test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Patch Notes: NW.105.20181121b.41

nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
edited April 2019 in Patch Notes (PC)
Note: Patch Notes apply to tomorrow's (April 11) maintenance.

Foundry Sunsetting
The Foundry is no longer available for authoring or play. See this post for details: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/11102923

For additional information, go here.
Post edited by nitocris83 on

Comments

• hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    Any chance you can feature some of the quests we've submitted for featuring? There's been a featuring drought for four years, which locks us authors out of a slew of achievements.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • lordtweety#3604 lordtweety Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    Did I miss the notes or was it just the decommissioning of the Foundry?
    Main: Angels Scar
    Guild: Ruathym Corsairs
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Man... this sucks....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    Yea, we lost one of the things that made NWO pretty unique. To be fair, though, the Foundry has been dying for a long time, they are just pulling the plug on the life support.

The point is that they were never able to solve the 3 big problems with the foundry:
    1. They could not set things up so that player-created content would give a decent reward/effort ratio. Meaning, that people could spend a lot of time playing the foundry and might enjoy the story, but got no loot or other rewards that justified the time spent, so most players did not consider it worth their time.
    2. They seem to have lost all the developers that originally designed/wrote the foundry, and just do not have the knowledge/skills required to maintain it, fix the bugs and update it with new resources as new modules were released.
    3. The foundry required a lot of extra effort every time a new module was released to republish existing content. With limited resources, the time required just was not available.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    The main issue with giving viable rewards was authors would intentionally make foundry quests that qualified for rewards but required a very minimum amount of effort, thus allowing easy farming beyond what they felt was acceptable. Cryptic found it impossible to balance those things, which is too bad. Couple that with the lack of support resources, there's no other viable decision but to remove it. This same calculation is what ultimately killed the Gateway too.

They should give every foundry author the pets for free as a consolation.

In any case, the foundry was in a coma for years - this is no surprise. Frankly, I'm not even sad... I stopped mourning the Foundry's death a long time ago.
  • draugkirdraugkir Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    Just another brick on the Wall.
  • vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    I played a few foundry quests from when the sunset was announced up until today. Some of the quests were very well thought out, beautifully designed and interesting to play. You could tell that the authors put a lot of love into their creations.

It is a shame that we won't even be able to play them anymore. Even if it doesn't need updating, why couldn't a few of the quests remain for people to still enjoy? Especially the ones which were spotlighted?

It seems like all I'll have left of them now are the memories. I took a slew of screenshots of some of my favorite quests. They will be missed.
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
  • delta2119delta2119 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    I just wish the feature was optional (opt-in if want to use it), that constant patching was annoying.
    Edit: I was wrong, the patching still going on so wasn't related to Foundry.
    Post edited by delta2119 on
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
    First, I would like to say that I did not run Foundry quest as often as I could/should have.
    With campaign tasks to complete, and a Guild to run, some times it was difficult to find the time.

But, that doesn't the diminish the respect I have for those that did author them.
    As a past DM for tabletop D&D, I can appreciate the amount of work that went into these. And I give kudos to all those that made Foundry quests and even more to those that made multiples and even campaigns.

As such, it is a shame to see this feature go. It was truly a feature that set this game (and STO) apart from other online games.
    But here in Neverwinter, it did bring us closer to tabletop D&D than most any other D&D based computer game ever made.

So we loose yet another component that made Neverwinter (and STO) stand out from the crowd.

Goodbye Foundry.
    :'(
  • ardeceanardecean Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    I authored some foundries, and found it very nice. they were used for guild recruitment, (to explain the guild and who they are with rules etc.) spend hours to days working on them to have a great time for players who played them. Hell I even made some use of foundries to introduce RL D&D campaigns I was running.

Alas i will miss the foundry.. this saddens me greatly to see it go like this.
    If you don't mind, It doesn't matter.
    TAW CC
    Shadows From Within Campaign
    Recruitment Forum
    The Art of Warfare
  • davidmokidavidmoki Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    I guess you forgot about the scaling for the event?
  • warrianswarrians Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    RIP the foundry. Funny thing how my gaming hard drive decided to die this morning just before the patch. It was almost as if it said "No foundry? then no NWO"
  • hastur905hastur905 Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    Not sure anyone is going to bother, but the scaling is off, in a very bad way on the event Tales of the Old. @nitocris83 @asterdahl
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    +1 gems have never been able to give double stones. Same way that they are not able to be used in most tasks that require you to use a normal one. It is something they said they will fix, but not until after Mod16 is released.
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    on EQ2's dungeon maker, they had content event, i got 5th place for Poet Palance "genie's gambit", they were surprised how i made few "ringleaders' a tough fight, made the game more enjoyable with right kind of challenges and scripts for solo players.
    and made 2nd dungeon, which i threw some shock to players, they wasnt expecting crafters as hostile mobs, defending the "workshop", so in the end goal was to destroy an ancient artifact that control local crafters. i didnt win anything, but just gain mementos from programmers when they just gave up designing new player made dungeons as other players begin to abuse for "XP exploition" and had to get shut down.

Cryptic's foundery, i never got it finish due to many bugs, and waited 5 years, not a fix made. wow, 5 years? sound like they dont want do it or too focus on other things, different kind of "priorities" and letting foundery to die on purposes.

it is sad when we created cool story and all we got was limited tools and others finds ways to abuse it.
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    I think they lost a great golden opportunity with the foundry. I think they just lacked the imagination to make it work. They could have built in a system where players place spawn points for random mobs based on the level range for the quest level. Then what they do is build a placement total. A foundry maker would have to place X number of mob spawn points before it would unlock a chest reward of X type. To get the full benefit from a high end chest they would have to add 2 or 3 or more boss spawn points. Then to prevent the foundry maker from trying to cheat the spawn points by making them outside the scope of the party aggro range that if the mobs are not killed the end boss spawn is not active, thus no boss to fight, no chest to get.

Essentially it comes down to provide the incentive to make players play how the dungeon is intended by the maker. If you build it this way then players will want to kill everything. You could also provide additional bonus rewards if the maker were to add in additional difficulty spawn points.

The part that they really messed up with in my opinion was integration of the foundry and main content. They could have opened a gold mine by connecting the two in such a way that player makers were the ones who developed the new content. This would leave the devs to a simple task of creating new environmental pieces and new items. Let the players design the new maps, the new dungeons. This would have given us hundreds of dungeons and dozens of maps. Then you could hold contests among the best foundry makers, the winning players get their content voice overed.

What better way to expand a game world than to have players who enjoy making and building content? If the rules are set up in a way the players will have the incentive to play it correctly. Its when you try to cheat players out of things that they will ultimately gravitate towards exploits.

But the Devs lack the imagination to solve these issues and totally underestimated what they could have turned into gold.
  • lipbulllipbull Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Hi Devs, yesterday i openend about 80 coffers of celestial enchantments and no drop of coalescent ward.
    Did you remove or reduce the dropchance for it ??? Normally i get 2 - 3 out of them.
    Pls look at it and fix it...
    Thx and Greets
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    lipbull said:

Hi Devs, yesterday i openend about 80 coffers of celestial enchantments and no drop of coalescent ward.
    Did you remove or reduce the dropchance for it ??? Normally i get 2 - 3 out of them.
    Pls look at it and fix it...
    Thx and Greets

It's random. I've opened 150 and sometimes gotten 8 then others 1-2. That's the way it is. The drop rate isn't fantastic. I know people that haven't gotten 1 in 3 years.
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Yea, totally random and no streak breaker. I opened 50+ this time and got only one coal ward. Last double event, I opened 40+ and got three. But most batches, I get none.