test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Well of Dragons >> Dragon Run

bluez#8817 bluez Member Posts: 104 Arc User
I have recently found myself doing the dragon runs in the Well of Dragons fairly frequently. I have played the game for some time, understand the ins and outs of doing the runs. I call the runs frequently as well. Recently, there seems to be an influx of people doing the runs. There is a developing problem here. When there are few people on, the unneeded instances drop away, leaving you with only 1 or 2 instances in which to do your run. This cuts them short. On days like today, I just left and there were 6 active instances, all nearly to capacity. The problem here is most runs form on the highest # instance with the lowest # of people. So we formed on instance 6. We even announce that we are going to instance 5 after 6 is completed. After we jump to 5, you realize that half of the dragons on this instance have already been downed. After that, because there are so many people in the lower instances, it's next to impossible to proceed. I'd like to put this idea to the Dev's. There's a simple fix to this that would take care of most of the dragon run problems in one stroke. That simple fix is to have the dragons respawn after say 1 minute. This way if you are low on instances, you only need one. You can run in circles until timer runs out. On days that there are many people and several instances, it negates the need to switch instances, not knowing if there are any dragons left in the instance you are going to. It also seems to me that this would be a simple code add. Since most mobs have similar respawn times, it would only be to add the respawn code to these.

I know there are a lot of people that do the dragon runs. I think this would fix a lot of player frustrations, I know it would for myself.

Please comment and see if there is enough support to get this looked at as an option.

Thanks

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,184 Arc User
    Different people has different goals of these runs. Some just want to fight. Some just want to have the reward as fast and as much as possible (so that their weekly quests are done in one combined runs). Some are somewhere in between. For those who killed those dragons hundred times already would be leaning to the 2nd goal.

I don't believe the original idea of the WoD dragon runs was meant to kill more than 5 dragons by jumping to different instance. It is the 'creativity' of the players that manifested the game play to be that way.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    Its years old content.. if they increase the dragons to deal with years of power creep.. they would have to make them rewarding again.. because frankly its of limited use.

ITs like that for like 90% of the game.. just lol at some peoples thoughts.. sure they are super easy.. when was those released anyways?

If you want to argue why they think they need to offer 20-30 or 50% more power every other mod.. that is a totally different discussion.. 5% would be fine.. but its crazy.. when I came back after a year.. COMMON blue drops in Bavoria.. were better then my million dollar AD bought professions gear that I had purchased on a few toons.

Thats just one years time. That was just basic HAMSTER gear.. when I started adding the hunt gear up altogether.. it was like 30-40% straight dps increases.. stupid .

So ya.. your mixing things up.. the dragons are years old.. dont start freting about that.. rewards are near meaningless.. even with whomping them.
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User

I have recently found myself doing the dragon runs in the Well of Dragons fairly frequently. I have played the game for some time, understand the ins and outs of doing the runs. I call the runs frequently as well. Recently, there seems to be an influx of people doing the runs. There is a developing problem here. When there are few people on, the unneeded instances drop away, leaving you with only 1 or 2 instances in which to do your run. This cuts them short. On days like today, I just left and there were 6 active instances, all nearly to capacity. The problem here is most runs form on the highest # instance with the lowest # of people. So we formed on instance 6. We even announce that we are going to instance 5 after 6 is completed. After we jump to 5, you realize that half of the dragons on this instance have already been downed. After that, because there are so many people in the lower instances, it's next to impossible to proceed. I'd like to put this idea to the Dev's. There's a simple fix to this that would take care of most of the dragon run problems in one stroke. That simple fix is to have the dragons respawn after say 1 minute. This way if you are low on instances, you only need one. You can run in circles until timer runs out. On days that there are many people and several instances, it negates the need to switch instances, not knowing if there are any dragons left in the instance you are going to. It also seems to me that this would be a simple code add. Since most mobs have similar respawn times, it would only be to add the respawn code to these.

I know there are a lot of people that do the dragon runs. I think this would fix a lot of player frustrations, I know it would for myself.

Please comment and see if there is enough support to get this looked at as an option.

Thanks

Dragon Runs are fun. My best is 14. I've been playing since WoD was launched in 2015, when 5 dragons was hard because WoD was upgraded to level 70, from 60.

We used to start at White and then Black, Green, Blue and Red. The Ride from Black to Green was fine for 5 Dragons, but others decided to skip the long ride and start Run 1 at Green, Blue, Red, White and Black and then 2nd Run (on another instance) at Black (because of it's nearness to the Central Campfire) and then to White, Red, Blue and Green, Change instance and White through Green for the third run.

Once the players got better, then the Third run started at Black all the way to Green.

Haven't been on more than one 15+, but there was confusion as to whether to start at Black or White.

So, it's not really circles, it's back and forth while changing instances each time.

You do need a party to be able to jump to the next instance most times. Single players have been shut out by the 30 cap.

