test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Comments

• glowingemberglowingember Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    From the reading the dev blog on boons, i thought they were introducing a way we could earn boons without entering an area. A repeatable somewhere, so that i could earn the boons from and area or campaign without having to go do that zone.

I thought the unspoken reasoning behind this was that it was very easy to prune away an area if it was underperforming so the resources could be reused for something else.

But also, i want a reason to never go into somi ever again. I did it once on my main and i can't do it again. nuh uh.
  • fenrir4lifefenrir4life Member Posts: 295 Arc User

From the reading the dev blog on boons, i thought they were introducing a way we could earn boons without entering an area. A repeatable somewhere, so that i could earn the boons from and area or campaign without having to go do that zone.

I thought the unspoken reasoning behind this was that it was very easy to prune away an area if it was underperforming so the resources could be reused for something else.

But also, i want a reason to never go into somi ever again. I did it once on my main and i can't do it again. nuh uh.

That's kind of how I feel about Sharandar. Powries in tall grass and swarming quicklings are NOT fun encounters, and the layout of the zones, with three subzones, each with their own currency, just feels bad, man.
  • mushellkamushellka Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 357 Arc User
    edited March 2019

mushellka said:

mushellka said:

And I'm always amazed how few people care about playing a team.
    For example, by controlling or healing, you give something for the whole pt..

Your proposal is egotistical, good only for you.
    So that you could be the No. 1 on the idiotic paingiver list.

You're fixating on strength, when their suggestion applies to any ability score. Strength was just the example.
    I think it's a genuine comprehension issue, but there's no call to be nasty about it. You are in the wrong, here.
    I know STR is just an example.
    However, I don't support this idea, for other reasons.
    I prefer boons affecting the entire team.

edit:

If I will control mobs, I will make it easier for DPS to be on the paingiver list. If I will heal him, he will not die and he will be able to do his job. Who has comprehension issue?

My English is bad, I know. This doesn't mean, however, that I have problems understanding content ...

I would say you, in fact, have comprehension issues. There's an attribute for control strength, there's an attribute for outgoing heals.

I mean, you're either misunderstanding or deliberately trolling; I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.

I don't have the ADDITIONAL benefits of what I already have. Choosing (out of necessity) attributes in accordance with the path of the class I play, I have already ALL (30) points issued for control or heal.
    In addition to what I have, I can only take something that I don't need: STR, DEX, etc.
    Yes, I know, you will tell me that the movement and critical severity are cool and everyone wants them ....
    I DON'T want. I prefer the ADDITIONAL (over 30 points in INT) control bonus and ADDITIONAL bonus (out of 30 points in WIS) for outgoing healing.

Now did I write it enough intelligibly?

Better to feed the troll than listen to the idiot .
    mushellka said:

mushellka said:

mushellka said:

You're fixating on strength, when their suggestion applies to any ability score. Strength was just the example.
    I think it's a genuine comprehension issue, but there's no call to be nasty about it. You are in the wrong, here.

edit:

If I will control mobs, I will make it easier for DPS to be on the paingiver list. If I will heal him, he will not die and he will be able to do his job. Who has comprehension issue?

My English is bad, I know. This doesn't mean, however, that I have problems understanding content ...

I would say you, in fact, have comprehension issues. There's an attribute for control strength, there's an attribute for outgoing heals.

I mean, you're either misunderstanding or deliberately trolling; I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.

I don't have the ADDITIONAL benefits of what I already have. Choosing (out of necessity) attributes in accordance with the path of the class I play, I have already ALL (30) points issued for control or heal.
    In addition to what I have, I can only take something that I don't need: STR, DEX, etc.
    Yes, I know, you will tell me that the movement and critical severity are cool and everyone wants them ....
    I DON'T want. I prefer the ADDITIONAL (over 30 points in INT) control bonus and ADDITIONAL bonus (out of 30 points in WIS) for outgoing healing.

