test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official M16: Catacombs Feedback

Catacombs is the first level of Undermountain you will see. Remember, It is an open zone and you can use your mount here.

We would love to see any sort of feedback, but notes on environment collision, encounter difficulty and quest flow would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and enjoy!

----

Formatting Your Feedback and Bugs

For posting feedback and bugs, please follow the following format to ensure your feedback and bugs are seen clearly and processed in a timely manner, thank you!

Type: Bug/Feedback (Please only choose one)
If you are listing a bug please have this text in RED, if you are posting an opinion or feedback please use CYAN. If you are replying to another user's post, asking a question, or just engaging in general discussion, please do not color your posts, general discussion is welcome and we will read all of it, regardless of color! You can use BBCode to color your text:

<font color=cyan>This text will display in cyan.</font> <font color=red>This text will display in red.</font>

Examples:
Bug: In Why Did It Have To Be Snakes?, I did not receive the promised reward.

Feedback: The Rust Monsters in Catacombs were too easy for my level 70 Rogue.

Comments

• codetellercodeteller Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    Something needs to be done about spiders in that first room, the quest to get the spider bile.
    maybe this wont' be an issue after awhile, but on launch it will be so annoying as there aren't enough spiders for people to kill. and they die as soon as they spawn because people are waiting for them to do so. standing in one place and killing them as they spawn.
    they are in a few places outside that room, but still could you add more? or a dynamic respawn ? or scatter them about the entire catacombs area and let them all drop the bile?
  • malignantmind#3340 malignantmind Member Posts: 73 Arc User

Something needs to be done about spiders in that first room, the quest to get the spider bile.
    maybe this wont' be an issue after awhile, but on launch it will be so annoying as there aren't enough spiders for people to kill. and they die as soon as they spawn because people are waiting for them to do so. standing in one place and killing them as they spawn.
    they are in a few places outside that room, but still could you add more? or a dynamic respawn ? or scatter them about the entire catacombs area and let them all drop the bile?

Gotta second this, it was agonizing trying to do that quest. Something needs to be done because if it goes out on live like this, it's going to be a nightmare. Even reducing instance population might help. It was looking like there were around 50 people in each instance (of which there were only 3 when I was on), and they were all congregated in that one room trying to kill spiders.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User

I came here to post this exact thing. In closed beta, this was not an issue because there wasn't a crowd. However, at load, the spider bile quest is very difficult as there just aren't enough spiders to go around. I would strongly suggest increasing the spawn rate, or preferably tie the spawn rate to the number number of players in the area (the more players, the higher the rate).
  • checkmatein3checkmatein3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 525 Arc User
    In the Xanthil Guild hall of the catecombs, there is a room where a warden golem spawns. This golem is level 80. It took 5-6 level 71s to kill it, after getting one shot many many times.
    LEVIATHAN--19.3k Metallic Dragonborn Guardian Fighter Swordmaster Loadouts

Guild--And the Imaginary Friends

• drumon88drumon88 Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    So now that nobody has good self-healing, and the devs continue to swear by their stance of "Neverwinter will continue to be solo friendly"....why are my endgame-mod15-geared GWF and SW getting 1-shot by random trash mobs in this zone? One of the Undertaker ogres hit my SW for 700k...it's lvl 71, I'm lvl 71. This character can survive 1 hit from T9 Orcus, but gets 1-shot by open-world "solo friendly" trash? It wasn't even a super charged up attack either, it was their instant cast backhand swipe.
  • kiraskytowerkiraskytower Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    I found this area pretty easy. A friend of mine and I went through the first few quests here together on GF (DPS) and HR and pretty much nothing lived longer than a shot or two and neither of us took much in the way of damage. Admittedly we were both well geared, but the level of difficulty is below what I would have expected for the area.
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Winter Lily (CW) / Winter Rose (DC) / Winter Ivy (HR)
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
    For the quest living spores, the myconid area has these fungi that explode from underneath, much like the fungi in Sharandar Gnarlroot. However, there are two problems with the effects. First, they hit outside the AoE. Second, they ignore immunity to CC. I am guessing the effect is much like the Bulette. But if a fighter holds guard up, the knocback should be blocked...unless this is changing?

