test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

M16 feels like playing a new game.

2»

Comments

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    vheeshane said:

Does anyone think that they may have reconstructed Neverwinter as a prototype for the upcoming MTG mmo? I've heard whispers of this from some friends and just curious if anyone thinks this is even a possibility

The way the feats/boons build now puts me in mind of Champions Online.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    havlocke said:

havlocke said:

I dunno if it was in this thread or another but it has been repeatedly pointed out that they Devs have deliberately made sure that Solo play was possible. You can solo the campaigns and content.

Yes you CAN solo it, but if it's no fun ...
    They have slowed the entire game down. This is deliberate. If things are happening at light speed all the time, healing will become much harder. I LIKE a slowed down game. This is fun for ME. Just because you don't think its fun does not mean it is universally unfun.
    OK, maybe I should have phrased that better. If the game is not fun for a given person, they will leave, and these changes are not fun for me. If the game had been like this in beta, I would never have played it (I've done various betas and not played the final game) but to turn it into a completely different game years down the line after people have invested 10K hours and $2K feels like a betrayal.

I have no issue with slowing down the team game, but completely destroying the solo experience is not a price worth paying.
  • havlockehavlocke Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited March 2019

havlocke said:

havlocke said:

I dunno if it was in this thread or another but it has been repeatedly pointed out that they Devs have deliberately made sure that Solo play was possible. You can solo the campaigns and content.

They have slowed the entire game down. This is deliberate. If things are happening at light speed all the time, healing will become much harder. I LIKE a slowed down game. This is fun for ME. Just because you don't think its fun does not mean it is universally unfun.
    OK, maybe I should have phrased that better. If the game is not fun for a given person, they will leave, and these changes are not fun for me. If the game had been like this in beta, I would never have played it (I've done various betas and not played the final game) but to turn it into a completely different game years down the line after people have invested 10K hours and $2K feels like a betrayal.

I have no issue with slowing down the team game, but completely destroying the solo experience is not a price worth paying.
    You are 100% correct in everything you have said. And I do sympathise with you as you have invested time and money in the game. Unfortunately, this is a decision that they have made. The core of the changes aren't going to change, the best we can do is try to get them to move some feats or boons around and maybe change some values. But the game mechanics are here to stay.

MMO's always change. They always evolve. WoW is not the same game as it was on release for example. MMO's have to change to stay fresh and viable. And unfortunately for some of us, sometimes they evolve into something we don't like.

I personally think they could have waited a mod or two and used the time to make up more variety in feats and boons but I guess they felt some sort of pressure and they decided to make the MASSIVE leap here.
    havlocke said:

havlocke said:

havlocke said:

You are 100% correct in everything you have said. And I do sympathise with you as you have invested time and money in the game. Unfortunately, this is a decision that they have made. The core of the changes aren't going to change, the best we can do is try to get them to move some feats or boons around and maybe change some values. But the game mechanics are here to stay.

MMO's always change. They always evolve. WoW is not the same game as it was on release for example. MMO's have to change to stay fresh and viable. And unfortunately for some of us, sometimes they evolve into something we don't like.

I personally think they could have waited a mod or two and used the time to make up more variety in feats and boons but I guess they felt some sort of pressure and they decided to make the MASSIVE leap here.
    Evolution is fine by me, completely scrapping pretty much everything and starting from scratch is not. Basically they're creating NW2 without the expense of actually doing that, with all the disadvantages and none of the advantages.
  • lordnagy#1603 lordnagy Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    > @havlocke said:
    > The game was getting old and tired. People were leaving. Problems were getting worse and worse.
    >
    > One alternative would have been to shut everything down and release a new game called Neverwinter 2. In which case, we'd lose EVERYTHING and still get a buggy new game mess. This way we might get the bugs but at least we got to keep our stuff.
    >
    > There will always be people who would have preferred the old game. Nothing wrong with that or them. Hell, there are still people playing DAOC or Everquest after all. But this does not mean that game would have been viable to run for Cryptic. If you don't like this game, look for a new one. There are always plenty of choices out there. But, for good or ill, this is the only Neverwinter Online.

Simply speculation and conjecture..or are you an Arc employee?

