test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mod 16 stat overhaul a game killer?

Comments

• thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User

arcanjo86 said:

What about all the dc and lag...(not my pc) and all the things that are going wrong? Shouldn't they be fixed first and foremost?

i think its due to the amount of player that can use ecounters/dailypowers with same timers you use at-wills power clogging the server.
    If there is a problem on Cryptic's side, everyone will lag. That is mostly not the case, the recent ToO being an exception.
    I generally do not lag or DC, which means that Cryptics servers and the network close to Cryptic basically is OK.

The most common cause of lag and DCs is the network between you and Cryptic. That is easy to diagnose with ping and traceroute. You need to discuss network problems with your ISP and possibly switch ISP(if you can).

Another common source of lag is your PC. Make sure you have an updated graphics driver, that your PC is not running all sorts of junk software in the background, and make sure that your PC hardware is up to the task.

Cryptic is generally doing the job on their side(although there is the occasional incident), most causes for lag and DCs are the responsibility of the player to handle.
    instances wiht a lot of people doing stuff do seem to lag. I thought it was more just the disparity with where everyone is from. if you have someone in australia trying to sync up with someone in istanbull trying to sync up with someone in brazil trying to sync up with someone in england and america and etc etc.. it's not going to be running smoothly right
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User

arcanjo86 said:

What about all the dc and lag...(not my pc) and all the things that are going wrong? Shouldn't they be fixed first and foremost?

i think its due to the amount of player that can use ecounters/dailypowers with same timers you use at-wills power clogging the server.
    If there is a problem on Cryptic's side, everyone will lag. That is mostly not the case, the recent ToO being an exception.
    I generally do not lag or DC, which means that Cryptics servers and the network close to Cryptic basically is OK.

The most common cause of lag and DCs is the network between you and Cryptic. That is easy to diagnose with ping and traceroute. You need to discuss network problems with your ISP and possibly switch ISP(if you can).

Another common source of lag is your PC. Make sure you have an updated graphics driver, that your PC is not running all sorts of junk software in the background, and make sure that your PC hardware is up to the task.

Cryptic is generally doing the job on their side(although there is the occasional incident), most causes for lag and DCs are the responsibility of the player to handle.
    you noticed that the dc/lag during tales of old event was not player end it was cryptics, the same dc happened when they introduced barovian hunts instanced, its the same way tales of old instance event is, something wrong at cryptic because thoses fixes were done fast to stop the lag on tales of old.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    arcanjo86 said:

you noticed that the dc/lag during tales of old event was not player end it was cryptics, the same dc happened when they introduced barovian hunts instanced, its the same way tales of old instance event is, something wrong at cryptic because thoses fixes were done fast to stop the lag on tales of old.

The popularity of new events and new mods will cause high server traffic.
    However mentinmindmaker is still correct about this;

The typical latency of an Internet connection also varies depending on its type. Type could consist of any or all of the following; fiber optic, coaxial cable, phone lines (DSL), or satellite (wireless). Even with an Internet Service Provider (ISP) promising high speed fiber optics, they cannot control other ISPs they communicate through to reach the final destination. Most issues, in this area, have no quick fixes nor can they be controlled by the user or host company (Cryptic). -- Neverwinter Wiki
    wb-cenders.gif
  • vendoodvendood Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    This DC/lag discussion has gone somewhat off-topic, but since it is here, I'll toss this out.

- 'Server' or "Cryptic's own IP" problems, as said, tend to affect a wide portion of the player base at the same time
    - Certain problems (such as recent connection/log-in/mapserver difficulties), are likely server issues, but affect people differently because this is a coding/overload/intermittent issue. Some people will get in fine, many others will get blocked.
    - The majority of internet connection/dc/lag issues, as stated, occur between your IP and Cryptics IP, and are affected by weather, construction, net node problems, etc. You can usually (not always) spot these using a 'traceroute' to Cryptic's servers ( https://support.arcgames.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4657/~/performing-a-traceroute-(tracert) )

One issue that is typically not discussed, and is likely an issue at Cryptic, is usually referred to as the 'netcode' portion of the server/client code. This code is what actually packages up the data sent between your client and the server code, synchronizes it, error-checks etc, and modifies what you see on your client based on the feedback from the netcode.

