test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official M16: Stats and Mechanics

Comments

• lordseth1985lordseth1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 319 Arc User
    Someone can explain to me how that "combined rating" realy works? it only aplies for stats on equips or it increases the stats given by enchantments?
    Avestruz.Q.T.Seduz - Rogue, natural born assassin.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User

Someone can explain to me how that "combined rating" realy works? it only aplies for stats on equips or it increases the stats given by enchantments?

It is a rating on Gear but not enchants and other sources of stats. The sum of what each piece of gear is added to each stat except power and hit points. This is reflected on your character sheet directly. There isn't a line for Combined Rating, each stat like Critical Strike has it already figured in. Essentially when you see the Combined Rating on a piece of gear, that number is being added to all the affected stats. So if your pieces says it gives you Crit, then your Crit stat will go up by the number on the gear (as in the past) but also by the Combined Rating listed. Say the gear doesn't have Combat Advantage, the Combined Rating is still added to that stat as well.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
    pitshade said:

It is a rating on Gear but not enchants and other sources of stats. The sum of what each piece of gear is added to each stat except power and hit points. This is reflected on your character sheet directly. There isn't a line for Combined Rating, each stat like Critical Strike has it already figured in. Essentially when you see the Combined Rating on a piece of gear, that number is being added to all the affected stats. So if your pieces says it gives you Crit, then your Crit stat will go up by the number on the gear (as in the past) but also by the Combined Rating listed. Say the gear doesn't have Combat Advantage, the Combined Rating is still added to that stat as well.
    So, as on the pic here I would get 6,746 Crit and 4,498 CombatAdv, plus 937 combined stats for a total of: 7,683 Crit and 5,435 CombatAdv, right?

• pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User

So, as on the pic here I would get 6,746 Crit and 4,498 CombatAdv, plus 937 combined stats for a total of: 7,683 Crit and 5,435 CombatAdv, right?

Yes, plus 937 in every other stat except HP and Power.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • gestrisagestrisa Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    pitshade said:

Yes, plus 937 in every other stat except HP and Power.
    Does it also add to the enchantment stats? From +2400 to +3337 Combat Advantage?
  • artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    It doesn't add anything.

"+937 combined rating" is a short form for "+937 crit, +937 ArPen, +937 CA, +937 accuracy, +937 deflect, +937 crit resist, +937 awareness and +937 defense"
  • gestrisagestrisa Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    artifleur said:

It doesn't add anything.

"+937 combined rating" is a short form for "+937 crit, +937 ArPen, +937 CA, +937 accuracy, +937 deflect, +937 crit resist, +937 awareness and +937 defense"

So you mean combined rating means ALL STATS except hp and power?
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    gestrisa said:

Yes. In fact, I find the combined stats overly generous. My personal opinion is that they should be cut in half across the board (but I realize I may be in a minority here). They make it basically too easy to max out all stats. The whole system just encourages people to get the highest IL gear they can - no thinking required.
    Hoping for improvements...
    edited March 2019

Scaling isn't a proportional adjustment, scaling has a limit on how high an item level can be for a specific type of item, things above that are brought down to that level. That does mean different rank items can end up at the same effectiveness in scaled content.

Ah...right. It works just like the tax system in my country. OK, got it.

• c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    Just a proposition : Remove all Rating systems (Gear Score, Item Level, Combined Rating).

Please, for the love of God, we do not need those at all as people get misguided easily thinking that their higher level gear somehow makes them useful, which always proved wrong.

Gear Score = Item Level = Combined Rating

ARE NOT

Usefulness, skill, ability, prowess etc. Needing those is silly. I never found anyone orienting themselves based on GS/IL/CR.

The way I oriented myself was based on which weapon they use, are they in a guild or not, what sort of enchants do they wear etc, all done through inspection. Their high Item Level, Gear Score or Combined Rating will never, under any circumstance, be anything useful that I would observe. And I always found people who do that to be complete newbies.

