test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Developer Blog: Cleric Changes

Starting a discussion thread for the new cleric blog changes. IDK, seems fine, frankly it is just a different way to rotate powers and such. If they were actually serious about changing how spell energy is aquired what they would do is look at each spell casting class and change each one. The cleric is divine, the Wizard is limited by intelligence, the Warlock limited by his pack (opposite of divine, demonic).

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/11100633?fbclid=IwAR3VsgKvl_kyLkplbroTToSFWhjf2ST-1qfZgBEq1BEKACuyGxKTH457zC0

Reposted:

Cleric will undergo dramatic changes in Undermountain. If you haven’t already, take a look at the introduction to classes developer blog which discusses the class changes overall as well as high level adjustments to healing and tanking. This post will discuss the upcoming changes to cleric in detail.

With the release of the expansion various changes throughout the game will make healing more significant than ever. Changes to cleric will refocus the class on its original core concept: a powerful healer who keeps their party alive with divine magic.

By far the largest change comes in the form of a complete rework of the divinity resource. Astral Change is gone, as is the entire concept of divine and empowered versions of powers. Divinity is now a straightforward pool of divine magic which you will rely on to cast many of your encounter powers.

Encounter powers that are straightforward healing and damaging spells like Bastion of Health and Daunting Light will now cost divinity to cast. Encounter powers which cost divinity will have no cooldown and can be cast consecutively, but cannot be cast if you have run out of divinity. Divinity regenerates naturally over time, regenerating more quickly out of combat or when the cleric uses the new class mechanic Channel Divinity to pray to their deity.

With healing spells linked to divinity instead of relying on simple cooldowns, healing will become more flexible and more active. Dungeons and trials have been rebalanced so that enemy attacks will be less deadly, meaning there’s more of an opportunity to react to damage and heal. You can make up for mistakes by spending extra divinity to heal more, but be careful not to run out.

Clerics can select one of their two reworked paragon paths to specialize in healing and play as the Devout. When compared with other healers like the oathkeeper paladin and the soulweaver warlock, the devout relies on straightforward powerful heals, heal over time effects, and effective divinity management.

The cleric’s second reworked paragon path allows them to play as the Arbiter. Arbiters are instruments of divine retribution who seek out and dispatch evil in the name of their god or goddess. For the first time, clerics will be able to queue as a dedicated DPS by playing as an arbiter.

Arbiters focus on providing complex gameplay with deep damage dealing rotations based on the shifting scales of their deity’s judgement. By switching between spells that deal radiant damage and spells that deal fire damage, arbiters can unleash devastating holy fire on their enemies.

New spells like the daily Celestial Prominence will allow the arbiter to summon a mote of concentrated astral energy at a location, detonating it immediately to deal damage to nearby enemies or allowing it to grow in strength first before unleashing its full potential. The arbiter will rely on setup and execution while providing utility for their party that should satisfy clerics who enjoy the current, damage and party-enhancing focused cleric meta.

Hopefully you’re as excited as I am for you to try out the big changes coming to cleric! Neverwinter: Undermountain will be coming to our preview shard on March 1, so look forward to more information in the coming weeks, and preview the changes yourself if you have the time. See you on the Sword Coast!

Asterdahl
Systems Designer

Comments

• lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User
    Looks fine. Certainly no worse than the Mod... 5? 7? change? The one that swapped in to the current setup. I still miss the days when Forgemaster's Flame was the best healing power in the game.

I'm less interested in the healing and more in what they do *other than* healing, though. Part of that is years of "and I also heal some" being the meta, and part of that is, well, OK, sure, I'll be a healbot, but what ELSE do I get to do?
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    So it sounds like we can heal, or we can dps/buff? So we cant heal/buff..

I dont know.. I dont know about the whole praying in combat.. gaweddddd. evil evil evil thoughts of everquest and starting at a page of a book to get mana back..

