test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PS4] New player, questions about queue system and tank role.

renryuu#4921 renryuu Member Posts: 2 Arc User
Hello everyone, my friend wanted me to try this game out and I've been having fun with it. I ended up leveling up an Oathbound Paladin as my first character since I normally play a caster dps in other mmos and figured I'd try something new. I built him as a tank according to a guide on MMOminds and selected the Oath of Protection paragon and everything, but it seems that when I queue for random content, it will often put me in as a healer and I don't have a healer set up at all. Currently I only have access to the Leveling Queue and the Intermediate Queue. Have I by chance messed something up and the game thinks I'm a healer or is this normal for Paladin?

Also on a separate note, while I've have dabbled in tanking in other MMOs, I'm still massively new to both tanking and melee in general since as I mentioned before, I always go for caster classes since those are what I do best at and my favorite combat style. I notice though in the content I've done so far, I feel rather useless as the rest of the group just rush content and are destroying it with ease so I end up feeling like I'm being heavily carried and not really contributing to the group, which makes me feel really bad since I do like to be as helpful as I can. Do things change with the Advanced Queue and Expert Queue or is this typical in general? Also if tanking will become important in later dungeons, what tips are there for tanking? Like should I get all the enemies that spawn or should I just make sure I grab the big guys? Should I be doing a more offensive style or should I use encounters that are purely for support and only using my At wills for damage?

Finally, was it a good idea for me to go with Oathbound Paladin or should I have stuck with my gut and gone for a caster instead? I mean, I do enjoy the paladin, but I'm a mage at heart so I'm always gonna wanna be the mage in a game when I am able. From what I've read, pure dps aren't as desired as support and I'm totally fine with being a supportive mage, but I just couldn't figure out if I wanted to be a Warlock or Wizard as I couldn't find much info on which is overall the better class to be for supporting groups and is desired for group play. I like the looks of both, but wouldn't want to get to max level and invest all that time and energy and it turns out I picked a class that isn't wanted.

Oh and as a side question, what should I be doing at level 70 aside from getting all the boons? I know I should get companions and mounts, but is there a reliable way to get them without spending real money or grinding for millions of diamonds to buy them off the auction house? Is there certain areas I should focus on for gear or is there other things I should do before worrying about gear?

Comments

• jase2cooljase2cool Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 165 Arc User

Hello everyone, my friend wanted me to try this game out and I've been having fun with it. I ended up leveling up an Oathbound Paladin as my first character since I normally play a caster dps in other mmos and figured I'd try something new. I built him as a tank according to a guide on MMOminds and selected the Oath of Protection paragon and everything, but it seems that when I queue for random content, it will often put me in as a healer and I don't have a healer set up at all. Currently I only have access to the Leveling Queue and the Intermediate Queue. Have I by chance messed something up and the game thinks I'm a healer or is this normal for Paladin?

Also on a separate note, while I've have dabbled in tanking in other MMOs, I'm still massively new to both tanking and melee in general since as I mentioned before, I always go for caster classes since those are what I do best at and my favorite combat style. I notice though in the content I've done so far, I feel rather useless as the rest of the group just rush content and are destroying it with ease so I end up feeling like I'm being heavily carried and not really contributing to the group, which makes me feel really bad since I do like to be as helpful as I can. Do things change with the Advanced Queue and Expert Queue or is this typical in general? Also if tanking will become important in later dungeons, what tips are there for tanking? Like should I get all the enemies that spawn or should I just make sure I grab the big guys? Should I be doing a more offensive style or should I use encounters that are purely for support and only using my At wills for damage?

Finally, was it a good idea for me to go with Oathbound Paladin or should I have stuck with my gut and gone for a caster instead? I mean, I do enjoy the paladin, but I'm a mage at heart so I'm always gonna wanna be the mage in a game when I am able. From what I've read, pure dps aren't as desired as support and I'm totally fine with being a supportive mage, but I just couldn't figure out if I wanted to be a Warlock or Wizard as I couldn't find much info on which is overall the better class to be for supporting groups and is desired for group play. I like the looks of both, but wouldn't want to get to max level and invest all that time and energy and it turns out I picked a class that isn't wanted.

