test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Boon Revamp

Comments

• rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    i want to see how each campaing gate the boons now, is to vague now... have to wait to see on preview
  • rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User

rafaelda said:

So looks like now the only way to get more powerful boons is to Run places i've ignored like AI and SKT...

I'm trying to be positive but it get harder with each post...
    I hope i'm wrong but from what i got it will be even more weird for new players...
    also hope we dont get a boon weekly haul to block our advance...

i was working on SKT on my main getting "Renome" for last boons and Voninblood for the last 2 but now i will wait for preview get updated...

Requiring that you do ALL campaigns to reach the highest level of power seems fair to me.
    Thats a funny concept since i,ve got the "highest level" of boons at least 5 times before STK... But what you said also made me wander how will the boon tree evolve in MOd 17, 18 ?
    have to see the way they gated those boons to each campaing to see if we can figure the next "step"...

so many questions, hope the preview version is not delayed...
  • Looks ok on the surface, will wait and see it live.

1) The UI could do with a little work, a small progress bar on the left by the numbers to help indicate you need to "fill up" to open a tier. (Hopefully the locked tiers are "ghosted" as well)

2) "choose 2" without the explanation this is unclear (should be choose 2 boons). Hopefully they be decent boons, cause I'd rather have have 1-2/8 in everything if they are 'does random stuff randomly'.

3) Current system has points boon points locked behind out of date books (Dragon, Under dark), hopefully this is gone and dead as you can complete a campaign (boxes full) but points locked from some random book
  • mdarkangel#4696 mdarkangel Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    Overall, I like it. Whether or not they'll all be good as we progress, is left to be seen.

What I don't get, where is everyone coming up with 60 points to unlock Master Boons? It only says you gain points to spend on Master Boons as you spend points in the lower tiers and those are bonus points separate from the normal boon points. That could be every 5, 10, or 20. We don't know, they didn't tell us. Someone else said only one Master Boon, no, you fill one at a time. That tells me I once I fill one I can pick another and work on filling it. Again we don't know how often we get those bonus points or how many we'll end up with, they didn't tell us.

My main concern is the Tier 5 boons. Only being able to choose two, will either limit what they can do in the future, or cause us to retrain more often as they add new boons to it in the future. Most likely the latter.

Another concern is how a point system like this will affect stronghold boons, or if this will even affect stronghold boons at all.

March 1st can't get here soon enough.
  • akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    The 60 came from the screen shot. In the lower left corner it states next master boon at 60 points spent. What I unclear is if the master boon row is active or not. Looks to be so I speculated that maybe they already have one and haven't spent it yet. Otherwise its the first one at 60 points.

Also for Master Tier in the description is specifically says "Master boons are limited to one." and the screen shots say Choose One which is the same format of Tier 5. So it would have the same restriction in that you can only ever get one master tier boon.
  • mdarkangel#4696 mdarkangel Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    > @akemnos said:
    > The 60 came from the screen shot. In the lower left corner it states next master boon at 60 points spent.

Ok, looked at that image half a dozen times, never saw that. Thank you. Doesn't mean you need 60, just that you get the next one at 60. Maybe they haven't spent any yet.

> @akemnos said:
    > Also for Master Tier in the description is specifically says "Master boons are limited to one." and the screen shots say Choose One which is the same format of Tier 5. So it would have the same restriction in that you can only ever get one master tier boon.

Full quote from the description, "Master boons are limited to one. Which means that you can invest points in one at a time." So, which is it, one or one at a time. Confusing to say the least.

As I said before, March 1st can't get here soon enough.
  • sgtpostal#4408 sgtpostal Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    akemnos said:

The 60 came from the screen shot. In the lower left corner it states next master boon at 60 points spent. What I unclear is if the master boon row is active or not. Looks to be so I speculated that maybe they already have one and haven't spent it yet. Otherwise its the first one at 60 points.

