test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official M16: General Feedback

Comments

• aimsiesaimsies Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 66 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

No campfire in the YP ?

What campfire functionality are you looking for? It should be possible to change load outs and do most other things anywhere in the Yawning Portal.
    Ability to invoke in YP would be nice.

I get not putting in a single fireplace as everyone would crowd around it instead of being spread out, but a general "you can invoke anywhere in here" like the SH could work. Or one section of the place.
  • lardesonlardeson Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    Well im just gonna leave my final feedback and hope the devs reflect on their approach. To be honest, im not sure what you guys are trying to do here. From my point of view you are taking the game from 100 to 10, the core of the game is gone, its just a much more generic mmo in mod16, i mean, i could play any other game and have the same fun as i'd be having in mod16. You are literally taking away the uniqueness of the game and making it a mmo that a 5yo can play, no more need to be indept with class mechanics, no debuff/buff, builds are just too simplistic and straightforward, most of the feats, boons are just there screaming "hey im here, im the dps feat/boon you should be using".

On the Scaling, i actually did like the idea on this but i think they way its being done is completely wrong. So a player that has been playing since cbt and has worked their HAMSTER off to have all they have, will now go into cloak tower just to be like a level 12 newb? nope, that makes no sense, scaling doesn't work that way. Kteam scaling was actually fun, it was challenging but still had the player effort in mind. Mod16 just seems like its taking away all these years of work.

The companion changes. Seriously? what was the point of me investing on legendary companions all these while just to give companions a whole new set of random stats and abilities? companions that were normally trash are now suddenly best and ones that were good are now garbage. All the spending on gear has been a complete waste of time, even enchants that were on companion. why did the companion system need a change?

All in all, all i can say is that the approach was good but the way its being implemented all at once is completely off, you are taking it from "neverwinter" to "dungeons and dragons" in a blink. Way to generic, killing the uniqueness of the game is a bad approach.
    Lardeson CW not Mage. Where's my fireball and my thunderbolt?
  • dariandelforddariandelford Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    If you want an honest feedback here it is... very simple to.

Currently as is, no matter how much you tweak and tweak on preview, your going to sped the next year after it goes live trying to fix everything that was missed. The reason being is this is a massive massive MASSIVE change to the very cord and fundamentals on the game.

Simply put you are biting off way more than you can chew. These changes need to be rolled out in much smaller portions. You have basically re-written every class from the way we have been playing them for years. We can not hope to test and possibly catch over bug, or exploit here. Once the newness where's off people will go back to live and you will be left with only a small portion of players to test things.

Once that happens things will be missed, and we all know what happens when bugs or exploits make it to live. You simply can not patch it out quick enough.

Seriously guys, we need to tone down the amount that will go live, so we can really test it.
    Darian Del'Ford
    AKA Taco Brotherhood of Pathfinders
    Old Neverwinter Nights AOL Launched it all!
  • kacsaneverkacsanever Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

Question: cleric primary attribute was WIS, gave increased outgoing heal and outgoing damage. According to preview server tooltips WIS increases only incoming heal. Is it intended (seems yes according to the aboves)? If so, which ability score increases outgoing heal? If none, why WIS is the highest by the layout of initial ability scores? Could you elaborate it?

You mean the 0% bonuses on things like physical damage?

(I know it's Strength, but bear with me).

There is a bonus. It's 0.240% from what I calculated (probably 0.25% in the code), and it's so freaking small that the only way you'll notice it is if you go into ACT and check the decimal places.

The first hit is with 18 STR, the second with 19.

57.6125/57.475 = 1.00239234

Bring the damage ability rolls back to 1% just like before. Otherwise, there is no point in really caring about the ability rolls.

If the plan was to ensure newbies would have no choice paralysis from ability rolls, then congratulations, the dev team succeeded with flying colors because everything is near useless.

Yes, there is an effect, but it's so small that the bonus might as well not exist.

I am 99,9999* sure it is 0.25%/score for secondary stat increase of the ability scores (just like AP/RP/etc does). Not this is my problem. The ability score you are referring to is INT and it adds 0.25% to Magical Damage Boost. It is OK.