You're begging the question pretty badly, here. You're dismissing an idea and being snide and unpleasant, all based on premises that have not been established.
    This is all just spitballing ideas, and you're dismissing his idea outirght as somehow "selfish" because of a bunch of things you've made up about it.
  • theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User

mushellka said:

mushellka said:

mushellka said:

edit:

You're begging the question pretty badly, here. You're dismissing an idea and being snide and unpleasant, all based on premises that have not been established.
    This is all just spitballing ideas, and you're dismissing his idea outirght as somehow "selfish" because of a bunch of things you've made up about it.
    Well, he is right that you can max your mainstat without getting any bonuses to boons, so if someone doesn't care about the benefits of +20 points to dexterity as a wizard, it's true that that's less valuable than, say, +2500 power.

mushellka said:

mushellka said:

mushellka said:

edit:

Well, he is right that you can max your mainstat without getting any bonuses to boons, so if someone doesn't care about the benefits of +20 points to dexterity as a wizard, it's true that that's less valuable than, say, +2500 power.
    Sure, but I'm not shedding any tears for capping just how minmaxy a minmaxed build can get, and your proposal was for a paradigm shift, not a piecemeal replacement.
  • mushellkamushellka Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 357 Arc User

mushellka said:

mushellka said:

mushellka said:

edit:

Perhaps because do I think that playing only for self-interests is selfish?

Explaining the intricacies of the game in a foreign language also has its limitations. So I try to do it briefly and understandably. But in spite of that, most people think of as "nice" to point out my mistakes, and pretend that they dont understand what I mean.
    It's in a good tone, but I'm "unpleasant". Ok. I can live with it, I'm learning your language only a few months.
    Better to feed the troll than listen to the idiot .

mushellka said:

mushellka said:

mushellka said:

edit:

Sure, but I'm not shedding any tears for capping just how minmaxy a minmaxed build can get, and your proposal was for a paradigm shift, not a piecemeal replacement.
    I'm really just spitballing here. But one thing I remembered was actually back from a variant option in 2nd edition where high level characters could slowly reduce their saves (a good thing back then) until they were all at 3 (10% fail chance), and then they'd become demigods. Slowly getting all ability scores to 30 was sort of in the same vein of thought.
  • xyzisterxyzister Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2019

I´d also like to drop my two cents here. As far as the boons are concerned, I have mixed feelings about them. In my opinion the following things are worth being improved:

1)I don´t like the idea of being "pushed" into some sort of box. In the old system there was the possibility of choosing between different boons and sometimes I struggled with that and cared a lot,which boon I picked (independent of class). In contrast to this, the new system provides the same boons for every class. And with that comes another problem, namely the variety of the boons.

2) The variety itself seems kind of incomplete. As I first saw the boons and their effects, I thought by myself: Okay,this will be some kind of basics or placeholder. But some boons are outstanding in their effects and some are "meh". The point is, that they´re "outstanding" or "meh" for all classes. So I miss the widespread variety at this point. This is especially true for the 5% bonus damage and damage reduction boons against certain species.

3)I feel kinda uncomfortable with the master boons. I subjectively considered the master boons to be oustanding before I saw the actual facts and was quite disappointed about them. Here would be give the least option to make them kinda unique for every class.

What I consider positive:

1)I like the way of "points" being collectable in campaigns and use them nearly freely.
    2)I´m subjectively "glad" about PVP being seperated from the boon system.

Best regards
    Xyzister
    mushellka said:

mushellka said:

mushellka said:

mushellka said:

edit:

And that's the part you fabricated out of whole cloth. Nothing about his proposal locks out support-oriented boon choices. If you're struggling with the language, that's fine; maybe forward the conversation to someone fluent in both languages and they'll be able to figure out where the misunderstanding is.

mushellka said:

mushellka said:

mushellka said:

mushellka said:

edit:

And that's the part you fabricated out of whole cloth. Nothing about his proposal locks out support-oriented boon choices. If you're struggling with the language, that's fine; maybe forward the conversation to someone fluent in both languages and they'll be able to figure out where the misunderstanding is.
    I mean, if the real concern is "Oh, well then the boons won't let me get X because I've already capped X" it's always possible to just raise the cap (30 is just a super convenient number because it's the cap in 5E). The bigger issue is that a single point of +ability score is pretty marginal in usefulness. But virtually every game mechanic is covered under ability scores, so I can't imagine how anyone could be all like "+ability scores? No way, I want CHOICE."