I believe this netcode is a significant source of the various DCs, lags and most especially the frequent rubberbanding many of us regularly encounter in NW/STO. Either it is unusually sensitive to dropped packets or latency, or it has some other issue. I say this because I can have another computer running a game not 15 feet from me, using pretty much exactly the same internet connection; if we are both playing Cryptic games, we both get much the same connection issues. If we are playing different games, the Cryptic game can be laggy/rubberbandy/DCing, the other game is running smooth.

At times in the past, the connection to World of Tanks, or Eve Online, can be wonky for a week or two (or three), but then they usually get it straightened out. Cryptic has been pretty consistently laggy/rubberbanding/Server Not Responding/DCing for years now (though it does increase and decrease in frequency over time).
  • lldtlldt Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    Your solutions don't solve anything.

Up the cost of 1% recovery from 200 to 400 stat points...

This just makes Recovery stat subpar compared to other stats initially, but eventually, we'll have enough stat points for this to be a problem again.

Lifesteal: Decrease the Lifesteal severity from 100% base default down to 25%

This doesn't do anything at all. In group content, hitting for millions is common. Besides, with high enough LS chance, it doesn't really matter anyways.

• aganwayaganway Member Posts: 269 Arc User

None of us know what the new system will be like until we experience it first hand. I am not in favor of a lot of what I am reading about the new system. On the other hand, I was around for the Alpha testing and felt like I was playing a broken game back then. For those of you who were not with us for module 6, "Elemental Evil" saw the loss of 50% of the user base. Since then, the issues have been mostly repaired, but to address just some of the issues; new maps promised were just shuffled versions of Blackdagger Ruins, Helm's Hold, and Gauntlgrym. The only new map was Spinward Rise. All the dungeons were shutdown for "repairs" for an entire year. When they came back, several were still missing, and some still are to this day. The level cap was raised from 60 to 70, the grind to get to 70 could only be accomplished using the campaign. Sharandar had level 70 red caps one shotting the level 60 players. Life Steal and Regeneration was reworked and the new class of Oathbound Paladin arrived seriously over powered. They dominated PvP as they could not be killed. Gear Score replaced with Average Item Level. Enchantments and Artifact level caps got raised. The game was in such mess, I took roughly a six month vacation. Others never came back.

I plan to test play the new module 16 on preview next month. All 8 of my characters has finished Ravenloft. I plan to find out if they can still fight and survive in Barovia. If all my characters are dying in Barovia after beating it, then the system is broken. If I cannot play old content without having having support from other players, then there is something wrong. So I will hope for the best and prepare for the worst. But a "game killer" there is no such animal. You either play the game and enjoy it, or you don't. Players toss out in chat "this game is dead", no you are here playing it, therefore it is still functional. Regardless of how good or bad module 16 turns out to be, I will continue to play Neverwinter & Champions until Cryptic shuts their servers down.

Have fun! Hope to see you on preview next month.

I rage-quit for ages after mod 6 I was so upset. This feels like it will possibly affect people the same way. Some of us like to build our character to an end-ish point and start to feel like we have 'arrived' somewhere and instead of a constant struggle and development to reach far-flung standards, finally feel like we can relax and just enjoy the game from a well-earned vantage point. Changes like this can be dealt with and managed by a player no matter what level they are at at the time, and those of us who love Neverwinter will usually adjust, but the blowback for the devs is that people who are towards the end can often feel like something has been stolen from them, it can create resentment. There are players who get bored quickly and wish for new changes, but there are many others who like the familiarity of the character, build, role in group and gameplay and while they can change if necessary, they more or less like things to stay as they are after they have spent the time getting used to them and finessing everything, and when something is added to the game, it should be in addition to what is already there, not re-working everything else as well just for the sake of it. We put a lot of effort into designing our builds and playstyle, and do not take kindly to having the devs rip it all up and make us have to start from scratch again for no good reason.