I am still looking for reason WIS has incoming heal effect (no sense) while has no effect on outgoing heal for cleric.

As per D&D 5e, healing skills are based on xdy + spellcasting ability modifier base heal, where the ability is:
    Cleric: WIS
    Paladin: CHA
    Warlock: CHA
    This is what was before I think.
    I understand devs are trying to simplify things, but this move simply made the ability score a waste for clerics (and CHA for warlocks and paladins).

As all secondary stat seems to be affected by 0.25% per ability score I tried out all levelling scores on WIS and on INT. The base heal with preview only weapon (has fixed base damage) showed no difference while the 2% difference shall be recognisable when base heal is 18k+.

Other modifier of the spellcasting ability should be:
    Save against spells: this is control resist, so fine and reflected
    Difficulty check: for clerics there is one spell could reflect this which is the new encounter. I can't remember the name but removes one negative effect. I do not see any word in tooltips it relates to WIS (while it should I think).

So as I asked before, I ask again: could a dev elaborate what was the intention behind WIS has to be the highest score for cleric while it has no effect on the core mechanic of the class?
  • baeyornbaeyorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Ok, finished the grind to 80 late last night/early this morning. A few highlights/lowlights from hither and yon.

* do not stand in the red! too many gwfs/barbies, pallies, rogues, etc ignore the indicator red warnings. BAAAD habits from live build. some of these NPCs will one-shot you, even the level 70 ones.

* You had better have defense needed for the level. defense of 14000 for level 70 up to 24000 for level 80. memorize this, learn it, sear it into your brain.

* The boons structure is actually pretty simple... take the 1st three on the left for tiers 1-4, and add in defense or dps for the various npc types. First 3 on the left are hp/Power, plus to crit or armor pen, and resistance to crit or armor pen. I forget which are which tier, but toss points into attack/defense against undead/cultists/demons/etc. They will come in handy as you go through the zones.

* Since there is no VIP on preview, have a supply of intense injury kits. I would up using about 60 in the trek from 70 to 80.

* I would suggest a supply of Mass Life or scrolls of life resurrection scrolls. Nothing less than a count of 100 I would think.

* The next to last boss fight in Vandrakdoom(?) against Kesera (?) took me 2-1/2 hours to figure out as a barb. Since i do less dmg than a plastic butter knife (and I apologize to all butter knives out there), I could not fight her straight up. Wound up re-speccing into all the defense I could carry as a dps barb, changed out my enchants, radiant rank 13 to azure rank 13 in defense slots, and replaced my unparalled fey with a rank 12 holy avenger.

* um.. BAD idea to put the campfire in the same room you are to fight her Netherese lady-ness. She just camps the spawn at the fire, and one-shots you again.

* Still wound up kiting her all the way back up to where Celeste was cooling her jets at the entrance. Used an earth archon at legendary and just did a hit and run attack sequence on her. It was the only way I could avoid getting one-shotted by her Netherese orbs.

* When you go in to free Umbraxal, do not attack him, Using the Light of Elune attack only. I had to leave and re-start the fight since I actually took him to 1 hp health, and could not make the Light of Elune attack work.

* The markers are very confusing at the end of the Umbraxal fight. i wasn't sure if I needed to use the light at the stage, or on Glytrax(?0/Umbraxal in the middle of the room.

Lastly, a question... I've got all the tasks done in the campaign, except for Lair of the Mad Wizard. I cannot find any one in Yawning Portal or in Vandrakdoom that has a breadcumb quest..?

PS - Aside from the preview-usual bugs, and often mentioned barbarian dps and survival issues, was a solid trek from 70 to 80. I enjoyed the Twisted zone and Wylldwood zones the most. Wylldwood, amazing thing.. SHAPE-SHIFTING DRUIDS!!

That is all.

B)
    Post edited by baeyorn on
  • theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    baeyorn said:

Ok, finished the grind to 80 late last night/early this morning. A few highlights/lowlights from hither and yon.

