: 555 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    artifleur said:

In preview, one of my loadouts has hindering shot on 0 charges, making it perpetually always on cooldown so i cant swap it out of my power tray. On other loadouts, it works fine, but on that one loadout, it is always zero.

Not a big thing for me, but for people with fewer loadouts, this can be FRUSTRATING

Does it remain at 0 if you change to that loadout and then change zone?
    I changed loadouts and it was still zero(only on that one loadout). I was in shores of tuern, but didnt think of changing maps/instances. I'll check it when I have time to pop in game.

edit:
    Now im back in PE, hindering shot now started to go on cooldown. I now have 3 charges on it.
    Post edited by durugudesu on
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User

artifleur said:

I think they could fix this by turning all AoEs into spheres or appropriate sections thereof. Even if it's still described as a burst or cone or whatever, the hitbox of a given power should occupy at least as much vertical space as the character model that's using it. If the power's target indicator or range band includes fewer enemies than that power's target cap, all of those enemies should be hit, regardless of what they may or may not be standing on.
    Just putting the targeting reticle at shin height rather than on the ground would solve most of the uneven ground issue, but giving it some height also works.
  • fenrir4lifefenrir4life Member Posts: 295 Arc User

artifleur said:

Just putting the targeting reticle at shin height rather than on the ground would solve most of the uneven ground issue, but giving it some height also works.
    Also thinking of the little spiders that are immune to some overhead attacks- heavy slash, anvil, and griffon for the fighter, for example.
  • feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    So scaling doesn't work, damage is still too low, movement is still too slow, cooldowns are still too long, stamina regeneration is still too slow, animations are still too long, division of powers between paradigms is still nonsensical, the dodge is still too short, the pointless and awful nerf to aspect of the pack is still there, levels at which players acquire powers are still nonsensical, bugs are everywhere and this thing is going to go live much too soon. But be happy, we're an "overbalanced" class. We're "in a good place right now."

My suggestion: forget accuracy and awareness. Just drop them. It's obvious there's too much work to do and it isn't going well. Put the effects of primary stats back where they belong. Undo binding to account from the enchantment exchange. Put movement boosts back. Undo the AotP nerf. Undo the Longstrider's Shot changes. Work on balancing classes, making powers functional and useful and shelve everything else until a later mod. Learn from the gigantic, glaring mistakes of mod 6 that appear to be about to recur on a higher order of magnitude.

Oh, and give players a path other than Tales of Old to get that artifact gear. People with jobs and lives don't have time to find a good party to successfully grind the same boring dungeon 27 times in six sessions in three days with minimal deaths. It's a terrible idea to require it.
  • fns2005fns2005 Member Posts: 350 Arc User
    > @lordaeolos said:
    > Did a quick test...
    >
    > Test Conditions:
    >
    > -"Pimped out" Ranger 23k IL with rank 15 bondings (test #1 - #3)
    > -19k IL Barbarian with rank 14 bondings (test #4)
    > -1 minute timer for each test on target dummies in stronghold
    > -each test was repeated three times, only the best test result is displayed
    > -each test started with full action points
    > -no artifacts or mount powers were used
    > -damage tracked in ACT
    > -summoned companion was chultan tiger
    >
    > test #1: Hunter paragon, archery focused feats and encounters, Best DPS in 1 minute: 5,775,504
    >
    > test #2: Hunter paragon, trapper focused feats and encounters, Best DPS in 1 minute: 4,542,665
    >
    > test #3: Warden paragon, melee focused feats and encounters, Best DPS in 1 minute: 4,562,792
    >
    > test #4: Barbarian Blademaster, Best DPS in 1 minute: 9,442,025 (lowest was ~8,700,000)
    >
    > This outlines what many of us have been saying in this thread, the Ranger is currently not competing with other DPS classes, and the warden is not in balance with the hunter. It's pretty eye opening when another class with ~4k less Item level so completely demolishes the Ranger in every respect. I could repeat this test result comparing the Ranger to the Wizard, or the Rogue.. and the results would look similar.

Barbies OP again...no surprise.
  • fns2005fns2005 Member Posts: 350 Arc User
    > @jonkoca said:
    > I do keep reading the barbie thread, it's just the tears constantly blur my vision.

This made me LOL!!
    °
    fns2005 said:

> @lordaeolos said:

> Did a quick test...

