test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

sgrantdev#8718 sgrantdev Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 22 Cryptic Developer
Greetings,

Please post any feedback related to boons below. Details on the changes to boons can be found here.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/11097233-developer-blog:-updates-to-boons

Thanks

----

Formatting Your Feedback and Bugs

For posting feedback and bugs, please follow the following format to ensure your feedback and bugs are seen clearly and processed in a timely manner, thank you!

Type: Bug/Feedback (Please only choose one)
If you are listing a bug please have this text in RED, if you are posting an opinion or feedback please use CYAN. If you are replying to another user's post, asking a question, or just engaging in general discussion, please do not color your posts, general discussion is welcome and we will read all of it, regardless of color! You can use BBCode to color your text:

<font color=cyan>This text will display in cyan.</font> <font color=red>This text will display in red.</font>

Examples:
Bug: When I press the commit button nothing happens.

Feedback: It would be cool if I had a boon that would give me wings and make me shoot lasers from my eyes.

Comments

• ltsmithnekoltsmithneko Member Posts: 1,578 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Tier 1/2/3/4/5
    Training Boon
    - Only 1,130 HP per rank

Tier 3
    Simple Support Boon
    - Doesn't seem to do anything

Tier 2/3/4
    Healing potion boon
    - R1 Doesn't increase healing of em.
    - HP granted to potions doesn’t seem correct either way.
    - Couldn’t get the bonus effect to trigger

Tier 4
    Disenchanting Aura
    - Doesn’t effect characters Control resist Stat

Tier 5
    Welcome Blessing
    -Doesn’t effect player stat sheet

Tier 5
    Call of Power
    - Doesn’t effect player stat sheet

Tier 5
    Quick Turnaround
    - Still states recovery speed
    - Doesn’t show on character sheet

Tier 5
    Blessed Touch
    -There's only incoming healing being tracked on my character sheet, no outgoing.

Haven't tested tier 6 feats nor the dmg/res vs certain enemy types.
  • korina#4294 korina Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    <font color=cyan>It feels confining to me :/</font>
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    I miss all.my passive fests that refill stealth when I roll and increase stealth duration... I miss the combination of gloaming cut with shadow strike and one with the shadows... I miss my mobility build.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • murtagh#4249 murtagh Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Since this is your example, I'm guessing you already know about it. Just want to make sure. I selected only enough to use 10 of my 34 boon points on on tier 1. When I clicked the 'commit changes' button, it grayed out but did not use any of my points. Changing to another tab yields the message that I have unsaved changes that will be lost.

Edit: commit button never worked for me which you already knew.
  • ltsmithnekoltsmithneko Member Posts: 1,578 Arc User
    HP boons was fixed thank you. c:
  • sn0wleezardsn0wleezard Member Posts: 9 Arc User

Why have boons that only work against one type of enemy? A bonus against dinosaurs is only useful in Chult, so why would I take it? There are 8 of these enemy type specific boons if they are to stay, maybe combine them down to 4, having the defense and offense in the same boon. Then add boons that aren't enemy type specific.

It would work better if you keep boon points, except give a choice of endcap boon upon completing each campaign that is specific to the campaign, it is good to feel rewarded for finishing the campaigns. (Current pre-update system works well unchanged, but there is some logic to the new boon point idea.)

I don't like having to buy my way up a very boring boon list to get to the good ones.

Many of the old boons seemed interesting, the new ones are boring. Read and compare the descriptions you'll see what I mean.

It used to be easy to choose which boon to take now not so much.

You still have to go to the campaign windows to do the campaigns (please leave that as is) so I don't see how moving the boons to one boring window is actually helping except to see which boons I already have more conveniently (a "view boons" window would have been nice on its own).
  • tyfud#3254 tyfud Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    I'll echo everyone else on here. The boons, compared to live, are boring and uninspired. There's no real choice between most of them. You just pick the straight stat point ones and go on your way. The % dmg and defense vs specific mob types doesn't make a ton of sense either.

Additionally, the master boons are...not really useful.

I've got all the boons unlocked on live, and found myself just spending boon points in useless categories because they were so unappealing past the initial stat point boons.

If Master boons were made to be more unique, and interesting, that'd be worthwhile. It'd give us a reason to get more boon points so we could unlock the master boons. As it stands, for my alts, there's not much of an incentive, beyond increasing my IL.
  • karvarekarvare Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    Master tier boon Enhanced Application seems bugged. I have yet to see any heals, heals over time nor seen any reductions of damage. How does the damage reduction work, with our defense or as a second layer of reduction?
  • rapidstar#3272 rapidstar Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    I agree with what has been said here, there should be wider choice of boons. Now there is no reason to spend hours in campaigns like SKT or Cloaked Ascendancy because the reward isn't good enough. It is smarter to play campaigns which are easy to complete.
  • williamyouwilliamyou Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    This text will display in red.
    Recruit thru Captain training are broken

to Tier 4
  • admiralwarlord#3792 admiralwarlord Member Posts: 611 Arc User
    mushellka said:

Instead of these totally useless + dmg vs dinozaur / undead / et cet. give us boons supporting classes such as control / control resistance, out/ingoing healing, increased threat / reduction of aggro.
    It would be definitely more useful and liked by players.

