test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

CTA's should have easier votekicking rules

hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
It's only the second day and I'm already seeing cases where more than one player is staying behind the walls waiting for everyone else to carry him. This just makes it harder for everyone else and raises animosity among the playerbase. We need a solution here.
Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured

Comments

• Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    I am having a similar problem. I have had several runs were the skirmish was finished before I finished the load screen. I never got any rewards, or credit for those runs. Don't let any of the other players out of the staging area until all players have loaded, please!
  • Options
    namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    It's very annoying to do MotH/DL in RLQ once a day and having one in three runs with an AFK leech. It is so bad there are AFKs even in tiamat (though in this case, I do not mind the group not able to one-phase the run as this means it is kicking time). I cannot imagine doing 10 of these runs daily and probably seeing even more AFKs because people are so burnt out from the insane grind. This creates lots of animosity. The devs had plenty of time to address this since RQ was introduced. Something as simple as reducing the kick timer probably would have been good.
  • Options
    pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User

It's very annoying to do MotH/DL in RLQ once a day and having one in three runs with an AFK leech. It is so bad there are AFKs even in tiamat (though in this case, I do not mind the group not able to one-phase the run as this means it is kicking time). I cannot imagine doing 10 of these runs daily and probably seeing even more AFKs because people are so burnt out from the insane grind. This creates lots of animosity. The devs had plenty of time to address this since RQ was introduced. Something as simple as reducing the kick timer probably would have been good.

I don't care how grindy content is, you should NEVER LEECH! Just skip it if its too much. If you do not damage a single thing then you should not get a token. I even brought a minimum Lv6 toon in and just hacked till I died then left the campfire and hacked some more.
  • Options
    chidionchidion Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    hustin1 said:

It's only the second day and I'm already seeing cases where more than one player is staying behind the walls waiting for everyone else to carry him. This just makes it harder for everyone else and raises animosity among the playerbase. We need a solution here.

I agree with "we need a solution", however because the vote-to-kick on a shorter timer had been abused prior to the way we have it currently I do not agree that altering the vote-to-kick settings is the best way to "do something'...

I do very much like the suggestion of a slight delay before opening the access to the area to allow all players to assemble though, as long as that delay is as I mentioned "slight"...

There is currently a mechanism to "Report Player Behavior" and as far as I'm concerned actual "leeching" is taking advantage of an exploit and as such is a violation of Neverwinter's TOS and those players should be reported... However that being said I'm guessing only certain people at Neverwinter/Cryptic would have access to information as to whether or not a player was actually leeching or whether there might be a problem that keeps them from connecting/participating.

I know for quite a while I kept having blue screens because of HKKbdFltr errors and as such it probably seemed to other players I just bailed on skirmishes and dungeon runs... but that was never the case.

But I will agree the developers should at least attempt some mechanism to identify and deal with leechers, or other abusers as the actions of just a few players seems to be souring the enjoyment for a great number of other players.

• Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    chidion said:

hustin1 said:

I agree with "we need a solution", however because the vote-to-kick on a shorter timer had been abused prior to the way we have it currently I do not agree that altering the vote-to-kick settings is the best way to "do something'...

I do very much like the suggestion of a slight delay before opening the access to the area to allow all players to assemble though, as long as that delay is as I mentioned "slight"...

There is currently a mechanism to "Report Player Behavior" and as far as I'm concerned actual "leeching" is taking advantage of an exploit and as such is a violation of Neverwinter's TOS and those players should be reported... However that being said I'm guessing only certain people at Neverwinter/Cryptic would have access to information as to whether or not a player was actually leeching or whether there might be a problem that keeps them from connecting/participating.

I know for quite a while I kept having blue screens because of HKKbdFltr errors and as such it probably seemed to other players I just bailed on skirmishes and dungeon runs... but that was never the case.

But I will agree the developers should at least attempt some mechanism to identify and deal with leechers, or other abusers as the actions of just a few players seems to be souring the enjoyment for a great number of other players.

