test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mod 16: The good, the bad and the rest

Comments

• wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

As you can clearly see, by my 2 charts linked below, the Arbiter Cleric Encounter Powers are forced by the Feats chosen.

For example;
    If you choose Sacred Bastion with Savior's Steps and Enhanced Astral Shield, then you must choose; Scared Flame, Bastion of Health, and Astral Shield. (1,2,C) This build allow for 1 free encounter slot.

Diverge from these 3 feats and you are forced into 3 Encounter Powers without choice. The only other choice would be to make a feat useless. If you choose Repeated Blessings, Extended Exaltation, and Reserved Divinity (A,B,3) then you must pick 4 Encounters which is impossible to do.

The feat tree is carp. <3
    Maybe I did mean fish, maybe not.</p>
    Hold on. Lemme find my glasses... and a microscope...
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

As you can clearly see, by my 2 charts linked below, the Arbiter Cleric Encounter Powers are forced by the Feats chosen.

For example;
    If you choose Sacred Bastion with Savior's Steps and Enhanced Astral Shield, then you must choose; Scared Flame, Bastion of Health, and Astral Shield. (1,2,C) This build allow for 1 free encounter slot.

Diverge from these 3 feats and you are forced into 3 Encounter Powers without choice. The only other choice would be to make a feat useless. If you choose Repeated Blessings, Extended Exaltation, and Reserved Divinity (A,B,3) then you must pick 4 Encounters which is impossible to do.

The feat tree is carp. <3
    Maybe I did mean fish, maybe not.</p>
    You made me laugh there!
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User

Try clicking on one of them instead.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User

However you are only given 10 Feats to choose 5 and this is where it gets real FUBAR. The Feats are THIS or THAT. The Feat you choose in some classes will drive what you can use in Encounter Powers, limiting the build to one way or the highway.

I made a long post over on the Preview cleric feedback forum about the feats, but as some of that is not cleric-specific, I am going to quote myself here:
    adinosii said:

Ideally I would just like a pool of 10 feats, where you could pick any 5 you wanted, but I may be too optimistic asking for that, so, assuming that we are stuck with having to choose, I wanted to offer my thoughts on pairs of feats.

Basically there should be some reason to how the feats are paired together, and ideally they should support different builds or playstyles.

For example something like:

If you want to improve your attacks versus single targets, pick feat A, but if you want better AoE attacks, pick feat B.

If you want “emergency healing” pick feat A, if you want better DPS, pick feat B.

If you want better performance in solo play, pick feat A, if you want better performance in groups, pick feat B.

This also encourages people to have different DPS loadouts, say one for solo play and another for groups, or one for trash and another for bosses.

We had some good examples of this with the boons in the past, like getting either a healing or a DPS effect.

Moreover, there should not be any bad pairs of feats, where both choices are more-or-less useless.

Hoping for improvements...
  • c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited March 2019

The Bad : I got wrecked in VT by first group, same VT which in MOD15 I solo in a couple of minutes. My stats were EXTREMELY diminished. Possibly a bug, but I dunno...

This is actually Good: VT is not intended to be a solo zone, so that means they are getting things back under control.
    I dunno, man. What use of upgrading yourself if all content will be as hard? How do you get a sense of progress at all? Why do I build boons if it will all get scaled down later on and taken away? So that lower level players feel better about it? So that you do not kill lower level monsters and make yourself useful in a grind fest that can take up to weeks to complete anyways?

Why do I build a high level character now? How can I turn all that time and gameplay into something profitable? How can I keep all that is profitable for me without losing it as soon as some major changed occur.

My alliance chat is dead silent. People are unsure, afraid. My friends left the game, again. My family members stopped playing, again.

I'm trying to keep things on a positive note, but look here - new content is being made to somehow, maybe, perhaps, get accustomed to the new way powers work. But... but... what's the issue? It's not made for lower level dungeons, at all.

Although I do agree that dungeons should be ran in groups, they should still be manageable in solo way in a private manner with less time, of course.

Now we have a bit more skill into the play, yes. But devs stated that they want you to feel good with playing a single build throughout entire game. That is ambitious! But how can I manage that if all my stats are as low as 2.000? Clearly it's a bug, yes, but what if it is not a bug?