Like people who won't use Ring of the Gravestriker +5 because it is lower IL than some Bronzewood one. That's why we get topics on forum saying "how did this 4-5K lower IL beat me in Paingiver chart when my IL is so much more awesome". - _ -

Seriously, we do not need any "combined rating" system. If anyone wants to prove otherwise I'm more than happy to hear why it is useful and for what purpose, exactly?
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • greyjay1greyjay1 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    @noworries#8859
    I'm not sure if this belongs to the Companion-section or to this one:
    I tested how the companion stats transfer to the player and I found the following results:
    1. Companion items + Runestones
      • The combined rating from Companion Equipment does not show on the Companion's stat-sheet, however it transfers over through bondings.
      • The multiplier that applies to the stats from these sources is the sum of your bondings ( for 3*r15s that would be 0.7*3 = 2.1)
    2. Companion Base Stats
      • The Companion Stat Bonus from Charisma currently grants a bonus 0.3333333% per 1 Charisma.
      • The Bolster Bonus *adds* to the bonding multiplier and ADDS FOR EACH BONDING, that means if you have 3 bondings slotted, you benefit 3 times from the Bolster Bonus.
      • Example: 3 Charisma, 3 bondings r15, Bolster Bonus of 35%: You recieve 1.01*( 3*0.7 + 3*0.35)=3.1815 of your companion's Base Stats.
    I talked to @thefabricant and he told me, that the combined rating from companion equipment didn't transfer to the player before the last patch, that would explain the huge stat-gain.
  • manipulosmanipulos Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    I didn't read all 10 pages here so forgive me if this has been addressed already, but does anyone know what's going on with combat advantage? It appears I can only gain combat advantage if I am positioned directly opposite of an ally, regardless of positioning of other allies around the enemy. Is this a deliberate change or a bug? I know combat advantage through positioning was bugged for awhile in the past, but it's wasn't too big of a deal as we had several other ways to gain it.
  • silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    manipulos said:

I didn't read all 10 pages here so forgive me if this has been addressed already, but does anyone know what's going on with combat advantage? It appears I can only gain combat advantage if I am positioned directly opposite of an ally, regardless of positioning of other allies around the enemy. Is this a deliberate change or a bug? I know combat advantage through positioning was bugged for awhile in the past, but it's wasn't too big of a deal as we had several other ways to gain it.

I think that is how combat advantage is supposed to work. Positioning only grants combat advantage as you describe: by having an ally directly opposite. Companions (but not augments) do count. Of course, there are also powers and other effects that specifically "grant combat advantage".

I think that is how combat advantage is supposed to work. Positioning only grants combat advantage as you describe: by having an ally directly opposite. Companions (but not augments) do count. Of course, there are also powers and other effects that specifically "grant combat advantage".

There are also two companions that specifically grant CA, Dancing Shield and, eh...Black Death Scorpion, I think. Those two are an interesting option for solo play, where getting CA may be somewhat hard for some classes.

• mikewho#5331 mikewho Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    So guys, what is the new Ranger like, what ability scores do they start with and is their bow and arrow made by nerf?
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User

So guys, what is the new Ranger like, what ability scores do they start with and is their bow and arrow made by nerf?

I'm not a theorycrafter, but just based on my own experience playing an archer HR on Preview - the at-wills are at or close to being BIS for a DPS. The biggest disappointment for me was the divide between aimed shot and electric shot. I have to be satisfied with AS and split shot as a wide field alt now. But I can't argue with the results so far.
  • fenrir4lifefenrir4life Member Posts: 295 Arc User

I'm not a theorycrafter, but just based on my own experience playing an archer HR on Preview - the at-wills are at or close to being BIS for a DPS. The biggest disappointment for me was the divide between aimed shot and electric shot. I have to be satisfied with AS and split shot as a wide field alt now. But I can't argue with the results so far.
    This isn't the thread for Ranger, but FWIW, dailies and ranged encounters do 0 damage in melee stance (making Rain, Cordon, and StS completely useless), but that's almost definitely a bug and not a subtle hint on intended playstyle
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    I'd like to discuss the Stats balance. In a previous thread I suggested transferring all anti-stats to a percent cancellation instead of a 1 to 1 ratio, but if the designers stick with their current system, this is what most players should/will do:

Firstly, the most important stat for every class & build is Defense. It should always be maxed to 80% as soon as possible. Player stat development progression ratio & stopping points should look like this:

