test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which retainer did you choose?

mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
edited November 2018 in General Discussion (PC)
Just wondering.

I had asked in the feedback thread on test that the retainers be given a simple info page that we could look at in-game, or even just given a brief write-up on the news page; That they just let us know more about the different retainers so for those that enjoy the RP aspects of the game, to whatever degree, might better find a retainer that fit in with their character.

Unfortunately, it wasn't to be. There was a reply to the effect of "if enough people show interest then maybe", but for now all we have is what we have; What they look like and that first statement that they make when we are introduced to them.

So, who did you choose? Any particular reason why? Were there any that you specifically disliked?

This can be for your main or for each character on your account. Just curious.

For me, in rough order:

I chose Sirin. Yes, she was shy/nervous, but that was okay. She does seem abnormally small, though.

Callum clipped. His hands and the bottom of his shirt had issues. Also: Didn't like his hair.
Forem was okay, but maybe too laid back. I mean "Everyone here is great, take who you want and you will be fine" isn't exactly selling himself, you know? Even shy Sirin managed to say "I can do the job". Forem just managed "Everyone can do the job".
Nikla and Fanella were too cocky.
Maelys was too flirty.

So Sirin was my #1, with Callum and Forem probably sharing the #2 slot. The Fanella and Nikla at #4-5, and Maelys would be #6 for me.

Comments

• nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    I rotated through over 13 characters so far. I chose based on what I imagined was the retainer with the most appropriate personality for each of the characters. None of the dragonborn characters got Callum because I feel he is a fop and that they would simply have eaten him. The characters that took Sirin I imagined saw something in her that felt like she was a good fit. Basically, the same is true for all of them and the retainers I picked for them.

This is the most RP'ing I have done in this game, ever.
  • aslan3775aslan3775 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 295 Arc User
    I did the same--matched the retainer with my toon's personality, but Sirin didn't match any of my toons so she got the boot.

I did enjoy the RP aspect of it, and I was hoping that it would continue through at least the storyline, if not the game play. So far, it doesn't really look like it does, other than the voice.
  • karvarekarvare Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    I took Maelys, because of the flirting.
  • chivonicachivonica Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    On the one character I ran through the tutorial I chose the shy one. Not doing crafting atm but if/when I do she will get the opportunity to shine. Any of the women would have done truthfully just preference when staring at screen for long periods.

My RP is limited to jumping around like a fool and shouting things at Tiamat in rando q. Oh and I declared one of my characters as The Mistress of the Flame while dancing in a lit brazier waiting for someone to respawn and catch up. Yeeeeh don't ask =)
    @chivonica I tend to sleep in braziers.
  • grrowler#0622 grrowler Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    definitely nikla - wow he is so hot. i was hoping they would use his voice for all the follow-up narratives. if we have to work in this crafting workshop, I would at least like to have something good to look at. if only I could put him to work in the smithy.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    Forem.
    He just seemed......
    Competent.
    Also, he's clearly Sgt. Knox in disguise, so, he's got that going for him.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • daniloslvdaniloslv Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    Also took Sirin. She was the only one that actually showed being fit for the job (She worked for another crafter).
    Leliana - Healer DC
    Leliana C.W. - Opressor CW
    Lelian O.P. - Bulwark Paladin
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    I have five toons and picked five different retainers because I wanted to hear the different voice acting. Sadly, I heard audio only on the first toon I did the quests for. No audio when I did the quest on other toons. What a let down.
  • blodvernblodvern Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 32 Arc User
    Forem - the more focused, not overly self-confident or arrogant, seemed to me the best as a leader ... :)
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    Siren
  • rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    My 4 choices so far (still have to chose the last one)

Got Sirin art my main (GWF) because i run with "High General" title (the only proffession title that have some sence) and i felt that she need some confidence and a General could help her to bring it up...XD

I got Nikla for my GF because i run with a "winter" style armor and a Yety pet the voice actor felt to match with that...

Got Forem for CW because a wizard would chose the calm and wise one

Got Maelys on my HR because of the chult acent and the flirting, i would have left that for a TR but i dont play that class

I didn't had enough will power to run the starter quest on my OP yet XD.

is a pity they dont have more voice active lines . . .
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    Fayla or whatever her name was.

I am a sucker for redheads.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    I choose Maelys, because she called my character beautiful (which, my main is very beautiful).
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    I picked Maelys because I like her voice. After the initial dialogs, the retainer becomes entirely generic anyway, so their "personality" doesn't mean anything. The choice needs to come down to whether you can stand looking and listening to them for the rest of your gaming experience on that character. To me, I chose Maelys - she and Forem are the closest thing to diversity in the bunch, after all, since the Devs decided to go all humans-only on us there and I didn't want to look at some old bald dude for the rest of my game...
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
    I took Sirin also on my main.

Her shyness, and stuttering were endearing to me, as I was shy growing up.
    Plus, I loved her outfit :)
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    kvet said:

... since the Devs decided to go all humans-only on us there...

I suggested them adding a single Dwarf, Elf, Half-Orc, and Halfling, with two males and two females between them (something like male Dwarf and and Elf, female Half-Orc and Halfling, for example), even at the cost of two of the existing options, but again, not to be.

Asterdahl responded, but it didn't seem quite like the answer was really to what I suggested; It was like "Since there wasn't room for a diverse set of every race, we decided to only include a diverse set of Humans".

So we got what we got. I just don't understand why anyone would feel that leaving out all Elves and Dwarves and whatever was better than not offering as full a variety of those choices as they offered with Human choices.

• chivonicachivonica Member Posts: 97 Arc User

Lol before I posted that I spelt it wrong and went to check the difference. Now I got this image of you sleeping in your wife's brassiers or brassiere. Are you sure you got the spelling right? :p
    edited November 2018
    chivonica said:

Lol before I posted that I spelt it wrong and went to check the difference. Now I got this image of you sleeping in your wife's brassiers or brassiere. Are you sure you got the spelling right? :p
    Yes, I am sure: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazier

More pictures: https://www.google.com/search?q=brazier&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVx9SlktfeAhWHo4MKHZ4eCDcQ_AUIDigB&biw=1280&bih=579