Why do I need to be scaled down in order to play a level 70 content? Again same thing like in MOD6 where people LvL 60 were tougher than lvl 70. As you were leveling up, you got weaker in the process. Like, lol!

This shouldn't be happening, changes are way too drastic and I'm unsure if I want to support that. In fact, I do not support such drastic changes. I was advising people to stop keeping the support meta alive or thing will change, and change drastically. And it happened. Now, what? DCs leave game. OPs leave game. People built specific builds and now have to rebuild everything... until another drastic change takes place?

Yeah, I think that a MOD2 dungeon shouldn't be harder than MOD16 dungeon. Can you blame me for that?
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • vendoodvendood Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited March 2019

Quick question guys is the old campaign content still playable?

I will agree with @greywynd 's Yes. and add, still broken too!

<..snip..>

It is no longer a "thinking game", it is plug stuff in like a monkey and smash keys. You don't roll dice for stats. You don't swap builds for different situations. You just pick up a weapon and start hacking and slashing.

I try to support Cryptic and their games whenever I can - which is mostly, whenever they aren't HAMSTER up majorly and still somehow expecting us to clap our hands and go "Yay you're awesome!".

But unfortunately, a thinking game requires thinking designers and thinking programmers, and I honestly haven't seen much evidence of that lately. I also haven't seen much evidence that they are evaluating Mod 16 in light of player feedback at all, beyond simply using players as free bug-reporters and occasionally saying "Thanks, we'll look into that".
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

The Bad : I got wrecked in VT by first group, same VT which in MOD15 I solo in a couple of minutes. My stats were EXTREMELY diminished. Possibly a bug, but I dunno...

This is actually Good: VT is not intended to be a solo zone, so that means they are getting things back under control.
    I dunno, man. What use of upgrading yourself if all content will be as hard? How do you get a sense of progress at all? Why do I build boons if it will all get scaled down later on and taken away? So that lower level players feel better about it? So that you do not kill lower level monsters and make yourself useful in a grind fest that can take up to weeks to complete anyways?

Why do I build a high level character now? How can I turn all that time and gameplay into something profitable? How can I keep all that is profitable for me without losing it as soon as some major changed occur.

My alliance chat is dead silent. People are unsure, afraid. My friends left the game, again. My family members stopped playing, again.

I'm trying to keep things on a positive note, but look here - new content is being made to somehow, maybe, perhaps, get accustomed to the new way powers work. But... but... what's the issue? It's not made for lower level dungeons, at all.

Although I do agree that dungeons should be ran in groups, they should still be manageable in solo way in a private manner with less time, of course.

Now we have a bit more skill into the play, yes. But devs stated that they want you to feel good with playing a single build throughout entire game. That is ambitious! But how can I manage that if all my stats are as low as 2.000? Clearly it's a bug, yes, but what if it is not a bug?

Why do I need to be scaled down in order to play a level 70 content? Again same thing like in MOD6 where people LvL 60 were tougher than lvl 70. As you were leveling up, you got weaker in the process. Like, lol!

This shouldn't be happening, changes are way too drastic and I'm unsure if I want to support that. In fact, I do not support such drastic changes. I was advising people to stop keeping the support meta alive or thing will change, and change drastically. And it happened. Now, what? DCs leave game. OPs leave game. People built specific builds and now have to rebuild everything... until another drastic change takes place?

Yeah, I think that a MOD2 dungeon shouldn't be harder than MOD16 dungeon. Can you blame me for that?
    Quoted for truth.

Especially the first bit - we upgrade/spend time on our toons so they get better and kill stuff more easily.

