test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

K-Team Brilliant idea, but needs adjustments

matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
Hi dear Devs and Players!

First of all let me wish happy New Years to all of you!

Recently i haven't participated here, but i felt it is time to grab the virtual pencil and write a few of my experiences about the new dungeon run format, K-Team.

I would wish to see this topic to be an open, but civilized and constructive discussion about the issues this new format is facing and it would make me very happy, if the Devs could add their thoughts to it, no demand, just a polite ask.

Sorry, if i bother you with my personal story, i am a long time player from the beginnings, been here with the game since ages, have seen many ups and downs and i am still here playing and still enjoying my "balanced" TR and i would like to enjoy her as long as the game stands, but after the Mod 15 "balancing act" to TRs it is already tough for us to find a place in meta, so i was very happy about being able to play the old content as it was designed and as i had it in memory from before Mod 6, where it was more about playing the game as a team and not just blindly face rolling it.

So took the chance to get into some K-Team runs and as you can guess,- cause why would i write these lines, if everything went okay- all failed. Mind you i have never died, still wasn't able to claim victory once.

So, if you allow me, lets get into some details, i will be as polite and diplomatic as i can- promised.

I went out to join a few runs, it wasn't an easy job, cause well yeah my main is a TR and people have a very distorted picture about us and despite the "balances" we are not as bad as some picture us to be, as a pure DPS class we still can dish out nice damage.

So after having to fight for a place i got in, just to nearly smash my keyboard.

For Christ's sake most of the people can't put their smartphones,those social media sites and a bunch of their chat programs at side, not for 1 sec and there will be definitely at least 1 person HAMSTER the fun for others.

I was talking to one of these chaps, he told me (feel free to laugh) he has over 15 applications running in the background, but then again blaming the game he had major lag. He had many games, 5 chat programs and 2 voice chat programs running at the same time. You could see, when he was typing, cause he was standing still in the middle of red AoE and yes you can bet, these types of folks have the best ideas why a run has failed and believe me over the dozens of tries there was always at least 1 such a genius in the group.

Other type of player is the one, who for God's sake won't understand, he or she isn't buffed up and still tries to face tank and face roll everything, despite seeing it, it won't work. Get me some head ache pills please lol.

Then there are the ones who simply make things worst, the new all buff meta parties, where not even one DPS can have a place, cause they try to circumvent their lack of knowledge of the dungeon's mechanics by fighting it with an over buffed party. I guess some of us still remember when Valindra was on the menu and after so many years of being able to play her the lazy way, most couldn't handle it and where still running anti clock wise. Now try to tell most people, who never saw a mechanical clock in their life the proper way- wasted energy, they think you are a smart HAMSTER and won't listen anyway. So you see, there is a new meta forming, even worse than the normal end game one, giving many classes some serious troubles to fit in there.

So, sorry for my small rant tainted post, but these are my true feelings and there is a thing i would say and ask the Devs to consider.

Dear Devs, this format is awesome on it's own, but please don't hide the new gear pieces behind this format, most of us will get tremendous head aches before we ever get the piece(s) we want from there.

Please change the K-Team to be just a fun place for the very dedicated and let us just play it as a place for fun, AD and some other loot.

This format is awesome, but we write now 2019, it would have been great if we just had the 90's and no smart phones, not so many social media sites and whatnot to divert people's attention, cause let's be realistic, most people can't multitask and 1 or 2 such crazy people ruining the fun for others is very annoying- mildly spoken. Currently the dedicated people can feel punished without doing anything wrong, just cause their team mates can't focus a few minutes on the task... You know bit off topic, but what would happen, if in the army nobody would get their payment, just because there are a few lazy people.

Thank you for your time and please consider giving us a way to obtain those items via other ways too!

The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
David Icke

Comments

• helric9helric9 Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    I'll make some popcorn before the film starts.

Edit : the KC is the best thing that has happened to this game for a long time.
    Still a few small adjustments, like a little extra bonus, and it will be perfect.
    Post edited by helric9 on
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    I don't quite agree :)

My experience is that with the easy zones, kteam parties are formed with little regard to IL or class, except there must be a tank and there must be a healer. That goes for VT, and that goes for ESoT. Zones like CR are just not very doable kteam. CN was a fun kteam zone, but definitely nontrivial to complete even with a 17k+ team.

