test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official M16: Wizard

Comments

• oaken#7261 oaken Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    The arcanist need a way to keep mobs off of him while the encounters are coming back and arcane stacks fall off so fast it just not fun or worth building them up.

Remove Arcane Bolt and create a Arcane lightning at-will that chains mobs and has a chance to stun for 3-5 seconds.

Every time we stun we build a arcane stack and acrane stacks are "infinite" until disintegrate consumes all acrane stacks for a big nuke...Rinse and repeat.
    Disintegrate on mastery- each arcane stack give a 2% Dps boost to disintegrate's hit.

This mechanic keeps us alive in solo play and prevents us from kiting everywhere and makes the arcane powers we do have more impactful and worth the cool down, and most importantly it could be a ton of fun and very rewarding!!

Additionally- the chain/stun effect can help in group play for melee classes and give the arcanist wizard something to do to help the team as our current at-wills are useless.

I keep reposting this idea because it’s simple and solves several issue at once..

1. We get swarmed in areas and with No AOE at-wills to combat that we run teleport kit while encounters are all on cooldown

2. Arcane stacks build to slowly to be effective and stacks fall of before we get to the next group of mobs to be useful

3. Disintegrate is MEH now and really lacks the Nuke effect we have come to love!

4. Wizard at wills do very little DPS and don’t help in solo and basically useless in party

Implementing the above mechanic solves all these issues and I really believe will make a world of difference in the fun/reward game play for the Wizard…

I think these issues are important and because Wizard is really the only class i love playing I just keep beating the drum...
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User

The arcanist need a way to keep mobs off of him while the encounters are coming back and arcane stacks fall off so fast it just not fun or worth building them up.

Remove Arcane Bolt and create a Arcane lightning at-will that chains mobs and has a chance to stun for 3-5 seconds.

Every time we stun we build a arcane stack and acrane stacks are "infinite" until disintegrate consumes all acrane stacks for a big nuke...Rinse and repeat.
    Disintegrate on mastery- each arcane stack give a 2% Dps boost to disintegrate's hit.

This mechanic keeps us alive in solo play and prevents us from kiting everywhere and makes the arcane powers we do have more impactful and worth the cool down, and most importantly it could be a ton of fun and very rewarding!!

Additionally- the chain/stun effect can help in group play for melee classes and give the arcanist wizard something to do to help the team as our current at-wills are useless.

I keep reposting this idea because it’s simple and solves several issue at once..

1. We get swarmed in areas and with No AOE at-wills to combat that we run teleport kit while encounters are all on cooldown

2. Arcane stacks build to slowly to be effective and stacks fall of before we get to the next group of mobs to be useful

3. Disintegrate is MEH now and really lacks the Nuke effect we have come to love!

4. Wizard at wills do very little DPS and don’t help in solo and basically useless in party

Implementing the above mechanic solves all these issues and I really believe will make a world of difference in the fun/reward game play for the Wizard…

I think these issues are important and because Wizard is really the only class i love playing I just keep beating the drum...

Just... NO.

These ideas are bad, they should not be implemented.

Just... NO.

hmmm, ok why?

edited March 2019

Just... NO.

hmmm, ok why?

1) If you can only build arcane atacks on stuns, its useless on bosses since you cannot stun bosses.

2) If you can build arcane stacks without stuns and disintegrate consumes them, you will continuously lose your buffs if you have it slotted.

3) If you do not have disintegrate slotted, you will have an indefinitely stacking damage buff from arcane stacks. This makes it effectively impossible to balance wizard for long fights, because at *some* point, the class will always end up doing 2-3x any other dps.

4) This does nothing to help your survivability. Arcanist already has excellent single target, its weakness is AoE. Disintegrate is a single target power.
  • ralf1835ralf1835 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    @oaken you know about at-will Storm Pilar?
    Arcane Bolt for me is very good at-will and i use well

For lighting encounter or daily power you have it ready animations like e.g Searing lightning or Thunderwind on Werewolf Stormcaller it's a bit funny when some mob has a bigger AOE than Maelstrom of Chaos (daily) in Wizard.
    I do not understand why 8 Encounters have no additional effect on TAB, really 10% dmg of the TAB we can give up , the additional effects are definitely better and these 10% can be assigned individually to power.

Post edited by ralf1835 on
  • rysiek86rysiek86 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Because for example we have a good working Storm Pillar that is AoE lightning spell with a mechanic of refreshing arcane stacks. Its just one thing that can negate your at-wills complaint.

Because your stun effects with out of space values of control are ridiculous. And @thefabricant and some other people made a simple and reasonable "shock" mechanics to feats.

