test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Good, the Bad, the Unexplainable

hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
An alliance member of mine had a strange story for us this morning. He was running Throne of the Dwarven Gods, the version with the shield around the throne. It wound up taking, according to him, 21 minutes. Apparently, three of the players were the reason why it took an eternity to complete. To hear him tell it, they were jumping up and down all over the map, killing everything in sight with "stupid-high dps", including, most importantly, the Thoon Hulks. According to him, over and over again the hulks could barely take a step or two before they were obliterated.

Now, I can see there being one player ignorant of how the skirmish worked and needing it explained to him. That's common -- but three? With that level of gear? The way it was told, these were players with 17k+ IL. It had us scratching our heads. We kicked around some theories but I'd like to hear from the community on this one, because to us it defied explanation.
Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured

Comments

• Options
    lunartic666lunartic666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 53 Arc User
    Maybe they were PVP'ers with their me-first mentality?
  • Options
    namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    My top three theories from more likely to less likely

1) three trolls
    2) three new players who know each other, paid their way to 17K, and ran ToDG for the first time
    3) fairly sophisticated bots, but not good with mechanics, yet
  • Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    For a few dollars more... they could have bought themselves a clue!
  • Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    Aside from being bots, these players automatically assume anything with an HP bar means you are supposed to beat it down.
    Trust me, these are the same players that will try to destroy harmless ice on FBI's final boss... because the ice has HP bars.

To be honest, I always found it easier to use these types of pugs as tactical ablative armour, rather than hoping they don't throw a wrench in the machine.

• Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User

For a few dollars more... they could have bought themselves a clue!

I see what you did there :wink:
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    rjc9000 said:

Aside from being bots, these players automatically assume anything with an HP bar means you are supposed to beat it down.
    Trust me, these are the same players that will try to destroy harmless ice on FBI's final boss... because the ice has HP bars.

To be honest, I always found it easier to use these types of pugs as tactical ablative armour, rather than hoping they don't throw a wrench in the machine.

My guess is also this. I've noticed a similar mentality in MPF. There are times when I'm left by myself to do the doors and weapons, cause the other 4 people all just run outside to kill stuff. :(
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

My guess is also this. I've noticed a similar mentality in MPF. There are times when I'm left by myself to do the doors and weapons, cause the other 4 people all just run outside to kill stuff. :(

I learned early on to stay inside and do the weapons and the guards. Usually, I'm lucky and only 3 run out and the 5th person rouses the guards while I do the weapons.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    Oh, I don't know. I suspect some PUG bonus objectives!
    Like in MPF: poorly geared dps chars which tend to die immediately are supposed to clash with the enemy, while the slowest walker (like OP) is left alone behind to knock on the doors and to gear up the guards.
    It is sad that you finished ToDG in just about 20 mins. Who knows what miracles would be unlocked if every hulk was killed on spot for another 10 minutes?! =)

PUGs are mysterious and the people you can meet at such occasion are not simple. ;)
  • Options
    pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    Just sounds like trolls to me, esp as they seem to be together.
  • Options
    froger#9967 froger Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    I'll admit trolling like this once before. I loaded into an instance and didn't move to the door fast enough for one of the people, they spammed "get in door". So, I one shotted everything until I got kicked.
    Froger - Barbarian - Original Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Jade - Cleric - Healer Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Magnus - Fighter - 3rd main to be a tank - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Loverboy - Ranger - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Nomnomnommm - Wizard - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    I Am The Wall - Paladin - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    Xeros - Rogue - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    RIP bad name - Warlock - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Bardholomew - Bard - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Sirona - Cleric - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone

Jade - DC - Shadows of Gauntlgrym - PC
  • Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

I'll admit trolling like this once before. I loaded into an instance and didn't move to the door fast enough for one of the people, they spammed "get in door". So, I one shotted everything until I got kicked.

I have never trolled by killing the hulks but yeah, if I get insulted earlier on I do tend to try less hard ;)
  • Options
    pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User

If someone moves to the campfire for a min, I just assume they are tweaking their powers and load out and such. Same with going into the boss fight.