When reporting, if the leecher gave me some sort of smug response when I called him on it I include that in the report. GM's can verify it for authenticity and it shows that said leecher wasn't having computer problems.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    cherryman1cherryman1 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    The ones that I dislike that I see as leeching is when I am the only person in the run doing stuff and I can run around and have 4 other players who have me on follow run right after me no matter where I go.
    Guild Leader: Under the Influence
    Yule (Barb): 72k : Siren (TR): 78k : Torun (DC): 73k : Siren OP (OP): 76k : Siren SW (SW): 78k : Modern (F): 80k : Cherry1 (CW) : 68k Siren HR (HR): 78k
  • Options
    dionchidionchi Member Posts: 919 Arc User
    edited January 2019

The ones that I dislike that I see as leeching is when I am the only person in the run doing stuff and I can run around and have 4 other players who have me on follow run right after me no matter where I go.

I've only had that to me personally a couple of times, my buddy claims he's experienced it more than I... but I have noticed what appears to be an uptick in the numbers of characters who appear to be doing little more than following another character especially during skirmishes like Master of the Hunt, but as I have no means or method to actually determine what’s going on I usually just try to shrug it off…

But still when it appears rather obvious that from the assembly point for a skirmish to the campfire and then over the wall, one character is merely following another, it does tend to pique my curiosity as to why it appears one character just following another instead of moving independently.
    DD~
  • Options
    namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    Report all followers. Chances are, it's all from the same multiboxing shithead.
  • Options
    lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User
    STO has a mechanism in place where you don't get rewards if you don't participate to a minimum level, and it's tuned pretty well: In the shortest queued content (which people use for DPS testing), while paired with some of the better DPSers in the game, it's POSSIBLE but DIFFICULT to try to participate and fail to qualify. And it requires the other people in your group to really work hard to try to kill things before you can reach them. In any normal circumstance, as long as you're trying to join the combat you'll never get the penalty even if you're not making much progress compared to the other people in the party.

(Which is another way of saying: Outside a *very* contrived circumstance, STO's anti-AFK protections are good and Neverwinter should look at them as something to consider.)
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Neverwinter used to have player policing via kicking afk players but they removed it by changing the kick timers to five minutes plus.

Perhaps the saddest fact about this change is that a lot of the push for change was from the botters who were the ones getting kicked...and they won because now their bots get to afk/leech without any real form of punishment.

Of course what seems to be missing is WHY Neverwinter moved the vote-to-kick timers to five minutes plus... I don't completely buy the "because of the botters" version.

To my recollection and according to some threads here on the forum. it was because some players were using the vote-to-kick against players they considered too slow, not properly geared or for other reasons that had nothing to do with a player being AFK, leeching or taking advantage of exploitive behavior but sometimes just because someone disagreed with the playstyle (exploring, opening chests, picking up drops, having to fight through mobs speed runners left behind, etc.) of another player.

As for AFK or leeching players being “punished” I kind of figure that’s the responsibility of the developers and GM’s in Neverwiinter, not the players but for those people to be aware of an exploiter or a problem – they must first be informed about the individual or circumstance causing problems (usually repeatedly), that’s the responsibility the players have… The PTB (powers that be) probably figure that if players think it’s too much trouble to report a problem in the game, it probably isn’t serious enough for them to act on it, despite the numbers of complaints generated here on the forum.
    DD~
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    The timer to kick was implemented on the Preview server in the build up to mod 12b when numerous people pointed out that the new Random Queue (as the only way to get RAD) would create situations where unpopular classes or characters not deemed meta or whatever, would get kicked and find it impossible to complete the queue. Accordingly, Asterdahl added the timers and the 4 hour lockout after initiating a kick attempt.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    teamstephonteamstephon Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    i think that if they cant follow the rules that they should not get anything from the event same for rps cause i did mess up ones doing this where i did get 3 tokens not that i was trying to afk but was only tying to make a private que that i found wasn't
  • Options
    edited February 2019

i think that if they cant follow the rules that they should not get anything from the event same for rps cause i did mess up ones doing this where i did get 3 tokens not that i was trying to afk but was only tying to make a private que that i found wasn't

I'm kind of confused by what you mean when you say "follow the rules", as far as I know there aren't any set in stone "rules" except to enter random content and do you best trying to make it from point "A" to point "B", defeat the boss and exit.

Now if you're talking about AFK'ers, perceived and actual leechers not to draw too find a point on it but I don't believe even that behavior is "against the rules"... unless Neverwinter/Cryptic would consider that kind of behavior an attempt to exploit the game, but I don't believe anyone has heard from Neverwinter/Cryptic regarding this type of behavior.

Lacking in common courtesy and devoid of the ideals associated with appropriate team game play certainly, in my opinion, but I'm not really sure that it constitutes a player, not following the rules.
    DD~