The quest "Cure the Sick Toa" has an interaction with an NPC. Much like the Chult area where you had to help the Templars, there are not enough of these Sick Toa around, and after you interact with them, they run away. The credit for the curing only is given to the person who interacted. I highly request changing the credit for curing to those in the vacinity, like Chult's templars.

After a person completes the kuo pictographs, the player will get 3 more quests for earth, wind, and water.
    If the player takes all 3 of these at the same time, and then decided to chase Flogg first, after the autoquesting (z path starts), the journal will switch to the cave ponds automatically. It will be frustrating.

My Fighter received a dropped weapon called a Traveler's Mace, which I could use for a change appearance.
    Except, it is not a mace, its a sword.

• dominious12dominious12 Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    For the "Spider Bite" quest: there are too few spider spawns, they respawn too slowly, and the drop rate on the bile sacs is too low. This quest is already difficult with the low population of the preview server, on live it is going to be horrific.
  • vjarlvjarl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 93 Arc User
    I too was getting one-shotted from the trash mobs. I think it was bird archers. I checked the combat log and saw only 37K damage while I have well over 100K HP. Not sure if it is a bug or not.
  • ordinaryplayer#2642 ordinaryplayer Member Posts: 14 Arc User

Spider damage is bugged

--- not only is the damage excessive, it comes up as "green" and might be healing me.
    == Examples

[Combat (Self)] Blade Spider gives 7136302 Physical Damage to you with Claw.
    Blade Spider gives 5283575 (7136302) Physical Damage to you with Claw.
    Witherbite gives 25165822 (27962026) Physical Damage to you with Claw.
    [Combat (Self)] Bristle Spider gives 71373240 Physical Damage to you with Bite.

• zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Did the intro quest with my GWF set to DPS with every rune/enchantment slot empty on myself & companion, but otherwise with great gear. The difficulty seemed just right. I used a healing stone 1 time, after messing around doing full aggro pulls. its a beginner area, but I wouldn't make it any easier.

• zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    During the "Heirloom - stage left" quest, I got stuck on the wall after interacting with the second chain.
    (the large gear). Required a reset/death to get out of it.
    Post edited by zimxero#8085 on
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    I have had issues with the respawn rate of some of the Undertakers. In one room in particular; A group in the middle-ish near a column, two patrols around the outside, and a few other stationary groups with stairs on the far side leading to the "chains room".

Ran with a couple of different Paladins, tank and heals, and the respawn rate and room size have combined to create issues.

It seems that my companion wants to keep fighting nearby groups, but by the time I can clear them out respawns have appeared, and it creates a never-ending battle.

I was using only those items that I was given by Neverember, as many fresh 70s will when they decide to go to Undermountain, and it was only the arrival of another player that allowed me to actually clear out enough enemies to be able to move on to the next area (the "chains room"), and I had to deal with respawns there a time or two as well.

It's not strictly the respawn rate, but that combined with the general lack of mob-free space makes getting through some of those areas real slogs.

Get through a fight, and by "fight" I mean "deal with a group and both wandering patrols that get to you before you finish up", and then try to regenerate divinity... By the time the bar is full it seems that everything has respawned and you are right back at it, and if your companion wanders very far you may aggro yet another group or two.

I could try without a companion; That might help prevent other non-patrol groups from getting involved, but I'd still have to deal with the patrols and now I am doing it with less DPS and so even if I can survive it's going to take longer, which means that respawns are more likely to happen before I can clear out of an area.

The "chains room" was not as bad, but those two middle chains? Fighting the group near one of them seems to aggro the group near the other, and by the time I finish both groups off and get one of the chains, respawn is near for one or both groups and I repeat the fight against both groups. If I am lucky I manage both chains and then fight. If not? I fight both groups and get the other chain, but now I have to try and get out of the area before another respawn, and my companion isn't always helpful there... I can jump off of the platform where I was and into another group of enemies, but my companion might walk around the obstacles and give the game a chance to get those respawns back on the map and aggroed on my companion.

That makes it possible, if things don't go as smoothly as I would like, that I end up fighting both of those middle two groups in that chain room three times.

Maybe for some DPS classes it isn't an issue, maybe if I was using my better weapon and shield I would finish things off just quickly enough to escape some of these respawns, but 5-10 seconds might go a long way here.

On the missions that you run for Gaar Haeliath, when he polymorphed me I am guessing that the effect got stuck.

