test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Announcing Neverwinter: Undermountain

nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
Greetings Adventurers!

Today we announced our upcoming expansion - you are going to Undermountain! This is a big one and we've been working on it for a long time. There will be a lot of changes and we will be releasing Developer Blogs starting now until launch date (not yet announced). There will be a preview server available soon* (in addition to the early access program we've had going for a few weeks) so you can try out and get accustomed to the changes before the content goes live!

*Please note that the date of March 1 is what we are aiming for but is subject to change.

Comments

• pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    The teaser trailer looks good. Liking lifting the level cap to 80 as long as they are going to do something with powers and feats which was hinted at with the classes rework. Five new adventure zones!

And more....

I told my daughter, who stopped playing because she hated the grind fest after LV 70, that I would rise her toon up so we could do Mod 16 together because it looked like a big update and I don't think it will disappoint. Hopefully we will now be rewarded for waiting through the half mod, buggy, disaster that was 15.
  • pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    Holy freak'n s^%$ batman, I just started reading through the dev blog posts!

The removal of the Lifesteal and Recovery ratings are the two most significant. Lifesteal was problematic in that it invalidated most sources of healing and created a situation where a player’s health bar was typically in one of two states: full, or dead. For this reason Lifesteal was removed as a rating and there are only a couple of specific sources of lifesteal in the game going forward.

This one alone is a MASSIVE change! I mean this will completely null countless builds from various classes. Take the OP, providing extra recover buffs was a good reason to have one in the party. There there is classes like the GWF doing solo content and not having lifesteal while getting mobbed in places like Chult!

I mean wow! Its not that I disagree with the changes but the past few mods, I have little faith in the devs for getting even minor changes right in the game and these are complete overhauls!
  • c3rb3r3c3rb3r3 Member Posts: 277 Arc User

Great! I guess I can stop my plan to upgrade my enchantments until further notice. I think many will be gone. And, '6' is an evil number.

I hope we get weap/armor enchants overhaul as well as rank 15
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User

Great! I guess I can stop my plan to upgrade my enchantments until further notice. I think many will be gone. And, '6' is an evil number.

I am seriously thinking the same, no point going forward after boons, enchantments, and companions. Erinyes of Belial is +10% Critical Severity, I was planning to get a few from the AH but no way! All I plan to do is collect my AD and probably sell some items. Also updating the wiki after module 16 just became a nightmare. :-1:

wb-cenders.gif
  • theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    c3rb3r3 said:

I hope we get weap/armor enchants overhaul as well as rank 15
    Rank 15? Another way for alts to be completely unplayable!

-said by a guy who's never bothered gearing alts.

I'm more concerned about changing GWF to Barbarian. I mean, the pants/shirts for GWF is chain based. Barbarians don't wear chainmail!

At least now people will stop erroneously saying "What are you talking about 4E had a CRPG version, Neverwinter is based off of 4th edition" without knowing what they're talking about.

(Yes, I have the weirdest concerns)
  • divectoredivectore Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    March 1? 10 days before and no preview test server? based on my experience, @everyone could expect 1 may.
  • sgtpostal#4408 sgtpostal Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    my biggest q is wht happens to the enchants that give the stats they are removing (like dilvery) wht happens to them.... an crit gettin capd at 50%? seriousllu
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    What about all the other campaign zones and gears. They're now completely useless for level 80 or will they be updated?
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    divectore said:

March 1? 10 days before and no preview test server? based on my experience, @everyone could expect 1 may.

March 1st (tentatively) for Preview server to open for everyone, no release date for live yet
  • lardesonlardeson Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited February 2019

I understand this change is happening, fine. I would like to get a conversion table for all the changes that will happen. Example: you are getting ride of recovery, what will the recovery enchants be changed too? What will lifesteal and recovery be changed to on all equipment, artys, weaps, etc.

my hope is that they do replace those stats with useful ones, like recovery for ap gain and recharge speed wouldn't be bad and if they are completely making them obsolette then add a vendor that will allow you to trade them for other stuff. but im sure they aint as crazy as to release a tenser that has 4k recovery and not take it into consideration, also all these are only notes. nothing is definite.
    Lardeson CW not Mage. Where's my fireball and my thunderbolt?
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    If you search the archives you'd see that a lifesteal nerf had been proposed multiple times since Mod 6...

Mostly by support mains ofc. DPS mains rage at the suggestion.

The arguments for reducing lifesteal are good. Healing doesn't matter. Your bar is either full or empty, rarely anything inbetween.
    Most deaths are 1-hits.

Never expected them to straight-up GANK lifesteal.
    That is a suprise.

Insufficient information to tell if that is good or bad.

[Calls Auction House StockBroker]

"Dark enchants: Sell! Sell! Sell!"
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    lardeson said:

Lardeson CW not Mage. Where's my fireball and my thunderbolt?