There was nothing wrong with the old system that couldn’t be fixed by eliminating PowerShare and reducing some abilities. Class balance became a problem due to PVP...just ask a TR.

havlocke said:

havlocke said:

havlocke said:

Evolution is fine by me, completely scrapping pretty much everything and starting from scratch is not. Basically they're creating NW2 without the expense of actually doing that, with all the disadvantages and none of the advantages.
    Again, I agree with everything you are saying. However, they have nuked the old game. I don't know why. I just know they are doing it. I SUSPECT they had no choice. Nobody would want to take this step if they had a choice.

As for the disadvantages and advantages, I'd rather a NWO reboot which is what this is, rather than a brand new game in which we have zero progression.

> @havlocke said:

> The game was getting old and tired. People were leaving. Problems were getting worse and worse.

>

> One alternative would have been to shut everything down and release a new game called Neverwinter 2. In which case, we'd lose EVERYTHING and still get a buggy new game mess. This way we might get the bugs but at least we got to keep our stuff.

>

> There will always be people who would have preferred the old game. Nothing wrong with that or them. Hell, there are still people playing DAOC or Everquest after all. But this does not mean that game would have been viable to run for Cryptic. If you don't like this game, look for a new one. There are always plenty of choices out there. But, for good or ill, this is the only Neverwinter Online.

Simply speculation and conjecture..or are you an Arc employee?

There was nothing wrong with the old system that couldn’t be fixed by eliminating PowerShare and reducing some abilities. Class balance became a problem due to PVP...just ask a TR.

My opinions are PURE conjecture. And I've stated the reasons many times in many places now.

Power share is but one problem. As the meta is 4 buffers and 1 dps, that shows there is a big underlying problem. The fact that combat is 100% health or dead is yet another underlying problem. You'd have to eliminate quite a few things to "fix" these problems. And they would be band aids.

I main a TR. I'm doing about 2/3 the damage post mod 15. I'm alting a GWF and I'm doing as much damage if not more with half the effort. My OP feels like a goddess walking. This is great fun for some classes and people, but it does not make for a healthy game.
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    > @havlocke said:
    > > @havlocke said:
    >
    > > The game was getting old and tired. People were leaving. Problems were getting worse and worse.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > One alternative would have been to shut everything down and release a new game called Neverwinter 2. In which case, we'd lose EVERYTHING and still get a buggy new game mess. This way we might get the bugs but at least we got to keep our stuff.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > There will always be people who would have preferred the old game. Nothing wrong with that or them. Hell, there are still people playing DAOC or Everquest after all. But this does not mean that game would have been viable to run for Cryptic. If you don't like this game, look for a new one. There are always plenty of choices out there. But, for good or ill, this is the only Neverwinter Online.
    >
    >
    >
    > Simply speculation and conjecture..or are you an Arc employee?
    >
    >
    >
    > There was nothing wrong with the old system that couldn’t be fixed by eliminating PowerShare and reducing some abilities. Class balance became a problem due to PVP...just ask a TR.
    >
    > My opinions are PURE conjecture. And I've stated the reasons many times in many places now.
    >
    > Power share is but one problem. As the meta is 4 buffers and 1 dps, that shows there is a big underlying problem. The fact that combat is 100% health or dead is yet another underlying problem. You'd have to eliminate quite a few things to "fix" these problems. And they would be band aids.
    >
    > I main a TR. I'm doing about 2/3 the damage post mod 15. I'm alting a GWF and I'm doing as much damage if not more with half the effort. My OP feels like a goddess walking. This is great fun for some classes and people, but it does not make for a healthy game.

Your tr must be high crit no?

My tr lost a ton of movement speed... so much so that I am bored and frustrated when traveling. I used to run faster than mounts.. now I run the speed of stupid. #annoyingmod16
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    My friends list for the last few days has been "empty". Usually during peak time there are at least 10 to 15 friends on my list actively playing. I thought maybe they were all on the preview but when I logged into preview they weren't there either. One day is one thing but multiple days in a row seems like a bad sign.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Aye, NW Live has slowed down dramatically.
    * Few people online
    * Very long wait-times for queues
    * Very slow AD->Zen conversion in ZAX

Now.. it is normal for things to slow down at the end of a mod.

But it seems particular bad this year, and the reason is easy to guess.