* do not stand in the red! too many gwfs/barbies, pallies, rogues, etc ignore the indicator red warnings. BAAAD habits from live build. some of these NPCs will one-shot you, even the level 70 ones.

* You had better have defense needed for the level. defense of 14000 for level 70 up to 24000 for level 80. memorize this, learn it, sear it into your brain.

* The boons structure is actually pretty simple... take the 1st three on the left for tiers 1-4, and add in defense or dps for the various npc types. First 3 on the left are hp/Power, plus to crit or armor pen, and resistance to crit or armor pen. I forget which are which tier, but toss points into attack/defense against undead/cultists/demons/etc. They will come in handy as you go through the zones.

* Since there is no VIP on preview, have a supply of intense injury kits. I would up using about 60 in the trek from 70 to 80.

* I would suggest a supply of Mass Life or scrolls of life resurrection scrolls. Nothing less than a count of 100 I would think.

* The next to last boss fight in Vandrakdoom(?) against Kesera (?) took me 2-1/2 hours to figure out as a barb. Since i do less dmg than a plastic butter knife (and I apologize to all butter knives out there), I could not fight her straight up. Wound up re-speccing into all the defense I could carry as a dps barb, changed out my enchants, radiant rank 13 to azure rank 13 in defense slots, and replaced my unparalled fey with a rank 12 holy avenger.

* Still wound up kiting her all the way back up to where Celeste was cooling her jets at the entrance. Used an earth archon at legendary and just did a hit and run attack sequence on her. It was the only way I could avoid getting one-shotted by her Netherese orbs.

* When you go in to free Umbraxal, do not attack him, Using the Light of Elune attack only. I had to leave and re-start the fight since I actually took him to 1 hp health, and could not make the Light of Elune attack work.

* The markers are very confusing at the end of the Umbraxal fight. i wasn't sure if I needed to use the light at the stage, or on Glytrax(?0/Umbraxal in the middle of the room.

Lastly, a question... I've got all the tasks done in the campaign, except for Lair of the Mad Wizard. I cannot find any one in Yawning Portal or in Vandrakdoom that has a breadcumb quest..?

PS - Aside from the preview-usual bugs, and often mentioned barbarian dps and survival issues, was a solid trek from 70 to 80. I enjoyed the Twisted zone and Wylldwood zones the most. Wylldwood, amazing thing.. SHAPE-SHIFTING DRUIDS!!

That is all.

B)

Netherese Orb?!? SPOILER ALERT! Man, wasn't expecting to find anything from Netheril down here.

Is this Shade related? They never did follow up on that thing at the end of mod ... what was it, 12?
  • baeyornbaeyorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited March 2019

baeyorn said:

That is all.

B)

Netherese Orb?!? SPOILER ALERT! Man, wasn't expecting to find anything from Netheril down here.

Is this Shade related? They never did follow up on that thing at the end of mod ... what was it, 12?
    whole theme from Vandrakdoom is rescusing a dragon breing pulled into/changed into a shadowdragon.

A couple areas there you have to go into a shadowfell copy of the area. Pretty cool.

Oh, BTW.. those gloom knights hit HARD!!

baeyorn said:

baeyorn said:

That is all.

B)

whole theme from Vandrakdoom is rescusing a dragon breing pulled into/changed into a shadowdragon.

A couple areas there you have to go into a shadowfell copy of the area. Pretty cool.

Oh, BTW.. those gloom knights hit HARD!!

Yikes. My whole strategy for playing MMOs is "do nothing difficult, always overlevel." So who knows if I'll even bother with this content once it hits live.
  • someonediessomeonedies Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,257 Arc User

The Tensers Floating Disc change from 4k recovery to accuracy is a deal breaker for me. This is the single most valuable in game item I own, and I can't even come close to affording a replacement. While recovery was great for both a healadin and tankadin and was the sole reason i got the tensers, accuracy seems useless for a non dps character. It seems senseless to have to slot an epic mount bonus when I own a legendary. Perhaps a mount exchange similar to the enchantment exchange?

@noworries#8859 is it scum? Give us the opportunity to exchange it.

