test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please Change the other Campaigns

krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
I have played the new campaign on preview and really like and support that it's not time gated. However; all the old campaigns besides Elemental Evil are still time gated. Some of them are painfully bad, like Storm Kings Thunder and Cloaked Ascendancy. Doing the River District dailies for just a few Evidence of Evil per day gets not only tedious but incredibly boring killing the same million monsters each day. Please oh please either allow us to do as much as we want on those campaigns or at least increase the amount of Campaign Currency we get per day. I would prefer that the time gates were removed completely, but I want to be fair, so if you remove the time gates its fine if you increase the requirements or campaign currency needed to fulfill each campaign objective. Id rather grind out as much as I want in a day rather than having to wait for such little gains. Spending months on a campaign when the new campaign can be completed in just a few hours or just a few days. I love the new campaign story lines and how the quests progress. My hat is off to the development team on all that work. But please oh please remove the time walls or at least consider reworking them to be more player positive.

Comments

• nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    They won't remove the time gating on any of the campaigns. If they did, it would drive down sales of completion tokens from the Zen store.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    That is why I did multiple campaigns at the same time. Either really multiple campaigns or multiple characters doing the same campaign. Hence, I am time gated by my time instead of by the game.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    Another reason the time gate won't be removed is because testing will be required. Many of the campaigns structurally depends on the time gates and removing them will probably break some things.
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 913 Arc User

That is why I did multiple campaigns at the same time. Either really multiple campaigns or multiple characters doing the same campaign. Hence, I am time gated by my time instead of by the game.

Umm isn't that a violation of the game's TOS?

DD~
    edited March 2019
    dionchi said:

Umm isn't that a violation of the game's TOS?

How so?

Are you saying I can't:
    Character A does Sharander, EE, .... on the same day
    or
    I can't:
    Character A does AI, character B does AI, character C does AI, ... on the same day?

If you implied I am doing multi-boxing, well,
    1. I don't do multi-boxing
    2. I imagine one can't multi-boxing characters within the same account. I don't know but I assume it can't.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    edited March 2019

That is why I did multiple campaigns at the same time.

How does a player do: "multiple campaigns at the same time", unless they leave one character in a campaign unattended as they run with the other, even if they periodicall switch back and forth, which is essentually AFK with at least one character isn't it?

multiple characters doing the same campaign

How can a player run multiple characters at the same time without multi-boxing, running with one character with the other just following them around - maybe (but not always) emulating the actions of another?

Not accusing - just curious. I'd like to be able to run multiple campaigns similtaniouosly or run more than one character in any given content too - but only if it is legal and not against TOS...

DD~
    edited March 2019
    dionchi said:

How does a player do: "multiple campaigns at the same time", unless they leave one character in a campaign unattended as they run with the other, even if they periodicall switch back and forth, which is essentually AFK with at least one character isn't it?

How can a player run multiple characters at the same time without multi-boxing, running with one character with the other just following them around - maybe (but not always) emulating the actions of another?

Not accusing - just curious. I'd like to be able to run multiple campaigns similtaniouosly or run more than one character in any given content too - but only if it is legal and not against TOS...

This topic is about time-gated by the game. If I can run multiple character at exactly the same time, I will still be time gated by the game instead of my play time. I guess I should use "in the same week" or "on the same day" or "the same time period".

Say, I have 3 hours playing time. Doing one time gated campaign takes one hour. There is 2 hours left and cannot contribute much to the campaign. Hence, for me, it will be:
    1. For one character, do campaign A, then do campaign B, then do campaign C. Then, I am done because 3 hours is up.
    Or:
    2. Character A does campaign A, switch to character B, character B does campaign A, switch to character C, character C does campaign A. Then, I am done because my 3 hours is up.

Hence, this is time gated by my play time.
  • frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    SKT's a long road, but the actual time and effort are pretty minimal I think. You don't need to do much in SOMI, really. Just Serissa's weekly once it unlocks.

River District is mind-numbingly dull, yes, but it's pretty quick too.

I've been playing through the game recently with a new character, and I forgot just how much fun the the pre70 content is. What comes after is horrible by comparison - as you said, a really, really tedious, uninteresting grind for the sole purpose of continuing the grind.
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    dionchi said:

Your reading comprehension needs a lot of work.

You can run multiple campaigns at the same time, but he isn't saying at the EXACT same time. He means you work them all every day. Many campaigns are fairly short if you know what you are doing. Like SKT can be a little quicker by unlocking Cold Run and Lonelywood where you only need to do 1 quest from Bryn Shandar, 1 from Lonelywood and 1 from Cold Run, rather than doing 3 quests from each map, you get the same amount of SKT currency. By only completing one of each quest you get the daily finished much faster. Same thing with Cloaked Ascendancy where if you select the right quest you can complete it rather quickly and get your daily max on Evidence of Evil in just a few minutes. Also running Dread Ring can get you enough currency for Underdark as well as its own Campaign. So long story longer, if you know what you are doing you can run all the campaigns every day without spending a long time on them. Doing it this way you can make progress much quicker than a player who only does 1 or 2 camps before they move on to other ones.