It is not so much that mod 16 is bad, I think. It is just different. But such massive changes raises a lot of uncertainty about the future, which leads to lack of motivation to invest more into building the characters.
  • d3sp3rod3sp3ro Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2 Arc User
    "Neverwinter mod 16" will become a perfect example for all game developers, how to kill a game.
    Lust of money, pushes creators to extremes, they want to be like other games of this type. If they kill the uniqueness of the game and it becomes like any other available on the market, what is it supposed to attract players?
    Of course, my opinion, as well as most of the players, does not matter to them. Therefore, without scruples and with the speed of light, I will forget about the game in "neverwinter"
    havlocke said:

havlocke said:

havlocke said:

havlocke said:

Again, I agree with everything you are saying. However, they have nuked the old game. I don't know why. I just know they are doing it. I SUSPECT they had no choice. Nobody would want to take this step if they had a choice.

As for the disadvantages and advantages, I'd rather a NWO reboot which is what this is, rather than a brand new game in which we have zero progression.
    OK, we disagree on that. Basically the old game is by now held together with pieces of string put there by developers no longer on the staff, so there are going to be more problems going forward, with an aging graphics engine. They rarely make any changes without breaking something else. Look at the reasons for having to remove the foundry.

havlocke said:

havlocke said:

havlocke said:

havlocke said:

OK, we disagree on that. Basically the old game is by now held together with pieces of string put there by developers no longer on the staff, so there are going to be more problems going forward, with an aging graphics engine. They rarely make any changes without breaking something else. Look at the reasons for having to remove the foundry.
    LOL, isn't that more reason to reboot old game rather than keep going?

Ah wait, you reckon we'd get a new graphics engine if we had an actual new game. Hmm, can't fault that hope. But that would mean a LOT more money and resources than I think a non AAA company can afford. I seriously doubt Cryptic would be able to afford that. The upcoming MTG MMO might be interesting to see what sort of engine they use.
    havlocke said:

havlocke said:

havlocke said:

havlocke said:

havlocke said:

Ah wait, you reckon we'd get a new graphics engine if we had an actual new game. Hmm, can't fault that hope. But that would mean a LOT more money and resources than I think a non AAA company can afford. I seriously doubt Cryptic would be able to afford that. The upcoming MTG MMO might be interesting to see what sort of engine they use.
    Well you wouldn't build a new game with a 10+ year old graphics engine, nobody would buy it. I do wonder what the owners of the IP make of what is basically the removal of most of the essence of D&D from this game.

havlocke said:

havlocke said:

havlocke said:

havlocke said:

havlocke said:

Well you wouldn't build a new game with a 10+ year old graphics engine, nobody would buy it. I do wonder what the owners of the IP make of what is basically the removal of most of the essence of D&D from this game.
    Well, before you make any assumptions about WoTC's ignorance, the GWF was renamed Barbarian at their insistence. They are the ones who also asked to make the game more like 5th ed rather than 4th. I've played in a 4th ed campaign for nearly 10 years now and NWO feels very 4th ed. 5th Ed is significantly less cumbersome and they removed like 90% of the feats and character "options". Sound familiar?
    havlocke said:

havlocke said:

havlocke said:

havlocke said:

havlocke said:

havlocke said:

Well, before you make any assumptions about WoTC's ignorance, the GWF was renamed Barbarian at their insistence. They are the ones who also asked to make the game more like 5th ed rather than 4th. I've played in a 4th ed campaign for nearly 10 years now and NWO feels very 4th ed. 5th Ed is significantly less cumbersome and they removed like 90% of the feats and character "options". Sound familiar?
    That argument is not for these forums, but as somebody who played from when AD&D was brand new (and a bit of basic) 4th ed was never really D&D in the first place, I've played enough 4th and a tiny bit of 5th, but still mainly play 3.5. I was more talking about the stats and the like, and that building the character was a large part of the fun.

havlocke said:

havlocke said:

havlocke said:

havlocke said:

havlocke said:

havlocke said:

That argument is not for these forums, but as somebody who played from when AD&D was brand new (and a bit of basic) 4th ed was never really D&D in the first place, I've played enough 4th and a tiny bit of 5th, but still mainly play 3.5. I was more talking about the stats and the like, and that building the character was a large part of the fun.
    Heh, similiar here, except that my best friend liked 4th. So we've been playing in his campaign for the last 10 years. I too prefer (and have run 2) 3.5 campaigns. As for character building, it got a bit silly towards the end in 3.5, pathfinder, and 4.0 with bazillion different feats, powers and books you'd have to wade thru. 5th Ed has made a deliberate change to that. The game mechanics are better (imo) but the character generation is actually a lot simpler. A LOT fewer feats and options.