test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Wand of Wonder

kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
I'm not really sure what this wand is supposed to be doing, but other than a casting animation, it doesn't appear to actually do anything at all. Once, I think, it made me invisible for 5 seconds or something, but other than that one single time, out of maybe 100 casts it doesn't appear to ever actually do anything. I see no conditions applied to me or a target, I've tried in and out of combat... It has a casting animation with is nice and all, but it doesn't seem the to actually do anything.

Is this a bug? Am I just missing something? Is it actually not supposed to do anything? I'm familiar with the P&P Wand of Wonders, and I'd expect it to do weird things like make butterflies come out of my backside, or drop a potted plant on someone's head, or make me explode in a 10D fireball.... something... I think the one from AqusitionsMart is defective... I lost my receipt, can I still return it?

Comments

• nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    Hi @kvet! The is an issue with the randomization of what the wand can do. We've addressed it internally and should go live in the next PC patch.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User

Hi @kvet! The is an issue with the randomization of what the wand can do. We've addressed it internally and should go live in the next PC patch.

oh! great to hear - I thought I was just, I don't know, waving it in the wrong direction or something :)
  • therealprotextherealprotex Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 526 Arc User

... is an issue with the randomization ...

No kidding!
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    probably the same way the rng works in the game too when you get 20 failures in a row on something lol
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    This thing makes me want wands as actual casting implements.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    So far I've turned invisible, been enveloped in a stinking cloud, summoned butterflies and rain, and stunned myself.
    No idea what my toon is now.
    There's a fireball power that tinges my character in red but otherwise doesn't seem to actually DO anything that I've seen. I've also been both shrunken and enlarged. The butterflies for 10 minutes does get a little annoying after a while.
  • aganwayaganway Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    I absolutely love the wand and it has become my total favourite toy in the world ever. :-) I've been playing Neverwinter on PC since before Icewind Dale was released and this is the best toy I have come across by far. It just makes things more fun.

I have slotted it in #4 in my tray and use it in battle routinely as soon as it has cooled down. I am amazed at the variety of things which come out of it. So far I have seen a handful of things done to myself: Leaves on my body, slowed speed, frozen and unable to fight for a few seconds, knocked off my feet, turned ice blue, surrounded by butterflies, enveloped in a dark cloud, turned insivible... But it also does things to enemies too: Sometimes you have to quickly hover over the icon in your top buff toolbar to read what the thing is. There has been lightning coming down and shocking enemies, one which turns all enemies glowy rainbows with rays coming out in all colours and they seem to take a LOT of damage, one which makes all enemies just stand there and not move while people attack them (bosses too), other ones which buff yourself in some way and do more damage. I am setting it off as often as I can to collect all of them and know what they all are. Often I cast it on a boss, like in Castle Never, and it's just a quick little animation I'm not sure what it has done, but it loses HP's like the clappers. You just never know what it's going to do, but that's what I love about it, it is so much fun and full of variety. When I got it, I thought it would be like the pocket pet or coin where you have say 4 or so things on random rotate and it would get boring, but this has masses of things. I do hope that in the future sometime they keep adding more casts to it now and then just to keep it fresh, adding to what is there already obviously, so every now and then a brand new one pops out which will make you laugh, and also it would be really cool if it had an achievement connected to it, so after a certain amount of casts in battle you get a special title like "Wonky Spellcaster" or "The Unpredictable" or something related to the un-known facet of the wand.

Totally good job Devs. Love it. :-)
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    aganway said:

I absolutely love the wand and it has become my total favourite toy in the world ever. :-) I've been playing Neverwinter on PC since before Icewind Dale was released and this is the best toy I have come across by far. It just makes things more fun.

I have slotted it in #4 in my tray and use it in battle routinely as soon as it has cooled down. I am amazed at the variety of things which come out of it. So far I have seen a handful of things done to myself: Leaves on my body, slowed speed, frozen and unable to fight for a few seconds, knocked off my feet, turned ice blue, surrounded by butterflies, enveloped in a dark cloud, turned insivible... But it also does things to enemies too: Sometimes you have to quickly hover over the icon in your top buff toolbar to read what the thing is. There has been lightning coming down and shocking enemies, one which turns all enemies glowy rainbows with rays coming out in all colours and they seem to take a LOT of damage, one which makes all enemies just stand there and not move while people attack them (bosses too), other ones which buff yourself in some way and do more damage. I am setting it off as often as I can to collect all of them and know what they all are. Often I cast it on a boss, like in Castle Never, and it's just a quick little animation I'm not sure what it has done, but it loses HP's like the clappers. You just never know what it's going to do, but that's what I love about it, it is so much fun and full of variety. When I got it, I thought it would be like the pocket pet or coin where you have say 4 or so things on random rotate and it would get boring, but this has masses of things. I do hope that in the future sometime they keep adding more casts to it now and then just to keep it fresh, adding to what is there already obviously, so every now and then a brand new one pops out which will make you laugh, and also it would be really cool if it had an achievement connected to it, so after a certain amount of casts in battle you get a special title like "Wonky Spellcaster" or "The Unpredictable" or something related to the un-known facet of the wand.