Speaking of, utility power for Ioun Stone of Allure should be +25 charisma.

mushellka said:

mushellka said:

mushellka said:

mushellka said:

edit:

I mean, if the real concern is "Oh, well then the boons won't let me get X because I've already capped X" it's always possible to just raise the cap (30 is just a super convenient number because it's the cap in 5E). The bigger issue is that a single point of +ability score is pretty marginal in usefulness. But virtually every game mechanic is covered under ability scores, so I can't imagine how anyone could be all like "+ability scores? No way, I want CHOICE."

Speaking of, utility power for Ioun Stone of Allure should be +25 charisma.
    Sorta two directions to go from there, too: either "why do you want more X if you have it capped," or "why does X still not feel playstyle-significant when capped?"
  • sabre10sabre10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    Boon "Marathon Runner" is not giving the movement bonus.
    My movement was 6.3% before all 4 points (10%) were applied on this boon. It remains 6.3%
    aDXr4Ur.png
    Civil Anarchy Officer
    Fabled Alliance
  • hercules125hercules125 Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    Is there any way we could NOT have feats, boons, etc. locked into place? It would be nice to have respecs be a thing of the past. Let me adjust things as I want, as often as I want, without having to pay for it.

Is there any way we could NOT have feats, boons, etc. locked into place? It would be nice to have respecs be a thing of the past. Let me adjust things as I want, as often as I want, without having to pay for it.

Much as I love the idea(and as much more enjoyable as it would make the game), it's a pretty long shot to ask them to turn a paid service into a normal game function.
  • jelara1jelara1 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    Feedback: The tier 2 boon Lingering Medicine at rank 3 causes an undesirable visual effect on the character. When standing still, out of combat, every few seconds the character will start bouncing on her heels for a few seconds. The duration and interval between have a bit of randomness in duration, I have seen her bounce for more than 10 seconds some times. It basically looks like they need to visit the bathroom. Can this be removed?

Rank 3 adds the effect: chance for your healing potion to continue to heal you for 2 minutes, so I suspect this is what adds the visual effect.

Since there is also a similar boon in higher tiers, I assume those have a similar issue.

I find this fairly annoying, and actually thought I was taking damage, but no damage showed in my log. It was bothering me enough that I spent a fair amount of time tracking down the exact cause, and will skip this boon rather than have that visual effect.

My character is a half elf rogue if that helps recreate.
  • mdarkangel#4696 mdarkangel Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    > @jelara1 said:
    > Feedback: The tier 2 boon Lingering Medicine at rank 3 causes an undesirable visual effect on the character.

I wonder if this is, or one of the others is what is causing my Paladin to enter combat stance every few seconds. I think I selected the potion boon that adds power.
  • jelara1jelara1 Member Posts: 52 Arc User

> @jelara1 said:

> Feedback: The tier 2 boon Lingering Medicine at rank 3 causes an undesirable visual effect on the character.

I wonder if this is, or one of the others is what is causing my Paladin to enter combat stance every few seconds. I think I selected the potion boon that adds power.

Ya, "combat stance", I didn't know what it was called, that's why I thought I was taking damage. I went back and copied the char fresh, then slowly added in companions, feats, boons till I found what triggered it.
  • dressrobadressroba Member Posts: 70 Arc User

With this week's patch I noticed the boons have been changed ....
    - The Power boons have been reduced from 500 power to 250 power and had their bonus HP removed.

was 250 power 1 k hp per lvl before :p
  • mdarkangel#4696 mdarkangel Member Posts: 442 Arc User

Was this the intended change?

Yes, the stat ratings decrease was intended. @noworries#8859 mentioned it in the Stats and Mechanics thread a couple days ago. What was not mentioned was anything to do with boons.
  • kiraskytowerkiraskytower Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    dressroba said:

With this week's patch I noticed the boons have been changed ....
    - The Power boons have been reduced from 500 power to 250 power and had their bonus HP removed.

was 250 power 1 k hp per lvl before :p
    Right ... it was the other stat ones which were 500 (Crit/Armor Pen/etc). Still losing 1000 HP off each stings.

Was this the intended change?

