test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mod 15 and Profession Update - My Review

These are my opinions on the update and my experience playing mod 15.

First off the instructions for the new crafting system is not good and does a horrible job explaining all the ins and outs of the new system. Secondly, there are some bugs that result in not being able to move forward with the professions is quite frankly annoying and should have been resolved prior to even launching this on console. Third, the system is wonky and not much better than the older system. A crafting system in a game should not take hours to actually figure out and it should be fairly straight forward. My experience with the new the crafting system is horrible and IMO just as bad as the prior system. You should seriously look at other games crafting system and take a page from their book on crafting.

Class Updates - OMG you seriously made CW way to powerful. DO DC are also in that category (especially if a player is properly built). There was no balancing done here and things are just as bad as they were with prior mods. I mean honestly how can you say you fix something but allow a class to hit a sparring target by over 10M without any buffers around them when previously that same class hit for under 3M. That is just bad coding or class mechanic design.

The campaign for mod 15 is clearly for lower level characters and that is fine, but the story for the campaign is just plain old stupid and silly. I honestly don't even know why this was created. With all of the various content available within the Forgotten Realms and in other D&D campaigns you deliver this content. The worst part is the reuse of maps and than adding the annoying voice over to the map we already played a few thousand times is just well quite frankly more annoying than dealing with the bugs from the crafting system.

I'm going to continue playing and seeing if this gets any better but while I was playing around with mod 15 updates for NWO yesterday I was watching ESO 2019 planned releases and that looked more like how a developer should handled content release. In fact, it got me to pre-order the new chapter coming in June and I'm just starting out in ESO compared to NWO where I'm an end game player with 3 characters all over 17K. Since mod 15 doesn't seem to offer much for a player like myself and after completing the campaign I really don't have much to run I guess I will have to sit pretty until mod 16 comes out.

Comments

• stubbletuk#2505 stubbletuk Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    The waiting around to go from the HQ to the airship to the zone and back again takes longer than the actual quest. Same with the workshop. Are the PS4's really so limited everything has to be a new load instead of a seamless transfer from area to area.
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User

The waiting around to go from the HQ to the airship to the zone and back again takes longer than the actual quest. Same with the workshop. Are the PS4's really so limited everything has to be a new load instead of a seamless transfer from area to area.

Its not the PS4 or XBox that is making this game like this. It is around the game design.
  • autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User

First off the instructions for the new crafting system is not good and does a horrible job explaining all the ins and outs of the new system. Secondly, there are some bugs that result in not being able to move forward with the professions is quite frankly annoying and should have been resolved prior to even launching this on console. Third, the system is wonky and not much better than the older system. A crafting system in a game should not take hours to actually figure out and it should be fairly straight forward. My experience with the new the crafting system is horrible and IMO just as bad as the prior system. You should seriously look at other games crafting system and take a page from their book on crafting.

Class Updates - OMG you seriously made CW way to powerful. DO DC are also in that category (especially if a player is properly built). There was no balancing done here and things are just as bad as they were with prior mods. I mean honestly how can you say you fix something but allow a class to hit a sparring target by over 10M without any buffers around them when previously that same class hit for under 3M. That is just bad coding or class mechanic design.

The campaign for mod 15 is clearly for lower level characters and that is fine, but the story for the campaign is just plain old stupid and silly. I honestly don't even know why this was created. With all of the various content available within the Forgotten Realms and in other D&D campaigns you deliver this content. The worst part is the reuse of maps and than adding the annoying voice over to the map we already played a few thousand times is just well quite frankly more annoying than dealing with the bugs from the crafting system.

I'm going to continue playing and seeing if this gets any better but while I was playing around with mod 15 updates for NWO yesterday I was watching ESO 2019 planned releases and that looked more like how a developer should handled content release. In fact, it got me to pre-order the new chapter coming in June and I'm just starting out in ESO compared to NWO where I'm an end game player with 3 characters all over 17K. Since mod 15 doesn't seem to offer much for a player like myself and after completing the campaign I really don't have much to run I guess I will have to sit pretty until mod 16 comes out.

