test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official M16: Wizard

Comments

• nathan#8975 nathan Member Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Returning customer. I gave the game a break sometime around SKT with all the crazy attention being placed on things like fishing. I came back recently and have been really impressed. It seemed like mod 15 or so got a lot of things right. The CW felt really different than it did before I left.

So anyway, I looked at the preview server last night and this all just seems disastrous to me. I really don't understand why someone decided to throw away everything that has been fine tuned and worked on over many years. Whether the system was a success or not is irrelevant, because you threw it away to start a new system? How many years now will it take to get this right ? I might speak for a small minority, not sure, but I don't really care about critical strike resistance and accuracy and whatever else. That is confusing. Just give us a % chance to crit like before. Having X amount of sub types for numbers is cumbersome and necessary.

I also don't understand why all of my spells have the damage removed from them and placed with text & numbers about magnitude, but then do much more damage than the magnitude lists. Am I supposed to do the math here to figure out which spells are going to hit for how much damage? Someone in this thread mentioned that they worry for the other part of the playerbase that doesn't check the preview server or read the preview server forums. I'd be very, very worried.

Removing spell mastery was a mistake, too. btw. For those saying it's awesome cause you have a fourth encounter spell.... Hello? you've had one the entire freaking time. I know you would like feedback that has better suggestions, but I'm not a game designer. I'm a frequent payer through the zen system and re-occuring player and I don't understand the choices that are made. It seems very confusing and it concerned me so much that I came to the forums to figure out what was going on. You've seen this post before, apparently, all over these forums. It might be time to invest in different people on your team

• arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    @thefabricant " I think the class will be in a good state and as it is right now, compared to other classes, it has a much better overall theme." cw wont be in a good state due to cryptic studios history of content releases, you noticed that entangled force on tab key isn't a aoe cc power it is still a single target power and the daily power oppressive force radius is too small for a daily power and its damage low as well, they are the strongest powers on the class but they decided to Nerf its radius making them useless to use at all, they made ftf aoe with the incandescence feat, they give cw 5/10 feats from level 1 to level 80, they didn't even bother make a 17 feat build (8/16+ 1 class/paragon capstone feat), they didn't even bother to remove the crippled legs of the cw when they decided to remove movement from dark enchantments, and from what i read on stats and mechanics post INT wont give us much damage at all when over 10 points on it. i thank you for giving them feedback, but it all resumes to what they always did all these years, pretend they are listening but keep doing what they want and keep failing and delivering unfinished/broken modules.
  • krevgkrevg Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    I will also add as a general note, I have no issues easily soloing things like eLOL on live. For some reason, I can't even solo a single mob in eLOL on preview. Yes, I have balanced my stats for the new system, leveled to 80, completed the campaign etc. I have even updated my comps to be more advantageous and have over 90k power in PE. Is this the experience intended in Mod 16, or is there some sort of bug going on here?

I just ran with another CW I know well from live. We've done CR runs in less than 24 mins together. We both have horrible dps on preview. Also, I have tried the builds/feats recommended by @thefabricant and remain very underwhelmed from a dps standpoint compared to what and how fast I can kill stuff on live. Overall, the playing experience is significantly diminished in Mod 16 compared to previous mods.

Thanks.
    Post edited by krevg on
  • oaken#7261 oaken Member Posts: 17 Arc User

The Arcanist is fun, but not having a AOE at-will is really annoying.

I can't speak for other classes as I've not really played them very much other that the HR but I can say this to "fix" what i feel is hampering the wizard and I know I've spammed this before but I KNOW this will work and be fantastic for the Arcanist path! :)

The arcanist need a way to keep mobs off of him while the encounters are coming back and arcane stacks fall off so fast it just not fun or worth building them up.

Please,Please, Please... remove Arcane Bolt and create a Arcane lightning at-will that chains mobs and has a chance to stun for 3-5 seconds.

Every time we stun we build a arcane stack and acrane stacks are "infinite" until disintegrate consumes all acrane stacks for a big nuke...Rinse and repeat.
    Disintegrate on mastery- each arcane stack give a 2% Dps boost to disintegrate's hit.

This mechanic keeps us alive in solo play and prevents us from kiting everywhere and makes the arcane powers we do have more impactful and worth the cool down, and most importantly it could be a ton of fun and very rewarding!!

Additionally- the chain/stun effect can help in group play for melee classes and give the arcanist wizard something to do to help the team as our current at-wills are useless.

Can we get some Dev response on this Please and Thank you?
    :)

• arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    @noworries#8859 What was the idea behind the build for Arcanist paragon? and What was the idea behind the build for Thaumaturge paragon?
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    (removed out-dated skill suggestions)
    Post edited by zimxero#8085 on
  • ruslan1404#8974 ruslan1404 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Make Sudden Storm not AOE or change it. it now occupies a valuable place in the slots
    Post edited by ruslan1404#8974 on
  • ruslan1404#8974 ruslan1404 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    Sudden Storm In Life unused skill by many wizards because there is a choice.