My advice to the devs: If you MUST rip everything apart once again and re-work it all to 'balance' this game, do it ONE more time and then STOP doing it. After this has happened, when you add something new to the game make it genuinely new and do not start changing what is already there. Build new shiny things for players who get bored, but at the same time allow those who are experiencing a journey to have their progress and builds and hard work remain. STOP ripping it all apart and changing everything because you got it wrong the first time, get it RIGHT once and for all and then just stop doing this. I personally have been playing since before Icewind Dale came out on PC, I have seen you re-work and re-work and re-work things over and over and over, often making things worse and changing things which were not broken and you really should have got it right by now. I have only got so many 'totally new starts' left in me, I can maybe go one more major one before steam comes out of my ears and I possibly quit for good. I do not really like feeling like a mouse on a wheel running to nowhere being forever forced to go back to the drawing board through no fault of my own and start all over again, I like to arrive somewhere then enjoy it, as do many other people. So devvys, get it right please, then just stop ripping everything to bits because it wasn't right after all. Do your jobs and get the balance fundamentally right to begin with and stop seeing radical change like this as a selling point to keep the game fresh.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    aganway said:

None of us know what the new system will be like until we experience it first hand. I am not in favor of a lot of what I am reading about the new system. On the other hand, I was around for the Alpha testing and felt like I was playing a broken game back then. For those of you who were not with us for module 6, "Elemental Evil" saw the loss of 50% of the user base. Since then, the issues have been mostly repaired, but to address just some of the issues; new maps promised were just shuffled versions of Blackdagger Ruins, Helm's Hold, and Gauntlgrym. The only new map was Spinward Rise. All the dungeons were shutdown for "repairs" for an entire year. When they came back, several were still missing, and some still are to this day. The level cap was raised from 60 to 70, the grind to get to 70 could only be accomplished using the campaign. Sharandar had level 70 red caps one shotting the level 60 players. Life Steal and Regeneration was reworked and the new class of Oathbound Paladin arrived seriously over powered. They dominated PvP as they could not be killed. Gear Score replaced with Average Item Level. Enchantments and Artifact level caps got raised. The game was in such mess, I took roughly a six month vacation. Others never came back.

I plan to test play the new module 16 on preview next month. All 8 of my characters has finished Ravenloft. I plan to find out if they can still fight and survive in Barovia. If all my characters are dying in Barovia after beating it, then the system is broken. If I cannot play old content without having having support from other players, then there is something wrong. So I will hope for the best and prepare for the worst. But a "game killer" there is no such animal. You either play the game and enjoy it, or you don't. Players toss out in chat "this game is dead", no you are here playing it, therefore it is still functional. Regardless of how good or bad module 16 turns out to be, I will continue to play Neverwinter & Champions until Cryptic shuts their servers down.

Have fun! Hope to see you on preview next month.

I rage-quit for ages after mod 6 I was so upset. This feels like it will possibly affect people the same way. Some of us like to build our character to an end-ish point and start to feel like we have 'arrived' somewhere and instead of a constant struggle and development to reach far-flung standards, finally feel like we can relax and just enjoy the game from a well-earned vantage point. Changes like this can be dealt with and managed by a player no matter what level they are at at the time, and those of us who love Neverwinter will usually adjust, but the blowback for the devs is that people who are towards the end can often feel like something has been stolen from them, it can create resentment. There are players who get bored quickly and wish for new changes, but there are many others who like the familiarity of the character, build, role in group and gameplay and while they can change if necessary, they more or less like things to stay as they are after they have spent the time getting used to them and finessing everything, and when something is added to the game, it should be in addition to what is already there, not re-working everything else as well just for the sake of it. We put a lot of effort into designing our builds and playstyle, and do not take kindly to having the devs rip it all up and make us have to start from scratch again for no good reason.