I am re-running a GWF through the old campaigns and I can see the toon getting better and better at taking down Baphomet, for example. If that progression is denied/reduced/eliminated you got a dead game on your hands.
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    I like the new campaign. Love it that its not time walled and we aren't forced to repeat the same three quests over and over again for six weeks. It reminds me of elemental evil campaign but much better. However I hate the static ability scores for each class. I wish they would rethink this and allow us to roll up our own ability scores. We are not idiots but if you want, give a button to give a player who is clueless the option for the suggested scores. But let us DnD players have a chance to min/max our scores to play the style that we want. I can deal with the fifty fifty choices for feats and powers. Its silly that deciding a feat forces you to use that encounter. So you essentially have less options because once you pick a feat you aren't going to use an encounter that wasn't supported by the feat you chose. Also the class fighting seems fumbly.
    I like the new campaign. Love it that its not time walled and we aren't forced to repeat the same three quests over and over again for six weeks. It reminds me of elemental evil campaign but much better. However I hate the static ability scores for each class. I wish they would rethink this and allow us to roll up our own ability scores. We are not idiots but if you want, give a button to give a player who is clueless the option for the suggested scores. But let us DnD players have a chance to min/max our scores to play the style that we want. I can deal with the fifty fifty choices for feats and powers. Its silly that deciding a feat forces you to use that encounter. So you essentially have less options because once you pick a feat you aren't going to use an encounter that wasn't supported by the feat you chose. Also the class fighting seems fumbly.
  • ron#1747 ron Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    Ill let you know the BAD:
    dps paladins are dead!!! 😭😭😭 My main!!!
  • ron#1747 ron Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    > @klangeddin said:
    > In my opinion:
    >
    > The good:
    > 1) Removal of ID scrolls and auto identified items for everyone. I have been asking this for years, they finally listened.
    > 2) The new boon system. Despite not giving much room for choice (there is some at the highest tiers), I think that it actually is an improvement, because it allows characters to be more competitive without strictly requiring them to run through campaigns that they dislike. Depending on your build, most the previous "choices" were false choices anyway (as in, you could only nerf yourself by picking the wrong one).
    > 3) Level cap increase. A long time coming. This will help even the field between The Haves and The Have Nots, the gap was just too wide and a reset had to happen.
    > 4) Refine all insignias button. Another QoL feature that should have been a long time ago.
    >
    > The mixed:
    > 1) The overall adjustment of stats. Removing Lifesteal was a good idea, Removing Recovery (without a proper substitute) was not. At least Armor Penetration was finally toned down to be a proper counter of Defense, instead of being twice as effective.
    > 2) Companions adjustments. I like it that it's more streamlined and simplified, however, two things worry me, the first one is that what's the point of augments anymore if the only runestones we can slot are the Bonding ones? Do Augments trigger those in mod 16. I could not verify it properly. The second problem is that companions now wear only Companion dedicated gear. This might cause issues with inventory management and certain characters may find their own companion naked.
    >
    > The bad:
    > 1) The general feel of combat is that it's been slowed down. This is very serious and can be a game killer for what used to be a fast paced action oriented game. At-wills being too weak, Dailies being too strong, and Encounters have too long cooldowns (in fact Dailies happen more often than encounters, since the AP generation is sky high right now on preview).
    > 2) Class balance issues. Perhaps too early to judge, but it really feels like the situation here gotten worse from live. From what I heard, Barbarian is in a very bad place, and Paladin got hit very hard with the nerf hammer (this may be their fault though, since they are too used with such an easy mode class since mod 6). I've also played along with a cleric that really not satisfied by his healer spec, and he felt it was underwhelming. Most feats and passive powers also feel useless.
    > 3) Adding more RNG to combat was negative. The choices to limit Crit and Deflect to to 50%, as well as the additions of Critical Avoidance and Accuracy, increase the impact of RNG from an offensive perspective. RNG in combat simply detracts from player decisions, skills and reaction times and transfers it to automatic computer calculations.

Everyone is talking about the nerfs to paladins, and especially for the dps ones... Well, like me? 😭
  • havlockehavlocke Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    Yeah, my Burnadin is cactus :(
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    ron#1747 said:

Everyone is talking about the nerfs to paladins, and especially for the dps ones... Well, like me? 😭

Well, not "everyone", but yeah.... you are right, DPS-focused paladins are a thing of the past. I think the goal is to make it possible for the Tank/Heal Paladin builds to do something like the 70% of the DPS of a "real" DPS - enough to make them able to do the solo content without any hassle, but not enough too compete with a real DPSer.

This is really an aspect of the trend to force people into narrow, well-defined role ... remove ability choices, make sure we all have pretty identical stats at the same IL, basically making characters interchangeable....any two characters of the same class and similar IL will be pretty much identical.