Please do not kill all the possibilities of lightning 1 stupid skill
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    I copied my CW from live and got the gear off Neverember to be able to start the campaign. She has a Valindra set and Fey weapons. A set of Archons, but none are legendary, and their companion options are the best choices I had plus Con Artist. Running Air Archon summoned, Rank 9 bondings. Most campaigns done.

So far I’ve been having success with Thaumaturge, the CC effects it produces keep the experience smooth enough that I can play her.

I tried Arcanist and it was a disaster. Enemies I was managing readily on Thaumaturge were suddenly dangerous and hard to kill. At this point (just got her to 75) I consider Arcarnist unplayable.

One final thing I was really looking forward to trying Cataclysm, I read the description and not the mechanics and it sounded like the exact power I wanted for my rotation. Then I slotted it and tried to use it...then ai unslotted it and was sad. Options: call it Burning Hands and give it fluff derived from the DnD spell of the same name, or make it a 360 AoE that feels like a Cataclysm not a little spurt of flame like a wyrmling hiccuped.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • trelamytrelamy Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    So.. have we given up on Fireball..? Fiiiiiireball, need it, want it, can't live without it.

If you ask me how i live without it, i struggle for survival. Giffffffff us.

Our beliefs don't make us better people. Our actions do.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    Well looks like there will be a lot of happy wizards today. FIREBALL!!!
  • gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User

I will try this old famous d&d level 3 Fireball when I will be back at home... I hope it will be good...
    “He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
  • rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    arazith07 said:

Well looks like there will be a lot of happy wizards today. FIREBALL!!!

i know this isn't the place for this but cant wait to get home to test this !!!!!
  • rysiek86rysiek86 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    O M G ! ! ! Animation of Fireball is amaaaaaaaaazing !!!!!!! We are circus jesters no more !!!!!!!!!
  • oaken#7261 oaken Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    BRAVO Dev's Fireball is really good and it feels fantastic !! Thank you very very much !

Now if we can just get a arcane lightning at-will or some type of AOE At-Will for the arcanist path I'll shut up :) and just keep playing and spending money on this game.
  • trelamytrelamy Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    Thank you for the fireball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111!11!!111111

Our beliefs don't make us better people. Our actions do.
    As we are pleased by the Devs with a Fireball. How about make some more changes to the knockback mechanics on Wizards. The main question is do we really need this mechanic ?? Do we really want to spread the mobs around us and HAMSTER all the group members that we just tossed the mobs away of their AoE ???? My answer is: no. I hope most of us feel the same. Knocking the monsters back is not desirable.
    I will repeat some of the suggestions that were made earlyer

Sudden Storm
    Normal slot - check the aiming, because at this state it is barely possible to hit anythinng with that skill
    Spell Mastery slot - every target hit by the encounter gets shocked. Additional damage over time is applyed (magnitude 50) for 3 sec every 1 sec.
    or simply make it
    Lightning Bolt
    Normal slot - Change Maelstrom of Chaos into Lightning Bolt, same radious, same skillshot with nice circle that needs to be casted on demanded possition, cast time 1,2 sec, lower magnitude to 300 and quit the knockback mechanic cuz it simply doesnt work with tossing the monsters around.
    Spell Mastery - every target hit by the encounter gets shocked. Gets additional damage over time (magnitude 25) for 3 sec every 1 sec.

Maelstrom of Chaos - long cast time should reward us with a huge effect with lightning sparks all around us in radious 30' )or 35' maybe) and a big lightning fallin from the sky paralizing (make it prone if u want) all targets hit for 1sec. Come on, it's a daily, it honestly looks like an encounter in current state. Make it big, willing to be cast by players !!

Ice Storm - Revamped well, but how about quit the knockback mechanic that is realy bad and make it like this: If any target hit by Ice Storm has any stack of chill applayed it gets frozen. If a frozen target gets hit by Ice Storm the freeze effect extends by additional 2 sec. (pvp targets 1sec.) Magnitude stays the same. As a final Daily in the paragon path it would be much more usefull in my opinion.

As well i don't wanna come back to the Arcanist Snap Freeze and Frigid Winds Feats... I really hope u are going to do something with this and suggestions were made just enough that u are workin on it :)

What do you think about those ideas fellow Wizards? What do you think abot them dear Devs ??
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    rysiek86 said:

As we are pleased by the Devs with a Fireball. How about make some more changes to the knockback mechanics on Wizards. The main question is do we really need this mechanic ?? Do we really want to spread the mobs around us and HAMSTER all the group members that we just tossed the mobs away of their AoE ???? My answer is: no. I hope most of us feel the same. Knocking the monsters back is not desirable.

Sudden Storm
    Normal slot - check the aiming, because at this state it is barely possible to hit anythinng with that skill
    Spell Mastery slot - every target hit by the encounter gets shocked. Additional damage over time is applyed (magnitude 50) for 3 sec every 1 sec.
    or simply make it
    Lightning Bolt
    Normal slot - Change Maelstrom of Chaos into Lightning Bolt, same radious, same skillshot with nice circle that needs to be casted on demanded possition, cast time 1,2 sec, lower magnitude to 300 and quit the knockback mechanic cuz it simply doesnt work with tossing the monsters around.
    Spell Mastery - every target hit by the encounter gets shocked. Gets additional damage over time (magnitude 25) for 3 sec every 1 sec.