When he is talking about switching characters he isn't talking about dual boxing. He is talking about them doing their dailies until they are stuck behind the time gate then switching to his alt to work the campaign until they are stuck behind the time gate.

Odd how I have to spell all this out to you. Do they not teach reading comprehension skills anymore?

• havlockehavlocke Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    I thought the worst one was Maze Engine. It literally forces you to break up your party and solo the content - which is then time gated on top of everything else. Thought that was the stupidest idea for an MMO.
    edited March 2019
    Maze Engine now is actually the easiest campaign to do because you can use Genie's Gifts and finish it in a few hours, skipping all the time gates.
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User

Maze Engine now is actually the easiest campaign to do because you can use Genie's Gifts and finish it in a few hours, skipping all the time gates.

Dread Ring is the easiest / fastest, IF you have enough Genie's Gift. You can buy all the campaign currency needed to do the whole thing w/o ever running a single quest in the zone. I did that once. If you timed it, it was about 5 minutes total to finish DR, start to finish.

If you have a crazy large amount of GG, you could theoretically do the same with Tyranny of Dragons too.
  • frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    Maze Engine had some nice moments, though. I enjoyed spending time with the various npcs, and wandering around trying to piece together Lans' story. Also getting sent out to early game zones was fun too. I always get a kick out of the newer players trying to pitch in. They're so tenacious.

I don't mind a long campaign. It's the built in drudgery that's hard to take. You step into it, and it's an immediate slog.

I'd rather they slowed down the frequency of their mods so they can try to reproduce that narrative style of their earlier content and design meaningful longterm content - stuff that's actually fun.

Dread Ring is the easiest / fastest, IF you have enough Genie's Gift. You can buy all the campaign currency needed to do the whole thing w/o ever running a single quest in the zone. I did that once. If you timed it, it was about 5 minutes total to finish DR, start to finish.

If you have a crazy large amount of GG, you could theoretically do the same with Tyranny of Dragons too.
    True. But I would not spend GG on Sharandar, DR, IWD, ToD or UD. They have double-campaign currency events. If you plan it well enough, you can spend a few days prior to the events and pick up all quests. Then do them all in one sitting for boatloads of currency.

UD is even easier. Just do RIQ/RAQ and demo/eDemo comes up often enough you have plenty of currency.

ME is the only campaign I would spend GG on. And maybe ToD since there is a lot to unlock there.
    krumple01 said:

Your reading comprehension needs a lot of work.

You can run multiple campaigns at the same time, but he isn't saying at the EXACT same time. He means you work them all every day. Many campaigns are fairly short if you know what you are doing. Like SKT can be a little quicker by unlocking Cold Run and Lonelywood where you only need to do 1 quest from Bryn Shandar, 1 from Lonelywood and 1 from Cold Run, rather than doing 3 quests from each map, you get the same amount of SKT currency. By only completing one of each quest you get the daily finished much faster. Same thing with Cloaked Ascendancy where if you select the right quest you can complete it rather quickly and get your daily max on Evidence of Evil in just a few minutes. Also running Dread Ring can get you enough currency for Underdark as well as its own Campaign. So long story longer, if you know what you are doing you can run all the campaigns every day without spending a long time on them. Doing it this way you can make progress much quicker than a player who only does 1 or 2 camps before they move on to other ones.

When he is talking about switching characters he isn't talking about dual boxing. He is talking about them doing their dailies until they are stuck behind the time gate then switching to his alt to work the campaign until they are stuck behind the time gate.

Odd how I have to spell all this out to you. Do they not teach reading comprehension skills anymore?

I believe my reading and comprehension skills are just fine...

When someone says they can do something "at the same time", the "exact" same time is implied... otherwise it wouldn't be "at the same time", also I tend to consider there to be a distinct difference between "every day" and "at the same time"...

Also by my way of thinking attempting to run two characters in tandem because of a timed gate issue - to me means running one character "until they are stuck behind a time gate" then "switching to another character", which most people usually consider that to be abandoning one character during an event (in essence AFK or disconnect with that character) so the player can run with the second character... then presuming after the timed gate expires, the player switches back to the first character, which in essence would take the second character out of play (again in essence going AFK or disconnecting) as player continues
    with the character previously stuck behind a timed gate...

Granted, I may have missed what appears to me to be a subtle nuance since as you say: "at the same time doesn't mean at the EXACT same time", but I was just asking for clarification from what to me would be an easier to understand perspective.
    DD~
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    dionchi said:

I believe my reading and comprehension skills are just fine...

