test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Magnitude: What it Means

rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
I've seen some people being confused by the whole "magnitude" thing and it's the new way of making things legible for players to compare powers.

In short, magnitude is a representation of an ability's strength relative to your weapon damage.

For you nerds out there, magnitude is the pseudo-replacement for Edgy's term "ability coefficient".

The exact way you'd compare it is:

Magnitude/100 * Weapon Damage

For example, if I have something that has a magnitude of 60...

(60/100) * Weapon Damage
(0.6) * Weapon Damage

This way, when a new player sees two powers, say one with 500 magnitude and 1000 magnitude, they can instantly recognize that the 1000 magnitude power does more damage.

Tagged:

Comments

• lordrhavinlordrhavin Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    In other words: magnitude 625 is just a fancy way to say "does 625% weapon damage"? Why then not add a percentage sign to the magnitude?
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

In other words: magnitude 625 is just a fancy way to say "does 625% weapon damage"? Why then not add a percentage sign to the magnitude?

6.25x weapon damage in that example, you need to divide by 100. 625% of weapon damage would be 6250 magnitude.

But yes, you got the idea.

I can't say why the devs just didn't write % of wpn dmg either, but maybe the notion was that the average NW player is scared by anything more abstract than addition or subtraction.