The big problem has been that many NW players has no idea of proper group tactics altogether. In normal zones people are so overpowered that they just rush in with no thought. That playstyle taken into kteam does not work. In kteam you need to play defensively, let tanks lead, fight ranged if you have low defenses etc. I had one kteam where a GWF did his normal run-ahead routine, got promptly killed by the first group of mobs and ragequit. *snicker*

And then there is the tactics on the end bosses. A lot of (the newer) people are so used to being in really overpowered groups that they have no understanding and no training on the endboss tactics. Valindra red stripes and ESoT boss red fields caused lots of wipes because many people do not know how to handle those.

The problems in kteam has to a large extent been players lacking party skills and boss script understanding, (for VT and ESoT) not ILs or class selection.

At least as long as you are past 12k IL or so, it should not be very difficult to do the easier kteam zones as long as your personal skills and boss understanding is up to it. You won't get a kteam score every week, but you'll get there.

I applaud Cryptic for making a play format that forces people into proper group tactics and forces people to learn endboss scripts. It also brings lots of nerve into the gameplay, that has been missing since mmorpg's all but removed the penalties for dying.

And no matter how interesting the play is, if there is no worthwhile loot at the end, such features will not be used. So please make sure any such features have worthwhile loot on success.
  • ragnarz2ragnarz2 Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    Cryptic is teaching us all the ways you can die in an old dungeon!
    Cryptic is providing an opportunity to rediscover the power of focus!

Sadly it was seemingly impossible to explain to someone in alliance chat that the bank heist was not k-team.

If this is going to be a long-term approach then they should add a category to the queue system that has the ever changing k-team or equivalent challenge.
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    read a book written by devs, "1,001 ways to die in Toril"
  • b4t1b4tb4t1b4t Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    The Kteam idea is rather nice and interesting. If your experience is not a good one then its the team your in not really the dev team. They created a nice feature and we the players use the feature how we want. If you get into a team and a player simply does not understand mechanics then you as the one that does should shine light and explain before going in. If the player does not listen or simply refuses to pay attention then perhaps its time to kick them and get one that will. It is a private que after all so why not. If you die then you simply should learn from that and not make the mistake again. I only find it frustrating when a party wipes and we must start all over but is this issue one that the dev team created? Sure not its the mistake of the one that died that caused the wipe. I say leave it as is and build on it.
  • feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    I like it. I wish the private queue wasn't necessary but anyone can tell you what a nightmare the public queue can be. You still get the instant ragequitters, the impatient players impressed with themselves and just waiting to kick someone, and the completely clueless who try to form "k-team" runs without bothering to switch on hardcore mode and minimized IL, but still, for my time, much more entertaining to run than anything Cryptic has designed since mod 6. I like it as a gate for new gear, but given the puzzling buffs and stats of the 600 IL gear I'm not sure I want more than two pieces anyway.....but Cryptic not knowing/caring how to design gear for HRs is nothing new.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    I think your first two rants are irrelevant with regards to K-Team so I'm going to choose to ignore them.

Your third point is fair and I've seen it myself many times doing MinIL runs. People don't know how to actually do old content because power creep has gotten to where the old content is super easy. That's why MinIL is such a great idea! I should point out that the scaling on already hard runs (Tong, CR, etc) isn't actually that bad - it's the HC mode that makes those REALLY difficult for K-Team. Valindra is a good example though - under HC+MinIL, that run becomes challenging to the point where teams have to actually deal with the caskets (for example) or actually die. No one that's started this game in the last 2 or 3 years will really know how to do that - not because they're dumb but rather because it's been unnecessary.

My alliance ran a Dragonflight during a recent 2x event (can't recall which one off hand) and it was a disaster. Many of us veterans remembered how to do 4 dragons, but newer players just didn't know how to do it at all since we hadn't run a DF in ages. So, after the first run was an abysmal failure, we took the time to explain all the details and after that, we did several 4-dragon runs in quick succession.

My point? Education. If your team is failing at VT or any other older dungeon, and they aren't (your points 1 & 2) then just take some time and explain the mechanics to the team, get each one to acknowledge what needs to be done, etc. Maybe do some practice MinIL runs without HC mode until the team gets what needs doing.

If you're pugging... well... gods help you, but really it's the same thing I always say to elitists that cry about low IL players doing RAQ or whatever: Don't run pugs if you're not prepared to deal with the mouthbreathing masses (see OP points 1 & 2). Instead, join a good guild/alliance and premake your teams - I don't mean in the elitist way either, in this case, I just mean premake teams that are all willing to at least give it a solid try and, if they don't already know how to do that DD in MinIL mode, are willing to spend the time learning it.

