test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official M16: Stats and Mechanics

Comments

• obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    Great, QA should be seeing the exact problems we are reporting, and throwing the whole thing back to get it sorted or removed.

If they are not, I would argue they are not assuring quality.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • foxxy#4211 foxxy Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 563 Arc User
    Hello, can anyone confirm what are the final total ratings we must have for level 80 zone and the new dungeon?
    Thanks in advance
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    cdnbison said:

Like I stated in another thread, lower instances should not scale the player level or item level but instead simply enforce a set value for all stats, AKA maximum allowed stat for said zone. This would make balancing easier. It is simply set the stat and forget. Let higher level players enjoy the extra stats as they EARNED it and should be able to feel stronger in lower level zones.

This won't happen this late in the process, but...

Wouldn't it make more sense to scale stats as opposing %? If a level 80 has "100%" (i.e. enough to overcome resistances for offence) of a stat (66,000 in this case), that'd translate to 100% at level 70 - which is 57,000. The max. numbers are already well known, so translating things like this seems more manageable than whatever system is currently in place.

The only fly in the ointment would be HP, but that should be relatively translatable, shouldn't it?

I would also argue in favor of scaling players to slightly higher power levels (+3-7 levels) over the zone average; so level 75-ish in a level 70 zone. It preserves that sense of gained power and mastery, but not completely supreme. Dungeons - maybe just +0-1 level bonus to maintain a bit of a bonus, but not too much, and avoid speedruns.

Scaling by level has one problem, overtime power creep occurs in lower content as players stats continue to climb from new gear or enchantments without any change to the player level. This makes older content EASIER allowing players to eventually steam roll content. An example is that power will scale higher and higher and higher in lower zone allowing high IL player to eventually steam roll content. The point of scaling players back is to not allow us steam roll content.

Since the scaling is failing on preview, I recommend using a hard cap system. This would be better short term and long term. Once the devs know the hard cap value to use for a zone or a dungeon, it is a matter of creating a table and entering that value into that table. From there it is compare X to Y and if X is greater than Y, use Y otherwise use X.

If the goal going forward is to constantly raise our level each time a new mod comes out with gear with higher stats, than yes scaling would work, like it does in DCUO. However, if our level is not adjusted and our stats continue to rise than we run into an issues with scaling and its implementation in NWO.

IL is a better than using our level for scaling but do to all the various things that can impact our IL it will also have issues when compared to using the system that places a hard cap on stats.

The game system if working hard caps everything but HP, Power, Weapon Damage and Crit Severity.

The caps for everything else are 100% or 50%.

Thus the only stats that need adjusting are HP, Power, Weapon Damage and maybe Crit Severity.

Maximum Weapon Damage for a level is easy to determine (the highest values given by weapons from that content).

That just leaves working out how to scale, or cap Power and HP. Given that those are now static values provided by gear consistently again you can use the best gear that is available to a character for the content to calculate the cap.

Using caps is better than scaling because it doesn’t punish players who have not exceeded the cap by making their stats worse than they are at their actual level. While also preventing players who have exceeded the cap from eventually having high enough values that even scaling leaves them over performing. Those players are still rewarded by finding the newest content more manageable and will still be able to readily complete older content that they are capped on through experience and being “BIS” for that content.

Which leaves us with 2 weeks to launch and the most broken thing in the game is scaling.

Right now, no scaling is better than broken scaling.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • drumon88drumon88 Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    vorphied said:

hustin1 said:

hustin1 said:

Wow this is good news indeed, especially for us players who usually solo. I mean really good news.

No it isn't. We just lost up to 30% damage resistance with the cap change. We just got royally screwed.

I am so done with this mod. I'll see you in mod 17.
    Enemies HP fell by 30%. That means that your opening encounter powers now take ovver 64% more of their HP. So you may not be able to survive as long, but you no longer *have to.*
    There is NO WAY that the change to enemies makes up for having your damage resistance go from 80% to 25% -- not with the damage they do. To me this is a dealbreaker. I now have zero intention of doing this mod. I'll invoke my way to 80 instead.
    What character are you concerned about that would actually be affected by this, anyway?

Tanks have gigantic HP pools and mitigation tools to compensate, and they are the only role that could reasonably think about hitting any kind of damage resistance cap without siphoning off other, more necessary stats.

DPS not only have (or should have, when the design is on point) the highest damage output, they were already not getting much benefit at all from defensive stats if built for their intended purpose (i.e. no reasonable DPS gets anywhere close to 80% damage resistance without the live version of Shepherd's Devotion being abused).

