test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official M16: Stats and Mechanics

Comments

• tardbathtardbath Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    Can we add Crit Sev and Deflect Chance in WIS too ?
  • theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User

They should just go ahead and force characters to choose a paragon path at level 1 instead of level 30, and have ability scores be set on the basis of paragon path. So when you swap from your Healer build to DPS, your ability scores change to match.

That is not a terrible idea, but think of new players making their first character suddenly presented with a choice like that. It might be kind of stressful being presented with two lists of abilities to choose from when you haven't even set foot in the game yet to see how anything works. And then there's the classes with 2 DPS paths. They probably don't need different ability scores for each.
    Then I say just get rid of ability scores entirely.
  • darkheart#6758 darkheart Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    > @noworries#8859 said:
    > Is it possible to have some answer from DEVS about this new setup to initial STATS? Why? There is some way to change it or it is definitive?
    >
    > Ability Score rolls during character creation are not coming back for M16.
    >
    > There are no current plans to go back to variable ability score bonuses based on class.
    >
    > Players will still have 20 ability score points that they choose where to allocate between racial choice, leveling up, and equipment.
    >
    > The paladin initial ability score distribution will be looked at this week and probably adjusted some.

I know we are being difficult with this request> @noworries#8859 said:
    > Is it possible to have some answer from DEVS about this new setup to initial STATS? Why? There is some way to change it or it is definitive?
    >
    >
    > There are no current plans to go back to variable ability score bonuses based on class.
    >
    > Players will still have 20 ability score points that they choose where to allocate between racial choice, leveling up, and equipment.
    >
    > The paladin initial ability score distribution will be looked at this week and probably adjusted some.

Sorry for being difficult about this topic, but just some thoughts to express.

1) This preview is for feedbsck and seeing most replies on this change, the feedback is dont do this, or implement differently.
    If you are not taking feedback into thought process changes on certain things, then let us know that those things are set in stone.

2) The change for WIS for cleric, while adding outgoing healing is a nice addition, you are hamstringing the DPS side since INT would be the preferred stat.

In the end tbe sky may not be falling, but the rigid sticking on this I believe will come back to bite you guys.
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited March 2019

Is it possible to have some answer from DEVS about this new setup to initial STATS? Why? There is some way to change it or it is definitive?

Ability Score rolls during character creation are not coming back for M16.

There are no current plans to go back to variable ability score bonuses based on class.

Players will still have 20 ability score points that they choose where to allocate between racial choice, leveling up, and equipment.

The paladin initial ability score distribution will be looked at this week and probably adjusted some.
    Hopefully cleric ability score distribution will also be adjusted.

As many have mentioned, WIS is not a useful stat. Even when it's adjusted to provide an outgoing healing bonus, A) that's an awfully niche bonus; and B ) it's nearly useless bonus for an Arbiter.

If making WIS more useful, specially DPS-wise, is not on the table at the moment, then I'd suggest that Arbiter damage should be inherently bumped a tiny smidge to compensate for the lack of being able to roll an optimal spread.

While the difference INT and STR make to overall damage currently is very small, it's discouraging to roll a DPS class with an inherent disadvantage in dealing damage.

And perhaps most importantly, it's still thematically bizarre that Cleric effectiveness isn't somehow related to WIS. Under the current system, I'd rather have a high INT or even DEX as a Cleric than a high WIS, whether Arbiter or Devout.

If I could somehow take my character's WIS down to 1 and redistribute the points, I'd do exactly that. That's how bad it is.

Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,133 Arc User

Is it possible to have some answer from DEVS about this new setup to initial STATS? Why? There is some way to change it or it is definitive?

There are no current plans to go back to variable ability score bonuses based on class.

Players will still have 20 ability score points that they choose where to allocate between racial choice, leveling up, and equipment.

The paladin initial ability score distribution will be looked at this week and probably adjusted some.
    Can you explain to us how this keeps in the spirit of D&D?
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • darkheart#6758 darkheart Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    > @autumnwitch said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Can you explain to us how this keeps in the spirit of D&D?