The new professions seems like way more work than it should be. You are right it should be done much better and much, much more intuitively. Rumours are they did this to stop AD farming and other stuff that was over the top for a small percentage of the players. IMO they should have just nerfed the old system and left it alone. It was very much a set it and forget it system which was great so you could focus more on the actual game.

I started the new system with my main and stopped as soon as I could. Won't bother with my other nine toons. But even if I was the person who wanted to spend time doing it, I would wait a few updates until they can get some of the kinks worked out.

IMO CW are now much better. My main is a CW and I have always felt a little underpowered compared to other characters at the same level especially in the beginning. I love the new changes and yes before you ask I have looked into all builds and all that. I just think they needed a boost.

*shakes head* The new campaign. It just seems like they tried way too hard to be hip and funny and just came over as embarrassing and unnatural. It doesn't feel right in the NW universe at all. It feels cheap and cartoonish. (Tho I have to admit the cursed blade was funny). Although, I do like having new stuff to run at with my new toons so I just grin and bear it.

All that being said, there is some really positive changes. Loot drops are much better, skill node rewards are better and I love being able to auto pick up loot. I think the game, as a whole, is much better with the changes even with the disappointment of the new professions and campaign.
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User

You could have just said it sucks and saved some typing. No truly, it does. Absolutely horrible and unintuitive design. Creates more lag. Nothing is very well documented or explained. Not to mention I feel ripped off for already investing so much time and resources into crafting only to be robbed of all of it and basically told to start from scratch. Yay, I have over a dozen Epic Grandmasters in each profession, now I'm stuck with only 3 in 3 professions and some crappy Rare and Common crafters. Simple cash grab when I see the only way to get my Epic crafters back is a big old fat Zen button. Even then it is RNG between Rare or Epic applicants. Can't just choose Epic by my own choice. After 3 years of playing, I can finally say enough. Not investing any time in this or the rest of the game.

I find ESO crafting to be easier and more rewarding without all the various RNG that NWO has for its crafting system. The main RNG in that game is finding the style for crafting. Once you get the style you can craft it and sell it in game for gold which cannot be used to buy ESO marketplace economy.

What is killing NWO is the ability to buy zen with AD. It has it merits but at the same time it hurts the game. It would make more sense to either bind all zen market items to account or remove the ZADX system from the game.

I'm playing the new campaign for the boons and will play NWO game sparingly as my time is now on ESO, simply logging in doing 1-2 easy dungeons for some AD and than doing the campaign on my 3 character, so no more than maybe 5 hours a week on this game, if that. Now my time is on ESO where everything I do feels like I am accomplishing something for my character from running a dungeon to playing the well written out story, to improving the various skill lines, and of course simply exploring the maps that are well designed.

ESO recent live stream of their 2019 calendar release for content was well received and they are adding another class with the chapter update in June which adds a very big story line to the game, a DLC that will be just as large as the chapter, and 2 smaller DLCs as well. I know ESO may have their issues but how gear is handled, inventory, etc... is better thought in design. There really is no buy your way to end game either, so players with max stats have to earn them, not buy them.

The one thing I like that NWO does well is combat but ESO has greatly improved the flow of combat since the game launched; it is faster than it once was but still a bit clunky at times.

Both games have their strong and weak points but due to the recent update and other issues I'm finding myself not as drawn to NWO like I was originally and therefore finding it easier to not care about what I invested into this game for time or money as it doesn't seem worth it to justify what I may have lost if I move on, though I am being hopefully for mod 16 as I really rather not do all I have done in NWO in another MMO like ESO.

I'm sticking around just to see what mod 16 brings. Hopefully changes that will improve the game and make it worth playing for hours on end again.