Health = Quadruple the base stat values - (infinite)
    Power = Base Stat value - (infinite)
    Defense = Double Base Stat value - (stop at 55,000)
    Critical Hit = Base Stat value - (stop at 45,000)
    Deflect = Base Stat value - (stop at 45,000)
    Combat Advantage = Base Stat Value - (stop at 70,000)
    armor penetration = Half value - (stop at 20,000)
    accuracy = Half value - (stop at 20,000)
    critical resistance = Half value (stop at 20,000)
    awareness = Half value (stop at 20,000)

The only difference between end-game Tank & DPS is whether remaining stats go into Health or into Power/CombatAdvantage. Every non-Healing class should wield a Vorpal enchantment. It is twice as powerful as every other offensive enchant right now. It increases all damage output by about 25% (with capped critical hit). This isn't really over-powered IMO, its just that the other offensive enchantments are only doing about half as much.

Max defense causes you to receive 20% of incoming damage. This also means your incoming healing becomes five times as effective. The current gear system adds "combined stats", so you can't really zero-out anything. Every stat is on the cusp of having an effect at any PvE level, without adding any additional points. There is no reason not to put 40,000 points into defense. It's better than multiplying your Health by five.

I suggest that Defense and Deflect both should have a cap of 70%. This gives a total potential of 91% damage reduction. This way players will not always cap Defense over Deflection.

• mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    i have 24k accuracy but still the level 80 dummy or the mobs in lair of mad mage can deflect my attacks.
    edited March 2019
    I was looking at the "combined" stats for the highest IL gear (which may or may not be BiS), and that works out somewhere in excess of 15500 bonus points in every stat. That's....quite a lot.
    adinosii said:

I was looking at the "combined" stats for the highest IL gear (which may or may not be BiS), and that works out somewhere in excess of 15500 bonus points in every stat. That's....quite a lot.

Its obviously designed to offset the 'zero-effect' first 15,000 points of enemy accuracy, crit-resist, armor pen, and awareness at level 70-80. I think it looks and feels clumsy... but it does do the job.
    > @silvergryph said:
    > I didn't read all 10 pages here so forgive me if this has been addressed already, but does anyone know what's going on with combat advantage? It appears I can only gain combat advantage if I am positioned directly opposite of an ally, regardless of positioning of other allies around the enemy. Is this a deliberate change or a bug? I know combat advantage through positioning was bugged for awhile in the past, but it's wasn't too big of a deal as we had several other ways to gain it.
    >
    > I think that is how combat advantage is supposed to work. Positioning only grants combat advantage as you describe: by having an ally directly opposite. Companions (but not augments) do count. Of course, there are also powers and other effects that specifically "grant combat advantage".

So playing in a group, how it would work? If I have 1 or 2 players around any boss or big mob, like a T-rex or giant monster, I could get CA even not being right opposed to any other player or not?
    I always thought it was a narrow band opposed to an ally, or directly behind the enemy as they are facing. TBH i've always had instant marking, so I never had to pay attention to that.
  • tgwolftgwolf Member Posts: 501 Arc User
    adinosii said:

gestrisa said:

Yes. In fact, I find the combined stats overly generous. My personal opinion is that they should be cut in half across the board (but I realize I may be in a minority here). They make it basically too easy to max out all stats. The whole system just encourages people to get the highest IL gear they can - no thinking required.
    The way Classes and group composition requirements now work, especially once correct scaling is established will handle all the mindless aspects.

Anyone who relies on stats/iLvL to carry them rather than player skill will be weeded out and if they are unable to learn they will fail.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Just want to post this here in case people missed it...
    asterdahl said:

Just wanted to hop in and mention that wisdom will be updated to increase outgoing healing in this week's build. That said, if you have more general feedback on attributes and ability scores I would post in the thread: Official M16: Stats and Mechanics so that @noworries#8859 can see your feedback and answer your questions.

.. And now for the feedback.

Okay, that's something. For Devout. Not sure why Arbiters would care that much, and for Clerics interested in switching roles it's just telling them to split their stats.

I guess that's fair. I mean, Fighter DPS will want strength and Fighter tanks will want constitution, and intelligence is a Cleric's #2 stat, but Clerics have, in the history of D&D, never needed intelligence until now.

When the game first launched the stats that a class would want in the PnP game all mattered to that same class here. Every stat had benefits, but the prime requisites of a class offered more to that class.

Now? DPS Clerics start with an 18 wisdom and we have no say-so at all in that. You get what you get and that's it. Know that you want to focus on DPS and thus will find intelligence more useful? Too bad. You start with an 18 wisdom.