I have 2 legendary tenser disks on my characters, and now they are useless..
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • someonediessomeonedies Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    @noworries#8859 This bug has been reported numerous times since release(3 mods ago?), please fix it.

Checkbox settings (List View/Grid View) "reset" every time you close the window.

Detailed here: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1243288/pc-neverwinter-ui-revamp-polish-character-sheet

Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • raiderone000raiderone000 Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    Here are some of my concerns after checking out the Preview of Mod16.

1)Biggest concern is the changes to Initial Stats. Maybe they aren't updated yet? Why would all Classes use the same type?
    It doesn't make sense to me. The Initial Stats are way too generic. Look at Paladins and Clerics, they should have Main Stats
    of Wisdom and Charisma. It seems like a lot of Stat clarification is missing. I am totally undecided on how to even regulate them on certain Character Types because of lack of depth. Too much Min/Maxing too. No reason to other stats!

2)2nd Big concern is the pigeon holing of Powers/Feats. Why do they have to be based on Specific DPS/Tank Build?
    If I want Lay on Hands for a Tank Pally, I should be able to take it instead of another. Some powers should be shared between builds at least. It's like I've seen others say, A major simplification of Character Types. Not Good.

3)Why the big increase in Item Level to existing items? When are you going to leave it alone?
    Primal was 500. Now it's like 600+ It's the continuous power boost.

4)Why change Companions Gear? From Runestones to Enhancements. I don't like it but it's my least concern.
    Although it will impact all my toons and cause major change to how things are equipped. Keep in mind many folks
    have invested in updating them. Hopefully all can be converted, not just Eldrich.

I feel like all these changes will change how I like to play the game. And highly doubt I will continue.
    I mean the profession changes were drastic and I evolved with them. But changing my Character Types to their Core is Bad.
    I have never seen a game make these type of drastic changes. I have played DDO for 11 years before coming over to NW.
    The good thing about DDO is that I could back to today and the CORE will not CHANGE!!! They have added, but the Heroic version of the Toon is the SAME. EPIC version starts to change and is complex. But at least DDO feels like D&D.
    I'm not sure NW is D&D any more!!! Or ever was...

As far as I'm concerned this might as well be NW2 or 3 based on what I've read from forums and MOD6.
    If you are going to make a new game, maybe everything should be wiped! That's what this feels like to me.
  • itzlapolaloltzitzlapolaloltz Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    Yop!

Beside the enchants/runestones exchange, a nice solution for others stuff may be to unbound them all for a limited time after going LIVE.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

Lets take Mod 16 for what it is.

A Reset!

The power creep has grown way way out of control due to poor balancing decisions made in the past.

OK I get it, I actually understand the fundamental idea they are attempting to accomplish here. There are going to be massive issues throughout the whole process and I understand that preview has a long long way to go and there will be many changes.

I am one of those that left due to the CW being made almost completely obsolete and not desired in any of the end game dungeons simply because other classes could do it better. To be frank I was pissed.

However I saw the trailer for Undermountain and more importantly they were upping the level cap to 80. Kewl lets get back into the game. Now understand that I ONLY play a CW. Quite literally that is what I played in the initial beta and it is the only toon that I have. I'm just a wizard kinda guy.

But what upsets me the MOST out of this whole thing.

NOT ONE DAMN NEW ABILITY!!!!!. We are all gaining 10 new levels and instead of fixing said issues and gaining new spells/abilities all that is happening is the spreading out of current abilities. I mean I am so livid about this, its not even funny. I am not even going to touch on the almost cookie cutter builds this mod is now going to make almost everyone, especially the wizards. So here is my question....

WHY NO NEW ABILITIES, SPELLS ore FEATS for the additional 10 levels?!

