test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Simple solution to gold shortage according to D&D rules

feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
Neverwinter is supposedly a Dungeons and Dragons game. In D&D, one (1) Astral Diamond is worth 100 platinum pieces. One platinum piece is worth ten (10) gold pieces. Therefore, each single AD is worth 1000 gold pieces.

Simply add a currency exchange to the market or the bank in PE in which any player can exchange one AD for 1000 gp. Make it a 1AD/1000 gold per account limit daily for all I care. But right now, a stack of 100 platinum statuettes (paradoxically worth only 1/3 gold apiece when they should obviously be worth at least 10 gold apiece) sells for 12,600 AD in the auction house. In other words, players are paying 12.6 million gold to buy 33 gold. This is absurd. Implementing a currency exchange would resolve the absurd gold drain of the new crafting system without having to rewrite it in order to make it profitable in and of itself (as it should have been from the beginning, but this is a simpler solution).

Comments

• nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    This is a pretty good idea. I would actually be willing to use that exchange as described. It would make using artisans with a positive commission modifier (possibly even a high positive commission modifier) feasible.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,184 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Boy! You want to wipe out my sector. I have been selling gold (items) for years. :(
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    There is no massive gold shortage, look at all the gold bars on the AH, 100 gold still goes a long way, just kill stuff, a stack of platinum whatevers goes for 35 gold.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Neverwinter doesn't work off the PnP gold value. This is obvious by the fact that it takes 100 cp to make 1 sp and 100 sp to make 1 gp.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    greywynd said:

Neverwinter doesn't work off the PnP gold value. This is obvious by the fact that it takes 100 cp to make 1 sp and 100 sp to make 1 gp.

Oh! It should have been obvious that using difference factors for those units meant that all this time 1AD was actually worth 1/12.6 of a copper. Well, then since gold is so valuable, let's have the currency exchange operate the other way and within the auction house, so I can buy those new mastercrafted weapons for a few hundred gold. That'll make crafters happy! Thanks for predictably standing up for the game's worst absurdities.
  • feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User

There is no massive gold shortage, look at all the gold bars on the AH, 100 gold still goes a long way, just kill stuff, a stack of platinum whatevers goes for 35 gold.

Since it's so efficient, please report back to us on how long it takes to gather 100 platinum items worth approximately 1/3 gold apiece by adventuring, then multiply that amount of time until you've earned the approximately 500-750 hold that crafting can cost a 15 character account per day. Then kindly suggest how that works with a full time job and a human need for 6-8 hours of sleep per day.
    edited November 2018
    -

Since it's so efficient, please report back to us on how long it takes to gather 100 platinum items worth approximately 1/3 gold apiece by adventuring, then multiply that amount of time until you've earned the approximately 500-750 hold that crafting can cost a 15 character account per day. Then kindly suggest how that works with a full time job and a human need for 6-8 hours of sleep per day.
    I don't know. I have one new character started from scratch after mod 15. Started profession after balm patch. Started every profession and gathering from level 1. He is earning at least 20 gold per day doing basic low level profession tasks. The gathering and crafting are all set up the night before. I go home after work to collect, combine (using moral) and sell. That is 20+ gold for one new character.

Post edited by plasticbat on
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited November 2018

One of my alts spends more than 100 gold each day on her high-level tasks with high-speed artisans. I go through hundreds a day on my account, and I used to spend well over 1000 daily before I curtailed some of my tasks and shifted focus to generating gold to pay for the remaining tasks.

The gold shortage is a real thing, because no one is generating enough new gold to pay for this new system in a sustainable fashion beyond, possibly, what they themselves are crafting. Even generating just enough gold to sustain one's own crafts is incredibly tedious and overall the opposite of fun and engaging.

Unless a lot of players start using crafting specifically to make enough surplus gold to sell to actual crafters, the gold economy is going to continue to deflate rapidly.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

vorphied said:

Unless a lot of players start using crafting specifically to make enough surplus gold to sell to actual crafters, the gold economy is going to continue to deflate rapidly.

That is what I am considering. I make gold to get AD. I use AD to buy what other high end stuff other crafters sell. :)
    Making gold is less headache for me at the moment.
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    vorphied said:

Even generating just enough gold to sustain one's own crafts is incredibly tedious and overall the opposite of fun and engaging.

This is why I have stopped doing everything in professions, other than Crates of Astral Diamonds for my own guild. I'm just accepting that, at some point, I probably won't be able to afford to do even that.
    I know a guy that has a bigger-than-life solid gold statue of himself in his basement. Anyone want to steal it?
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    I think the goblins already did. But it has to be fake, as we can pick it up easily, so makes me wonder if he is hiding the real one elsewhere.
    According to the dialogue, Jim doesn't know how we make it disappear.
    True, but still makes me wonder if we return the real statue, a fake, or it was always a fake to begin with. With everything else in the mod, I am suspecting the latter.
    Yeah, getting the impression that Acquisitions Incorporated has somehow managed to weasel their way into everything having to do with this mod. Up to and including bugs and their fixes.
    edited November 2018
    At least the Heart of Fire is a pretty good enchant. That is at least one good thing, that and the boons, to come this mod. But back on subject, I do seem to be getting a bit less gold that I used to too. But I am also not really doing professions at the moment, and if I did it would be to make gems for personal use.