test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mod 16 stat overhaul a game killer?

zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
edited February 2019 in General Discussion (PC)
Mod 16 (in work) proposes to create stats and anti-stats. In addition, it will remove Recovery and Lifesteal. IMO, the resultant system is a game killer, so I am writing this to explain. I don't want my favorite MMO to go down into a black hole. There are 3 big elements to the change:

1) Recovery removed. First, I'd like to point out Recovery is a stat seen in few other games. It adds character to the stat system. You cannot find a guide telling you how much Recovery to have because the optimal amount is unique to each build and playstyle. The developers want to eliminate the guesswork required when downscaling stats to lower level dungeons or hard modes. They are creating a system that supposedly wont need rebalance as players gain more and more 'stats' from future mods. Recovery doesn't fit this model. We cant have everyone running around five years from now with 1 second encounter times. In addition, the developers have stated that action gain is already way too high.

2) Lifesteal removed. Development wants to remove Lifesteal because it provides such a massive healing amount that players with lifesteal are either 100% health... or are dead.

3) An anti-stat added for Critical and for Deflect, similar to the way Armor Penetration works today against defense. On the surface this sound pretty cool,.. more variety and counters that might revitalize PvP. Let's look deeper for a moment:

All of our stats in PvE are 'positive' effect stats. Even armor penetration is a positive effect stat because we know how much defense the enemy has for us to penetrate. In PvP... armor penetration acts as an anti-stat to defense. You never know if an enemy is packing AP.. or how much. Not only that, AP is cheap as dirt at 100 stat points to eliminate 400 stat points of defense. This leads to defense being worthless in PvP except for a super-tank. The problem with Anti-stats is that it devalues the stat it works against. Critical, deflect, defense, and their counters are a total gamble... they might not add anything at all to your power. Because of this, players will put their stat points into Health and Power, because no matter what your enemies stats are, you will gain from having more health and more power.

My suggestions for solving the developer's problems without introducing stat negation:
1) Recovery: Up the cost of 1% recovery from 200 to 400 stat points. Reduce the AP gain per 1% recovery from .5% down to .25%.
2) Lifesteal: Decrease the Lifesteal severity from 100% base default down to 25% base default. This makes it so that if you successfully lifesteal on a hit which deals 200,000 damage, you will gain 50,000 healing instead of 200,000 healing.
3) Accuracy & Critical Resistance: Introduce these as secondary stats, softcapped like IHB, control, control resist, stamina gain, etc. This will add flavor to the game, and adds only a limited 'gamble range'. Players may want to bring their crit up a little over 100%.
4) Armor Penetration: In PvP, armor penetration should be reduced to 20% effect, but work off of the capped defense number...

PvP example) A player with 16,000 Armor Penetration points versus a player with 48,000 defense. In our system this would be 160% AP versus 120% Defense (capped at 80%) The defender would resist 120% - 160% = No damage resisted. Using a 20% versus the cap system... the defender would have 80% defense minus 20% armor penetration = 60% of the damage resisted.

In summary, I believe the new stat system will be 'vanilla' and lack any 'character'. It will not matter to players what stats they have and dont have, aside from the fact that Health and Power will be valued slightly more than the others. Players will raise their stats evenly to match the monster stats they are fighting in PvE. No choice, no room for uniqueness. In PvP, players will stack their defense into one attribute and their offense into as much power as they can.

About me: I have played Neverwinter for one year. It took 8 months to bring my first character, a GWF to endgame. Once there I decided I liked an encounter-based build even though the meta was At-Will spamming. I decided to trash that character and created a CW which did what I liked.. it was encounter heavy. Ive been playing my CW for 4 months and am reaching end-game. Thousands of dollars and thousands of hours invested so far. I've logged almost 20,000 hours playing GuildWars, Uncharted Waters Online, World of Warships, and now Neverwinter.
Post edited by zimxero#8085 on

Comments

• ragnarz2ragnarz2 Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    The concept isn't the game killer. TBH, we could use something to freshen up a stale and boring game. The people doing the development will kill the game if they hold true to form. If you can not get an integer counter right the first time (let alone the 10th time you try to fix it) you might be in the wrong line of work.
  • nightelven#9514 nightelven Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    What about all the dc and lag...(not my pc) and all the things that are going wrong? Shouldn't they be fixed first and foremost?
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

I have to say, I strongly disagree with the stats change being a game killer ...