Also, calling your next instance before you are at the last Dragon can cause latecomers to fill up the new instance before you finish the White Dragon on the first run, making some of the DRs not have a place to go because they stayed to actually kill the final Dragon.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

The black dragon taking random walks is a pain. :/

The dragons are bored too...
    I don't think that the way that the dragon heralds are being run is in line with the way that the devs designed the system. When I went to the Well of Dragons, I looked up the video from when it dropped. The dev that introduced this content was not waiting at a dragon when the call went out. He was doing other content, and when the dragons dropped he ran to the nearest one to try to kill it. Looking at the way that the toons damage interact, when playing in an over-stuffed instance, and the lag issues that causes, it appears that this content was never intended to operate the way that we use it today. I don't think that the devs are going to make any changes to this particular content. However, if they do, I think many people will be surprised at how they implement it. Given the changes made recently to old content, and the increased difficulty they have added, if the devs do address the Well of Dragons, I suspect that more dragons killed would be the opposite outcome.
  • xreinekexxreinekex Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2 Arc User

-far too easy to kill dragons, the reason random dragons are killed is because even a couple of players can kill three in ten minutes (and they have every right to do so because no one own the dragons or has any divine right to be the only ones killing dragons in Well).

couple of players can kill "just" 3 Dragon in 10 min? lmao xD just take 3-4 players in constellation of OP/GWF/DC/(GF)
    at an IL of 16k+ and knowledge about their classes and they melt dragon as fast as 30 players on the dragon instance ending up with 15+ dragons as well. we tested it once, a while ago to have a look how easy this became.

Also ToD is a pretty old Module and i don't think they are gonna fix anything in there. better don't change a running system, "improving" tends to lead into bugs and an angry playerbase (well for cryptic studios at least).
    Also you guys return to the WoD just for the DR but just think of the Players simply questing there. the content is not made for endgame players but for the players touring through the old campaigns for alts or completely new players chars.

And about the lack of instances needs to be said...Instances just close when they are not needed to fit the players inside the map. This system does not care about hourly returning events on this map or about the players that are doing those events. The event is supposed to work like "kill all 5 dragons on your instance if you are able to" and not "oh well players become more and more powerfull so kill as many dragons as possible not depending on the instance" thats not the core of the DR as it was ment to be when it was released back in 2014! keep that in mind WoD is online since 4 years and a coupla month now. Also tbh cryptic is not know for caring about their playerbases wishes and requests alot. just take the game and it's features as it is and have fun with it.
  • butcher#7034 butcher Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    i have played since 2017 and really like doing dr but there are never enough instances open for a good dr it would be great if there were 4 instances open at all times. many players ive talked to at night want to run the dr but all instances are usually shut down at night. i hope there will be concederation given to leaving more instances open
    THANKS
    great game
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

I don't think that the way that the dragon heralds are being run is in line with the way that the devs designed the system. When I went to the Well of Dragons, I looked up the video from when it dropped. The dev that introduced this content was not waiting at a dragon when the call went out. He was doing other content, and when the dragons dropped he ran to the nearest one to try to kill it. Looking at the way that the toons damage interact, when playing in an over-stuffed instance, and the lag issues that causes, it appears that this content was never intended to operate the way that we use it today. I don't think that the devs are going to make any changes to this particular content. However, if they do, I think many people will be surprised at how they implement it. Given the changes made recently to old content, and the increased difficulty they have added, if the devs do address the Well of Dragons, I suspect that more dragons killed would be the opposite outcome.

Agreed. I cant imagine the intention was for players to steamrolllolifyfacepalmdeathkill 20 Heralds of the Great Tiamat in 10 minutes.

Powercreep and player ingenuity has led us to where we are now. In the early days doing a five dragon run was hard at times. And *sometimes* we did Black Dragon as well.

If there isnt enough instances to smash more dragons to pieces in seconds then so be it.

Best solution is suggested somewhere above - toughen up the dragons and give better loot in return - i.e. GMOP+ [especially as the Dev team wants more players at end game faster]
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

If there isnt enough instances to smash more dragons to pieces in seconds then so be it.

Best solution is suggested somewhere above - toughen up the dragons and give better loot in return - i.e. GMOP+ [especially as the Dev team wants more players at end game faster]

The way it is now "satisfaction" is dependent on # of instances. Having the dragons respawn eliminates that need.

Toughening up the dragons would make it impossible, or at the very least incredibly difficult for the learning players, thereby aiming that content towards endgame players.

Toughening up the dragons would make them on a par with how we used to run DR which was, 5 dragons PER RUN in 10 minutes. We were all learning players [mostly] it wasnt impossible to finish five, but hard admittedly at times. But heck that was more fun than roflsmashing dragons and melting them in 30 seconds and moaning about no instance to jump to :)

But really, whatever, have the dragons spawn as soon as they die so you can smash 20 green dragons on the spot without even having to move around the map ;)

The way it is now "satisfaction" is dependent on # of instances. Having the dragons respawn eliminates that need.

Toughening up the dragons would make it impossible, or at the very least incredibly difficult for the learning players, thereby aiming that content towards endgame players.

Well of Dragons IS endgame content...
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    If people would be satisfied with 1-5 dragons in a run, it would be a non-issue.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • lordrhavinlordrhavin Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    How about this:

As the zone has a zone-wide hoard-percentage-counter, make the dragons also kind of zone-wide:

- They appear in all zones for just 2min simultaneously.
    - They're really, really tough.
    - Reward is given to all players participating after those 2min depending on how many dragons have been killed in all zones together.
This discussion has been closed.