At least we still get to pick which powers we use, but maybe that oversight will be fixed in the next mod.

I hate this dumbing down of the character development. Sure, it is possible to go to the other extreme - if any of you have ever played Project: Gorgon, you know what I mean - endless, complex ability trees, basically ensuring that no two characters will ever be alike. Something between those extremes would be nice.

Hoping for improvements...
  • manufracturemanufracture Member Posts: 92 Arc User

Somehow I managed to delete my comment. I'll try again.

Great analysis done by the OP. A (almost) totally agree. I will not focus on the good or mixed. All these changes seem necessary for the long term health of the game.

Here my two cents:

- Character creation and progression has been oversimplified. As the OP said, one of the main characteristics of D&D is character design, resulting in hard choices at character creation and during leveling. But now we will have cookie cutter builds that all are essentially the same (at least for one paragon path). For instance boons: Practically all players will chose the same boons (in nearly the same sequence), except possibly for the two master boons at top tier. Then feats: how many feats to chose from now (and then some choices are just bad)? Awful

While to some degree I agree with you, I must however point out that the majority of the feats / boons were most likely being used in the majority of the player builds anyway. As a SW player I found that there were really only three variations to use where for, each use case, the feat / boons selections were pretty much static and probably used by other fellow Scourges.

What is interesting though is that progressing through the game and learning my craft, I found I needed to spend money to purchase re-roll tokens or slots to adjust my selections in a quest to find the perfect build. (and yes, perhaps I will miss the tinkering aspect of the game, not everyone enjoys that side of Neverwinter - some just like the combat.)

This new change probably removes that revenue stream for Cryptic - which is a bit strange.

- I understand that the number of powers (at-wills, encounters, dailies) were reduced. Most powers haven't been useful anyway. Mostly the good/useful powers have been retained (except buffs, nearly gone entirely due to general design choice). But why change the animation of the "good" powers? Take for instance GWF Weapon Master Strike. Its replacement power (other name but similar behavior) just feels very clunky to use. It would have been much nicer (and the changes would have been easier to bear), if the general behavior (including activitation time etc.) of the powers that survived the cut would have been closer to what we have come to know and enjoy. But no, everything had to change.

I guess that's what change is? Most people comment on these forums about how old / tired / stale the game has become, having to relearn your craft again sounds like a very good thing if the game indeed was old / tired / stale. And I guess those that think the game was absolutely perfect as it was, are within their rights to be irked by this.

But everything does change, has to change. To survive in an ever changing world / market, it is important to analyse the data to understand how much your specific market has changed, and then have the foresight to implement change appropriately. I doubt Cryptic would employ or be run by persons of such low IQ as to allow themselves to go the way of Kodak or Nokia.

Regardless though of whether you agree or not with any of this, it is going to change so you have two choices; Embrace the change and continue to explore the D&D world provided, or reject it and find something else to sink your time into.

- Along the same line, why introduce a new micromanagement burden (divinity) for healers (OP/DC). Playing a healing class is difficult enough. DPS and Tank typically only have to concentrate on the boss (maybe keeping the adds in their peripheral awareness). The healer has to concentrate on four players, that move around constantly (likely the tank has to move as well in mod 16) and are almost always in need of being healed (simultaneously or successively). In addition the healer has to keep out of the red areas, out of mob clusters. Keeping a constantly moving player targeted (with cursor targeting) is hard enough. Furthermore, I have to make tough choices what healing power to use, depending on the health state of the other players. But on top of that I now need to micromanage my divinity. Totally uncalled for. Not fun

I did say I was a Scourge by trade, so those that enjoy the micro-management style of gameplay will love this. Other's though, will choose another class to play I guess.

Anyway, I hope and trust you do not read this in an antagonistic light, for it is most certainly not intended that way, the intention is purely to broaden your views a litte.

Cheers
  • mikewho#5331 mikewho Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    @greywynd @sandukutupu
    Thank you for the answers guys.
    I was wondering if anyone could explain movement stats, are there items to build your speed?
    Not so much on Movement. Mostly a few feats/powers. No more complaints of speed-runners in leveling dungeons.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    @greywynd snap, I never used my speed to outrun the group I only used it for combat survival. That’s the only thing I was truly hoping they wouldn’t touch. 😰😱 whyyyyyyyyyy!!!??
    My GF has r10-11 Darks in Utility, Gladiator's Guile, Movement boost from a mount, and ITF. Gonna miss it.
    edited March 2019
    > @greywynd said:
    > My GF has r10-11 Darks in Utility, Gladiator's Guile, Movement boost from a mount, and ITF. Gonna miss it.