My advice to the devs: If you MUST rip everything apart once again and re-work it all to 'balance' this game, do it ONE more time and then STOP doing it. After this has happened, when you add something new to the game make it genuinely new and do not start changing what is already there. Build new shiny things for players who get bored, but at the same time allow those who are experiencing a journey to have their progress and builds and hard work remain. STOP ripping it all apart and changing everything because you got it wrong the first time, get it RIGHT once and for all and then just stop doing this. I personally have been playing since before Icewind Dale came out on PC, I have seen you re-work and re-work and re-work things over and over and over, often making things worse and changing things which were not broken and you really should have got it right by now. I have only got so many 'totally new starts' left in me, I can maybe go one more major one before steam comes out of my ears and I possibly quit for good. I do not really like feeling like a mouse on a wheel running to nowhere being forever forced to go back to the drawing board through no fault of my own and start all over again, I like to arrive somewhere then enjoy it, as do many other people. So devvys, get it right please, then just stop ripping everything to bits because it wasn't right after all. Do your jobs and get the balance fundamentally right to begin with and stop seeing radical change like this as a selling point to keep the game fresh.
    unless they've honestly changed absolutely everything including mounts/comps/artifacts/enchants if you're honestly end game it shouldn't be too bad to climb back to the top. if everything is nerfed.. that is going to create some upset.
  • huijianhuijian Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    NONSENSE, I'm sure Mod16 will be huge with all the console kiddies, they will absolutely quit playing RDR2 and GTA5 and start playing Neverwinter, and buying zen, no doubt about it. In my calculations we can accurately project that mod16 will bring massive profits to cryptic.
  • theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    huijian said:

NONSENSE, I'm sure Mod16 will be huge with all the console kiddies, they will absolutely quit playing RDR2 and GTA5 and start playing Neverwinter, and buying zen, no doubt about it. In my calculations we can accurately project that mod16 will bring massive profits to cryptic.

Mod 16 is running Undermountain. Which is the main adventure module for this season of 5th edition.

The goal of Neverwinter isn't to actually directly be profitable (though that doesn't mean it isn't), it's to help establish D&D bran identity. That's why they're changing the class names. There's an ongoing relationship with WOTC and they have certain obligations as people using the D&D brand
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    aganway said:

This is a noble goal. To me, it sounds like this is something they are trying to do here. With the "opposed check" approach, they should be able to eliminate the need to ever do another reset like this in the future. Now, they also need to be mindful of not releasing a bunch of broken gear down the road like they've been doing. That was one of the things they tried to do with mod 6, obsolete some of the super-powered gear bonuses like High Vizier and High Prophet, but then they slowly fell right back into the same trap and worse.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    huijian said:

Let us all hope that it will be so! No income for Cryptic means no money to pay devs(nor operations) which means no updates to game and eventually means game shutdown.

There is nothing wrong with Cryptic making money, it _is_ a business.

I just hope that making money is not all it is about, I hope the development staff also are allowed to make decisions they see to be the best for the players. Long term a fun game is a requirement to keep players which are necessary to make money.
  • pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User

huijian said:

Mod 16 is running Undermountain. Which is the main adventure module for this season of 5th edition.

The goal of Neverwinter isn't to actually directly be profitable (though that doesn't mean it isn't), it's to help establish D&D bran identity. That's why they're changing the class names. There's an ongoing relationship with WOTC and they have certain obligations as people using the D&D brand
    Cryptic licenses the IP from Wizards of the Coast, they are not a subsidiary. So, yes, they have to at least break even if not make a profit. Perfect World also is coding other WotC IPs like Magic the Gathering so they might lump both in a pool as far as profits.

• kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    Neverwinter has to turn a profit or it will be cancelled - like any other MMO. Moreover, if it doesn't turn enough of a profit, the developers will be retasked to other more profitable work and NW will end up on life support like Champions Online. That said... you can bet Neverwinter it turning a handsome profit or else they wouldn't have invested in all the game system changes - instead they would have simply slung out another module in support of WotC's tabletop D&D releases and called it good. When you stop seeing major game changes, that's when you can start questioning the longevity of the game.
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    recovery problem: recovery gives recharge speed and action point gain + ability scores that give recharge speed and action point gain,

basicly removing recovery makes the recharge speed come from ability scores or enchantments(probably new ones) and ap gain from reinforced jewels kit, aggression insignias, artifacts and weaposn offhand power, these really needed a huge nerf to bring challenge to the game, because right know its complete mess of overpowered chars with huge powershare values, huge damge resistance value(shepherds devotion stacks), huge spams of daily powers(aa to always proc shepherds devotion)/encounter(4/5s cd values/buff powers.
  • cosmin996cosmin996 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    See Arch? This is why nobody takes you in any runs and you are not a good CW. You assume stuff. You don't research. And you come with conclusions to match the mass haters. Nothing original. First of all, recovery is not even getting removed. It will get replaced. And lifesteal was broken anyways. The reason the most people cry, are the endgamers that can no longer 1 shot bosses or be overpowered from getting buffed by others. This was not how the games were ment to be played. What's the point of the healing tree if everyone has lifesteal? What's the point of a tank if everyone wants his powershare and not the tank build. Oh, and lets not start about those broken GF dps. I love it when I go raq and get a GF "tank" and he dies constantly because he is a dps wannabe.
  • theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User

huijian said:

Cryptic licenses the IP from Wizards of the Coast, they are not a subsidiary. So, yes, they have to at least break even if not make a profit. Perfect World also is coding other WotC IPs like Magic the Gathering so they might lump both in a pool as far as profits.

Hmmm.

Eh, you're probably right and I just had it backwards-Cryptic can probably just shut the whole thing down whenever they want, since they pay for the license not the other way around.
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User

huijian said:

WoTC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Hasbro - based in Rhode Island, USA.

Cryptic is a wholly owned subsidiary of Perfect World Entertainment, which in turn is owned by Perfect Peony Holding Co. - based in Beijing, China (thank you Wikipedia).

Which means NWN stands or falls based on the net $$$ it makes for Cryptic's owner in China, not on how much it helps WoTC, or not.
  • akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    Yes and no. WOTC definitely does have a say in it. This is why some modules seem very rushed as due the licensing agreement with WOTC certain modules have to be released to coincide with the release of the DND 5E book content. While this was explicitly stated it was hinted at and seemed to line up with the releases of Chult of Barovia alongside the content coming from the WOTC dnd department.
  • aerhythia#3255 aerhythia Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    It's not a game killer per se, personally I wouldn't like having longer recharge speed, less AP gain, much less critical chance, less movement speed, no life steal and enemy stats negating players offensive stats. A game like that would basically be a worse version of current Neverwinter. It all depends on the severity of changes.

• ragequittingdc#8599 ragequittingdc Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    I'm glad to see these changes, nw needs the dynamic. as others have said, these bis speed run groups are boring. no chance to enjoy the scenery or grab free rp and gold people just want you to smash/buff as fast as possible then proc your speed boosts and race to the boss then loot chests fast too lol.

now it's unfortunate about the big orange numbers, I love to see them myself, and I get that there are people that have limited play time only, but I don't think the game should be centered around their play style, it's unironically "toxic". dungeons and dragons, not need for speed please. I do wonder about lifesteal though. will the new stats be justifiable in their replacing of survivability as a player who likes to solo dungeons? maybe if these changes increase the value of different companion choices and their gear.
    im actually the gwf carry
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    akemnos said:

Yes and no. WOTC definitely does have a say in it. This is why some modules seem very rushed as due the licensing agreement with WOTC certain modules have to be released to coincide with the release of the DND 5E book content. While this was explicitly stated it was hinted at and seemed to line up with the releases of Chult of Barovia alongside the content coming from the WOTC dnd department.