Yes, the stat ratings decrease was intended. @noworries#8859 mentioned it in the Stats and Mechanics thread a couple days ago. What was not mentioned was anything to do with boons.
    I read @noworries#8859 posts in Stats and Mechanics thread and you are right, they didn't mention boons. In fact, several people in that thread had asked if they would double the boon values to keep pace with doubling the number of stat points for a 1% gain. Instead ... they halved the boons and doubled the number of stats you needed for 1%. So basically you can now run the entire Cloaked ascendancy campaign for 1% gain in say Armor Pen.
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Winter Lily (CW) / Winter Rose (DC) / Winter Ivy (HR)
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
    I tend to feel like boons are an untenable climb for new players. If you let boons mean that veterans are 20 levels higher than newcomers (metaphorically), you'll drive new players away because ascension to the highest peaks feels insurmountable.

But I mean, look at it this way: how much does each rank of an enchantment really improve your performance, and how much work goes into that? You're talking 800 zen plus hundreds of thousands of AD to get to rank 14 from rank 13 for only a few hundred stat points, and yet people still did it. Yeah, 250 points per boon point isn't much, but it's still 250 points more than nothing. I sure as heck wouldn't reduce the impact any further though.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User

I tend to feel like boons are an untenable climb for new players. If you let boons mean that veterans are 20 levels higher than newcomers (metaphorically), you'll drive new players away because ascension to the highest peaks feels insurmountable.

But I mean, look at it this way: how much does each rank of an enchantment really improve your performance, and how much work goes into that? You're talking 800 zen plus hundreds of thousands of AD to get to rank 14 from rank 13 for only a few hundred stat points, and yet people still did it. Yeah, 250 points per boon point isn't much, but it's still 250 points more than nothing. I sure as heck wouldn't reduce the impact any further though.

The question is whether it is sufficiently high to make it really worth the effort to go after all the boons, or just get the easy ones.

Hoping for improvements...
    adinosii said:

The question is whether it is sufficiently high to make it really worth the effort to go after all the boons, or just get the easy ones.

Something is always more than nothing, but I can definitely see more people opting out of Storm's King Thunder, sure.

I don't consider that a bad thing. Let the game be "about" more recent content, instead of just rerunning the same stuff for years.
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User

adinosii said:

Something is always more than nothing, but I can definitely see more people opting out of Storm's King Thunder, sure.

I don't consider that a bad thing. Let the game be "about" more recent content, instead of just rerunning the same stuff for years.
    If I'm being cynical - making the boons so hard to achieve (due to grind, etc) increases the perceived allure of things like campaign buyouts - or maybe with M16 - boon packs. Hence more $$$ in Cryptic's pocket.

adinosii said:

If I'm being cynical - making the boons so hard to achieve (due to grind, etc) increases the perceived allure of things like campaign buyouts - or maybe with M16 - boon packs. Hence more $$$ in Cryptic's pocket.
    That, too, is a good thing. Remember: Cryptic getting money is a good thing. It's just that when the methods Cryptic uses to get money drives away players that it becomes a problem.

But my point is that making the ridiculous backlog of campaigns less important isn't doing the latter.
  • karvarekarvare Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    Lingering medicine is working too well. Do not remember when I used a potion, has been a while ago, but it is still active with 1 sec left to go. Has been like that for a few days. I may have not played a lot in that time but I spend a lot of time looking at the combat chat or my ratings so the time limit should have expired by now.
  • dressrobadressroba Member Posts: 70 Arc User

power , def , arm pen boons are bugged and give 9147 stats , and some others like crit res, incoming healing ... don't work at all .

also i think il on stronghold boons should drop base on how much stats you get from the boons .
    on rank 10 it's 8k so should be 400il .
    and probly remove il on utlity boons since they don't effect stats .
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    Although I am not happy with the reduction from 500 to 250, in particular when combined with the change from 500:1% to 1000:1%, it is at least positive to see the changes to the boons ... like combining the most useless boons (just a singe dinosur-related etc. now) and more useful boons actually mean that wa can do a tinty bit of tuning of our stats through the boons.

Emphasis on "tiny" though - adding 1250 points does not really make much of a difference. Personally I would have quadrupled the points given by the boons, and drastically cut the "combined" stats of gear to compensate. I like minmaxing, and getting the stats I want is just next to impossible now.
    Hoping for improvements...