Every class received at least one new at-will, one new encounter, and one new daily. I don't play wizard very much, and I did not work on wizard, so I apologize that I do not know what they are off the top of my head (and I am not in the office to check) but I can assure you wizard did receive some new spells. You might need to check the two different paragon paths, and carefully examine your spell list.
    The part about a new at-will doesn't tell the whole story. What really happened is that instead of having one of our at-wills be paragon-specific, now two of them are. This required removing an at-will from one of the paragon paths, so you had to add a new one to that path to make up for the loss.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User

the buff debuff was part of it but that's not all of it. the character building is cookie cutter; other than a maze of bizarre negative and positive stats to manage. The fun part of character building is gone. You can't, for instance, go digging in the trees and try to find a way to make your hr a tank and post builds on the forums about your great hr tank. (I didn't do this and I did make fun of someone that did.. but you can bet it was fun doing it (for everyone involved lol) Now you've basically got one path. Sharp posted a build already for the hr. I've been playing hr since 2015. I thought I'd not do the build and just read thru and try to make up something that made sense. it should have good results no matter what I do right? but it doesn't. I'm reading about other people who are having really good results with their hrs on preview. (yeah maybe there is something bugged in their kit I dunno) but it's looking to me like there is one good way to play it and that's probably outlined in sharps guide. That means every single hr is going to look just like me. Do about the same as me. We're going to be interchangable robots. While there have always been popular builds There were different builds for different things. that's all gone. we're being given one way to play or the highway.

Ah, yeah. I'm the one you made fun of...

Mind you, I normally don't have my HR in depleted-uranium-armor Abrams tank mode, but on live I currently have the option of doing so. It means swapping gear and runestones to a different companion (Sgt. Knox), swapping three other companions (keeping the chicken augment in place), and switching to Drowned weapons. I have Loyal Defender gear stored in reserve for such an occasion (and I'm still incensed that the very stat that is their reason for existence is being removed).

Think of it as "break glass in case of emergency" where a suit of DU armor is inside -- well, DU-covered leather in this case since it's for an HR. It's not something I do often, but it is something I've had to do from time to time. Up until Chult, it was in fact my normal configuration. Now we have no options, and that isn't fun at all.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • polaris1986polaris1986 Member Posts: 320 Arc User

Cant create a new fresh character 70 lvl with a token on test. on last step it write error with login server.

cant reroll Ability Scores, only choose racial bonus

Feedback main and secondery abilities were a good, and makes a different beetween classes and races. please don't remove it

"sometimes the world doesn't need another hero, sometimes what it needs is a monster"

• wemerywemery Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    with all our old Companion gear dumping in our packs i think we should get another bag slot or 2 to hold all our stuff ...Are our overflow bag will be to full at start of m16 :(((((((
    Post edited by wemery on
    wemery said:

with all our old Companion gear dumping in our backs i think we should get another bag slot or 2 to hold all our stuff ...Are our overflow bag will be to full at start of m16 :(((((((

Extra bank slots might be an easier sell.
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    Hey! When did scrolls of Life and Mass life start giving rezz sickness? :s Is this a bug? Was it in the patchnotes? If so I definitely missed that memo.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac

Hey! When did scrolls of Life and Mass life start giving rezz sickness? :s Is this a bug? Was it in the patchnotes? If so I definitely missed that memo.

You don't happen to have VIP on live, do you?
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    The Undermountain campaign content is interesting so far.
    Lots of new class mechanic bugs and imbalances, but clearly you are getting a tiny bit of feedback on those.

Regarding the Trade Bar store Fighter Mountaineer Weapon set...

"2 of 2: When you are 25' or closer to your target, your defense is increased by 5%.
    When you are farther then 25' from your target your power is increased by 5%."

Fighter's power is increased when you are not near any targets.

This is for the Fighter: A melee class with no ranged attacks.
    Think about that for a second.

[Combat (Self)]: Your "Harsh Language Shouted From a Distance" does 0 emotional damage to Umber Hulk.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • sephiz#1200 sephiz Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    @asterdahl
    Workshop broke! My rank 4 workshop is down to max 8 artisans therefore I can't recruit new ones. Also most are missing from the all tab in my desk.

• pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    Some general class feedback from me is that I feel the Paragon Paths have been given way, WAY too large of a footprint! It feels kinda pointless to even say it because I know that development is far beyond the point of no return on this, but it's crazy. Before, PPs dictated about 20% of your class, but now it's more like 75%. Expanding them some is fine, but this is ridiculous!