Healing supports, when caught in the rare situation where they need to solo something, simply need enough juice to kill a pack of mobs before their healing resources and cooldowns become an issue. Also not realistically able to hit 80% damage resistance.

TL;DR: I think you're drastically overestimating the significance of this change in regards to non-tank characters, and tanks should have absolutely nothing to worry about. As far as solo content goes, no one has anything to worry about except when other things are not WAI (e.g. broken mob scaling, underperforming class design, etc.).
    On Live, my 16.5k GWF is sitting at 56.1% damage reduction solo with just bonding (no potions, foods, etc). And she is still using 2 Darks in defense slots and 1 Radiant, with the rest being Draconics, so I'm missing out on a couple thousand possible defense. And that's at R11-R12 defensive enchants. If I ran straight R14 Draconics I'd be around 70% mitigation without any buffs, solo, and if I ran straight single-stat defense enchants I'd be over cap. There's plenty of non-tanks on Live right now that will be either at or very close to DR cap in 5-man instances without proccing Shepherd's Devotion.

Meanwhile on Preview that same character's around 2100 ilvl and has all of 12% DR vs lvl 80 open world, and ZERO DR in LOTMM. And with the wonky/broken/dumb/whatever scaling, zero DR in a lot of the low-ilvl heroic instances as well (sub-6k defense in ETOS so not even halfway to threshold to start reducing damage). And that's with R13 Draconics in all defense slots.
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Once you get the level 80 equipments on preview, you will find that defense and critical almost cap themselves without any boosts. This makes stat analysis more difficult. Normally crit and defense (& armor pen) are king of the stats. But if you boost those stats you'll go over cap on the end content, which is wasteful. On the other hand, if you dont go over, your performance will be poor when scaled to low level. It makes it impossible to create a great character. You almost have to have a character for low level content and a different character for running high level content. I hope they fix this.

• drumon88drumon88 Member Posts: 142 Arc User

Scaling us down for old content is stupid anyway, even if it was working. And I am in agreement with you that it is not.

Well, the options are

1.) Level 80s are able to utterly steamroll level 70 content
    1a.) Therefore, if rewards are valuable to level 80 characters at all, then level 80ers will run around dominating things and not do level 80 content or
    1b.) If rewards AREN'T valuable to level 80 characters, then the level 70 content gets abandoned by most players.
    2.) Level 80s are NOT able to steamroll level 70 content
    2a.) Therefore, level 70 content can still be rewarding without being disproportionately effective BUT you run into the issue where there's no point in getting stronger
    2b.) Level 70 content is not rewarding despite the fact that it's hard, so it's SUPER abandoned.

Personally, I prefer option 1b: level earlier content be largely an artifact. But it looks like we're going for 2a or 2b, which I think is a major mistake.
    Well, with the exception of a few rare armor pieces for transmute (no gameplay value) and the exceedingly rare chance at a mount or companion (which can drop anywhere and are no longer locked to specific instances), pretty much the only actual reward for low ilvl 70 content is the rAD from either the end chests or the random queue that stuck you there's bonus. And they aren't changing the loot tables for the old dungeons to MAKE them valuable to run. Or at least they haven't yet and have not given any indication they intend to.

Which means: So what's actually wrong with being able to absolutely steamroll level 70 content? We can steamroll most of it NOW (I started being able to solo ESOT, ETOS, LoL, and KR at about 13.5k ilvl on a GWF and can do it on my 11k ilvl pally; the only things keeping me from being able to solo MC or VT are the grasping hand mechanic on final bosses). Same deal when the game made the jump from 60 to 70, overnight the lvl 60 stuff was trivialized completely and nobody seems to have minded that long-term.

Unless they redo the loot tables for lvl 70 instances, you will get NOTHING OF VALUE from them. Except maybe the current endgame stuff that drops UESs (especially if they don't add a new source, and I haven't seen one yet from LOTMM in about 130 rerolls so I don't think they did), or if the new weapons sets can be Exalted then CODG will remain tangentially relevant. But all lvl 70 gear including artifacts will be completely deprecated with mod16 And being forced to run one of 3 lvl 70 dungeons as the sole source of an upgrade material is...a pretty dirty tactic on their part and yet another reason I'm angry about this mod.

If they want lvl 70 content to still be relevant enough to justify being WEAKER in than lvl 80 content, they have a lot of work cut out for them incentivizing it. Because as it stands, they WILL be completely abandoned.
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    edited April 2019

That moment when your level 70 character has higher stats than your level 80 of same character because cryptic is struggling with the math. :)

looks like they need rainier to do the maths for them XD
  • mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    I'm just throwing this out there but...
    Given how little L80 content there is, and how scaling is quite obviously a dog's breakfast right now...
    How about going back down the list and changing everything from say... eLoL and above into L80 content?