You might be getting those now :)
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    And here I was about to take a break from NW for a while and they go and announce my favorite D&D Mod. :3 Going to have to wait and see what comes out in the notes. I hope to the gods that the level increase isn't like the one back in Mod 6, (especially wrt new gear and equipment) otherwise I got a very bad feeling about this expansion. :s The new zones and content seems like a winner, but I'm left wondering if it will be too much. SKT had three new zones to start with a fourth added mid point. While fun at first, it descended into a painful grind. I hope they add in some new features to keep them relevant and exciting between mod 16 and 17.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • sgtpostal#4408 sgtpostal Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    (mimicks abomb falling from sky)
  • kitkathdkitkathd Member Posts: 286 Arc User

And here I was about to take a break from NW for a while and they go and announce my favorite D&D Mod. :3 Going to have to wait and see what comes out in the notes. I hope to the gods that the level increase isn't like the one back in Mod 6, (especially wrt new gear and equipment) otherwise I got a very bad feeling about this expansion. :s The new zones and content seems like a winner, but I'm left wondering if it will be too much. SKT had three new zones to start with a fourth added mid point. While fun at first, it descended into a painful grind. I hope they add in some new features to keep them relevant and exciting between mod 16 and 17.

Well if you were an avid DnD player you'd have seen this coming for almost 7 months since neverwinter is required to follow Wizards rollouts and currently neverwinter is the only platform that is months behind in release schedules. Tabletop and the other games got undermountain last October and it was celebrated at the DnD con in San Diego.
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User

Holy freak'n s^%$ batman, I just started reading through the dev blog posts!

The removal of the Lifesteal and Recovery ratings are the two most significant. Lifesteal was problematic in that it invalidated most sources of healing and created a situation where a player’s health bar was typically in one of two states: full, or dead. For this reason Lifesteal was removed as a rating and there are only a couple of specific sources of lifesteal in the game going forward.

This one alone is a MASSIVE change! I mean this will completely null countless builds from various classes. Take the OP, providing extra recover buffs was a good reason to have one in the party. There there is classes like the GWF doing solo content and not having lifesteal while getting mobbed in places like Chult!

I mean wow! Its not that I disagree with the changes but the past few mods, I have little faith in the devs for getting even minor changes right in the game and these are complete overhauls!
    Why do I also get the feeling that Cryptic wants to offload a bunch of Leader/Healer pets on to players. Where folks used to run with their Tiger or Archon comp, now they'll have to break out the Angel, Sunite cleric or (gawd forbid) that annoying apprentice healer when they solo. Without lifesteal or it only available through specific sources, lots of folks are gonna freak out when this thing hits live, methinks. And while I principally run support and heals on my main, this is NOT going to be a welcome change.

It also looks like they've opened up the roles in the queues to let Templocks, DPS GFs and Righteous-specced DOs queue for the healer or DPS roles. While I think that's a good thing and adds a bit more variety I do hope that add that iconography to the character portraits so that parties know who is on tap for what role (DPS, tanks, or Heals) otherwise I suspect there will be a lot of confusion after the loading screen is done. My two coppers.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • vigilivigili Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5 Arc User
    And the so called new class stuff.The classes were already devided in 2 types of gameplay so nothing new there ARC.Tyvm,,,,,NOT.
  • Well GG Devo OP cd %'s , oh and that sweet blood raven/ bloodcrystal set is now useless according to what i read so that 1m+ad I have in "new" items is junk, I thought I'd be happy reading this patch but instead I am ashamed I spent any monies in the past year, thanks.
  • froger#9967 froger Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    With class names changing can we get our old class names as a title?
    Froger - Barbarian - Original Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Jade - Cleric - Healer Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Magnus - Fighter - 3rd main to be a tank - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Loverboy - Ranger - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Nomnomnommm - Wizard - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    I Am The Wall - Paladin - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    Xeros - Rogue - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    RIP bad name - Warlock - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Bardholomew - Bard - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Sirona - Cleric - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone

Jade - DC - Shadows of Gauntlgrym - PC
  • userutf8userutf8 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 270 Arc User
    That all looks really cool (at least on paper;-)).

@nitocris83 could you or devs (in case they monitor this topic) answer these questions, please:

1. Are you guys going to create some sort of bug-bash branch on forums so that community are able to report encountered issues when new mod hits preview in March?
    2. Are you guys planning to adress performance issues? Do you expect that performance issues that the game has atm are going to be partially resolved by changes to mechanics (increasing cooldowns and reducing amount of procs (aka lifesteal))?
    3. Do you have plans to publish PVE mobs' stats? Aka, minion "X" has A*N critical resist and B*N damage resistance on level N.

Thanks,
    @userutf8
    ABSOLUTE
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    divectore said:

3.1 is when they expect it to hit test not go live. at least that's my read

This discussion has been closed.