>

> Test Conditions:

>

> -"Pimped out" Ranger 23k IL with rank 15 bondings (test #1 - #3)

> -19k IL Barbarian with rank 14 bondings (test #4)

> -1 minute timer for each test on target dummies in stronghold

> -each test was repeated three times, only the best test result is displayed

> -each test started with full action points

> -no artifacts or mount powers were used

> -damage tracked in ACT

> -summoned companion was chultan tiger

>

> test #1: Hunter paragon, archery focused feats and encounters, Best DPS in 1 minute: 5,775,504

>

> test #2: Hunter paragon, trapper focused feats and encounters, Best DPS in 1 minute: 4,542,665

>

> test #3: Warden paragon, melee focused feats and encounters, Best DPS in 1 minute: 4,562,792

>

> test #4: Barbarian Blademaster, Best DPS in 1 minute: 9,442,025 (lowest was ~8,700,000)

>

> This outlines what many of us have been saying in this thread, the Ranger is currently not competing with other DPS classes, and the warden is not in balance with the hunter. It's pretty eye opening when another class with ~4k less Item level so completely demolishes the Ranger in every respect. I could repeat this test result comparing the Ranger to the Wizard, or the Rogue.. and the results would look similar.

Barbies OP again...no surprise.

In a real Fight barbarians and any Melee fighter (HR as well) will need to dodge a lot of red areas now, and wil the slower combat the time moving between targets is a important factor on real dmg, plus barbarian should have more dmg in a single target boss fight, thing is that the gap is a bit to hight...

Another interesting thing we can get from your test is that archery may be our best option for next mod with the setups youre using, since applying all the movement ranged would be the less affected and even less on group content...
  • lordaeoloslordaeolos Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    rafaelda said:

In a real Fight barbarians and any Melee fighter (HR as well) will need to dodge a lot of red areas now, and wil the slower combat the time moving between targets is a important factor on real dmg, plus barbarian should have more dmg in a single target boss fight, thing is that the gap is a bit to hight...

Another interesting thing we can get from your test is that archery may be our best option for next mod with the setups youre using, since applying all the movement ranged would be the less affected and even less on group content...

This test was a few patches ago, Barbarian has since come down in damage, a melee style warden is now best in AOE, and the Hunter "archer" is best in single target, and Hunter "root build" shows a lot of promise but is plagued by stance switching bugs and is "hindered" by Hindering strike not work correctly.. we will see if there are any fixes or patch notes today that changes this. I'm not holding my breathe though, it feels like the Ranger is pretty low on the priority list... today's patch will determine if I am ditching the Ranger as my main, and switching to the Wizard
    "Lord Willow"
    Guild Leader: Mistaken Identity (formerly Midnight Express)
    My Twitch Stream
    See my Youtube Channel for guides and more

"Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events."
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited April 2019

rafaelda said:

This test was a few patches ago, Barbarian has since come down in damage, a melee style warden is now best in AOE, and the Hunter "archer" is best in single target, and Hunter "root build" shows a lot of promise but is plagued by stance switching bugs and is "hindered" by Hindering strike not work correctly.. we will see if there are any fixes or patch notes today that changes this. I'm not holding my breathe though, it feels like the Ranger is pretty low on the priority list... today's patch will determine if I am ditching the Ranger as my main, and switching to the Wizard
    I feel similar, only very unsure if I wanna start over again since the whole companion issue is a huge investment for switching main.

Time will tell if Ranger (and if I like the build for that) can deal decent dmg compared to other dps classes on the end version, tho. 'Cause in the end HR went live with bugs and imbalances everybody already knew of before too. There will be lot of fixes after 23rd, and I doubt HR is gonna be on many patchnotes, in the end.
    - bye bye -
  • lordaeoloslordaeolos Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User

I feel similar, only very unsure if I wanna start over again since the whole companion issue is a huge investment for switching main.

Time will tell if Ranger (and if I like the build for that) can deal decent dmg compared to other dps classes on the end version, tho. 'Cause in the end HR went live with bugs and imbalances everybody already knew of before too. There will be lot of fixes after 23rd, and I doubt HR is gonna be on many patchnotes, in the end.