Maelstrom of Chaos - long cast time should reward us with a huge effect with lightning sparks all around us in radious 30' )or 35' maybe) and a big lightning fallin from the sky paralizing (make it prone if u want) all targets hit for 1sec. Come on, it's a daily, it honestly looks like an encounter in current state. Make it big, willing to be cast by players !!

Ice Storm - Revamped well, but how about quit the knockback mechanic that is realy bad and make it like this: If any target hit by Ice Storm has any stack of chill applayed it gets frozen. If a frozen target gets hit by Ice Storm the freeze effect extends by additional 2 sec. (pvp targets 1sec.) Magnitude stays the same. As a final Daily in the paragon path it would be much more usefull in my opinion.

As well i don't wanna come back to the Arcanist Snap Freeze and Frigid Winds Feats... I really hope u are going to do something with this and suggestions were made just enough that u are workin on it :)

What do you think about those ideas fellow Wizards? What do you think abot them dear Devs ??

I would rather keep the knock back on repel and shield pulse. If you use shield, it is not for the damage and as far as repel goes, well, wizards who pvp (not me) need the knock back there.
  • theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    I'm not level 74 on the test shard and therefore can't test out Fireball, but it sounds like people are pretty happy with it so thumbs up.
    edited March 2019
    I didnt mention Repel and Shield Pulse on purpose. The knockback on those encounters is a good option. But they are Arcane themed spells. I wrote about the knockback on Lightning and Frost spells because they can be swaped to something with themed elemental effect
  • vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    rysiek86 said:

Sudden Storm
    or simply make it
    Lightning Bolt

Knockback is not really useful with normal group play, I agree with you there, but there is still some utility in it with leveling mages (who cannot burn things so quickly), and also as a minor point it is still useful in PvP (which some people still do play, as I do).

I would love Sudden Storm to be reworked into Lightning Bolt, to make it a comparable skill to Fireball, in order to level out the Thaumaturge's vs Arcanist's abilities.

For Maelstrom of Chaos, reworking it into a large AoE power such as 'Lightning Storm' would probably be more fun (e.g. similar in animation to Split the Sky for HRs, but having the lightning bolt animations that the druids in Barovia summon). It would shock each mob within per second, with a 30% chance to cause stuns whenever shocked. As it is, Maelstrom's control effect is practically useless, it is too slow to cast, the AoE imprecise, and as you mentioned knockback is not useful in many settings.

Ice Storm's knockback is also pretty fiddly. The main thing I dislike about it is the long duration of its casting time, and the fact that it could be interrupted, otherwise it would be a very strong spell in PvP. Still, it has a nice animation and sound FX. It could be reworked into something similar to 'Lightning Storm' as mentioned above, but with added effects such as adding chill per second with the ability to freeze enemies within, however, if both types of AoE spells were implemented, it might lose a bit of the flavour and repertoire of Wizard spells at our disposal.
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Fireballs cooldown is quite long for an AoE skill, id prefer if its magnitude was halved along with its cooldown.

With regards to Arcanist feats, it would be appreciated if my charge suggestion earlier on was taken into consideration, Lightning really needs an identity of its own.
    Oh and i forgot to mention about Ice Knife

Ice Knife - it is a very powerfull daily, but how about instead of giving knockdown effect and adding chill it now consumes all applayed chill stacks from target and every chill stack consumed adds 50 magnitude to overall magnitude ?? (i know Fighters have some skill with 3000 magnitude, Rogues have Shocking Execution 3000 magnitude too, why Wizadrd cant have 2800 one if used well ??)
  • vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    rysiek86 said:

Ice Knife - it is a very powerfull daily, but how about instead of giving knockdown effect and adding chill it now consumes all applayed chill stacks from target and every chill stack consumed adds 50 magnitude to overall magnitude ?? (i know Fighters have some skill with 3000 magnitude, Rogues have Shocking Execution 3000 magnitude too, why Wizadrd cant have 2800 one if used well ??)

I would be happy with it consuming chill stacks to add more magnitude of damage per stack consumed, but you must note that the removal of chill stacks, even though you may apply it again fairly quickly, may reduce your DPS if you slot Chilling Presence as a feat.

No to removing the prone effect. It's a huge frickin' knife dropping from the sky, you'd think the mob it hits would be proned for a sec.

Plus, the knockdown effect is very useful in PvP ;)
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
    vordayn said:

rysiek86 said:

I would be happy with is consuming chill stacks to add more magnitude of damage, but you must note that the removal of chill stacks, even though you may apply it again fairly quickly, may reduce your overall DPS if you slot Chilling Presence as a feat. Just a point to note.

No to removing the prone effect. It's a huge frickin' knife dropping from the sky, you'd think the mob it hits would be proned for a sec.

Plus, the knockdown effect is very useful in PvP ;)
    Ok :D considering it as a good pvp skill (for those who play pvp). You are right ... Ice Knife is fine :D

But Mealstrom and Sudden Storm really need a hug :D