Although I have not yet given my feed back on any specific subject, I believe the additional damage
    and reduction of damage received vs. Undead and Cultists really have good choices. If you look closely at the content of the game, something around 50% of the enemies are Cultists or Undead. A suggestion for the benefit of the dinosaur should be added beasts and dragons to be more attractive.
  • miotest#5683 miotest Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    It's nicely done. Unfortunately, it only has a PLACEBO effect - it's not motivational because it has almost zero value compared to ratings for a character. I bought an expedition pack because I wanted to boons fast .... I'm not gonna do it for those new ones. Moreover, I do not see room for further growth .... rather it comes to me as an effort to disbalance the ability to tune a character differently than the general idea of ​​the creator. The new player will be lost with such a small selection for character tuning and the advanced player will not have anything to find here. I wish a lot of success with the new MOD 16 ... I can handle the transition because I have a character and experience on the Xbox endgame. I have one character on the PC for testing.
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    The thing I don't understand is how does this system allow new campaigns to add things to the boon selections?

This seems like a very rigid, "done", system, where new campaigns just add points until we just have every boon until there is no need to do anything ever again because you have everything full.

I'm also not a fan of the RNG in the Boons that require the most time and effort to obtain, ICD I'm a little more neutral on, but RNG just makes the Master Boons a joke to me.

I have seen feedback in recent posts on the Paladin thread that the new Boon system is unclear on how they are obtained and applied.

The "monster type" Boons are trap boons of the type you say you want to eliminate from the game. Any new player putting points into the first one of these has been trapped into wasting a resource that is particularly valuable to them. They have no place in this new boon structure at all. And having reached them I only put points in them for completeness, there was certainly no urgency to add my new boon point.

Post edited by obsidiancran3 on
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • mushellkamushellka Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 357 Arc User

mushellka said:

Instead of these totally useless + dmg vs dinozaur / undead / et cet. give us boons supporting classes such as control / control resistance, out/ingoing healing, increased threat / reduction of aggro.
    It would be definitely more useful and liked by players.

Although I have not yet given my feed back on any specific subject, I believe the additional damage
    and reduction of damage received vs. Undead and Cultists really have good choices. If you look closely at the content of the game, something around 50% of the enemies are Cultists or Undead. A suggestion for the benefit of the dinosaur should be added beasts and dragons to be more attractive.
    Forgive me, but what you think is useful at best can be considered weak.. Most players, however, consider them to be the usual garbage, which is not worth choosing ... With so many defensive statistics, which we get in mod 16, reducing the damage from several mobs is simply ridiculous.

Better to feed the troll than listen to the idiot .
  • drumon88drumon88 Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    mushellka said:

Forgive me, but what you think is useful at best can be considered weak.. Most players, however, consider them to be the usual garbage, which is not worth choosing ... With so many defensive statistics, which we get in mod 16, reducing the damage from several mobs is simply ridiculous.

Especially when you consider that the only mobs you need to worry about are hitting for 30-50k+, an at most 5% DR from them is pretty piddly and ultimately has no real effect. Knocking 2500 damage off a 50,000 damage hit is not going to make or break anything.
  • theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    Really, the "+X vs Y" type boons will only be useful once there's so many boon points that people have nowhere else to put their points.

Honestly, I just wish there were more +Move effects in the game. Why the heck did the dev team decide to reduce the ability to increase character speed?
  • williamyouwilliamyou Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    This text will display in red.
    Training Boons still completely wrong
    Tier 1-3 same problem
    Tier 4 works but the Health values are wrong

I know you are doing your best. but patching something and not testing it before you patch it is a waste of your time.

<If you need a manager I am available
  • eregerogeregerog Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 47 Arc User
    While there are many problems with the new boons system, I want to focus on the two biggest ones for me:
    1. Monster specific boons: These should not be part of the boon tree as others have pointed out. Instead these bonuses should be awarded passively for unlocking boon points in a specific campaign: e.g. Whenever you gain a Chult boon point you also gain 1% damage and dr against dinosaurs, each Ravenloft boon grants 1% damage and dr against undead. This would make unlocking boons points more worthwhile, since you also gain a slight boost that will make you stronger in that campaign. As a follow-up I'd allow players to spend more points on stat boons (such as critical strike) from 2 to 4.
    2. Tier 5 bonuses should also be higher: We already get next to no action point gain, the points you can spent in that category is limited on top of that so I don't see a reason to make the decision of boons in tier 5 more meaningful
  • theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    So here's my thought on boons:

Each boon should give HP and Other stats. In addition, each character can "equip" one special boon, that functions differently, kind of like the final tier boons now.

Completing campaign tasks gives you boon points. You can select boons however you want. If you want to avoid players making bad decisions or whatever, cap each boon at X ranks, and slowly raise the max rank as new modules are released.

Completing a CAMPAIGN grants you access to a new special boon. This is a horizontal upgrade not a vertical one, because it doesn't grant you more stuff at once.

This way, boons can be easily measured in terms of their impact on the game: it's equivalent to +X item level per boon. Reduce the points given by the boons enough so old timers aren't x1000000000 the iLevel equivalence of newcomers, but aside from that, it's simple: boons increase stats.

You don't need anything more complicated than that.