test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Comments

• adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    nisckis said:

As of today, Empowered runestone in defense slot (+HP) is not transferring any HP to character, neither from Augment nor from Bonding.

Uhm...bondings never transferred HP.....no change there. I think it a bit pointless to have runestones that give HP, but well...Empowered runestones are probably just meant for offensive slots anyhow.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • nisckisnisckis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 655 Arc User
    adinosii said:

nisckis said:

As of today, Empowered runestone in defense slot (+HP) is not transferring any HP to character, neither from Augment nor from Bonding.

Uhm...bondings never transferred HP.....no change there. I think it a bit pointless to have runestones that give HP, but well...Empowered runestones are probably just meant for offensive slots anyhow.
    I know, I know, bondings never transferred HP, I just wrote it for completeness.

• motu999#9953 motu999 Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    Again the system completely deleted a long post that was already displayed, because I edited a single word (expected -> intended). This is really annoying. Why post at all when half of the posts are deleted from the system?
  • theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User

Again the system completely deleted a long post that was already displayed, because I edited a single word (expected -> intended). This is really annoying. Why post at all when half of the posts are deleted from the system?

I usually have this happen when carp is changed to HAMSTER and I have to edit the HAMSTER word because I dislike having HAMSTER in my posts.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Pet's Damage is not downscaled for lower tiers of dungeons, leading them to do more damage then players.
    Post edited by thefabricant on
  • chemjeffchemjeff Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    Could someone please explain how exactly the Bolstering mechanic works?

Also, what is the difference between a companion's stats or abilities, and the companion's Enhancement Power?
  • fuzzmeisterjfuzzmeisterj Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    chemjeff said:

Also, what is the difference between a companion's stats or abilities, and the companion's Enhancement Power?

In collections, you will see 5 groups of companions. Companions from the same group as your summoned will give you a bolster bonus. The max is 35% bolster which is from 5 legendary companions (7% each). i don't know the total for other rarities.

Companions have player stats. You can have a mix of 5 of those depending on your character class. It's a mix of defense, offense, and utility. Companions have a 2nd stat called the enhanced stat and everyone gets to pick one of those. Enhanced stats are a lot less diverse than player stats and usually end up being "chance of X stat for 10 seconds" such as defense or crit avoidance. The player stats have the active bonuses that you are used to. These stats are also improved by rank making it so that you need a lot more legendary companions than you used to. Unless you are really lucky and have legendary companions that help your bolster bonus and give stats you want.

Summoned companion seems to matter less than it did with many of the debuff skills missing from hat I hear.
  • agilestoagilesto Member Posts: 516 Arc User
    May have been highlighted already, but just in case:

Only a fraction of my pets are highlighted in the collection.
    I have 149 companions, and when I copy a character to the preview, only a fraction of them are recognized in the new collection organization, despite being activated on the live server collection. (try out Ewilan Gil'Sayan 40@agilesto for example)

Some companions display twice on the "Manage all companions" tab, despite having only one of each. On this same #40 toon, it happens for the Razorwood, the Infant Gorilla, the Armored Orc Wolf, and the Sylph.
    Even stranger for the Razorwood, it shows mine with the correct name at the correct legendary quality, but it shows another with standard name, at epic quality.
    agilesto said:

May have been highlighted already, but just in case:

Only a fraction of my pets are highlighted in the collection.
    I have 149 companions, and when I copy a character to the preview, only a fraction of them are recognized in the new collection organization, despite being activated on the live server collection. (try out Ewilan Gil'Sayan 40@agilesto for example)

Yea, same problem jhere (although I have only 138 companions). This was reported a month ago, so they should be aware of it, but as it is not game-breaking, I guess it just has a low priority ... there is a lot of other small issues with the collections anyhow.
  • pyrosorcererpyrosorcerer Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 137 Arc User
    This might be an unpopular opinion, but this is a great chance to remove companion attack linked debuffs in a way that you can choose freely betweeen the list of comps on which you want summoned. Seeing everyone use the same summoned companion is very boring, it would be fantastic to make it so either every comp is equally useful or useless as summoned.
  • theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User

This might be an unpopular opinion, but this is a great chance to remove companion attack linked debuffs in a way that you can choose freely betweeen the list of comps on which you want summoned. Seeing everyone use the same summoned companion is very boring, it would be fantastic to make it so either every comp is equally useful or useless as summoned.