Because Desintegrate is really good balanced within term - magnitude to cooldown.

Those are just bad ideas. Keep diggin mate. Rethink everything once more. And keep your ideas more reasonable.
    Jeeeez I again agree with Sharp :D. Does it mean we are willing to Wizard be made in common way Sharp ?? :D

Just... NO.

hmmm, ok why?

1) If you can only build arcane atacks on stuns, its useless on bosses since you cannot stun bosses.

a. I didn't say the only way to build arcane stacks was stun, all other arcane encounters would still build stacks.

2) If you can build arcane stacks without stuns and disintegrate consumes them, you will continuously lose your buffs if you have it slotted.

b. we're loosing arcane stacks very fast as it is right now and we're going through 2-4 full rotations to get to the 5-10 stack and IF the next mob is close then the stacks stay up but usually it's starting the process all over again.

3) If you do not have disintegrate slotted, you will have an indefinitely stacking damage buff from arcane stacks. This makes it effectively impossible to balance wizard for long fights, because at *some* point, the class will always end up doing 2-3x any other dps.

c. None of the current skills are powerful enough to be boss killers and need some humph anyway.
    Additionally, Disintegrate is one of the coolist skills in the game and a 2% DPS boost per arcane stack for disintegrate on mastery ensures a. that everyone would still be using it and also that your saving it for when you have your 5-10 stacks built up.

4) This does nothing to help your survivability. Arcanist already has excellent single target, its weakness is AoE. Disintegrate is a single target power.
    d. I think you skim-read my post dude, AOE survivability is the main reason I suggested a AOE AT-Will Arcane lightning skill that can stun mobs..

IF a mob of 5 is coming at you right? and you hit them with a At-Will arcane lightning and 2 of them are stunned for 5 seconds now your only fighting 3... you get off a few encounters and back to At-Will arcane lightning.. rinse and repeat... lets say you've killed 4 of them now and the last was a tougher boss type in a mob.. Nuke with disintegrate and move to the next mob.

single Boss fights aren't as big of a deal but that's much smaller % of game play..

maybe re-read what i posted
    :)

If you can only build arcane atacks on stuns, its useless on bosses since you cannot stun bosses.

maybe we'll change something like a Orb of Imposition (class feature) earlier I and other players we wrote about this feature of the class is useless, for example Control Bonus and Resist is up to X % and we have X% chance to control enemy which is immune to control
    edited March 2019
    Additionally... Arcane mastery passive only grants a 2.5% buff for arcane based skills at 5 stacks so a 5% buff at 10 stacks... I'm not one shotting anything at 19.5K item level with any arcane skill..

and we're going to be loosing a 9% total buff from loosing hag's rag/enduring boots and terror grips
    ralf1835 said:

If you can only build arcane atacks on stuns, its useless on bosses since you cannot stun bosses.

maybe we'll change something like a Orb of Imposition (class feature) earlier I and other players we wrote about this feature of the class is useless, for example Control Bonus and Resist is up to X % and we have X% chance to control enemy which is immune to control
    I never said anything about loosing the ability to build arcane stacks via other skills, just that arcane lightning could grant a arcane stack on stun...
    :)

• obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    rysiek86 said:

Sudden Storm
    Normal slot - check the aiming, because at this state it is barely possible to hit anythinng with that skill
    Spell Mastery slot - every target hit by the encounter gets shocked. Additional damage over time is applyed (magnitude 50) for 3 sec every 1 sec.
    or simply make it
    Lightning Bolt
    Normal slot - Change Maelstrom of Chaos into Lightning Bolt, same radious, same skillshot with nice circle that needs to be casted on demanded possition, cast time 1,2 sec, lower magnitude to 300 and quit the knockback mechanic cuz it simply doesnt work with tossing the monsters around.
    Spell Mastery - every target hit by the encounter gets shocked. Gets additional damage over time (magnitude 25) for 3 sec every 1 sec.

This is an excellent description for the Druid's Call Lightning, but a terrible version of the Wizard's Lightning Bolt.

Sudden Storm is nearly right as it is, vfx should be one of the horizontal lightning effects various monsters produce though and some of the other tweaks I've seen suggested would make it better for NW.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    Thanks for the Fireball Skill it looks really good !!!!!!
  • theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    Disintegrate is weird. In 4E it was pretty lackluster because it was a single instance 19th level spell. In 5E, it's a 6th level spell which is where you start to get into the "High level spells" territory (for spell point variants, for instance, you'd have at most 1/day).