At the end of Mod 15 here Most of my characters are sitting at 100% crit, 100% armor pen and 100% recovery. Lifesteal chances of 15-20% and some add on deflect of 100% when in combat. So the question is .... where do I go from here? All I can really do is add more power and crit severity and hit points. Even TONG has ceased to be a challenge and really the only way I die is when one shotted because the tank lost agro or I did something foolish. The game is stagnant and has been for a couple of modules now.

For true BiS/Endgame players that is very true. But what % of game players are in your situation?

I do agree that the game is very stagnant though, good point

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    Any of the new changes will not be a game killer. They will 'kill' some players (as they may leave) who cannot deal with the change though. However, the game itself will stay and attract new players who know nothing or care about the history such as life steal and recovery. Game goes on.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

Any of the new changes will not be a game killer. They will 'kill' some players (as they may leave) who cannot deal with the change though. However, the game itself will stay and attract new players who know nothing or care about the history such as life steal and recovery. Game goes on.

Great post. I joined after Mod 6. And I cant see what all the fuss is/was about.

I was here when they introduced the Rank 14 Bondings and the outrage over that. Didnt affect me or my enjoyment.

I have reverted to enjoying the free to play game and slowly bringing a GWF through the old content.
  • kiraskytowerkiraskytower Member Posts: 455 Arc User

I have to say, I strongly disagree with the stats change being a game killer ...

At the end of Mod 15 here Most of my characters are sitting at 100% crit, 100% armor pen and 100% recovery. Lifesteal chances of 15-20% and some add on deflect of 100% when in combat. So the question is .... where do I go from here? All I can really do is add more power and crit severity and hit points. Even TONG has ceased to be a challenge and really the only way I die is when one shotted because the tank lost agro or I did something foolish. The game is stagnant and has been for a couple of modules now.

For true BiS/Endgame players that is very true. But what % of game players are in your situation?

I do agree that the game is very stagnant though, good point

It's basically true for anyone over about 15-16K. By then you have topped out the major stats (or should have) and are really just adding power. Not everyone is there yet, but everyone is working towards this. So if the Devs don't revise the system, how will they come out with new and more challenging content? Mobs already one shot you .... giving characters better gear with more power and HP on it isn't really going to improve the endgame characters any more .... so, a change is needed.
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Winter Lily (CW) / Winter Rose (DC) / Winter Ivy (HR)
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    If anyone feels they need to quit Neverwinter because of M16, I respectfully submit myself as a repository for all your stuff. Wouldn't want it to go to waste, now would we?! Have to consider your virtual carbon footprint!
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    They need to do a reset of game stats at this point anyways, since more and more of the players hit maxed stats faster and faster as mudflation increases gear power.

Major changes like this however is a lottery(even though I do agree it is needed and a good idea in principle)
    * Will the devs manage to preserve the uniqueness of the classes? It has been a major selling point for NW
    * Will the devs manage to balance the classes properly? Who will be king of the hill this time?
    * Will the game be reasonably bugfree on launch?

This could be a disaster, or it could breathe new life into and revive NW. We'll know in a few months.
  • pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    The problems with the game is power creep but that is mostly a symptom. The core problem is player motivation. Why play? What are you gaining out of it. Take an example of a movie, why watch one? Well you watch one for the story, for the sets, for the costumes, for the escapism, etc. How does that translate into a game? You make the game story driven. How do you make it challenging? You set a limit to what gear and magic can provide at "end game" and the challenges are always just at that limit.

Basically NW, like most MMOs, is really a form of addictive gambling. You grind away for the prize, a new shiny. A ball of gold in the sky. This is in contrast to a game like Baulder's Gate which, you play for the story, the complex interactions with the NPCs, with the ability to change the story due to your interactions. Things like reputation, NPC and encounters flow charts (you choose this, now this happens), etc.

