test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New crafting system - Trading in old assets and resources question

battlinardbattlinard Member Posts: 4 Arc User
I haven't played for a year, just logged in to see the new crafting system.
I have quite a few toons with various crafting skills on each.
This means I have many resources and assets up to and including many purples spread over my various toons.
I just started the new crafting quest with one of my toons but quit out because of this question:

What will happen to my old assets and resources?
Do I need to consolidate all my weaponsmithing gear on one toon and make him my main weaponsmithing toon now?
When I trade in old gear, will it become bound to that character or can I swap them around still?
Should I consolidate my crafting on one toon or spread them out over many?

Thanks for any advice and help.
I don't want to trade anything in yet as I don't want to do something undoable or waste what I already have.

Comments

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    You have the option of trading in old assets and resources for new ones after you complete the workshop intro and, if I recall right, get your workshop to rank 2.

Consolidation is not necessary.

When you trade in old gear you get silver and gold tickets that you then use to buy the new stuff from your retainer. Once you use a tool on a character it does become bound to them.

I have 9 characters. All of them are involved in the workshop process to one extent or another.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,213 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    Your old assets and resources will become like a coupon to buy new asset and new resources.

You don't have to consolidate but you can. I personally have not used any of my old asset to buy new asset because so far, I don't have the need yet. Hence, I stay put to see how to best use of the asset.
    I do exchange old resources to new resources to speed thing up occasionally.

When you use the new gear, it will bound to the character. It is one of the reasons I conserve my old asset to figure out the best use of them later.

IMO, the toon that has the forgehammer should do all profession and do all the tough task. You should make as many toon as possible to do most (if not all) profession to help out the main craft toon to do easier tasks.

Each toon has 400 free morale everyday (you can use AD to get more morale if you wish). Morale allows you to complete the job instantly. That 400 free morale per toon per day is a very good reason to have more toon doing profession.

IMO, having a forgehammer is a must if you want to do Master Craft. You don't have to trade in old asset for now.
    Your old resource is valuable.

I have ton of old asset (both tool and personnel). I have not used any of them.

I have a forgehammer (long time ago). That toon now has all profession reached 70. At this moment, I am working on giving it MC 2 for all profession. I have another 11 toon heading to have all profession 70 (almost there). I have not spend any AD so far. IMO, leveling in the new profession is easier and faster than the old one.

You need gold. A lot of them. Another reason to have more toon to do profession is: leveling toon also gives you gold (not all the task is profitable).

I can see MC 2 "no +1" can be my first big road block. At the moment, I am moving forward to all profession just before that road block and hope that can be changed (I know I am dreaming).

Post edited by plasticbat on
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    It's worthwhile to upgrade your workshops to level 3. If you're going to do mastercrafting, it's worth it to work toward level 4 workshops. To upgrade to level 2, you'll need one item (or set of items) from a list. The item I chose to make was three "Linseed Oil +1".

To upgrade to level 3, you'll first have to complete the quest "A Box for Knox", which will require you to make one item from a list. The item I chose was "Aquamarine Ring +1". After you complete this quest, then you'll need to speak to Lady Begum (by the auctioneer) and sell items to her to get 500k credit with her company.

If you want help with the items for the quests (in other words, if you don't want to make them), hit me up in-game @nunya#5309 and I'll be happy to send you this stuff.

As for trading in your old assets and resources, hold onto them. I used my resources (and many of my assets) to get enough stuff to sell to Lady Begum to get my characters to level 4 workshops. Don't feed your coffer with professions resources unless you really have to. Much of the time, there is someone in PE that wants to join a guild just to donate to the coffer (and then they leave your guild again).

I focused all my characters on one profession each so that I could have a wide selection of artisans for the selected profession, a decent selection of adventurers (for Gathering), and a few good artisans for one or two other professions. Of course, this means that I'm going to end up doing MC on 7 different characters. So my approach is probably not the best from a "cost to get through MC" perspective and, it seems, it is not the most widely adopted approach. (I may be a unicorn here.)
  • battlinardbattlinard Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Thanks for advice.

Think I have mostly done the right thing - ie just traded in what I have needed for specific tasks.

I'm thinking that getting at least as many adventurers as actual artisans is a good way to go? I mean so you can have more people off gathering than waiting to craft things?
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,213 Arc User

Thanks for advice.

Think I have mostly done the right thing - ie just traded in what I have needed for specific tasks.

I'm thinking that getting at least as many adventurers as actual artisans is a good way to go? I mean so you can have more people off gathering than waiting to craft things?

You can only send maximum 3 adventurers out to gather at any given moment for a given character. Yes, you may want to have more than 3 for other reasons but it is not for the reason of sending more people off.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    edited February 2019

Thanks for advice.

As plasticbat mentioned, you can only have three off gathering things at any given time. I tend to try to have seven adventurers per character. My favorites are Brenton Silverwood, Elend Legrande, Nadia Evendown, Rona Farhill, Dorrak, Heyra Keeneye, and Xerazze D'Zzen.

I do a lot of crafting of Quartz Rings to sell for gold. Rona Farhill is able to gather Copper Ore fast enough to keep three jewelcrafters supplied and enable me to burn all my morale every day. Nadia Evendown is good for gathering Sandstone slow enough to not fill up the box with it overly much and still gathers enough to keep three jewelcrafters supplied and enables me to burn all my morale every day.

I use the other ones for various other things, like Oak Logs, Gold Sand, and other high level tasks. The only exception is Astral Diamonds. I use Rona Farhill, Xerazze D'Zzen, and either Dorrak or Elend Legrande (depending on which one the character has). If a character has neither Dorrak nor Elend, then I'll go with one of the others after that. Oak Crossbow +1 make a big difference in minimizing failures and maximizing high quality results (without going overboard and spending loads of AD to get better crossbows).