I've been told that even if I don't want to get my toons to L80, they will get there very quickly by virtue of the amount of XP they will get in those dungeons, I imagine those actively chasing L80 will do so with some ease... so what is the point of having so much content that is essentially "Leveling Dungeons bracket 2"?

It's crazy that over 90% of the people running everything from Malabog to CR will need to be scaled down when there is only ONE piece of group content that is considered suitable for them to run at their existing level.

Of all the things that this Mod has got wrong so far, the one that I am most likely to find the most ridiculous in play and down the line is the fact that when I hit L80, I will hardly be able to take advantage of any growth and improvement my characters have undergone for years, until there is enough L80 content to keep them busy both in and out of campaign questlines. Because I'm going to be spending so much time scaled down below my current L70 cpacity, in dungeons I've been running for years already.
    I really cant see myself enjoying that once the initial novelty of the Undermountain setting has worn off.
    (And don't get me wrong... it is lovely... but it won't be enough to keep me engaged if Dungeons etc are HAMSTER.)
    Actually, for most players 2 and 3 rune Expeditions will be party content, and they will be necessary to run to unlock the highest level gear.

Level 80 players are only going back to level 70 content for AD or to complete campaigns. The later of which is the major reason the current state of affairs is a huge problem.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock

Actually, for most players 2 and 3 rune Expeditions will be party content, and they will be necessary to run to unlock the highest level gear.

Level 80 players are only going back to level 70 content for AD or to complete campaigns. The later of which is the major reason the current state of affairs is a huge problem.

adinosii said:

It's crazy that over 90% of the people running everything from Malabog to CR will need to be scaled down when there is only ONE piece of group content that is considered suitable for them to run at their existing level.

That's not exactly correct. There is only one dungeon (LoMM), but there are also the Master expeditions, which are really "group content" if you use all 3 runes, for maximum rewards. It's kind of like the Barovia hunts... you can solo them as they are, but add a Donjon card and two other tough special cards, and they become pretty hard group content. The idea here is the same - adjustable difficulty and corresponding reward level.

Then there are the Challenge Campaigns which are just solo content, but they take up a chunk of time (with semi-decent rewards, so worth doing) and you will of course run them scaled down, but I am just mentioning them because they mean you will have less time for the "regular" L70 content.
    Sorry, I should have been more clear.
    I'm talking specifically about queued group content.
    The sort where you either PUG or group up for your daily Randoms for rAD/SH Quests, or form a group of friends and pick something to run.
    I don't know about anyone else, but I don't see the Expeditions as a serious hook to prolonged play as groups. In the same way that I don't really bother with Hunts after really enjoying them for the first few weeks. They are a great novelty, but I'm not convinced they will replace the desire to go "Dungeon Bashing" in a proper dungeon. I could be wrong, if so fine...

Eventually when there is enough L80 "Group Based Queue" content, player IL's will be much higher, and scaling won't be the issue it is now. And if the game were starting from scratch it would be a perfectly workable system, but the fact there are so many L70 Dungeons of such varying difficulty levels makes the retrofiting scaling system currently being applied a big hurdle until those ILs are hit, and enough variety of "Group Based Queue" content exists to choose not to have to scale down at all.

It's almost like the reverse of when they first introduced Random Queues and buggered it up by not allowing low IL L70's to queue for ANY L70 Dungeons on the random list because they insisted on putting high IL req content on that queue. We told them it would suck, they ignored us, it sucked... they changed it.

Scaling as designed now WILL work... eventually. It just remains to be seen whether people have the patience to put up with the incredibly negative impact it will have on game play for the substantial amount of time it will take for it to work.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't see the Expeditions as a serious hook to prolonged play as groups.

Prolonged...maybe not, but initially? Certainly - they are a great source of really good L80 gear.
    Hoping for improvements...
    Also pretty sure people are going to do the Challenge Campaigns, the rewards are important resources.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    adinosii said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't see the Expeditions as a serious hook to prolonged play as groups.

Prolonged...maybe not, but initially? Certainly - they are a great source of really good L80 gear.
    Yeah, like Barovia Hunts.
    Got my gear, do one every now and then for a bit of fun.

Initially people will run round and explore, and learn, and experiment. But then the blogs, guides and Youtube videos will tell everyone who's that way inclined how to fast track to the "best" stuff, and soon people will look to fall into the new pattern of play.
    IF that still includes using random dungeons to earn a chunk of daily rAd, people will soon get fed up of scaling down. Particularly if they have no clue what they will scale to until they land in a dungeon.
    Unless, of course, Expeditions offer an attractive alternative to running dungeons.