You can't help what other people do or say in MMOs - but you can take responsibility for your own actions.
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    kvet said:

I think your first two rants are irrelevant with regards to K-Team so I'm going to choose to ignore them.

Your third point is fair and I've seen it myself many times doing MinIL runs. People don't know how to actually do old content because power creep has gotten to where the old content is super easy. That's why MinIL is such a great idea! I should point out that the scaling on already hard runs (Tong, CR, etc) isn't actually that bad - it's the HC mode that makes those REALLY difficult for K-Team. Valindra is a good example though - under HC+MinIL, that run becomes challenging to the point where teams have to actually deal with the caskets (for example) or actually die. No one that's started this game in the last 2 or 3 years will really know how to do that - not because they're dumb but rather because it's been unnecessary.

My alliance ran a Dragonflight during a recent 2x event (can't recall which one off hand) and it was a disaster. Many of us veterans remembered how to do 4 dragons, but newer players just didn't know how to do it at all since we hadn't run a DF in ages. So, after the first run was an abysmal failure, we took the time to explain all the details and after that, we did several 4-dragon runs in quick succession.

My point? Education. If your team is failing at VT or any other older dungeon, and they aren't (your points 1 & 2) then just take some time and explain the mechanics to the team, get each one to acknowledge what needs to be done, etc. Maybe do some practice MinIL runs without HC mode until the team gets what needs doing.

If you're pugging... well... gods help you, but really it's the same thing I always say to elitists that cry about low IL players doing RAQ or whatever: Don't run pugs if you're not prepared to deal with the mouthbreathing masses (see OP points 1 & 2). Instead, join a good guild/alliance and premake your teams - I don't mean in the elitist way either, in this case, I just mean premake teams that are all willing to at least give it a solid try and, if they don't already know how to do that DD in MinIL mode, are willing to spend the time learning it.

You can't help what other people do or say in MMOs - but you can take responsibility for your own actions.

Agree mainly on the fact that I am one of those players who joined just over two years ago and so consequently I dont play my class [GF] as well as proper veterans. My iL of 16.5k is no reflection on my ability to play whatsoever. I play 90% of content solo and my build/playstyle is fine for that.

But for "hard" content I am nowhere near as good as a 12k iL veteran - I cant draw aggro whilst holding up a shield for a boss fight, find it hard to get my toon between a group of others who don't stand behind the shield, constantly trying to reposition my toon better and then still getting one shot splatted by groups of mobs in FBI despite my best efforts.

And at my time in life learnign new tricks isn't easy. I do my best but the powercreep and the levelling process dont teach much of any use when it comes to FBI+

Oh and I had so much stick as "Tank" in FBI+ runs when the more squishies were running around like headless idiots that I dont bother with FBI+ anymore.

But I dont inflict myself upon those who want to do them which is pretty much what most players need to do until they learn the mechanics as they are essential for stuff.

Example being I had to solo Valindra from 50% health down and that was bloody hard work. Most times I never even see the casckets for example so I had no idea what to do with them :)

• utookmynickutookmynick Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Well, I don't know. The rewards need to be worthwhile, so whatever they change to, people will still complain if they fail a few KT attempts.

What they DO need to work on is fixing bugs and tweaking the timing of certain attacks. Since HC is supposed to be a test of skill and understanding of the dungeon, they need to fix the "out of your control deaths." Some examples:

- CR still has bugs at last boss (unless they've fixed in the last couple of weeks)
    - CODG hand grab was only partially fixed. The pull/push can still sometimes pull/push you out of the hand.
    - CN: sometimes you get the green tether right at the start of the first boss. I guess the tether happens randomly, but adjustment could simply be "random, but can only happen 3 seconds after the start of the fight"
    - FBI last boss: everyone is standing behind the ice, but sometimes it still manages to kill most or everyone.

Anything else?
    Post edited by utookmynick on
    More uncontrollable oneshots:
    CN first boss: He got a laser attack that sometimes oneshots you (I possibly just did not understand the mechanics of this and how to avoid it)
    CN second boss: You get oneshotted from the room turning upside down. The red fields showing where it is dangerous do not always show up of come very late.
    CR, phase where one person is summoned up: If you have ranged people in the team and have low defenses it is very difficult to stay alive.
  • spidey#3367 spidey Member Posts: 400 Arc User
    Biggest failure so far from Cryp?
    Vistani Set for free, so everyone gets iLevel. No one knows any mechanik. No one knows anything about boss fights. GG Cryp.....

K Team? Great idea. Better rewards, but dont change any gameplay of the dungeons.

• tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User

Hi dear Devs and Players!
    I guess some of us still remember when Valindra was on the menu and after so many years of being able to play her the lazy way, most couldn't handle it and where still running anti clock wise. Now try to tell most people, who never saw a mechanical clock in their life the proper way

Bouarf. I always run the opposite as everyone (if they go clockwise i go trigonometric, if they go trigonometric i go clockwise), because it's funny, but I do it as close as possible to the center so my "followers" don't cross the path of players running at the perimeter, and so I can challenge myself into tricking ghosts, deathrays and sometimes lag.

The big problem has been that many NW players has no idea of proper group tactics altogether. In normal zones people are so overpowered that they just rush in with no thought. That playstyle taken into kteam does not work. In kteam you need to play defensively, let tanks lead, fight ranged if you have low defenses etc. I had one kteam where a GWF did his normal run-ahead routine, got promptly killed by the first group of mobs and ragequit. *snicker*

That's so true.
    One other concomitant problem also is most of the players can't really adapt themselves to the party (if they don't really know each others, and are outside the usual "meta"), or are too lazy to even think about making adjustments.
    Everyone expects everyother to adapt to him and his playstyle, or would prefer blaming one for not doing "his job"/"wrong build" instead of trying to figure out a way to make the group a successful one (though sometimes it's not possible ^^).

A K-team with GF, OP, CW/HR/TR doesn't work the same as one with OP, DC, SW/GWF/TR but both can be equally successful (at least until ToNG).
    One exemple among others : if you are the TR, you probably wouldn't need to smoke-bomb in the first party because the combo CW/HR generally take care of mobs AoE control, but you would very use the smoke in the second group.

I can't count the number of runs where after a little chat together, just changing 2-3 little things, the fights then go from "hell hard we are dead" to "smooth win".

Most of the time, failure is due to lack of communication and lack of understandings about how the other classes work (which is why I recommand to everyone to make at least 8 toons, on of each class; and do the RLQ/RIQ sometimes on those rerolls, to grab some basic knowledge on every class).
    Sometimes, it is combined with what's is considered as "mistakes" (can be debated) on build of the members of the party or even lack of knowledge about their own class.

That's the very reason why I prefer playing in guild/ally/friend-party (though i like to sometimes go alone/duo with full random, when i feel i have enough playtime ahead).

Never expect knowledge, skill or proper/logical build from random people. But you can at least try to explain them (if needed) a bit.
  • tom#6998 tom Member Posts: 952 Arc User
    CR is buggy AF and the rewards for K-Team are also pretty <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. They could have atleast implemented a kind of Leaderboard :/.
  • pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    The problems you are describing are a basic lack of understanding of how each classes role should be played. Tanks should be the first to attack a boss to grab as much argo as possible. And the tanks job is not to dish out the most DPS, that is for the GWF, SW, TR, etc. The run mech that the GWF has is not to be first to battle but to allow them to run around the battlefield, helping out the buffers, etc.

And in a no death wanted match like this, the healer needs to not only heal but keep you from dying, be it the cleric or pally. If your class is squishy then run with some extra resistance buffs instead of extra DPS ones like infernal spheres for your SW.

And almost all the classes can buff each other, if you are a SW, place that pillar of power where the melee fighters are and then back out, you should be getting 5 seconds of benefit from it anyway and if more then one party member is in there, it is doing more work then just you standing in it.

Etc and so on. This is not even the more complex dungeon mechs to learn, this is just basic class jobs and such.
  • klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    My only complaint is that the one death = gameover is way too punishing, and sometimes it's out of the player's control.
    A lagspike, a bug, a disconnection, a simple IRL distraction of one of the 5 causes everyone to be punished (sometimes very harshly), is this really fair? (ok, now you're gonna tell me this ain't supposed to be fair, but I'm trying to be serious here for a moment)

Imho, this could be changed to something a little more sophisticated like:
    1) No Scrolls of Life allowed.
    2) No Consumables allowed.
    3) Mount Powers disabled.
    4) Artifact Powers disabled.
    5) VIP buff disabled.
  • lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User

More uncontrollable oneshots:
    CN first boss: He got a laser attack that sometimes oneshots you (I possibly just did not understand the mechanics of this and how to avoid it)

Talgath does not have any unavoidable attacks. The laser-ish thing has a splat you can run out of, the giant lasers from the wall have a splat you just don't stand in, and the binding chains ARE super-nasty but you make sure you're never standing next to anyone else and prioritise moving away when you get chained and you'll be fine.