It doesn't. What it does keep the spirit of is dumbing down the game, because Devs don't people can make correct choices, and it is easier for the devs to manage.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    cdnbison said:

How about Clerics? WIS adds very little, STR is nigh useless to a class with no melee attacks, which leaves CHA as the only useful stat, and it's a Secondary attribute. I'll repeat my previous suggestion of adding value to WIS while I'm here:

Current:
    STR: Stamina regen; Physical dmg boost
    CON: Max hit points / Action Point gain
    DEX: Crit severity / Movement speed
    INT: Control Bonus / Magical dmg boost
    WIS: Control resist / Incoming healing
    CHA: Companion stat bonus / Recharge speed

Proposed:
    STR: Physical dmg boost
    CON: Max hit points /Stamina regen
    DEX: Crit severity / Movement speed
    INT: Magical dmg boost
    WIS: Control resist / Incoming healing / Action Point gain / Control Bonus
    CHA: Companion stat bonus / Recharge speed

You want damage, take damage - but that's all you get. Stamina regen makes more sense in CON. AP gain adds a bit of value to WIS (and the +Control items make more logical sense there).
    I'd put the control bonus into charisma. Charisma is about influencing people, and while all of the control effects may not always be in the ways that charisma would typically be useful, it is still understandable.

I'm not sure that I would add an "incoming healing boost" to anything, but if I did add it then I would put that into constitution; Let those that most need healing (tanks) benefit the most from heals by making their primary attribute be the one that boosts incoming healing.

It also makes logical sense. A person in good overall physical health is generally going to recover more quickly and completely from whatever illnesses and accidents than a person in poor overall health that has that same illness/accident.
    Whatever treatment a doctor gives goes further for someone in generally good health than it does for someone in generally poor health.

So using your template as a base and adding what we know about wisdom, that would make it:

Str: Physical damage boost
    Con: Max HP, Incoming healing, Stamina regen
    Dex: Crit severity, Movement speed
    Int: Magical damage boost
    Wis: Outgoing healing, control resist, AP gain
    Cha: Companion stat bonus, Recharge speed, Control bonus

That seems fairly balanced to me.

I'm still hoping that they will give us two or three arrays to choose from, one of which can be marked as "recommended".
    That way people that know that they want to be an Arbiter could pick the array that is more int-heavy for example, as sad as that makes me to say it.

No rolls, just arrays. That's all that the old "rolling" system was, anyway... Randomly generating one of several arrays for your character.

There is no way that I would ask for a true rolling system. That's just asking people to sit at the keyboard and press "reroll" until either they lost the will to go on or they got 6 18s.
  • rapidstar#3272 rapidstar Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    And how about starting with lower ability score and when you choose paragon it would add a few points to the scores which are required for chosen role (DPS, healer, tank)
  • sprat140#9415 sprat140 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    I would like to add the change to WIS providing outgoing healing, not only hurts DPS cleric from getting access to INT for DPS increase as mentioned above. This also greatly hurts healing Warlocks who are set with minimal WIS and are going to be at a disadvantage to outgoing healing compared to Cleric and Paladins who start with way more WIS.
    edited March 2019
    So here's a thought: If Power and Max HP are really opposed stats, shouldn't +HP items give +1% Max HP (of your base Max HP) per 2000 points, instead of a static value?

It's clear Power/HP don't follow the same mechanics as the other stats. If they did, each creature and PC would have a much higher "base HP" and every instance of +2000 HP would be changed to +1% of that static value. Then, when you increase your power by 500, and the enemy gets +500 points of HP boost, it's equivalent to +500 Armor Penetration vs +500 Defense.

Instead, Power is multiplicative, and HP is additive.
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    When leveling from 70 to 71, it says i gained a feat/boon point, however, my total remained at 65 boon points all spent.
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User

It doesn't. What it does keep the spirit of is dumbing down the game, because Devs don't people can make correct choices, and it is easier for the devs to manage.

I think you've identified the main driver behind this and other changes - it isn't about dumbing down content, it's about making the content manageable by (what I presume to be) a fairly small development team.

• pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    One thing to keep in mind, is that even if your class ends up with bad stats by default, they've nerfed the value of the stats so much that you aren't losing much. If your damage stat is 8 instead of 18, that's a whopping 2.5% damage drop. According to Sharp, all stats give a bonus of 0.25% per point so ultimately it's only going to be a concern for min maxers.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • feliselafelisela Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    I am not a fan of Clerics treating Wisdom as a dump stat. Wisdom needs to affect Divine magic damage. The current system actively punishes clerics for wanting to be close to their D&D roots.

I feel like a level of character customization is being taken away for no real reason atm.
  • fenrir4lifefenrir4life Member Posts: 295 Arc User

While there's something to be said for a clear message, I think a lot of us were hoping for some insight into the reasoning for this change.

The D&D license is what brought a lot of us here in the first place; sharply divorcing the game from that license on something as integral to the idea of D&D as ability scores is an extreme enough step that it warrants something beyond a blunt reiteration of intent.

What is the goal that makes divorcing this game's expectations from D&D's expectations, particularly on casters, but on rogues as well, worth it?

Speaking as a roleplayer, I'm actually a little uncomfortable with planning out a character whose ability scores are so markedly different from what the tabletop version of that character has, so I'd very much like to know why this choice was so uncontroversial within the design team as to warrant that response, which boiled down to "we don't want input on this"
    pitshade said:

One thing to keep in mind, is that even if your class ends up with bad stats by default, they've nerfed the value of the stats so much that you aren't losing much. If your damage stat is 8 instead of 18, that's a whopping 2.5% damage drop. According to Sharp, all stats give a bonus of 0.25% per point so ultimately it's only going to be a concern for min maxers.

This is why I've just come along to the position that ability scores should just be removed entirely. If the Dev team doesn't want to deal with ability scores for .. whatever reason that they refuse to explain... well, then just remove them.

pitshade said:

This is why I've just come along to the position that ability scores should just be removed entirely. If the Dev team doesn't want to deal with ability scores for .. whatever reason that they refuse to explain... well, then just remove them.
    Your reasoning is pretty sound, but that prospect inexplicably saddens me. Just the sense of loss of something comfortable and familiar for no articulated reason. It's like a parent hiding their kid's favorite toy because "they've become too attached to it"

pitshade said:

Your reasoning is pretty sound, but that prospect inexplicably saddens me. Just the sense of loss of something comfortable and familiar for no articulated reason. It's like a parent hiding their kid's favorite toy because "they've become too attached to it"
    They've already killed the sacred cow, now it's time to slaughter it.
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Why not remove it?
    It became absurd, it doesn't do much really. We have mostly meaningless ability scores, a tree of lackluster boons and even 10mil mounts became equal to 50k companion.

I'm not sarcastic, if it's impossible to have it in some non-bizzare way, then remove it and be done with it. It's a fake choice anyway.

Those who will want to stay and play with whatever meaningful customization the dev team can provide will do so, and those of us that don't don't. No need to fake it.

What is the purpose to keep practically meaningless and forced 'buttons'?
    To entice D&D players?
    No need. Everyone upset as is.

micky1p00 said:

Why not remove it?
    It became absurd, it doesn't do much really. We have mostly meaningless ability scores, a tree of lackluster boons and even 10mil mounts became equal to 50k companion.

I'm not sarcastic, if it's impossible to have it in some non-bizzare way, then remove it and be done with it. It's a fake choice anyway.

Those who will want to stay and play with whatever meaningful customization the dev team can provide will do so, and those of us that don't don't. No need to fake it.

What is the purpose to keep practically meaningless and forced 'buttons'?
    To entice D&D players?
    No need. Everyone upset as is.

I actually agree, this could be a chance of just gettin rid of these bad designs that were dragged from previous modules, so that new players needed them to be viable.

I think it is a good chance to get rid of all of these, boons, mounts etc. shouldn't be that overpowered so players feel the need to reach that paywall. i would sacrifice this on all my toons.
    I don't think anything they charged explicit money for (zen shop companions) should change the direct functionality of what they do (+Control companions should still be +control) but I do agree that leveling the playing field by making old stuff worse than new stuff is preferential.