Paladins start with an 8 charisma because... Well, just because. Because they are tanks or healers and those classes need constitution and wisdom. Why is charisma the dump stat instead of intelligence or dexterity? Because it is, that's why.

For a game that started out honoring the PnP roots as it did, this is a very sharp departure from that.

No example may be better, or worse as the case may be, than Warlocks. Warlocks will want a high intelligence and/or wisdom to power them in their role(s), but charisma makes no more difference to them than it does to a fighter.
    They may get a little boost to charisma in their starting array, I do not know, but it doesn't matter. Yeah, yeah, it may make their companions perform fractionally better than a Paladin's, but it doesn't really matter. When it comes right down to it in this game Warlocks need one or two stats maxed out to operate at peak efficiency, and neither of them are charisma.

In the PnP game they want Charisma above all else.

It may be easier to code, it may be easier to balance, but it doesn't do much to make these classes feel like D&D classes.

Post edited by mithrosnomore on
  • theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User

Just want to post this here in case people missed it...

asterdahl said:

Just wanted to hop in and mention that wisdom will be updated to increase outgoing healing in this week's build. That said, if you have more general feedback on attributes and ability scores I would post in the thread: Official M16: Stats and Mechanics so that @noworries#8859 can see your feedback and answer your questions.

.. And now for the feedback.

Okay, that's something. For Devout. Not sure why Arbiters would care that much, and for Clerics interested in switching roles it's just telling them to split their stats.

I guess that's fair. I mean, Fighter DPS will want strength and Fighter tanks will want constitution, and intelligence is a Cleric's #2 stat, but Clerics have, in the history of D&D, never needed intelligence until now.

When the game first launched the stats that a class would want in the PnP game all mattered to that same class here. Every stat had benefits, but the prime requisites of a class offered more to that class.

Now? DPS Clerics start with an 18 wisdom and we have no say-so at all in that. You get what you get and that's it. Know that you want to focus on DPS and thus will find intelligence more useful? Too bad. You start with an 18 wisdom.

Paladins start with an 8 charisma because... Well, just because. Because they are tanks or healers and those classes need constitution and wisdom. Why is charisma the dump stat instead of intelligence or dexterity? Because it is, that's why.

For a game that started out honoring the PnP roots as it did, this is a very sharp departure from that.

No example may be better, or worse as the case may be, than Warlocks. Warlocks will want a high intelligence and/or wisdom to power them in their role(s), but charisma makes no more difference to them than it does to a fighter.
    They may get a little boost to charisma in their starting array, I do not know, but it doesn't matter. Yeah, yeah, it may make their companions perform fractionally better than a Paladins, but it doesn't really matter. When it comes right down to it in this game Warlocks need one or two stats maxed out to operate at peak efficiency, and none of them are charisma.

In the PnP game they want Charisma above all else.

It may be easier to code, it may be easier to balance, but it doesn't do much to make these classes feel like D&D classes.

I can't even see how it's easier to code. Easier to balance *slightly* (because then you know "Oh, we're dropping a +Int item, ergo this is an item for magical damage") but even that's suspect-+2 to a stat is +2 to a stat.
  • silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User

So playing in a group, how it would work? If I have 1 or 2 players around any boss or big mob, like a T-rex or giant monster, I could get CA even not being right opposed to any other player or not?

You should be able to gain combat advantage if you and an ally (player, NPC, or companion) are flanking the target. Creatures in the game are basically standing in an imaginary square hit box. For large enemies, you should be able to get combat advantage as long as you are each on opposite sides of that box even if you aren't directly across from each other. Trace an imaginary line between your ally and yourself If the line passes through opposite borders of the opponent's imaginary square, then you should have combat advantage.

...X
    +-----+
    |...FOE...|
    +-----+
    .......Y.Z

In this "drawing", X Y and Z all have combat advantage on the foe. Again, this is how it "should" be working. I'm not sure how consistently it actually applies considering such factors as lag and rendering time and so on. But, if you don't have some other effect or power to grant combat advantage, opposite sides is what you are aiming for. Hope that helps.

• fluffy6977fluffy6977 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    Stat changes don't make sense and are NOT an improvement. Much better to stick to DnD class stats and allow customizable rolls.