CN second boss: You get oneshotted from the room turning upside down. The red fields showing where it is dangerous do not always show up of come very late.

Yeah, the splats don't show very often for this any more.... but you can look up. See where the spikes are BEFORE the mechanic triggers, then try to stand out of them so that no matter when the room flips, you're safe.

• bigman99#8273 bigman99 Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    Just so there is a little clarity. The first boss in CN (undead beholder) will perform the green link of death the instant someone in the party attacks him. This goes for passive powers as well, such a some OP aura's, Mark or Warlock's curse. If you make sure you have no passive aoe attacks going, and split before the tank grabs the first aggro, you will be fine.
  • utookmynickutookmynick Member Posts: 206 Arc User

Just so there is a little clarity. The first boss in CN (undead beholder) will perform the green link of death the instant someone in the party attacks him. This goes for passive powers as well, such a some OP aura's, Mark or Warlock's curse. If you make sure you have no passive aoe attacks going, and split before the tank grabs the first aggro, you will be fine.

Thanks, that's good to know.
  • spidey#3367 spidey Member Posts: 400 Arc User

You can choose the people you run with and not to beat about the bush here but gtfo of any group where someone is wearing vistani (or has green artifacts or has no companion or has any of the lots of warning signs of failure).

Wasnt talking to you.

Spidey
  • feioso123feioso123 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Apart from the buggy mess that is CR and the occasional lag spikes, K-team is perfectly fine as it is, the only problem are the players themselves who seem to have forgotten most mechanics or in certain classes what most of their toolkit does outside of the typical setup...months of running codg/cr/tong seem to have turned most of the player base into freakin drones...

With that being said...dear fellow Prot OPs...for the sake of smooth k team runs...learn to cast Absolution on the party members before boss fights/dangerous areas (green ball area in CN)...it's a 50% hp shield + 50% dr resistance buff that is permanent until said shield is depleted, on normal content it's meh...on hardcore...a life saver...stops every single one shot in CN, in Valindra it may eat up 1 death ray but more important it allows you to ignore the ghost's damage, etc...slot it in before a boss, cast it on every party member, your mom, your dog, your cow...once you are done, go back to your usual power setup...start the fight.

You can thank me later.
  • asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    It would be nice, if you could run it wth 3 or 4 ppl either. Dont get me wrong, I would not even bother with a CR or SP K-team run with 5 ppl, but VT or SOT can easily be done with 3 or 4 players. A smaller group of players could run it and would not have to bother inviting another player, risking him to be a weak link.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • smulchsmulch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 625 Arc User
    good news for you, the items are garbage for dps. Don't bother running it
  • feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    Also, using K-team for pre-mod 6 dungeons that are now easy for endgame characters is a fine idea. It teaches people how to actually play rather than blindly rushing into a crowd of of monsters and firing off a few encounter powers. Using K-team for something like MSP that is already next to unplayable in the public queue is just pointless and sadistic. I've spent enough time lecturing 11k (because the IL gate is at least 2000 too low already) players on dragging chains through fireballs. I'm not interested in spending hours doing all that while also hoping to get a run where Nostura doesn't use the death curse on anyone.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Well, spellplague wasn't designed well for this kind of thing. Castle Never is fine, there's no nonsense behind the mechanics. Unlike here where things boil down to RNG.

Two squishies can get chained at a bad time, bleed to death and take damage destroying the chain. Nostura's random curse HAMSTER.
  • ultimatefgt123ultimatefgt123 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 96 Arc User
    ghoulz66 said:

Well, spellplague wasn't designed well for this kind of thing. Castle Never is fine, there's no nonsense behind the mechanics. Unlike here where things boil down to RNG.

Two squishies can get chained at a bad time, bleed to death and take damage destroying the chain. Nostura's random curse HAMSTER.

+1

..a little thought to which dungeons are given out as tasks - CR and MSP that have bugged content that automatically results in a wipe right at the final boss is pretty shameful tbh.

ghoulz66 said:

+1

..a little thought to which dungeons are given out as tasks - CR and MSP that have bugged content that automatically results in a wipe right at the final boss is pretty shameful tbh.
    I am sure you have noticed they are alternating hard and easy kteam zones. That is an excellent solution, that gives the top-end players something to put their teeth into, while it gives the rest of us a fair chance at a kteam win each second week.
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    gate everything behind kteam not just those almost useless piece of armor.
    EXAMPLE : CR-SP-TONG-FBI TOP gear.
    rest dungeons lower item level gear.
    Post edited by mamalion1234 on