In NWO though, Disintegrate is a LOW cooldown spell. I think that's probably better anyway, but it certainly is playing against type.
  • ruslan1404#8974 ruslan1404 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Don't dream of many things, we need to focus on the sudden storm, Wizard (Thaumaturge) received changes, Arcanist is not enough AOE, sudden storm bad AOE and not Single target and in general misses.

It seems to me important to redo it.
    Post edited by ruslan1404#8974 on
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    Personally, i have always loved the Sudden Storm skill. It just doesn't do enough damage anymore. IT refreshes arcane stacks.
    edited March 2019

Personally, i have always loved the Sudden Storm skill. It just doesn't do enough damage anymore. IT refreshes arcane stacks.

M15
    stand still and hit, this is normal (no magnitude base skill is good)

M16
    And when moving everything is wrong.
    How many goals do you hit with its width and long? auto directions for speed.
    And how much less magnitude due to the fact that it seems like AOE, in comparison if he were single target with more magnitude?
    How many misses when teleporting jumps and movement?
    edited March 2019
    Shard of the endless avalanch.

is it a mockery In the current Mete M15 he has no place and in M16 he also has no place.

let's call problems openly.
    No dreams for a distant future.
  • vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    edited March 2019

is it a mockery In the current Mete M15 he has no place and in M16 he also has no place.

So some other Earth/Matter-related spell to replace Shard of the Endless Avalanche for the Arcanist?

How about:

Earthquake
    Animation: Pound fist into ground causing a concentric rippling in the earth with shards of rock bursting through
    AoE: 50' area around caster
    Effect: Prones targets in affected area and causes bludgeoning (50/50 physical/magical) damage. Mastery would prone for an additional second and cause 10% more damage.

Or if they wanted to keep Shard of the Endless Avalanche it could be improved by:
    • Reducing cast time
    • Targeting mobs directly instead of the fiddly (and laggy!) back and forth when using the reticule or by positioning
    • Have multiple casts: e.g. summon 3 shards (with counters akin to Blade Flurry or Griffon's Wrath) which rocket down towards 3 separate (or all on the same) target(s) in succession, proning the target(s) and adding a 10' AoE shardplosion (with lesser magnitude damage) for each shard. On Mastery it does 10% more damage and has a 15' shardplosion.
    Summon Earth Elemental
    Would be cool, but that would fit more into a Druid niche if there ever was that class perhaps.
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
    vordayn said:

So some other Earth/Matter-related spell to replace Shard of the Endless Avalanche for the Arcanist?

How about:

Earthquake
    Animation: Pound fist into ground causing a concentric rippling in the earth with shards of rock bursting through
    Effect: Prones targets in affected area and causes bludgeoning (50/50 physical/magical) damage. Mastery would prone for an additional second and cause 10% more damage.

Or if they wanted to keep Shard of the Endless Avalanche it could be improved by:
    • Reducing cast time
    • Targeting mobs directly instead of the fiddly (and laggy!) back and forth when using the reticule or by positioning
    • Have multiple casts: e.g. summon 3 shards (with counters akin to Blade Flurry or Griffon's Wrath) which rocket down towards 3 separate (or all on the same) target(s) in succession, proning the target(s) and adding a 10' AoE shardplosion (with lesser magnitude damage) for each shard. On Mastery it does 10% more damage and has a 15' shardplosion.
    Summon Earth Elemental
    Would be cool, but that would fit more into a Druid niche if there ever was that class perhaps.

at least something but a fragment with 3 clicks is not applicable.
    I practice call it a cart, but let him do it
  • vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    edited March 2019

vordayn said:

How about:

Earthquake

• Reducing cast time
    Summon Earth Elemental

It's just like how Icy Rays is 2 clicks. 3 clicks would put it on par with Griffon's. Blade Flurry is 4 clicks (with no limit in stealth). Really, key button presses though instead of clicks.
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
    edited March 2019
    vordayn said:

vordayn said:

How about:

Earthquake

• Reducing cast time
    Summon Earth Elemental

It's just like how Icy Rays is 2 clicks. 3 clicks would put it on par with Griffon's. Blade Flurry is 4 clicks (with no limit in stealth). Really, key button presses though instead of clicks.

I know or would sit on barbi.
    I love the wizard, but there is a real claims to the skill when it is changed, or crying on the fireball,
    ice veins cry or you do not see that the freeze fits Arcanist have become useless , which did not give my favorite class with lightning anything.
    edited March 2019
    Why no fix just 2 skill?
    Sudden Storm?
    Shard of the endless avalanch?

unused skill?
    I think if you wish to modify shard, keep the current design of it, but add something to it. For example, make it deal lightning damage to those who are hit which arcs between all hit targets for 25 mangitude (so if you hit 10 enemies, they each take an extra 250 magnitude). Then on mastery keep the live mastery effect.
  • rysiek86rysiek86 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited March 2019

I think if you wish to modify shard, keep the current design of it, but add something to it. For example, make it deal lightning damage to those who are hit which arcs between all hit targets for 25 mangitude (so if you hit 10 enemies, they each take an extra 250 magnitude). Then on mastery keep the live mastery effect.