While my character looked like a Xanathar Gnoll and an Undertaker each in turn, there was a repeating chugging sound and a small puff of smoke appearing under my feet, like the spell effect kept going off over and over while I ran around. It sounded like machinery.

When I completed the missions and was transformed back to myself it stopped.
  • ncoreadev#4548 ncoreadev Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 30 Cryptic Developer
    Thank you all for your terrific feedback. We have a few updates:

For the "Inside Every Spider" quest, there should be more spiders in Catacombs for those of you looking to help out young Mr. Brownbean.

As for the volatility of those spiders.. well, that is being seen to as well. Jordan said they were tough, but they don't need to be THAT tough.

Gaar Haeliath, as ancient as he is, still makes a few mistakes now and then. He has brushed up on his illusion spells, so they should be more effective and less ... intermittent than before.

Speaking of Gaar Haeliath, his favorite filthy grave robbers should be appearing at a more balanced rate, across their territory.

Backstage, the haphazard arrangement of crates and old set dressings was trapping a few unlucky adventurers... and as diabolical as this may seem, the coffin-happy Undertakers just aren't smart enough to pull this off deliberately. Things are being addressed.

Again, thank you for your time and feedback.

Play the updates to come and if you run another 70 through Catacombs, we would love to hear about any issues you have.

• jehzir#4444 jehzir Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Gevin the Great Undead deals 310743(335054) Physical Damage with Punch... This is doing elite levels of damage for a non-elite mob (rune). Either Gold Bar Elite it or reduce its damage.
  • vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Some feedback:
    • When I'm transformed into a beast by Gaar Haeliath, there is an incessant beating noise I can hear that doesn't go away until I finish the quest

• There is no music or atmospheric sounds in the Expedition areas, so it feels dead to me.
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
  • ncoreadev#4548 ncoreadev Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 30 Cryptic Developer
    vordayn said:

Some feedback:

• When I'm transformed into a beast by Gaar Haeliath, there is an incessant beating noise I can hear that doesn't go away until I finish the quest

• There is no music or atmospheric sounds in the Expedition areas, so it feels dead to me.

Thank you for these!

No music in Expeditions? - Stay tuned (I'm glad you noticed, BTW)

Annoying pulse sound while you're transformed? - For a little clarification, does it only happen for Just the Xanathar disguise (beast) or does it happen for both forms?.... also, is there also a -poof- effect around you? if it's both and a poof, that fix should be coming in the next patch

Annoying pulse sound while you're transformed? - For a little clarification, does it only happen for Just the Xanathar disguise (beast) or does it happen for both forms?.... also, is there also a -poof- effect around you? if it's both and a poof, that fix should be coming in the next patch

For me it was as I reported earlier.

Both disguises, and yes, the "poof" effect was there and timed with the "chugging" sound.
  • vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User

vordayn said:

Some feedback:

Thank you for these!

No music in Expeditions? - Stay tuned (I'm glad you noticed, BTW)

It's for both forms, and I can't remember if there was a poof effect, may have been though :)
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    I haven’t noticed a “poof” effect, but definitely the sound on both disguises.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • sjk2603sjk2603 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    I have run 3 different characters to 80 so far and have not encountered any bugs..either im bugged or im very lucky
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    Got near one shotted at level 71 v a level 71 giant brute (198K/206K) also at lvl 71 am finding myself unable to advance, nobody is offering me quests having done the initial 2 you get offered at level 70.
  • gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User

am finding myself unable to advance, nobody is offering me quests having done the initial 2 you get offered at level 70.

You probably need to complete campaign task.
    “He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    edited March 2019

am finding myself unable to advance, nobody is offering me quests having done the initial 2 you get offered at level 70.

You probably need to complete campaign task.
    Will check, but if that's the case, it could do with telling me that

Edit - Indeed that's what it was, in maze engine, it gives you a clear message to do that, I think it should here.

Post edited by minotaur2857 on
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    They did not tell you when you needed to do the campaign tasks for Mod15 either. So I am thinking this is their new way of doing things.
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    The quest tracker has (default under the map on the right) puts up a task to open the Undermountain campaign.

But yes there is no obvious “go to the campaign manager”.

I believe you are supposed to learn how to use the Campaign manager from the Seer’s quest you get from Knox early in the game.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.