NW is NW, I don't expect much to drastically change. Even as significant as these changes are, it is still chasing a ball of gold in the sky. The end game players at 18K+ know that ball of gold is just clay.
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User

What about all the dc and lag...(not my pc) and all the things that are going wrong? Shouldn't they be fixed first and foremost?

i think its due to the amount of player that can use ecounters/dailypowers with same timers you use at-wills power clogging the server.
    edited February 2019
    this is a good maneuver to make end gamer that dont like to adapt to new stuff on the game and make them quit, if you fall for that gl, im staying on the background and have fun with the new changes xD
  • dwindling#8527 dwindling Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    arcanjo86 said:

i think its due to the amount of player that can use ecounters/dailypowers with same timers you use at-wills power clogging the server.
    Are you serious?

If so, then no, no it's not...
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    NO, not game killing, looking forward for those changes, a lot of good ideas and improvements I read in those blogs.
    As allways it depends on how they gonna implement all this, where some of you might be right to be scary, looking into the past.
  • reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
    It's really hard to say how this will turn out before it hits preview. IMO I hope it to be a royal pain in the HAMSTER to balance stats, I have fun balancing. Right now it's easy, 100% armpen, 100% crit, Stack the HAMSTER outta power/recovery. Even my GWF uses 4k recovery mount + all black ice enchants because he's 100% necessary stats.

2 things I do expect to see that I don't like:

1. End game content being pulled out of reach again for many players and it taking much longer to get them there. A monkey could build a toon using the current system.

2. All 5 of my end game dungeon toons will probably be broken the day this goes live. Sure I enjoy balancing my toons but I'd rather do it one at a time while I build them, not get them built and have the stat mechanics all change.
  • vendoodvendood Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    Watching various players go through various types of content, I can certainly see some motivation to shake things up. Since as @kiraskytower mentioned, once you hit a certain point you can blow through anything until you get one-shot.

For professions, they basically threw everything you had away and made you start over, with some partial credit for mats and slots and whatnots. Good basic idea, questionable implementation, with more bugs and issues than I really expect to see from professional coders who had substantial early feedback from the test server.

I can see that maybe NW has worked itself into a power-creep corner, and a re-work might well bring a certain freshness to the game. Unfortunately I also see a team that for the past year or so has talked a better game than they can implement. As has already been mentioned: if you have trouble getting your code to count to 10, you may want to hold off on the ambitious, sweeping, game-changing re-writes for a bit.

Fingers crossed, but expectations low.
    no breaking at all, it finally gonna give the challenge we all needed, tank will tank, healers will heal, dps will dps, no more 1 dps 4 buffers meta finnaly, most players are not used to adapt to changes, the increase of level cap, stats changes, the enemies changes the feats tree changes, the gear il system changed, the scale down system for lower level queued content, all of this was already needed long time ago and a plus we now had neverwinter players/content creators invited to beta test the new module and give devs direct feedback, game is doing a big step right know
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Can't really call one thing broken, when things were already broken. I wouldn't really call massive buffs rendering everyone unkillable, and OPs being able to solo everything by themselves without fear of death terribly balanced.
  • checkmatein3checkmatein3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 525 Arc User
    The changes are not game killing for me. I built my toon after the mod 6 fiasco with the intent never to favor any one stat or be a niche build that could be nerfed by the complete and radical change of any one or two stats. For example, my pre mod 6 GF was a regen tank. I could not die, period. Then mod 6 made regen an out of combat healing. The entire niche build was worthless. I will be affected by recovery and lifesteal, especially as the role of the Tact GF and some certain buffs that come from high recovery. But, my toon is not destroyed, like in mod 6, which became worthless. It will take time to adjust, if I need to adjust, and to figure out the new style of play. I remember with fondness running tank pre-mod 6, and am the most excited that this role for the GF finds a huge resurgence.