I agree with this, but only because I REALLY want to be able to just keep using my augment companion.

I heard that was already done. I dont have any of the popular companions on preview and there is no way to look at the skills.
  • onodrainonodrain Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited March 2019

You can choose freely. Bonding runestones and companion equipment are independent of the companion. You choose 5 companion "abilities" (meaning buffs to you). This takes the place of the Active ability each companion had.

There is a purple ability you also choose. This takes the place of the attack buff/debuff. When your companion is close, you can get a 16 second buff of 2000 to a stat or debuff the monster by 2000 to a stat. This occurs when you attack and your companion is near. I did not see it proc off a companion attack. So...all these work if you have an augment companion, too. Also, the buff only reapplies after it expires. So every 16 seconds your pet needs to be close to you.

Bonding stones do not proc. They just give the stat bonuses passively.

What does not work with an augment companion is the mount insignia bonuses that require your companion to use an ability.

The companion's attacks still show they buff/debuff. I did not test to see if they still do. The Harper Bard no longer buffs you with their songs. Or if they do, it does not show on your character sheet.
    Post edited by onodrain on
  • sn0wleezardsn0wleezard Member Posts: 9 Arc User

Please add a tab for companion gear, different gear is appropriate for different companions and this will add up to a really frustrating amount of inventory clutter. Also with having companions only able to use companion specific gear it needs to be more readily available than it is in the game currently. Please add a companion gear store in protectors enclave to get low to mid level companion gear at in order for companions to have something while characters are leveling, and add some companion gear items to campaign stores and guild stores.

Before this update, old gear or underwhelming drops from dungeons could be handed down to companions, making drops useful even if not equipped to your character, but after the update, that won't be possible, which means the only benefit these items can provide is as refinement points.

Please bring back the companion categories: striker, defender, leader (healer), and augment. The new categories don't make sense
  • isaacorion#1994 isaacorion Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    onodrain said:

The companion's attacks still show they buff/debuff. I did not test to see if they still do. The Harper Bard no longer buffs you with their songs. Or if they do, it does not show on your character sheet.

In my tests, the Yojimbo and the Chultan Tiger both still have their debuffs.
    Chultan Tiger actually got buffed on Preview in that Combat Advantage by positioning was benefitting it and enabling it to go slash-happy and apply its DoT (and dmg taken debuff). In M15 you had to run something that forced CA to get Tiger to go slash-happy, positioning didn't cut it.
    Yojimbo also got slightly buffed that his debuff attack no longer dashes him through targets (to suicide in certain cases) and seems to have reduced the cast time on it significantly. Though also a nerf in that he doesn't have the 60 ft dash to. He now has to take the long run to the enemy.
    Warlock: Don't want to let you down but I am hell bound. - Imagine Dragons
    Cleric: You can be an angel of mercy or give in to hate. - Shinedown
    Wizard: The more the dark consumes me, I pretend I'm burning bright. - Shinedown
    Barbarian: Am I beautiful... as I tear you to pieces? - In This Moment
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited March 2019

Please bring back the companion categories: striker, defender, leader (healer), and augment. The new categories don't make sense

The new categories, while not as descriptive of companion function, work better to promote whatever diversity may be possible and help prevent new players from falling into the trap of collecting, say, a stable of healer or tank companions, investing resources into upgrading them since they seem kind of neat when you're first starting out, and then realizing as they approach end game that they don't need to summon any of them.