One concern is that if boon points have diminishing returns, there's not really an incentive for old timers to run the new campaigns.
  • lordtweety#3604 lordtweety Member Posts: 275 Arc User

Not the answer we were hoping for but thank you for making it clear that the ability scores/rolls aren't improving for the majority of classes or reverting to their previous state.
    pitshade said:

This 0.25% increase is what I had noticed and honestly, I had thought it was a bug, not wai. This basically means the ability scores you have may look terrible from a D&D perspective but in reality, make next to no difference to anything meaningful in game - except for the D&D experience of rolling your stats.

And to that I will say this: Neverwinter has never been a real D&D game. It is loosely based on D&D concepts and is set in a D&D world with the D&D name, which is what brought me over to NW in the first place. But it isn't D&D, something I discovered when I was presented with different stat arrays to choose from instead of real rolls.
    Main: Angels Scar
    Guild: Ruathym Corsairs
  • midental#5256 midental Member Posts: 136 Arc User

Tanks for your clear answer, i don't like it. But thanks for the answer.
  • mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User

Why?
    Is there a sensible reason that people having some options is worse than not, or is it simply that eliminating choice over what a player wants their character to be just makes it easier for you?
    Is this more bull HAMSTER about "Ooh... we don't want really dumb people to make the wrong choices..."?
    Because if it is, please don't patronise us.
    Really... please... DON'T.

Do you even acknowledge that the six words that give names to those six stats have meaning beyond "Generic Combat Modifier A to F"? If not, why not, and if so, do you not see how uniformity is antithetical to the basic concept of creating an individual character in Dungeo....

I'm just joking...
    It's quite clear that HAMSTER like spirit of the game have no meaning. Just make sure that those spreadsheets and graphs balance nicely and evenly... that;s what playing games is all about after all.
    Don't worry about the people laughing at you, they just don't get it.
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    @noworries#8859 there is a problem with the preset-ed ability scores for classes, WIS states incoming healing, might be good to change to outgoing healing and make it higher value for healers paths on cleric, warlock and paladin, CON need to be changed to max hp increase and stamina regeneration for tank path on fighter, paladin and barbarian, STR melee damage increase and combat advantage increase for melee dps path on barbarian, rogues and hunter, Dex increase damage of projectile for hr dps and increase deflection, Int increase magical damage and increase control bonus, CHA action point gain and companion strenght increase, i say this because the ability scores need to be set when player pick the paragon path and not when pick the class.
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    @noworries#8859

Been testing this out a lot and I will state this, mod has changed my opinion on NWO. To me mod 15 NWO was a true MMO like ESO, FF, WOW, etc... We had option, buffs, debuff, etc.. game was engaging and fun.

Mod 16 the game feels more like a loot shooter than a true MMO. In fact, after playing around with mod 16 I feel that the changes to NWO to be closer to a game like Destiny than a MMO like WOW and even Destiny feels more like a MMO than how NWO is in mod 16.

Here is why NWO is more like a loot shooter than a MMO. Lack of customization for our characters. We have some customization but not like a true MMO it is definitely more like a loot shooter. Also, like a loot shooter we will be using our weapons mostly (at wills for NWO) and our abilities to help do quick clearing when they get off cooldown. Just like loot shooters our weapon damage does HAMSTER but our abilities is where we truly can clear content easier when they are off cool down.

My next gripe is that our companions provide us 6 type of abilities/stats and yet we only get 5 feats. My gripe with the old system was that our companion provided more buff to us through bonding than our own stats and once again our companions are providing more buffs to our character than our own characters. That to me, even with the changes to companions being positive is still a negative as we are the champions to help save Neverwinter, not our companions.

I try to look at this from a positive but the loss of being able to truly customize our characters and combat when from engaging to slow and clunky NWO has become boring and tedious. What took a bit of time now takes to long and is no longer fun or engaging. Relying on compaions to much is also not fun as they are not the heroes, our characters are yet we need a mixture of companions to help with our limited builds.

Not sure what the end goal of the update is; is it to attract loot shooter type of players over to NWO? If so, I do not really think those type of player will switch over to NWO as combat is to slow and not engaging.

Also, way to many bugs in the lower content. Game just isn't fun in mod 16. I jumped onto my account on the console, created a rogue and start to level it up. It felt much better on live than what I experienced on test. Combat is definitely more fluid and engaging on live. Just something to consider as you move forward with fixing mod 16.
  • gripnir78gripnir78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Can any one try to explain me a reason behind that ability score changes?
    I mean I dont like it, and not buying "wrong choices" fairy tale as well.