My trepidation has nothing to do with the content of mod 16, but the performance of Cryptic evidenced over the past few modules, and especially over the past months. Mod 16 will not be mod 6 just in the fact that content is not being removed, but added. The same problems with level cap in mod 6 will happen in mod 16. But the ability to code without bad bugs that stifle game play is the only issue that will cause me to just shrug and move on. Mod 6 had the arm pen bug (which was solved with synergies between tanks, before it was fixed). With a radical change in formulation (like in mod 6), there are bound to be formulaic bugs found in design of the game play. Trying to identify and test these is a massive undertaking, and I am guessing the alpha testers are specifically targetting this (or hope). Be that as it may, removal of content (which is not happening) and major game-stifling bugs (which have been happening) are my own real concerns. Otherwise, the change will be fine. I don't care much otherwise.
    LEVIATHAN--19.3k Metallic Dragonborn Guardian Fighter Swordmaster Loadouts

Guild--And the Imaginary Friends

• obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User

Great post. I joined after Mod 6. And I cant see what all the fuss is/was about.

I was here when they introduced the Rank 14 Bondings and the outrage over that. Didnt affect me or my enjoyment.

I have reverted to enjoying the free to play game and slowly bringing a GWF through the old content.
    Its bad enough that having made 16k on my 2 mains, anything above that is not having a significant impact on my output in terms of ability to complete all the content. The game needs something to change, the fundamental math of the game, as currently implemented starts dying around the high 14k point and is dead by 16k, and there is still 2k of additions players can make.

This change is needed for the life of the game.

"Go back to Mod 5" is nonsense talk.

The only thing to do is test the changes and give feedback, and not "I don't like the changes" feedback, feedback that actually identifies problems in the way the changes work inside themselves.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User

The changes are not game killing for me. I built my toon after the mod 6 fiasco with the intent never to favor any one stat or be a niche build that could be nerfed by the complete and radical change of any one or two stats. For example, my pre mod 6 GF was a regen tank. I could not die, period. Then mod 6 made regen an out of combat healing. The entire niche build was worthless. I will be affected by recovery and lifesteal, especially as the role of the Tact GF and some certain buffs that come from high recovery. But, my toon is not destroyed, like in mod 6, which became worthless. It will take time to adjust, if I need to adjust, and to figure out the new style of play. I remember with fondness running tank pre-mod 6, and am the most excited that this role for the GF finds a huge resurgence.

My trepidation has nothing to do with the content of mod 16, but the performance of Cryptic evidenced over the past few modules, and especially over the past months. Mod 16 will not be mod 6 just in the fact that content is not being removed, but added. The same problems with level cap in mod 6 will happen in mod 16. But the ability to code without bad bugs that stifle game play is the only issue that will cause me to just shrug and move on. Mod 6 had the arm pen bug (which was solved with synergies between tanks, before it was fixed). With a radical change in formulation (like in mod 6), there are bound to be formulaic bugs found in design of the game play. Trying to identify and test these is a massive undertaking, and I am guessing the alpha testers are specifically targetting this (or hope). Be that as it may, removal of content (which is not happening) and major game-stifling bugs (which have been happening) are my own real concerns. Otherwise, the change will be fine. I don't care much otherwise.

from what i understand your entire build is probably obsolete. (goes for everyone) they're nuking feat trees and re writing them to be one feat tree per paragon. and the feat trees are much smaller than now. no idea how closely our powers will be to what they are now either.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    None of us know what the new system will be like until we experience it first hand. I am not in favor of a lot of what I am reading about the new system. On the other hand, I was around for the Alpha testing and felt like I was playing a broken game back then. For those of you who were not with us for module 6, "Elemental Evil" saw the loss of 50% of the user base. Since then, the issues have been mostly repaired, but to address just some of the issues; new maps promised were just shuffled versions of Blackdagger Ruins, Helm's Hold, and Gauntlgrym. The only new map was Spinward Rise. All the dungeons were shutdown for "repairs" for an entire year. When they came back, several were still missing, and some still are to this day. The level cap was raised from 60 to 70, the grind to get to 70 could only be accomplished using the campaign. Sharandar had level 70 red caps one shotting the level 60 players. Life Steal and Regeneration was reworked and the new class of Oathbound Paladin arrived seriously over powered. They dominated PvP as they could not be killed. Gear Score replaced with Average Item Level. Enchantments and Artifact level caps got raised. The game was in such mess, I took roughly a six month vacation. Others never came back.

