test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Communication In A Post-M16 World

shwabbashwabba Member Posts: 37 Arc User
I've been paying close attention to the M16 preview and I'm overall quite thrilled. The changes you've made seem to indicate a shift in philosophy away from "everyone's a self-sufficient superman" towards a more cooperative, group-oriented gameplay style. Clearly, this is going to upset some players, but I applaud any changes that bring this wonderful game more in line with the actual D&D it is based on. These changes will require more forethought and tactics, which will require more communication between players.

Communication between players is something that has not been of any great import on the console versions. It has, in fact, been trivialized, due in no small part to the difficulty of the chat interface. The only quick and reliable method of communicating is through a microphone/headset, which is rather unfortunate for those who don't or can't use them (e.g. hearing and/or speech impaired). I hope there are plans in place to help meet the increased communication needs these changes will create when they are brought to console.

My suggestion would be to enable keyboard support, where the input from a usb keyboard goes straight to the chat bar. It is my belief that this expanded chat function would create a livelier in-game community, as well as draw in the more traditional D&D roleplayer crowd. That would be an added bonus to the bottom line, since roleplayers are the ones who will spend real money buying the fashion gear, specialty mounts, skins, and other "vanity" items that others won't bother with unless it has great stats.

Whatever is decided, I hope *something* is done to facilitate these changes, so they can have the positive impact we're all hoping for.

Thank you for your time,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Shwabbaman

Comments

• johnnyreklaw#1518 johnnyreklaw Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    This is currently capable on the Xbox version of the game...

You are directly in the chat interface by hitting "enter" on the keyboard or when you go to the chat box, you can type directly in the box. Am I missing some functionality you're requesting here?

For the record, I have a standard wireless usb keyboard plugged in and type in the box. It isn't even microsoft brand.
  • froger#9967 froger Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    I also use a generic wireless keyboard on my Xbox (wired works too). Getting people to read chat is another thing though.
    Froger - Barbarian - Original Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Jade - Cleric - Healer Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Magnus - Fighter - 3rd main to be a tank - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Loverboy - Ranger - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Nomnomnommm - Wizard - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    I Am The Wall - Paladin - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    Xeros - Rogue - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    RIP bad name - Warlock - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Bardholomew - Bard - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Sirona - Cleric - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone

Jade - DC - Shadows of Gauntlgrym - PC
  • shwabbashwabba Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    OH. MY. GAWD.

I had tried years ago and it didn't work, but I never bothered trying again! I just figured it wasn't possible, never heard any updates about that functionality, and nobody EVER corrected me when I bitched about the chat! Holy HAMSTER! This changes EVERYTHING!!! If this works with my current keyboard I...I...I think I might cry.

Seriously, I'm going to tell ALL my friends, because the chat interface is what drove most of them away! DEVS; this should be common knowledge, please consider adding it into the tutorial communications part. Or put it in big red letters on the login screen. Whichever's easier ;)

THANK YOU, johnnyreklaw and froger for straightening me out!