Amen brother my speed has saved me in places my 15k HR shouldn’t even be!

> @bobo#5090 said:
    > I love speed running Cloak tower when farming AD. I don't wanna spend 8 hrs farming 100k(on console). I can get Cloak Tower done in under 10min with my CW. Intermediate qs with my SW/TR take about the same amount of time. And thats how it should be when farming in low level content. However, it usually takes 45min for an adavanced q with my OP(hybrid more or less) and I have seen FBI take 1.5hrs. that's a bit long IMHO for farms. 30min for an advanced q, not bad. 45min I can tolerat, but 1.5hrs? Maybe for an exp, which I have yet to do CRL as it's seems like now that I have it unlocked(in the campaign, I've had the min IL for it for 4 months now) no one wants to run anymore.
    >
    > Maybe they need to have a scaled version of some these dungeons so that I can get the sunset weapons solo, without having to wait 3-6hrs to get a group that bails at the 1st boss cuz no one takes a min to talk things thru. or wait 2hrs for a q group that bails at the first boss. I've tried 2x now to do CRL, and both groups bailed at the 1st boss. 2nd group actually had a shot(we put the group together), and if we had wiped and restarted the fight we probably coulda got thru.
    >
    > It's total bs that the boss fights are so damned hard that you have to study a website for 30min or more before going into the fight. Not everyone wants to do that. And a 1st timer thru the dungeon isn't always gonna think to look for that info before going in. Putting groups together are hard enough as it is, let alone for dungeon runs that are too effing hard...

Last night I wait 40 minutes just to get into advanced que!
    Or was it expert que ? The second one down in the list .
    bobo#5090 said:

I love speed running Cloak tower when farming AD. I don't wanna spend 8 hrs farming 100k(on console). I can get Cloak Tower done in under 10min with my CW. Intermediate qs with my SW/TR take about the same amount of time. And thats how it should be when farming in low level content. However, it usually takes 45min for an adavanced q with my OP(hybrid more or less) and I have seen FBI take 1.5hrs. that's a bit long IMHO for farms. 30min for an advanced q, not bad. 45min I can tolerat, but 1.5hrs? Maybe for an exp, which I have yet to do CRL as it's seems like now that I have it unlocked(in the campaign, I've had the min IL for it for 4 months now) no one wants to run anymore.

Why are you doing Cloak Tower for AD? HOW are you farming Cloak Tower for AD? I would have thought just farming Demogorgon would be better. It takes barely 10 minutes, you get enuf Fareezes to get a key - on top of the freebie reward chest you get anyways. Maybe its different on Console but on PC I usually don't wait very long either. Each chest should get you anywhere from 6 to 10k RAD.
  • lordseth1985lordseth1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 319 Arc User

adinosii said:

many players are now stuck with rings they previously used on companions and those rings are now essentially useless.

This is an absolute moot point, but keeps coming up again and again and again... Why do people keep forgetting the level cap increase? Those equipment reached end of life even before companions were touched upon.
    IMO, it's good to know that now we have something better than the Loyal gear!
    Avestruz.Q.T.Seduz - Rogue, natural born assassin.
    edited March 2019
    havlocke said:

bobo#5090 said:

I love speed running Cloak tower when farming AD. I don't wanna spend 8 hrs farming 100k(on console). I can get Cloak Tower done in under 10min with my CW. Intermediate qs with my SW/TR take about the same amount of time. And thats how it should be when farming in low level content. However, it usually takes 45min for an adavanced q with my OP(hybrid more or less) and I have seen FBI take 1.5hrs. that's a bit long IMHO for farms. 30min for an advanced q, not bad. 45min I can tolerat, but 1.5hrs? Maybe for an exp, which I have yet to do CRL as it's seems like now that I have it unlocked(in the campaign, I've had the min IL for it for 4 months now) no one wants to run anymore.