I plan to test play the new module 16 on preview next month. All 8 of my characters has finished Ravenloft. I plan to find out if they can still fight and survive in Barovia. If all my characters are dying in Barovia after beating it, then the system is broken. If I cannot play old content without having having support from other players, then there is something wrong. So I will hope for the best and prepare for the worst. But a "game killer" there is no such animal. You either play the game and enjoy it, or you don't. Players toss out in chat "this game is dead", no you are here playing it, therefore it is still functional. Regardless of how good or bad module 16 turns out to be, I will continue to play Neverwinter & Champions until Cryptic shuts their servers down.

Have fun! Hope to see you on preview next month.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    No. Not a "gamekiller".
    That's hyperbole.

This is a sharp left turn. Too soon to say if it will be better or worse.
    In fairness to Cryptic, a change is badly needed.
    The power creep is beyond bloated.
    Classes are sadly imbalanced. Half the feat trees are worthless. New players and end-game players cannot play together. The majority of founding players abandomed the game years ago and have not been replaced.
    The player base has shrunk.
    Change had to happen.

We all have anxiety about how this will affect our investment.
    But the OP's hopes for modified retention of recovery and lifesteal are too little too late. That horse has left the stable.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

No. Not a "gamekiller".

That's hyperbole.

This is a sharp left turn. Too soon to say if it will be better or worse.

In fairness to Cryptic, a change is badly needed.

The power creep is beyond bloated.

Classes are sadly imbalanced. Half the feat trees are worthless. New players and end-game players cannot play together. The majority of founding players abandomed the game years ago and have not been replaced.

The player base has shrunk.

Change had to happen.

We all have anxiety about how this will affect our investment.

But the OP's hopes for modified retention of recovery and lifesteal are too little too late. That horse has left the stable.

Fools wearing toques
  • silvershard#4275 silvershard Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    Try and also remember that none of the changes we have been so far told about are being made in isolation.

Everything about character creation, advancement and growth is being changed. So don't be surprised if additional Encounter powers or even at-wills are given some form of Lifesteal effect for the squishier DPS classes. Remember it's not being removed entirely from the game, and will exist in certain specific situations.
    Anyone who's familiar with GF's At-Will "Crushing Surge" will understand what I mean.

As to Recovery... well, I've got a DC who is by every standard the height of mediocrity, who I basically use for daily and weekly Guild grind, but fires out Flamestrikes almost as fast as Encounters. (OK. Doom helps with that a LOT...)
    I have a 13.5K CW who drops Ice Knives like a HAMSTER. (Multi type, largely AoE, Encounters with a decent Recovery allows fast turn around, which just generates fast AP from damage done, it's not rocket science.)
    It wasn't hard to get either of these to that level.

That all needs to change.

We have no idea if Crit Severity is being altered to offset the (generally) reduced Crit Chance by increasing its effectiveness.
    We don't even know if basic damage values will change.
    We don't know much of anything, and until the changes we do know about can be studied in the context of the FULL overhaul, any assumptions about who or what is going to die as a result are extremely premature.
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    Step away from the edge, OP. The announcements have been short on details. Wait until evidence based critiques start pouring in after the Preview is available on the server - in about a week.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    arcanjo86 said:

If there is a problem on Cryptic's side, everyone will lag. That is mostly not the case, the recent ToO being an exception.
    I generally do not lag or DC, which means that Cryptics servers and the network close to Cryptic basically is OK.

The most common cause of lag and DCs is the network between you and Cryptic. That is easy to diagnose with ping and traceroute. You need to discuss network problems with your ISP and possibly switch ISP(if you can).

Another common source of lag is your PC. Make sure you have an updated graphics driver, that your PC is not running all sorts of junk software in the background, and make sure that your PC hardware is up to the task.

Cryptic is generally doing the job on their side(although there is the occasional incident), most causes for lag and DCs are the responsibility of the player to handle.