Also for Master Tier in the description is specifically says "Master boons are limited to one." and the screen shots say Choose One which is the same format of Tier 5. So it would have the same restriction in that you can only ever get one master tier boon.

makes sense ya but wht abt cases like skt ot wod where the teir 5 boon if fully completed u got 3 of em.... kinda loose there lookin like to me bc of the current boons an cmpns that u can pick 3 on the final row (or 2 in few cases) popcorn eating an movie watchin the plot unfold tho so heres to a happy endin lol

• akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    not every feat looks to be ported over. If you look at the new feat window than you can go through and identify the icons based on the current feats. However that said not everything is included there. some of the top boons from some campaigns are not included. There are also things like the rousing warmth icon in the first slot of the all 4 of the lower tiers.
  • scntyboy#8080 scntyboy Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Was wondering if anyone else noted this. If you can get ALL the boons under this new mod, you only get 41/42 total. Right now I have multiple toons who are maxed with 62/63. I'm kinda curious which 20+boons they took away
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User

Was wondering if anyone else noted this. If you can get ALL the boons under this new mod, you only get 41/42 total. Right now I have multiple toons who are maxed with 62/63. I'm kinda curious which 20+boons they took away

all the best ones I'm sure :)

• majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User

If the iconography sticks with our current boons, it looks like the lower boons were either axed or incorporated/merged with others. At first glance, any boons that supported Lifesteal, Recovery or AP gain got the axe. Makes sense for those, I guess. Looks like the EE boons were axed completely. Might have been merged with others. Others with duplicate effects like Burning guidance and healing warmth, I suspect were merged since it has four slots available. That really makes sense. Some of the boons I couldn't make out and I'm thinking they might be tied to the new campaign. Now that's just a Mk I Eyeball. Will have to see the descriptions to see what has changed. Potion drinking boons are safe though. *smh*
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • gripnir78gripnir78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 374 Arc User

Just guessing here but I doubt you gona see much of those you are familiar with. Check yourself how many current boons wont be relevenat any more (regenaration, lifesteal,recovery) add few no1 ever choose, and you got it.
    Then check how many times in different campaigns you could choose "power" boon for example - few times - what if it is now cumulated to one boon with multiple choices? Same with defence etc.
    It could end up that we gone have more boon types that we already have.

However, unless all new boons gona be good/relevant to the point its gona be hard to choose from them, its gona end up in a meta choice for either dps/tank/healer and it will work pretty much like it is now - you choose once, and rarely make any adjustments in old boons with concern only what to choose from a new campaign as you progress it (or in a new system how to spend newly acquired points).
  • soulaeterrsoulaeterr Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    so rather than 1 big boon for every campain we re only gonne get one overall?? or...
  • gripnir78gripnir78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 374 Arc User
    @soulaeterr hard to tell.... really if MOD 16 will hit preview within next 24 hours as expected then we will find out
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    > @gripnir78 said:
    > Was wondering if anyone else noted this. If you can get ALL the boons under this new mod, you only get 41/42 total. Right now I have multiple toons who are maxed with 62/63. I'm kinda curious which 20+boons they took away
    >
    > Just guessing here but I doubt you gona see much of those you are familiar with. Check yourself how many current boons wont be relevenat any more (regenaration, lifesteal,recovery) add few no1 ever choose, and you got it.
    > Then check how many times in different campaigns you could choose "power" boon for example - few times - what if it is now cumulated to one boon with multiple choices? Same with defence etc.
    > It could end up that we gone have more boon types that we already have.
    >
    > However, unless all new boons gona be good/relevant to the point its gona be hard to choose from them, its gona end up in a meta choice for either dps/tank/healer and it will work pretty much like it is now - you choose once, and rarely make any adjustments in old boons with concern only what to choose from a new campaign as you progress it (or in a new system how to spend newly acquired points).

I always chose regeneration lifesteal and recovery boons ๐Ÿ˜‘
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • beigeman#7856 beigeman Member Posts: 49 Arc User

also.. surely the boons will have to cater for healers. tanks and dps.. so maybe 15 based on defence, 15 on dps and then 12 on other stuff... doesn't that limit role specific choices even more ?
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    LOL. Boy was I off. Looks like all new boons.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Seems the AI boons survived. All tier 1.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • havlockehavlocke Member Posts: 222 Arc User

rafaelda said:

So looks like now the only way to get more powerful boons is to Run places i've ignored like AI and SKT...

I'm trying to be positive but it get harder with each post...
    I hope i'm wrong but from what i got it will be even more weird for new players...
    also hope we dont get a boon weekly haul to block our advance...

i was working on SKT on my main getting "Renome" for last boons and Voninblood for the last 2 but now i will wait for preview get updated...

Requiring that you do ALL campaigns to reach the highest level of power seems fair to me.
    Agreed. It is also how things currently work.