If they convert some of the current L70 dungeons into equivalent L80 dungeons they will have multiple options for L80 dungeon runs.
    As new (higher IL) L80 dungeons come online, they can drop converted dungeons back into their L70 variant and apply scaling to it. As new L80 content comes online, the disparity in L80 IL will begin to emerge, allowing scaling to begin to work more effectively than it does now.
    Rather than having to HAMSTER about trying to fine tune scaling for each and every bit of L70 group content, make some of it L80 and have no need to scale at all.

Or run lots of Expeditions... I suppose that will keep us all busy till there's a few more L80 dungeons.

I still think that adding a new level cap was more a gimmick than a genuine necessity.
    I mean, what has been added to the game that genuinely NEEDS an increased level cap, that couldn't have worked with the existing L70?
    It's biggest impact has been to create this stupid situation with scaling.
    But since they added it, they need to address the period between L70 being the long term cap, and however long it takes for L80 to establish as being the definitive cap by virtue of having enough bloody content to run AT level 80, and not scaled down.
  • kythelion#3210 kythelion Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    Honestly, it feels more like an attempt to control what we run and how much rather than a necessity. I think they want to squeeze people out of the L70 content. There's no other reason for such punitive scaling. And even the stuff that seems to have been "fixed" is quite punitive.

Honestly, it feels more like an attempt to control what we run and how much rather than a necessity. I think they want to squeeze people out of the L70 content. There's no other reason for such punitive scaling. And even the stuff that seems to have been "fixed" is quite punitive.

It's less a "punitive" thing, and more a "take it or leave it".

The thing is, it's not about scaling for all the new L80 characters in Mod 16. It's for further down the line when the typical IL will be closer to 30k or even more.
    It's a long term vision that doesn't account for the transition period between inception, and when we finally get to where the scaling will be a realistic reflection of a character's capability. As with the goals of all the concepts of the mechanics changes, scaling is a long term fix rather than a short term one. Sadly for that short term, we're knackered as far as dropping back into stuff we've been happily running for ages goes.

This is my point... (and I'm sure it is the intention, but they are unlikely to say so...)
    Four mods from now, we won't even consider it an issue because a) there will be more L80 content to run with our L80 toons, and b) subsequent mods will increase IL further causing scaling to be far less of an inconvenience.

It doesn't seem like the problems scaling will cause in the short to medium term have been considered or, if they have, it has been decided that the long term benefits outweigh the need to apply a reasonable fix for right now.
  • kythelion#3210 kythelion Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    That would be a great idea IF the scaling was actually a reasonable percentage reduction, i.e. real scaling. The way it looks right now is that they're hard capping. Which throws your idea out the window because no matter how much we improve even if we keep playing for another two years (and it will take YEARS for there to be enough L80 content to even consider that a plausible idea) the content will always be the difficulty level they have set it to right now. Which is ludicrous. So, yeah, I think it's punitive.

Even if the idea is to have a long term plan, there is NO reason for such an aggressive scaling. Whether the method is capping or scaling, they set the amount. Right now we're being capped ridiculously low. Which is punitive. If they used a scaling model which reduced us to this low, it would still be punitive because there is no reason for stats to ever be lower than they would have been initially when the content became available. Hence my conclusion. They have set the scaling to a punitive value to force us out of the old content and continually drive people to stay in the newest content. They're essentially punishing us for the fact that they designed the game to force us backwards into old content through timegated campaigns and rAD gain and can't design enough new content to keep us occupied and happy.

Also, just discovered this beautiful gem. Sitting in Vanrakdoom. I changed a draconic R13 for an assassin R13. Didn't move, zone, anything. Power, crit, pen, AND CA all go down about 8k.
    Post edited by kythelion#3210 on
  • rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    ;

That would be a great idea IF the scaling was actually a reasonable percentage reduction, i.e. real scaling. The way it looks right now is that they're hard capping. Which throws your idea out the window because no matter how much we improve even if we keep playing for another two years (and it will take YEARS for there to be enough L80 content to even consider that a plausible idea) the content will always be the difficulty level they have set it to right now. Which is ludicrous. So, yeah, I think it's punitive.

Even if the idea is to have a long term plan, there is NO reason for such an aggressive scaling. Whether the method is capping or scaling, they set the amount. Right now we're being capped ridiculously low. Which is punitive. If they used a scaling model which reduced us to this low, it would still be punitive because there is no reason for stats to ever be lower than they would have been initially when the content became available.