• c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    Possibly Healing @ bosses and DPS @ mobs.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    im excited for those changes, please release preview already im starving for testing all out @nitocris83 PLEASE =)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)
  • cherryman1cherryman1 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    The fact they are highlighting a dps skill for the healing path probably means we also do damage now when we don't need to heal.
    Guild Leader: Under the Influence
    Yule (Barb): 72k : Siren (TR): 78k : Torun (DC): 73k : Siren OP (OP): 76k : Siren SW (SW): 78k : Modern (F): 80k : Cherry1 (CW) : 68k Siren HR (HR): 78k
  • tgwolftgwolf Member Posts: 501 Arc User

The fact they are highlighting a dps skill for the healing path probably means we also do damage now when we don't need to heal.

Dealing damage in Devout is about as effective as a 2 y.o calling you a "poopyhead". It's just enough to eventually take out basic mobs solo but not much beyond that.
  • cherryman1cherryman1 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    tgwolf said:

Dealing damage in Devout is about as effective as a 2 y.o calling you a "poopyhead". It's just enough to eventually take out basic mobs solo but not much beyond that.
    I don't know since I haven't been in game to test it. But the other things we do other than healing will be what people look for when they invite players to the party. All healing classes I expect to be able to heal. The thing in the past that allowed you to be sought out after for a party was what else did you bring to the party or group with your class. I haven't read anything about buffs until now that the dps side of the cleric gets. This must mean that to make sure which class of healer is wanted the most will come down to which can do the most damage (unless we still have buffs and they didn't mention them). If it is negligible then any class will be added. If it is a large amount then you will see some discrimination in class wants in the game. All of the other MMOs that are heals based have this issue right now. The same will be said about DPS classes. The one that does the most and consistently the most will be requested for parties. The one that does the least will be less likely to get into them. Right now there is just a new best class roulette that is happening with this update.
    Guild Leader: Under the Influence
    Yule (Barb): 72k : Siren (TR): 78k : Torun (DC): 73k : Siren OP (OP): 76k : Siren SW (SW): 78k : Modern (F): 80k : Cherry1 (CW) : 68k Siren HR (HR): 78k
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    This looks interesting. Dangit! Can't this game patch any faster?!?
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Glad they went away from that stupid empowered bullcrap. Was non-fun spamming 3 divine powers to unload your encounter every moment.

Feel like a robot when playing DC.
  • ragequittingdc#8599 ragequittingdc Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    .> @cherryman1 said:
    > The fact they are highlighting a dps skill for the healing path probably means we also do damage now when we don't need to heal.
    >
    > Dealing damage in Devout is about as effective as a 2 y.o calling you a "poopyhead". It's just enough to eventually take out basic mobs solo but not much beyond that.
    >
    > I don't know since I haven't been in game to test it. But the other things we do other than healing will be what people look for when they invite players to the party. All healing classes I expect to be able to heal. The thing in the past that allowed you to be sought out after for a party was what else did you bring to the party or group with your class. I haven't read anything about buffs until now that the dps side of the cleric gets. This must mean that to make sure which class of healer is wanted the most will come down to which can do the most damage (unless we still have buffs and they didn't mention them). If it is negligible then any class will be added. If it is a large amount then you will see some discrimination in class wants in the game. All of the other MMOs that are heals based have this issue right now. The same will be said about DPS classes. The one that does the most and consistently the most will be requested for parties. The one that does the least will be less likely to get into them. Right now there is just a new best class roulette that is happening with this update.

if it's anything like ffxiv, and it really is looking like it now with the new blogs, people will want healers that put out as much dps as possible but healers will still be too important to pass up on except by the most exclusive top percentile players, but they already have premades set up anyway. also it benefits most to bring variety dps for specific powers, but we'll have to see if nw devs also head that direction, and this is one of the biggest out there with healing being a staple in end game.
    im actually the gwf carry
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    tgwolf said:

Have you ever been called a poopy-head by a 2 year old? If the devs measured damage in adorable-ness....that right there is a BIS/ OP power, sir.
  • aerhythia#3255 aerhythia Member Posts: 173 Arc User

The first paragraphs are about both paragons, only mentioning the healer paragon specifically because of the "refocus".