Oh and as a side question, what should I be doing at level 70 aside from getting all the boons? I know I should get companions and mounts, but is there a reliable way to get them without spending real money or grinding for millions of diamonds to buy them off the auction house? Is there certain areas I should focus on for gear or is there other things I should do before worrying about gear?

Hi and welcome to the game fellow Oathbound Paladin.
    OP is a special class where got option to choose path as Devotion (healer) or Protector (Tank) .
    My suggestion is to create 2 loadout with one each . so you be able to play as healer or tank when need be and able to fit into more party .

Main thing about tank is holding aggro in order to do so you will need to actually deal damage invest in armor penetration (how much i need? check MMOmind guide). you will require to buff party members (aura of courage,bane,aura gift is what is to be expected from you by most party) and of cox standing alone in-front of boss while others at the back and able to stay alive always be opposite of everyone else and make sure the boss is facing you.

From above description you can more or less guess how important an OP to a team at end game content.
    Most of the rotation and build were available on MMOminds, my advice to you is use Binding Oath during mobs fight to pull aggro and keeping yourself alive and use vow of enmity during boss fight to maintain aggro on boss fight . your biggest downfall is failing to hold aggro and the boss turn around and slap your dps .

DPS players normally will have to make own party you will not get invites in end game content.
    ( end game content dps requires for 5men party = 1 and 10men party = 2 normally) there is many dps players chances of getting in is pretty low .

Support Mage for both warlock and wizard are quite sort after but not as much as DC or OP / GF. Wizard and Warlocks can be capable DPS too for endgame content . Again same as any MMO the most difficult is always getting a good healer and tank for making a party.

My advice is that NWO is a game play what you enjoy playing the most important thing is to have fun .

Side answer, participate on game events, 1st thing to do is daily try cap 100k AD refinement daily by doing all the random ques and que for demogorgon/tiamat/folly if its not enough, these dungeons gives currency which will help you in unlocking the campaign and later be able to forge key to unlock second chest. NWO has events whole year long where you are able to get event limited mounts/artifacts and etc. keep in touch with guildies/friends join alliance/friends adventures. The game can be 100% free to play if you have some time to play it and know what to do.
    Focus on your companion get the right companion and 1st thing to do after that upgrade your bonding rune stone to as high as possible .
  • renryuu#4921 renryuu Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Ok, thank you very much. I guess I'll keep going with paladin as I really do enjoy playing it and just learn it some more. Do you by chance happen to know why I'm being placed in groups as a healer despite me having Oath of Protection selected?

Also as an unrelated question to the topic, but still about this game, is it common to have odd graphical issues happen on PS4? By this I mean when I engage monsters it'll suddenly show a ton of money pick up values and my total gold, but none of the money it says I picked up is actually added and there was no gold on the ground that I walked over. Also when in a populated channel, when I move over to the quest pane on the hud, the box rapidly flashes around the quests as well as over the map as if it's rapidly moving between two different quest panes. Then there is when I press the touch pad to move to a different section, it'll often pop up the the box showing what I'll get for my next time at invoking. Finally when trying to select or manage items and gear, it'll often register inputs twice making me add or equip/unequip things all the time instead of just accessing the menu.
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    OP tanking is easy once you get the Temp HP. GF tanking isn't all that hard but you do have to be a bit more aware due to needing to keep the shield up on the bigger hits to significantly reduce incoming damage.

OP are highly sought after in end game; it is an excellent class to play.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    the reason you are being flagged as a healer is because the OP CAN be a healer, and you are being picked to fill that slot on a party that already meets all the other requirements.
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    There is no role in random leveling queue, it just throws any three/five players together.

For the higher queues, what role you will go in as depends on what your paragon was when you first entered the queue. So if you were protector (devotion) OP when you first enter the queue, then switched loadout to devotion (protector), you will still enter instance in tank (healer) slot. While you may not be doing this, it could be the other OP in the group that did this. But you should not see GF (DC) if you entered queue as protector (devotion) OP.