I ask if any1 tried to find out a real reason why devs decided to do that?
    I simply woder if that change is so unnecesary, abusive for D&D and unwelcomed by players yet devs decided not to bring it back it must be some deeper connection to the mechanic.
    If those points give so few points in the end, therefore it should not be a game breaking issue, but devs reaction on that indicates contrarily.
    gripnir78 said:

Can any one try to explain me a reason behind that ability score changes?
    I mean I dont like it, and not buying "wrong choices" fairy tale as well.

I ask if any1 tried to find out a real reason why devs decided to do that?
    I simply woder if that change is so unnecesary, abusive for D&D and unwelcomed by players yet devs decided not to bring it back it must be some deeper connection to the mechanic.
    If those points give so few points in the end, therefore it should not be a game breaking issue, but devs reaction on that indicates contrarily.

We're trying. Asking the question and hoping they answer is about the extent of our ability to pursue the matter.
  • silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    There are a lot of requests to go back to class specific ability score bonuses. Specifically for damage. I get it. For example, in D&D each spellcasting class has a single stat that is considered their spellcasting stat and it is their most important stat when it comes to spellcasting.

But, here's the thing: In D&D, those spellcasting stats do not directly increase the damage from your spells. They increase your chance to hit with spells that require an attack roll. We don't have any attack rolls. They increase the difficulty of saving throws rolled against spells that allow saving throws. We don't have saving throws either.

No, the closest thing that we have to either of those is the Accuracy vs Deflect opposed roll. So, here's a proposal: ALL stats give a bonus to Accuracy, similar to the static ones given to Critical Strike and Combat Advantage. BUT, only the highest of these Accuracy Bonuses applies. Sure, you could try to stack up a more "useful" stat, but its going to take quite an investment to stay ahead of the one they pre-set as your highest stat.

Furthermore, in D&D, DEX adds to damage for ranged weapons. I propose that they remove the Critical Severity bonus from DEX and replace it with a Projectile Damage Bonus. And don't argue on the one hand be more D&D and on the other hand make DEX a crit stat. In D&D there is no correlation. Criticals are a flat chance (almost always 5%) and add a specific effect to damage depending on the edition of the game (max damage or double damage usually). DEX is irrelevant to that.

I don't see a solution for Weapon Finesse to make DEX a damage stat without going back to different stats doing different things for different classes. Feats here are generally not that broad in scope, rather they are highly situational.

There are a lot of requests to go back to class specific ability score bonuses. Specifically for damage. I get it. For example, in D&D each spellcasting class has a single stat that is considered their spellcasting stat and it is their most important stat when it comes to spellcasting.

But, here's the thing: In D&D, those spellcasting stats do not directly increase the damage from your spells. They increase your chance to hit with spells that require an attack roll. We don't have any attack rolls. They increase the difficulty of saving throws rolled against spells that allow saving throws. We don't have saving throws either.

No, the closest thing that we have to either of those is the Accuracy vs Deflect opposed roll. So, here's a proposal: ALL stats give a bonus to Accuracy, similar to the static ones given to Critical Strike and Combat Advantage. BUT, only the highest of these Accuracy Bonuses applies. Sure, you could try to stack up a more "useful" stat, but its going to take quite an investment to stay ahead of the one they pre-set as your highest stat.

Furthermore, in D&D, DEX adds to damage for ranged weapons. I propose that they remove the Critical Severity bonus from DEX and replace it with a Projectile Damage Bonus. And don't argue on the one hand be more D&D and on the other hand make DEX a crit stat. In D&D there is no correlation. Criticals are a flat chance (almost always 5%) and add a specific effect to damage depending on the edition of the game (max damage or double damage usually). DEX is irrelevant to that.

I don't see a solution for Weapon Finesse to make DEX a damage stat without going back to different stats doing different things for different classes. Feats here are generally not that broad in scope, rather they are highly situational.

So, I'm not gonna be a smartass and just start quoting spells at you, but D&D has a fair number of spells that do add your casting ability to damage or healing.