I'm one of those "freaks" with multiple 18k+ characters, so switching my main is really about which character gets the love first in the new mod. Historically I always did new campaigns, gear upgrades and enchantment overhauls in this order: HR, OP, CW, DC, GWF, SW, TR, GF. So when I say I will ditch my Ranger as main in the next mod, it just means I'm bumping it down the list. Based on current state I'm probably going to be: Wiz, Pal, Wrlck, Rngr, Barbie, Cl, Fghtr, Rogue. Then again if the scaling goes live like it is now, I may strip down all my highly geared alts, sells all those rank 14 enchants, and replace with rank 7's.. in current state you don't need anything better than a rank 7 for scaled 70 content... so I can just rotate through those alts to get the maximum RAD from RLQ, RIQ,RAQ, REQ, and I would not incur any wasted upgrades penalties. If I only do upgrades on a single DPS and the OP I can fill any party role for LMM. Like I stated earlier, today's patch (if there is one) will be what determines what my Mod 16 plan is.

"Lord Willow"
    Guild Leader: Mistaken Identity (formerly Midnight Express)
    My Twitch Stream
    See my Youtube Channel for guides and more

"Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events."
    edited April 2019

rafaelda said:

You got my hopes up again man XD
    have to log after the next pacth on both to see what i feel, will use the same enchants and runesjust to be fair whan i compare the results !

jules#6770 i dnt have many hight geared toons but after mod 6 i planned to have all 5 toons with the same boons, or at least close to it because AI is a boring Pain...
    This way i can just send enchantmens and insigneas to the "main toon" the other 4 have atm 3stats and bondings all on rank 8, (that i plan to level to 9 soon) + blue insigneas...

this makes easyer to change the focus when "balance" hits your main...

PS. Anyway to do this i almost avoid endgame content since my main is not at 17k yet
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User

Oh, and give players a path other than Tales of Old to get that artifact gear. People with jobs and lives don't have time to find a good party to successfully grind the same boring dungeon 27 times in six sessions in three days with minimal deaths. It's a terrible idea to require it.

it's not a great set anyway going into mod 16, so what's the worry? lol.
    edited April 2019
    anyone done any testing with the new patch out today? I haven't been following a long closely enough to know what to look for. I'm trying to avoid turning into hulk smash because my toon does no hulk smash
    Well, we can swap stances now. That's about all that changed.
  • ragnarz2ragnarz2 Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    my DPS was reduced by 1/3. HR was barely decent before, now horrible.
  • zerappuszerappus Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    Hunter Ranger Feedback.

Rain of Arrows need serious buff.

Long cast x Long animation x damage-over-time x low damage x short duration x long cool down.

Spammable, direct damage at-will Split Shot has same dps.

Marauder's Escape
    is hitting less than Aimed Shot with mobs. It is supposed to be 420 magnitude, aka double the damage of Aimed Shot. Rain of Arrows is also hitting very low vs mobs.

The Developers spent 5+ weeks tending to Barbarian Feedback while giving Ranger 0 time for our Feedbacks. We waited patiently. A lot of people are upset at @Asterdahl since he is basically perfecting the Barbarians. You cannot please these guys.
    They are used to hitting triple the average class damage and still scale up! The mobs they kill in 3 seconds we have to set up, position and execute in 10 seconds on live. It's absolutely stupid.

Look at a few of their "complaints":
    - "I cant' solo high level HE"
    - "I can't solo Epic Dungeons"
    - "I one-shot the Gorillas (WOW), but I have wait for cooldown."
    - "I used to obliterate mobs with just at-will and self buffs"

These guys expect a steady stream of high burst damage. They expect the same old Repeating Shotgun damage with self-buffs.
    And while the Barbarians are getting all these attention, we get no response to our specific Feedbacks.

The Barbarians have high mobility, direct damage, short cast, short animation, burst damage, self heal, self buff. Practically everything positive.

Meanwhile Ranger dodge is still half of other classes with no other mobility bonus whatsoever. Our encounters have long cast, long animation, low damage, indirect damage, damage-over-time and short duration.

We have to cast long and finish long animation
    We have to make sure the mobs are in the area
    We have to wait for the low damage over time over a very short duration.

While the barbarian just chuck instant direct burst damage with practically no animation. These guys are complaining of One-Shotting Gorillas because they have to wait for cooldown. That's a complaint?

Suggestions:

Increase the damage of dots or
    Increase the duration of dots or
    Lower the cooldown or
    Lower the animations.

You guys have to factor in these bad synergy combinations. And stop giving Barbarians perfect synergy. That's what caused this conundrum in the first place: You stacked all the positives one one class (nee GWF/Barbarians).

Have you looked at battle fury? None of the Barbie's use it but they basically got our lss.
    zerappus said:

Hunter Ranger Feedback.