At least with the new designations, that support-oriented companion might have some use in bolstering a desired category instead of being relegated to a complete healer or tank companion ghetto.

Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• lordseth1985lordseth1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 319 Arc User

chemjeff said:

In collections, you will see 5 groups of companions. Companions from the same group as your summoned will give you a bolster bonus. The max is 35% bolster which is from 5 legendary companions (7% each). i don't know the total for other rarities.

Companions have player stats. You can have a mix of 5 of those depending on your character class. It's a mix of defense, offense, and utility. Companions have a 2nd stat called the enhanced stat and everyone gets to pick one of those. Enhanced stats are a lot less diverse than player stats and usually end up being "chance of X stat for 10 seconds" such as defense or crit avoidance. The player stats have the active bonuses that you are used to. These stats are also improved by rank making it so that you need a lot more legendary companions than you used to. Unless you are really lucky and have legendary companions that help your bolster bonus and give stats you want.

Summoned companion seems to matter less than it did with many of the debuff skills missing from hat I hear.
    I couldn't get into preview yet to see those changes, but... All of companions that I got previously that was BTA or BTC I simply discarded and thus, I have around 10 companions... I really hope that I don't get HAMSTER up cuz of this. i really do.

So, could anyone out there post a print screen of that "new system" co I and, I think, more people around here can understand what's going on?
    Avestruz.Q.T.Seduz - Rogue, natural born assassin.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    When you enter boss arenas pets are desummoning themselves. In lair of the mad mage at the 1st and 2nd boss my pet (augment cat) was not granting me any of its ratings.

Hey y'all! While @sgrantdev is the main dev on this feature and forum, I'll be helping him on some of the issues y'all brought up, so all your feedback and bugs are greatly appreciated as we continue to polish and fix up this new companion system! I'm personally going to do a tooltip pass on all our companions to make sure that we fix up any 0s or broken syntax, and I will also be updating our collections pages so that all your owned companions will trigger the collections properly!

Note that while I'm on this forum, I'll also be bugging up a lot of your feedback, so expect to see fixes coming in soon!

Maybe a little less priority, but helpful would be seeing the type of player stat a companion has in collections. (Defense, Offense, Utility) A way to inspect and preview the companion's skills would be nice too.

@lordseth1985 : https://imgur.com/a/R07EPRi
  • lordseth1985lordseth1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 319 Arc User
    Thank you @fuzzmeisterj . thank the gods that most of my companions are from the same family/type! And I'm one of the lucky players that could get some loyal gear from the long-dead Sword coast adventures mini game. Seems like I have some chances on next mod.
    Avestruz.Q.T.Seduz - Rogue, natural born assassin.
  • lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User

Thank you @fuzzmeisterj . thank the gods that most of my companions are from the same family/type! And I'm one of the lucky players that could get some loyal gear from the long-dead Sword coast adventures mini game. Seems like I have some chances on next mod.

Loyal Whatever gear is good at L70. It's a great start for when you hit Mod16.

L80 companion gear is better than Loyal Avenger.
  • sgrantdevsgrantdev Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 81 Cryptic Developer

Companions are unsummoned randomly, for example, companion is periodically lost in basement investigation (possibly falls between textures). All cases when companion is unsummoned as the cases when developers has not written companion algorithm well and these are cases that are out of player control: fall in holes, fall between textures, do not follow boss mechanics and fall of platforms, etc. The player could not anything to prevent these cases. It is suggested that companions will teleport to the player in dead state instead of unsummon. Unsummon currently looks like punishing player for insufficiently advanced algorithms used by developers, as players do have any ability to prevent sudden unsummon of companion (except by summoning augments, which defeats idea of summoning companion).

I can look into something like this. I make no promises that I can get it to work properly but punishing of the player for companions being a little absentminded is something we would like to avoid where we can.

• darla#1921 darla Member Posts: 2 New User
    I came to play this MMO, because of the companion system you guys have, apparently you're the only company that offer's this in their games with exception to GW 1.