Curse of Strahd PnP book:March 15, 2016
    http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/curse-strahd

Neverwinter Ravenloft release: June 26, 2018
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/10894884
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • ghordloghordlo Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    i literally logged to forums to make thread about lifesteal and recovery, like for real i joined neverwinter on 2014 (i left for a couple of years coz they never did good updates no mods everything was hard back then and i came few weeks ago and i liked neverwinter more than ever) Anyways, at first i played (Trickster rogue, wizard, warlock, gwf) to try all of them and see whos best and liked gwf bcz of lifesteal and after i got tired on gwf char they want to remove lifesteal, tbh fk this if they remove it im leaving
    arcanjo86 said:

recovery problem: recovery gives recharge speed and action point gain + ability scores that give recharge speed and action point gain,

basicly removing recovery makes the recharge speed come from ability scores or enchantments(probably new ones) and ap gain from reinforced jewels kit, aggression insignias, artifacts and weaposn offhand power, these really needed a huge nerf to bring challenge to the game, because right know its complete mess of overpowered chars with huge powershare values, huge damge resistance value(shepherds devotion stacks), huge spams of daily powers(aa to always proc shepherds devotion)/encounter(4/5s cd values/buff powers.

As far as I knew, Recovery did not affect action points (your daily) it only ever affected encounter recharges. If someone wants to prove me wrong I'm happy, but this is what I always knew to be true. Recovery only affects encounter cooldowns, not the action point jewel.
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    aganway said:

arcanjo86 said:

As far as I knew, Recovery did not affect action points (your daily) it only ever affected encounter recharges. If someone wants to prove me wrong I'm happy, but this is what I always knew to be true. Recovery only affects encounter cooldowns, not the action point jewel.
    proved you wrong :)
    *contributes to recharge speed and action point gain and it also pushes you daily significant by sure.
    That´s why the combination from dragon artifact a powerbuffer and insignia boni like Artificers persuation are considered to be "disbalancing", buffing your recovery for 25k+ same as AP gain for 50%+ in my case (selfbuffed !).
    Powerbuffs combined with Shepard is also broken since ages bc you can push deflect, defense, stamina gain and movement through the roof every few seconds as a DC, completely broken..completely
    "Glad to be of assistence..."
    Post edited by schietindebux on
    i have no idea who the f that is or if they know what they are talking about. i would prefer something official.
  • croixxcroixx Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    I've been on test last night and earlier this morning. The new system is very different, or worlds different then whats going on now on live. This is the early stages for mod 16 on preview and changes will be made. For those that are thinking about abandoning nwo, stick it out and at least see what gets launched when it goes live. Right now they are testing the waters with preview to see whats what. Obviously the direction this mod is going is to encourage more cooperative and engaging gameplay that isn't dependent on cookie cutter, bis, number crunching dps snobs. Will take skill, time, and commitment to complete endgame content as it should. Its coming......
  • escapados2escapados2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 64 Arc User
    Totally agree with @ilithyn.
    Tried Prewiev, and game has completly different playstyle and mechanics comparing to all previous years of it. And it seems even more unbalanced than before.
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    croixx said:

I've been on test last night and earlier this morning. The new system is very different, or worlds different then whats going on now on live. This is the early stages for mod 16 on preview and changes will be made. For those that are thinking about abandoning nwo, stick it out and at least see what gets launched when it goes live. Right now they are testing the waters with preview to see whats what. Obviously the direction this mod is going is to encourage more cooperative and engaging gameplay that isn't dependent on cookie cutter, bis, number crunching dps snobs. Will take skill, time, and commitment to complete endgame content as it should. Its coming......

Don't know that I'll have time to re-learn the game from scratch. And I'm not a fan of all the equipment they are discarding. What is it that they are doing to our companions, anyway??