Also, just discovered this beautiful gem. Sitting in Vanrakdoom. I changed a draconic R13 for an assassin R13. Didn't move, zone, anything. Power, crit, pen, AND CA all go down about 8k.

Is not a hard cap, i should be a scalling but many "bugs" and is just too agressive so far...
    I did a grand tour of the dungeons again, as well as hitting the HEs to see some of the scaling effects.

At level 80 in a 0 Rune Master Expedition, my stats are effective:
    [Combat (Self)] Scourge of Yeruth deals 24881 (30537) Physical Damage to you with Punch. (Not shielding)
    [Combat (Self)] Your Aura of Vengeance deals 571 Physical Damage to Scourge of Yeruth. (No enchant effect)

Tier 1 Dungeons are SoT, MC, KR, VT, LoL
    Tier 2 Dungeons are ToS, CC, GWD, CN
    Tier 3 Dungeons are mSP, FBI, ToNG, CR

The missing level 73 stats:

Why is there even scaling from level 80 to level 79?

When I first transferred the toon and went to Barovia at level 70 my stats were comparable to my current scaled to level 73 stats...

I would suggest that the following be the scaling effect we should see.

All Level 70 Zones and Tier 1 Dungeons should have the Level 72 scaled stats.
    All Tier 2 Dungeons should have Level 73 scaled stats.
    All Tier 3 dungeons should have level 76 scaled stats.

Then the dungeons should have a recommended minimum character level (according to the target scaling value).

The reason for suggesting these values actually has to do with the effect on HP and Defense of scaling, and thus the effectiveness of tanks. Currently scaling seems to be an "average" value for dungeons that are wildly different in difficulty and expected iL in Mod15, rather than being the "peak" value for those areas. My suggestion moves towards "peak" values and while this will make the lower dungeons in each tier easier, it will make all those dungeons more accessible to level 80 characters who have taken the time to gear up (my gear for these is 950 Head/Arms/Armor/Feet, and upgraded rings, otherwise aside from adjusting my Armor and Weapon enchants is the same as Mod15 still).

It also (hopefully) ensures that a character that has worked to meet cap in multiple stats is likely to still be at the cap. (Though frankly I fail to understand why anything but HP, Power, and Weapon Damage really need to be scaled at all, but if you insist on changing all the stats, relative effectiveness should be preserved.)
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Artifact Set Bonuses.

The new artifact set bonuses only have an effect for a short time after using a daily power. Action points, on the other hand, take much longer to fill than before so these bonuses end up being very weak indeed. The electric defense set was even further nerfed by the latest patch form 10% to 5% damage. This, as far as I understand, is in agreement with the general mod 16 objective of making buffs a lot less effective.

However, due to all these new sets being so weak, old sets such as demon lords and lostmauth are likely to be proven more effective despite their lower item-level. This isn't, in my opinion, a problem per se. The damage boost does come at the cost of using equipment with lower stats. But I wouldn't like to invest in refining them only to have them nerfed a few weeks later.

So, I'd like to get an official statement regarding the current state of the demon lords and lostmauth sets and whether they are supposed to compete with the new artifact sets or are supposed to simply be obsolete and likely to be nerfed as soon as found more effective than the new sets.

@asterdahl @noworries#8859 can we please get an answer?

The demon lord belt and cloak are bugged and show "+1 STR +1 CON" at all ranks instead of the expected action points and +4 stat buffs. This as been running since preview week 1. Fix them ASAP please!
  • fuzzmeisterjfuzzmeisterj Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    Dragonborn:
    Draconic Heritage: +5% healing from all spells and abilities
    Dragonborn Fury: +1500 Critical Strike and +3% damage
    Ability Scores: +2 to any two stats

Metallic Ancestry Dragonborn:
    Metallic Ancestry: +3% healing from all spells and abilities, +3% Max Hit Points

Is the % healed incoming or outgoing? or both? It would see the normal dragonborn is a little better than the metallic if these stats are still the same.
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User

Dragonborn:
    Draconic Heritage: +5% healing from all spells and abilities

Metallic Ancestry Dragonborn:
    Metallic Ancestry: +3% healing from all spells and abilities, +3% Max Hit Points

Is the % healed incoming or outgoing? or both? It would see the normal dragonborn is a little better than the metallic if these stats are still the same.

3% + damage is better than spending 8 points into Int (2%). Looks like I have to buy a Race Reroll Token for all my Characters.
  • douglasopferbeckdouglasopferbeck Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    Incoming... plus 3% max hp is better then 2% incoming healing. Metallic is superior, but for the cost it should be...