From my seven days of play, I have found somethings to be an issue, you can have 5 active companions. But unlike STO you can only use 1 at a time. I can understand this being an issue in town, but if you're in a solo dungeon you should be able to have them all.

Next issue is armoring your companion, it takes a-lot of work configuring companions, but if you want to switch between active an idle, all there gear pops back into your inventory leaving you to reconfigure it all again.

I also think for them to be an effective companion, they should have the same level as the player and should be geared the same way.

You guys have an excellent character creator and companion system in STO, tell that team to share the wealth with Neverwinter.

I came to play this MMO, because of the companion system you guys have, apparently you're the only company that offer's this in their games with exception to GW 1.

From my seven days of play, I have found somethings to be an issue, you can have 5 active companions. But unlike STO you can only use 1 at a time. I can understand this being an issue in town, but if you're in a solo dungeon you should be able to have them all.

Next issue is armoring your companion, it takes a-lot of work configuring companions, but if you want to switch between active an idle, all there gear pops back into your inventory leaving you to reconfigure it all again.

I also think for them to be an effective companion, they should have the same level as the player and should be geared the same way.

You guys have an excellent character creator and companion system in STO, tell that team to share the wealth with Neverwinter.

Eh, you are posting this in the Preview section, which is meant for feedback on the upcoming Mod 16, but your post really applies to the companion system in Mod 15, so it's not really appropriate here.

Anyhow...

In mod 15 you had one summoned companion which you would gear up with bonding runestones and equipment, and it would give you various bonuses. In addition, you could have a set of active companions, which would give you their active bonuses, plus if they were legendary, they would boost the stats of your summoned companion.

You would not put gear on your active (non-summoned) companions, unless you regularly swapped them with your summoned one, but most people didn't do that - just picked a good buffing companion and stuck with it. The only exception might be if you are leveling up, and found that you needed a tanking or healing companion for some tougher fights.

The whole system changed in Mod 16. Gear has now been decoupled from companions, so you can switch the summoned companion with no gear hassle. You can pick 5 powers granted by your companions, and higher rank companions will bolster the stats of your summoned companion if they are of the same "type".

Overall, the system is a big improvement - the only drawback is that companions now take only "companion-only" gear and that gear only takes arcane/empowered/profane/etc runestones.
  • darla#1921 darla Member Posts: 2 New User
    It's posted in Feedback: Companions, I'm giving feedback about companions in a game I'm currently playing it was meant to get to the right people to solve or fix it before it's released in spring. Hints the man or woman a couple posts above you.

I have also heard of the preview server but the videos I've viewed in order to use the preview server were made in 2016 it doesn't seem to apply to getting it to work in 2019.

But yea I read what you said about the companion gear, I'm not sure how well that will be. But it still sounds like if I take my 1 companion along with me again, it sounds like that companion is still going to be 1 shot by a level 71 or in the case of mod16 a level 81.
  • greyjay1greyjay1 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    I already posted this in the "Stats and Mechanics" thread, just posting this here again, because it affects both topics:
    I tested how the companion stats transfer to the player and I found the following results:
    1. Companion items + Runestones
      • The combined rating from Companion Equipment does not show on the Companion's stat-sheet, however it transfers over through bondings.
      • The multiplier that applies to the stats from these sources is the sum of your bondings ( for 3*r15s that would be 0.7*3 = 2.1)
    2. Companion Base Stats
      • The Companion Stat Bonus from Charisma currently grants a bonus 0.3333333% per 1 Charisma.
      • The Bolster Bonus *adds* to the bonding multiplier and ADDS FOR EACH BONDING, that means, if you have 3 bondings slotted, you benefit 3 times from the Bolster Bonus.
      • Example: 3 Charisma, 3 bondings r15, Bolster Bonus of 35%: You recieve 1.01*( 3*0.7 + 3*0.35)=3.1815 of your companion's Base Stats.