Ooooh i wish that mastery effect was a common thing on shard no matter where we slot it ... its such fun skill when u can toss the 'mistic potato' as you desire :) Little sparks around the shard and we have a fantastic lightning themed spell :) I like the idea of arcs @thefabricant <3 (and it should be an additional effect on mastery slot if we could get the control over the shard on any other slot)
    From the other hand on live when we Tab the Shard we have a purple glowing hands effect ayyy ?? Cant we get both ... sparks on shard and hands hhmmm ?? :)
    Hmmmmmmmm. I totaly ignored the new popup on preview after loging to the game. There are 3 windows the left one is a brief summary of each class.

Let me quote the summary of our beloved Wizard.

@noworries#8859
    - Where are our roiling thunderstorms ?? (Dont tell me that is a Maelstrom of Chaos... this should be an encounter ... not a daily). Maybe we'll change Maelstrom of Chaos to encounter and we'll have AOE on the Arcanist path in the end, people will get what they want Ligthing AOE in an encounter
    - Thaumaturge. . . 100% agree (as for now this paragon is in very good state)
    - Arcanist . . . does it mean you are going to erase all the useless chill effects on feats (Snap Freeze & Frigid Winds) to fully support the arcane arts :D to "simply disintegrate enemies with pure arcane power" ??
    edited March 2019
    Arcanist should have 2 Lightning encounters. General has too many arcane skills. Just rotate Shard and Entangling Force.

Shard of the Endless Avalanche: (moved to shared skills and changed to a cold power)
    remove: 'every 4 seconds adds a stack of arcane mastery'.
    new added effect: Magnitude increases by 50 every 4 seconds.
    new added effect: When shard explodes, all damaged foes gain one Chill stack, and their Chill stacks are refreshed.

Entangling Force: (moved from general to Arcane paragon, becomes a lightning skill)
    decrease magnitude from 650 to 600.
    new Mastery effect: enemies within 15 feet of target are struck by 100 magnitude lightning arcs.

vordayn said:

How about:

Earthquake

• Reducing cast time
    Summon Earth Elemental
    Earthquake is not a wizard spell, and it's certainly not "arcane."

If you want to add a high level wizard spell alternative, better to go for something like Eyebite or Evard's Black Tentacles or something. Though in the latter case, I don't know if the Neverwinter license gives them access to that particular piece of product identity.
    edited March 2019
    (removed out-dated skill suggestions)
    Post edited by zimxero#8085 on
  • dontez1dontez1 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Thank you for the Fireball!!!

Fireball sounds and feels impactful but is a little clunky... The animation time needs to be lowered to .8 secs or so. It seems slow to cast compared to your other spells. Your character turns in odd directions when shooting it a lot. Besides that it works well with fire/ice/fire/ice combos.

Shard of the Endless Avalanche- One of the best AoE's in early days. Bowling for Monsters needs to have it's range increased by 15' or so and all animation of it sped up. The drop, and the push are very slow. This would be a great power if we could use it faster and farther.

Sudden Storm-Not having to double tap is nice. Sudden Storm shocks as much as a 9volt battery. It is so underwhelming compared to every other encounter. Give it back it's tab ability and increase damage and cooldown to feel more impactful please.

The only other real change I would love to see is..

Imprisonment- I don't want to say useless....but...change this or Sudden Storm to

Lightning Bolt - 80 range, single target, 15 sec cooldown with a 1 sec stun on the "line". Gives a stack of arcane :). With Chain Lightning on tab effect so it chains into other targets with a smaller damage effect. It should be fast and beautiful and be on cooldown awhile after.

There are some beautiful lightning effects in Lair of the Mad Mage and I would love to shoot some of that awesome lighting as a Wizard! This would give a real choice as to playing a Arcane Lightning Mage or Fire and Ice weaver.

I haven't been able to test the Fireball yet. I'd actually be fine with it being a slow recharge long cast spell as long as it hits like a truck and has a pretty big AOE: idea is you use it as an opener before engaging mobs, but not great as part of a boss fight rotation.

But anything people expect to use during an actual fight, yeah: a long cast animation is just killer. I don't even use Steal Time most of the time because of how long it takes to actually cast. Would be a shame if Fireball finally got added, but turned out to be a trash power-though, it'd be very 4E D&D on-brand of it.