• burnahbros#7516 burnahbros Member Posts: 72 Arc User

100% disagree. I love the new crafting system. It is very easy to understand and is much more engaging. The new crafting system allows players to have fun playing the game as you no longer need to do constant profession rotations. Under the old system if you had multiple toons running professions you would have to switch toons to retrieve and set your professions all day long. Under the new system you can set it and forget it. You can fill your delivery box with repeatable tasks instead of having to do so manually. This is a huge QoL change for the good. I love the workshop and it's atmosphere. I love that my workers are actual npc's that I can see in my workshop. I'm developing a fondness for them and I recognize the workers when I see them. The interface for the workbench is very simple and straightforward. People begged for this change and as always when the devs deliver exactly what the players asked for, the response is negative. It's becoming a joke how players beg for change in the game and then complain about the change they asked for in the first place. Players complained that gold was useless, well not anymore. Players complained that campaigns were to grindy, well not anymore. Players begged for a professions overhaul, well not anymore. Now players that did nothing but complain about how grindy SKT campaign was are complaining that AI is too easy and they want campaigns like SKT lol. Mod 15 is a breathe of fresh air as far as professions are concerned and IMHO the devs did an excellent job.
  • markeen#2032 markeen Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    @mebengalsfan#9264 said:

I'm going to continue playing and seeing if this gets any better but while I was playing around with mod 15 updates for NWO yesterday I was watching ESO 2019 planned releases and that looked more like how a developer should handled content release. In fact, it got me to pre-order the new chapter coming in June and I'm just starting out in ESO compared to NWO where I'm an end game player with 3 characters all over 17K. Since mod 15 doesn't seem to offer much for a player like myself and after completing the campaign I really don't have much to run I guess I will have to sit pretty until mod 16 comes out.”

You pretty much wrote how I feel about this latest update. I know players wanted a change with professions but I do not think this is what they were asking for. It’s clunky and the tutorial can be confusing. Also, I feel like the trade of old materials, assets and this strange system of employee management wasn’t very good or fair.

The campaign is very much for lower leveled new players (all the events are for new players as well). It’s boring. The voice acting is terrible and the writing seems lazy. The story is just too silly. Not to mention one of the characters is named after a recreational drug. Perhaps that explains this update in a nutshell (see what I did there? Meh) The loading times are extremely long (I play on PS4) and I spend more time loading than actually playing.

I haven’t looked at all my characters to see the class changes and how they change the gameplay so I can’t comment on that yet.

Overall, This update feels like a disaster. It’s uninspiring and makes it really hard to find a reason to keep purchasing VIP or logging in at all. Especially since pretty much our entire alliance has called it quits do to this update.
    Founder of Knights of Ra guild in Neverwinter PS4. Founder of The Arashikage Clan in Defiance, formally of PlayStation Home.
  • markeen#2032 markeen Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    Not to mention artisans have commissions now and if your RNG just happens to give you an artisan with 200% commission your gold is gone if you ever want to craft anything.
    Founder of Knights of Ra guild in Neverwinter PS4. Founder of The Arashikage Clan in Defiance, formally of PlayStation Home.
  • ragequittingdc#8599 ragequittingdc Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    I'm sort of liking the new craft system now that I've had time to slot the favorites I need and such. disliking the need to shell out five million ad to get max rank workshop though. I could craft the stuff for commissions, but I just don't have time for that as I already have things to do as a rank five mc for all capable professions, with a life outside of nw smashing down on top of that with its own forge hammer you could say, lol...random daily commissions, no thank you! it's a convenient sink, along with rolling for bis artisans, and is there some sort of bug with recruits? I stopped getting any new ones for three days now.

the campaign is pretty simple and easy enough to get through. pretty weird and are these memes I'm seeing in the texts and names? the mod that broke the fourth wall. class wise I still haven't picked my dc back up; busy as ever on gwf but I'll get around to it.
    im actually the gwf carry