Long cast x Long animation x damage-over-time x low damage x short duration x long cool down.

Marauder's Escape
    is hitting less than Aimed Shot with mobs. It is supposed to be 420 magnitude, aka double the damage of Aimed Shot. Rain of Arrows is also hitting very low vs mobs.

The Developers spent 5+ weeks tending to Barbarian Feedback while giving Ranger 0 time for our Feedbacks. We waited patiently. A lot of people are upset at @Asterdahl since he is basically perfecting the Barbarians. You cannot please these guys.
    They are used to hitting triple the average class damage and still scale up! The mobs they kill in 3 seconds we have to set up, position and execute in 10 seconds on live. It's absolutely stupid.

These guys expect a steady stream of high burst damage. They expect the same old Repeating Shotgun damage with self-buffs.
    And while the Barbarians are getting all these attention, we get no response to our specific Feedbacks.

The Barbarians have high mobility, direct damage, short cast, short animation, burst damage, self heal, self buff. Practically everything positive.

Meanwhile Ranger dodge is still half of other classes with no other mobility bonus whatsoever. Our encounters have long cast, long animation, low damage, indirect damage, damage-over-time and short duration.

While the barbarian just chuck instant direct burst damage with practically no animation. These guys are complaining of One-Shotting Gorillas because they have to wait for cooldown. That's a complaint?

Suggestions:

Lower the cooldown or
    Lower the animations.

You guys have to factor in these bad synergy combinations. And stop giving Barbarians perfect synergy. That's what caused this conundrum in the first place: You stacked all the positives one one class (nee GWF/Barbarians).

we don't belong to asterdahl. we belong to noworries.

zerappus said:

Hunter Ranger Feedback.

Marauder's Escape

Suggestions:

Lower the cooldown or
    Lower the animations.

Yup. This.
    I dont know what changed but My Hr was Less dmg after the patch, at this point i'm not even reading the tooltips powers anymore.. just sad

Ps. for the record this is also true for CW and Fighter...
  • valiantshrew#2311 valiantshrew Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Can we get the radius of "Rain of Arrows" increased by a lot? we can barely get 3 mobs under it and they usually step outside of it easily.. sometimes, we miss our targets completely because of the really long casting time and animation. It also doesn't deal enough damage, especially against bosses. A radius close to or exactly like "Split the Sky" would great! The encounter feels veeeeery underwhelming and i am sure many people here agrees.

That tiny radius is absurd ...seriously...
  • feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User

And it sure would be nice if he did something other than nerf us and tell us we're "overbalanced" or "in a good place" and everything is going to be ok. We've been hearing it for years and it isn't any more true now than it was then.

This would be nice, but the damage reduction seems to be across the board and not further specific punishment for us. Not that it makes me feel any better about it.
  • kangkeokkangkeok Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    I feel that the developer did not design each power meticulously. All they do are just adjusting damage value to benchmark the overall dps. Not all power is about dps. Sometime its the high burst damage that makes it special. Take aim shot for example. Its high base damage are for finishing off a target or doing burst damage. Its damage should be high. Although if that makes the dps too high, the developer could easily increase its cast time. Both damage and cast time has to be balance so it does not takes too long to cast or do too little damage that its no longer a burst power.

The same goes with RoA. In my opinion RoA aoe radius should be bigger not only for the sake of PVE but also PVP. In pvp its so small that people could easily walk out of it not mention dodging it. In PVE, any mob could run pass it as well. Its damage should be high as well since its categorize as burst power. If RoA radius is to be increase to somewhere between split the sky and cordon of arrow radius, I guess people could accept that its damage is adjusted from high to medium and its cooldown increased by 2 sec.

Edit: Or if the developer feel hardworking and creative enough, instead of making the above changes, they could make RoA a channeled power where the damage area could be drag by the player to their desired direction throughout the duration of the channeling. Because its a channeled power, the damage has to be high, though the panning speed (or drag speed )has to be slow during the duration of the channelling. Ofcourse player could cancel it by dodging at anytime and put it to cooldown. That would be awesome and it solve the viability or RoA in pvp.

There are a lot of ways to redesign these power. Not all has to be adjusted through the damage value to make sure its balance. There are other variable like cast time and cooldown to play with. Most importantly is to have the power retain is function and not destroy its purpose by making monotonous adjustment to the damage value. The developer just need more creativity in this whole overhaul.
    Post edited by kangkeok on