Why are you doing Cloak Tower for AD? HOW are you farming Cloak Tower for AD? I would have thought just farming Demogorgon would be better. It takes barely 10 minutes, you get enuf Fareezes to get a key - on top of the freebie reward chest you get anyways. Maybe its different on Console but on PC I usually don't wait very long either. Each chest should get you anywhere from 6 to 10k RAD.
    Demogorgon does take 10 mins. + the 15 - 30 minutes you wait for it to pop. That is if you queue directly. If you go thru random queue, you might get Demo on the first try, or you might have to run 2 - 5 other things before it pops. I have done both. You would think that since Demo is one of the better rAD makers, from a cost/benefit ratio perspective it would be more popular.

@greywynd snap, I never used my speed to outrun the group I only used it for combat survival. That’s the only thing I was truly hoping they wouldn’t touch. 😰😱 whyyyyyyyyyy!!!??

Because you are unusual.
    adinosii said:

ron#1747 said:

Well, not "everyone", but yeah.... you are right, DPS-focused paladins are a thing of the past. I think the goal is to make it possible for the Tank/Heal Paladin builds to do something like the 70% of the DPS of a "real" DPS - enough to make them able to do the solo content without any hassle, but not enough too compete with a real DPSer.

This is really an aspect of the trend to force people into narrow, well-defined role ... remove ability choices, make sure we all have pretty identical stats at the same IL, basically making characters interchangeable....any two characters of the same class and similar IL will be pretty much identical.

At least we still get to pick which powers we use, but maybe that oversight will be fixed in the next mod.

I hate this dumbing down of the character development. Sure, it is possible to go to the other extreme - if any of you have ever played Project: Gorgon, you know what I mean - endless, complex ability trees, basically ensuring that no two characters will ever be alike. Something between those extremes would be nice.

The choice between one good choice, and one bad choice, is no choice at all. The choice between one good choice, an 5 or 10 bad choices, is fraud.

The choice between one good choice, and one bad choice, is no choice at all. The choice between one good choice, an 5 or 10 bad choices, is fraud.

I think its even worse than that. Cryptic wants to make it so no choice is a bad choice. So essentially all the feats are bound to an encounter. You just use those encounters and that's it. The damage between having and not having is exactly the same, its just written to sound like you are going to be doing more damage but when it comes down to it, you aren't. So if you pick the "wrong" feats/encounters you are no different than a person who did pick the "right" feats/encounters. Pretty much just close your eyes and click the buttons and youll be just as good as anyone else with that class.
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    we are basically 'cookie cutter' clones

havlocke said:

bobo#5090 said:

Demogorgon does take 10 mins. + the 15 - 30 minutes you wait for it to pop. That is if you queue directly. If you go thru random queue, you might get Demo on the first try, or you might have to run 2 - 5 other things before it pops. I have done both. You would think that since Demo is one of the better rAD makers, from a cost/benefit ratio perspective it would be more popular.
    Are you talking about on PC? Most Demo queues I've been in rarely take more than 5 min to pop. Unless I'm playing during the US deadtime. If I queue random, I can get anything and have to waste time doing them. I nearly always make my 100k a day limit within an hour or two of trying.
    wylonus said:

we are basically 'cookie cutter' clones

Welcome to MMOs in general. Some (awesome and completely monomaniacal) people work out the best build, and everybody copies it. You can have as complex a system as you want, but that's what comes out.

All a complex system does is give you
    1) the false impression you have a choice
    2) the very good chance you just gimped yourself.
    3) the excuse to complain that your "awesome" build would work if only the devs listened to you.

havlocke said:

Welcome to MMOs in general. Some (awesome and completely monomaniacal) people work out the best build, and everybody copies it. You can have as complex a system as you want, but that's what comes out.

All a complex system does is give you
    1) the false impression you have a choice
    2) the very good chance you just gimped yourself.
    3) the excuse to complain that your "awesome" build would work if only the devs listened to you.

What you say is true but it doesn't NEED to be that way. Its just lazy development game concepts that cause one build tree that excells over all the others because of other dynamics, animation issues, casting time delays, or rotation hangups. But to prevent telling you stuff you already know, it doesn't need to be that way.