Totally good job Devs. Love it. :-)

Paging @ctatumdev#6113 for this :)
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Wish owlbear figurine had a CD if 30 seconds or something. No love for the dumb owlbear.
  • juleadreamjuleadream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 372 Arc User
    Are you saying the incantation right? It's "wingardium levi-O-sa", not "wingardium levio-SA"
    edited December 2018
    If I was to offer a criticism, it would be the "does nothing" result pops a wee bit too often though.
  • frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    I see nobody mentioned Grass... Is it possible that the "does nothing" is it? Grass popping up on the floor...
    FrozenFire
  • rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    i wish the blue effect had a 10 min duration like Butterflies
    1 Hour is a lot of time

also some nice effect have really small duration like shrink and the size increase one (can remember the name)

all of them with 10 min would be awesome...

btw i could invoke a blue Dragon on my first use, i was in Bank skirsmish and got the wand and casted to test, bom Blue dragon walking at my side

unfortunaly never invoked that again :'(

Anyway really awesome item !!! gonna grab one for each toon as soon as i can...

I see nobody mentioned Grass... Is it possible that the "does nothing" is it? Grass popping up on the floor...

Ahh, yeah, could be, my graphics are set pretty low.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    rafaelda said:

btw i could invoke a blue Dragon on my first use, i was in Bank skirsmish and got the wand and casted to test, bom Blue dragon walking at my side...

I was in Barovia and saw the Blue Dragon on the ruins where I was heading to do the small HE "Restless Dead". So the Blue Dragon works, but is he effective in such a short duration or is this just for special effects?
    wb-cenders.gif

rafaelda said:

btw i could invoke a blue Dragon on my first use, i was in Bank skirsmish and got the wand and casted to test, bom Blue dragon walking at my side...

I was in Barovia and saw the Blue Dragon on the ruins where I was heading to do the small HE "Restless Dead". So the Blue Dragon works, but is he effective in such a short duration or is this just for special effects?
    Also dont know invoked mine out of combat, tring to do it again since then but dindt happen agin yet... anyway is a nice effect XD
    I would agree that many of the effects should be a much longer duration and the effects should most definitely stack. For example, Invisibility should be 10 minutes or until next power use (sort of like the D&D invisibility) and it would be awesome if things like grow or shrink could be cumulative (so you're super tiny or the size of a giant if you happen to get the same effect twice).

The major negative effects (like the lightbolt to the head that stuns you) or even effects with combat bonuses, should stay as they are, but purely cosmetic changes I would say really should have longer duration so we can enjoy the effects.

Yes, the ice one probably shouldn't be 1 hour, 10 minutes is sufficient. Also - just sayin'.... people LOVE when you drop the rain in the middle of combat. LOVE IT. ;)
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    Wand of Wonder
    designed to make you wonder!
  • merik1999merik1999 Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    I love the Wand of Wonder. I do wish it would state what is cast in the log. Most of the time I can't see what was cast unless it was obvious the butterflies, darkness, blue skin...But I would like it to state in the Log what was cast. If that could be added in, I would be happy. :)
  • divectoredivectore Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    i summoned a blue dragon once, it did like 50k to goristo before getting killed, is pretty fragile for a dragon.
    divectore said:

i summoned a blue dragon once, it did like 50k to goristo before getting killed, is pretty fragile for a dragon.

So, it was a magic dragon, and it went *puff*

rafaelda said:

It does fight i could make him face the Deepcrow in chult tempole, but the time summoned is really short...
    https://imgur.com/aJHyRyv
  • stormfury#6869 stormfury Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    I love the wand, possibly one of the best items in the game. Certainly one of the most fun, but for the love of sanity tone down the butterfly duration!
    I recently had butterflies 3x. That was actually really frustrating..... but kind of funny too :)

I love the wand, possibly one of the best items in the game. Certainly one of the most fun, but for the love of sanity tone down the butterfly duration!

It's only 5 minutes now, when it first started it was an hour, that was a bit of a nightmare and 5 minutes goes pretty fast in comparison.
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    aganway said:

It's only 5 minutes now, when it first started it was an hour, that was a bit of a nightmare and 5 minutes goes pretty fast in comparison.
    I was running a Lair of Lostmouth and one of my compadres wasn't very impressed by the lag th ebutterflies was causing him ;)
    I don't get any lag from them.
  • anomaleaanomalea Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    I love the wand and would use it more but the duration of the butterflies is too long. It actually makes me a little queasy trying to play with that visual distraction. And I don't want to annoy my teammates either.

I've summoned some pocket-change refinement for myself, and...there was a new effect the other day..when I used an at-will I suddenly had a whip in my hand. Lasted a few seconds and I wasn't sure at the time what I was seeing, just that my at-wills weren't going off..then I saw the animation. :D