I don't know what the fuss is all about. If you want all the boons you do all the campaigns. THIS IS HOW IT CURRENTLY WORKS. All these people who are talking about skipping SKT, this means you are missing out on the SKT boons right? So if you skip out on it in the new system, you will miss out on some stuff again. Which seems fair.

I LOVE this new system. It takes the rats nest that is the current boon system and it puts it into one simple page. Every time you do stuff in a campaign, you get boon points. You then spend said boon points on whatever you like - within the new mechanic. How is this not better???
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    As they say a picture is worth a 1,000 boon points...

As you can see, at the bottom you need 10 points to get the the next tier, the first tier has cultist boons, the second is demonic, the third is dino, and and the fourth is undead. There are "Master boons" at the top row. Campaigns now give boon tokens.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

> @gripnir78 said:

> Was wondering if anyone else noted this. If you can get ALL the boons under this new mod, you only get 41/42 total. Right now I have multiple toons who are maxed with 62/63. I'm kinda curious which 20+boons they took away

>

> Just guessing here but I doubt you gona see much of those you are familiar with. Check yourself how many current boons wont be relevenat any more (regenaration, lifesteal,recovery) add few no1 ever choose, and you got it.

> Then check how many times in different campaigns you could choose "power" boon for example - few times - what if it is now cumulated to one boon with multiple choices? Same with defence etc.

>

> However, unless all new boons gona be good/relevant to the point its gona be hard to choose from them, its gona end up in a meta choice for either dps/tank/healer and it will work pretty much like it is now - you choose once, and rarely make any adjustments in old boons with concern only what to choose from a new campaign as you progress it (or in a new system how to spend newly acquired points).

Is that the sound of a free respect I hear backing up?

> @gripnir78 said:

>

>

LOL, its a completely new game, there wont be any need to re-spec, cuz its more a re-build of your toon.
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    After a few hit and miss attempts at accessing on Preview today - I think the one clear message for me on the issue of M16 Boon revamp is this:

Until M16 drops - focus all energies on earning boons for your main/alts. If you haven't earned every possible boon yet (including for AI) do as many as you can in whatever time remains before the go live date.

After a few hit and miss attempts at accessing on Preview today - I think the one clear message for me on the issue of M16 Boon revamp is this:

Until M16 drops - focus all energies on earning boons for your main/alts. If you haven't earned every possible boon yet (including for AI) do as many as you can in whatever time remains before the go live date.

Why? I mean, its a good idea anyways certainly. But why would it matter? Seriously, am I just misreading this entire section?? If you do a campaign thing, you get a boon point. Nothing is going to change in how stupid how some of those campaigns actually are. Regardless of when you do them. Did they say they are removing or changing the campaigns themselves, did I miss that?
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    As long as I don't have to re-grind anything for boons on my main, I'm good with it. Otherwise I'll quit. After levelling 7 toons over the years I never ever want to do it again.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • nathanjmnathanjm Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    Why is it a good idea to grind boons before mod16 hits? Answer: last time there was a level cap increase, some boon areas jumped in enemy level. In mod5, Sharandar, Dreadring, IWD were all level 60 (by enemy level) zones. If you could make progress during mod5, great. Day 1 of mod6, Sharandar was level 64-68, DR/IWD was L70.

A competent L60 fresh out of mod5 would -- almost certainly -- get ripped to shreds in the L66+ zones of mod6. It was a BIG win to get those boons ground out before mod6 hit if you could do so.
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User

> @gripnir78 said:

>

>

It's going to take several respecs to figure this out.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    nathanjm said:

Why is it a good idea to grind boons before mod16 hits? Answer: last time there was a level cap increase, some boon areas jumped in enemy level. In mod5, Sharandar, Dreadring, IWD were all level 60 (by enemy level) zones. If you could make progress during mod5, great. Day 1 of mod6, Sharandar was level 64-68, DR/IWD was L70.

A competent L60 fresh out of mod5 would -- almost certainly -- get ripped to shreds in the L66+ zones of mod6. It was a BIG win to get those boons ground out before mod6 hit if you could do so.

Because the way many classes are in mod 16, it's going to make grinding much more tedious and slower.
    nathanjm said:

Ah ok, that's good. That makes sense then. Do it now while its probably easier. This is more to do with the level cap increase than the change in boon system but I get it.
  • kharkov58kharkov58 Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    Why are creature type specific boons considered so great?