The 2 main problems are Encounters and Feats:
    - Encounters: Locking 5x2 Encounter powers behind PPs removes a lot of combinations for no good reason. Looking over things, it seemed like a lot of Encs got jammed into the different PPs just to fill the 5 needed, they don't even make sense there. It also segregates large amounts thematically and mechanically complimentary powers from one another for arbitrary reasons. PP being responsible for 3 Encs instead of 5 would be much more reasonable. To move 2 powers out of each PP into core though would require increasing the total amount of Encs available to each classes from 10 to 12.

- Feats: I didn't realize that ALL Feats would be locked behind PPs! Each class has 20 possible Feats, but only half of them are available on any given character/loadout. Having that much of the class isolated from itself is bizarre. 3 pairs per PP would have still been a huge increase, but to do that now you would have to move 2 pairs worth of Feats out of each PP into core and up the total available pairs of Feats to 7. Alternately, giving core 5 pairs of Feats with PP adding a 3rd option for each tier would be even better.

Again though, saying this all seems futile. This would require a significant tearing up and re-plotting of a lot of design work. On top of that, going into the decision making of what Powers/Feats would stay, go, or change may have been rather different if these approaches were intended from the start.

It's just disappointing. I was excited that I was finally going to get to play a "Wizard" instead of "Control Wizard", only to find out I don't get to play a Wizard, I get to play an "Arbiter" or a "Thaumaturge" instead. I guess it's not as bad for the dual-role characters chosen by PP, but... meh. We didn't even get Fireball. It kinda feels like a ripoff.
    pterias said:

Some general class feedback from me is that I feel the Paragon Paths have been given way, WAY too large of a footprint! It feels kinda pointless to even say it because I know that development is far beyond the point of no return on this, but it's crazy. Before, PPs dictated about 20% of your class, but now it's more like 75%. Expanding them some is fine, but this is ridiculous!

- Encounters: Locking 5x2 Encounter powers behind PPs removes a lot of combinations for no good reason. Looking over things, it seemed like a lot of Encs got jammed into the different PPs just to fill the 5 needed, they don't even make sense there. It also segregates large amounts thematically and mechanically complimentary powers from one another for arbitrary reasons. PP being responsible for 3 Encs instead of 5 would be much more reasonable. To move 2 powers out of each PP into core though would require increasing the total amount of Encs available to each classes from 10 to 12.

- Feats: I didn't realize that ALL Feats would be locked behind PPs! Each class has 20 possible Feats, but only half of them are available on any given character/loadout. Having that much of the class isolated from itself is bizarre. 3 pairs per PP would have still been a huge increase, but to do that now you would have to move 2 pairs worth of Feats out of each PP into core and up the total available pairs of Feats to 7. Alternately, giving core 5 pairs of Feats with PP adding a 3rd option for each tier would be even better.

Again though, saying this all seems futile. This would require a significant tearing up and re-plotting of a lot of design work. On top of that, going into the decision making of what Powers/Feats would stay, go, or change may have been rather different if these approaches were intended from the start.

It's just disappointing. I was excited that I was finally going to get to play a "Wizard" instead of "Control Wizard", only to find out I don't get to play a Wizard, I get to play an "Arbiter" or a "Thaumaturge" instead. I guess it's not as bad for the dual-role characters chosen by PP, but... meh. We didn't even get Fireball. It kinda feels like a ripoff.

The Fireball issue is just so jarring, because it would be pretty easy to implement. Use the same character animations as for Fiery Bolt and you've basically got it. I'm amazed that they never bothered to implement a Fireball spell by this point.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited March 2019

pterias said:

The Fireball issue is just so jarring, because it would be pretty easy to implement. Use the same character animations as for Fiery Bolt and you've basically got it. I'm amazed that they never bothered to implement a Fireball spell by this point.
    Except the lack of a fireball is not an issue and only people who are stuck in a fantasy pen and paper world and not those who realize they are first and foremost playing an mmo complain about it. Fireball is not even that great anyhow, a wizards utility spells were far stronger. I would rather have haste, chain contingency, time stop or any of those utility powers than something as banal as fireball if we were going off of the available choices in dnd.

pterias said:

Except the lack of a fireball is not an issue and only people who are stuck in a fantasy pen and paper world and not those who realize they are first and foremost playing an mmo complain about it. Fireball is not even that great anyhow, a wizards utility spells were far stronger. I would rather have haste, chain contingency, time stop or any of those utility powers than something as banal as fireball if we were going off of the available choices in dnd.
    Right, but Fireball would be super easy to implement. Haste would not be.