Um, no, they are terrible.
    dionchi said:

When someone says they can do something "at the same time", the "exact" same time is implied... otherwise it wouldn't be "at the same time", also I tend to consider there to be a distinct difference between "every day" and "at the same time"...

"At the same time" means doing all of them, actively doing all of them, NOT WAITING to finish one before starting another. Doing them all every day.
    dionchi said:

Also by my way of thinking attempting to run two characters in tandem because of a timed gate issue - to me means running one character "until they are stuck behind a time gate" then "switching to another character", which most people usually consider that to be abandoning one character during an event (in essence AFK or disconnect with that character)

I laughed for five minutes straight that you couldn't figure this out. Doing campaigns requries NO afking. NONE. You are switching characters, which means since I know you can't comprehend between statements or an implied meaning, it means you log one character off, and log another character on the same account into the game.
    dionchi said:

so the player can run with the second character... then presuming after the timed gate expires, the player switches back to the first character, which in essence would take the second character out of play (again in essence going AFK or disconnecting) as player continues
    with the character previously stuck behind a timed gate...

Granted, I may have missed what appears to me to be a subtle nuance since as you say: "at the same time doesn't mean at the EXACT same time", but I was just asking for clarification from what to me would be an easier to understand perspective.

The time gates are when one character can no longer make any progress in the campaign because they have to wait until the campaign cool down timer is reset. This is why a player would logout one character and login one character that isn't behind a time gate, so both characters are making progress on the campaign.

edited March 2019
    The context is about time gate of a campaign. Not an event.

Most Neverwinter campaign is time gated. i.e. you can only progress that much per day or per week.

e.g. you can only earn that much currency per week such as in AI campaign. After the character reaches the weekly cap, it is time gated. The character cannot earn any more until next week. There is no AFK (as away from keyboard). Say, you finished that character for that campaign on Monday. There are another 6 days that will not contribute anything to that character's campaign. Hence, I would do character B on Tuesday, character C on Wednesday, ....

People often say "I go to university and do a full time job at the same time". That does not mean they do both thing at exactly the same time. Even when they use the word "simultaneously", it does not mean doing both thing at exactly the same time.

e.g. https://www.cornerstone.edu/blogs/lifelong-learning-matters/post/11-ways-to-work-full-time-and-study-full-time-simultaneously
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    I used Genie's Gifts to buy out mod4/5 on one character last year after getting them at Jubilee. Hated mod 4 when it came out and still hate it.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    The new campaign isn't time-gated because it's a leveling campaign, like EE. They don't time-gate leveling campaigns.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
    edited March 2019
    hustin1 said:

The new campaign isn't time-gated because it's a leveling campaign, like EE. They don't time-gate leveling campaigns.

What is considered as "leveling campaign"? Any campaign which is lower than level 70? If yes, Maze Engine and Sharandar are also "leveling campaign" and they are time gated. The new campaign in mod 15, AI, which is level 15 is also time gated.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    Hey, I'm only relating what a dev said on one of the preview threads. Don't shoot the messenger.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    It seems that the intent is that the (rebuilt) Elemental Evil and the new zone are to be like the original game leveling zones (Tower District, Whispering Caverns, etc...) do it once for the story and experience and then move on. Those would be the leveling campaigns.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    One thing about leveling campaigns in Mod 16, You have the "challenge" campaigns with weekly tasks that you do for campaign currency and extra rewards. You also have a "bonus campaign" - basically, you can pick one campaign and get extra campaign currency for that campaign for doing the weekly tasks of the challenge campaigns.

Sounds great, right?

Well, there is a catch...you can not select the "leveling" campaigns as the bonus campaign - in particular, you cannot get bonus currency for the Undermountain campaign. Now this is absolutely great if you are still working your way through SKT/IWD/etc, but if you have finished all the older campaigns and the only thing that remains is the current one, this is a tiny bit disappointing.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    I see that as being akin to the Signets of Patronage; current campaign and the immediate previous one don't have them. As the game progresses the option may be there. Primarily what I see the bonus campaign is good for is the stronghold.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    adinosii said:

One thing about leveling campaigns in Mod 16, You have the "challenge" campaigns with weekly tasks that you do for campaign currency and extra rewards. You also have a "bonus campaign" - basically, you can pick one campaign and get extra campaign currency for that campaign for doing the weekly tasks of the challenge campaigns.

Sounds great, right?

Well, there is a catch...you can not select the "leveling" campaigns as the bonus campaign - in particular, you cannot get bonus currency for the Undermountain campaign. Now this is absolutely great if you are still working your way through SKT/IWD/etc, but if you have finished all the older campaigns and the only thing that remains is the current one, this is a tiny bit disappointing.

I thought the bonus stuff was to help guilds not to help you complete the campaign faster.

adinosii said:

Sounds great, right?

I thought the bonus stuff was to help guilds not to help you complete the campaign faster.
    Also, it helps you in terms of getting guild mark when you are helping the SH donation.