Now, if they had kept support, as a thing, I could see the following setup:

Elementalist/Evoker (what's now called "thaumaturge") uses Fireball, Lightning Bolt (Sudden Storm), and Cone of Cold (Icy Terrain) and is a DPS path with a bit more AOE than most other DPS paths.

Arcanist, then, is more heavily invested in control and support buffs like Haste. You could plausibly rename Steal Time Time Stop if you wanted, sure. Contingency/Chain Contingency don't really work mechanically in this format, so that's not really doable. But I agree, Wizards have some really interesting options in the lore that AREN'T just blaster stuff, so it would have been interesting to use them.

Basically, people want a Fireball spell, there's not a very good reason to say no because the game assets and game balance both allow for it.

• velahryn#7236 velahryn Member Posts: 31 Arc User

Except the lack of a fireball is not an issue and only people who are stuck in a fantasy pen and paper world and not those who realize they are first and foremost playing an mmo complain about it.

oooook

• silvertailsilvertail Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 97 Arc User
    Bug: The graphic slider's in options glitch and take everything down to min.
    Can not put anything higher then 70 under lvl in AH. makes it hard to search for higher lvl stuff.
    stealth is survival skills (and not tanking skills, that is really different)
    stealth is damage
    stealth is mobility
    stealth is everything
    everything is stealth
    Stealth make TR OP, but lack of stealth make TR useless.

Except the lack of a fireball is not an issue and only people who are stuck in a fantasy pen and paper world and not those who realize they are first and foremost playing an mmo complain about it.

oooook

Yeah, my main thought is that, people who are attracted to Neverwinter because it's D&D (which is, ONE IMAGINES, the purpose of Cryptic licensing the Neverwinter name even if the mechanics of the game have nothing to do with D&D) would like the game to "feel" like they're playing D&D in some sense.

The monsters go a long way to that-Beholders and Mind Flayers and other "product identity" type creatures that you don't see in other properties (at least not without name changes for legal reasons), but there's no reason we can't implement the things that can be implemented.

I mean, that's why the class names were changed-specifically GWF -> Barbarian after all.

But I guess Fab here doesn't care about that kind of thing, and wants to give people who do grief.
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    asterdahl said:

Are we going to get any updates to the Test Dummies?

Since the “opposing rolls” of monsters now scale to their level, we should be able to choose the level of the test dummies, against which to test overall output.

It would also be nice if there were an option for test dummies to fight back, so that we could test our defenses and healing.

We're working to get as many test dummies as we can into relevant zones. We have no plans to have damaging test dummies at the moment, but a more robust training type area is on our wishlist, that could feature things like that—that being said, it won't happen for Module 16, and I can't say when it will, but we would like to offer more options like this.
    Can you put a brazier/ campfire nearby like those in River District crypts? They deal a fixed % of health pre-mitigation if I remember.

Unrelated feedback

I would recommend having stat % values available in the tooltip or displayed. I understand that the "% value" isn't literally true most of the time, but it's much more difficult to grasp huge stat numbers.

Pre-mod16 people said "get to 60% Resistance Ignored" (then, 85%, then 100%) they did not reference the (equivalent) stat number. The stat number is bigger and harder to grasp / remember. I would recommend a tooltip like:

Critical Chance: "this % value is countered by your target's Crit Resistance. The result of (Critical Chance - Crit Resistance) is capped between 0% and 50%"

Armor Penetration: "this % value counters your target's Defense. The result of (Defense - Armor Penetration) is capped between 0% and 80%"