test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

RIP Professions

mutanttoemutanttoe Member Posts: 2 Arc User
4 days now and each day I get up thinking: "OK today I'm going to put in the work and make some progress on this new workshop stuff." and each day after 30-60 mins of really trying to track down the info, needed mats and tools I get to a point where I say "This sucks! It is so not worth the effort." and give up.

The Commission credit person's inventory always clanging making your gathering the day earlier pointless because what you gathered items for to craft she no longer buys.
The fact that you can't even find out what you can make that she will buy unless you somehow memorize the 100's of items she has that day and go back and look though the items you can make.
Gathering low level mats now doesn't just cost time but has failure chances and costs money.
All my epic tools and items are now turned into credits that I have no idea what to spend them on so all the AD and Zen spent in the past might get wasted on some item that ends up being useless for me.

I hope these things eventually get fixed but for now I'm calling professions/workshop a dead end. Time to go find something else to spend time on.

Comments

• kotoamatzukamikotoamatzukami Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    *thumbs up*

There's not much to add to that.
    I don't know what the official reasoning behind the profeesion changes was, but if it's the regular "we wanted to make it easier for new players" I think it's safe to say it's absolute bulls***.

Professions have never been more hostile to get into.

Previously, if you wanted to level e.g. jewelcrafting, you never had to get out of that profession (at least until lvl 25). Plus, you could do it from anywhere you wanted to.

Now, you have to do gathering + the one you actually want to do. And since you can't access gathering from outside (at least i haven't figured how to do it; if I'm wrong on that one, pls correct me), you have to get back to the workshop all the time.

To me, this change is a complete failure.
  • dafrca#4810 dafrca Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    While I understand they were going for a "game within a game" thing, overall I dislike this new profession thing quite a bit. :-(
  • pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User

The professions rework is quite obviously not intended to make crafting interesting or overly viable for anyone other than Mastercrafters. Even for Masterwork crafters, there will be a big chunk of expense and time spent on the new system just to get back to 'almost as effective' as they were before.

Cryptic was pretty clear in the Preview thread that they don't feel professions is something they want most people doing. If you are posting masterwork items on the AH to make other people grind AD to buy them, then you're okay for crafting. If you are casually trying to do something interesting with your character to break up the daily grind, then crafting is no longer for you.

What a HAMSTER insult to your player base. We don't want you playing our game so we will make it as crappy as possible?

More and more I am just wondering why I am still playing. Both my daughters stopped, mostly I just don't have anything better do to with my time right now but I have been looking at other games.

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Make stuff. Stockpile it. Hope for a day when Begum will ask for what you have.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • frontline2042frontline2042 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Stockpile raw materials and use your free "finish now" stuff to make what she wants?
    Ignorance is an obstacle not an excuse
    Let the stupid suffer
  • vextrixyvextrixy Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    My problem with it is all I ever get for artisan job applications are alchemists when I could really use a tailor or blacksmith or something. Only alchemists are looking for jobs I guess.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    Don't try to memorize her list.

Look at it, identify a couple of items in whatever craft(s) you are strongest at, and make a few of those items.
  • tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User

Don't try to memorize her list.

Look at it, identify a couple of items in whatever craft(s) you are strongest at, and make a few of those items.

For what purpose ?
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    Well, the list eventually repeats and if you craft something she no longer wants, just wait a few days until she wants it again.

The benefits of getting to rank 3 and 4 are somewhat limited, though. You get more spaces in your delivery box, a better looking chandelier in the workshop and a higher chance of random blue/purple applicants. That's all.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User
    IMHO it's a waste of time unless you want to play a different game called NeverCraft.
    It's not easy, it takes a lot of time, the catalog of materials and items is too long: I hate scrolling an UI more than twice.
    The workshop should be based on configuration files for each item (parts list and bill of material) to enable (in particular but not only) traceability during all the crafting activities.
    For item A, I need B and C, but C must be crafted with D and E and so on: this process is time consuming and not efficient if not well organized.

Finally the cost to upgrade the workshop from 3 to 4 is too high if the benefits are taken into account.
    I would like the MW recipes to be account wide when unlocked.

Oltreverso guild leader
    Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF
  • daynay63daynay63 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I have to admit, I hate crafting I can not afford it lol.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User

For what purpose ?

For the sake of simplicity?

If, for example, I see "Wolfskin Hood" and "Wolfskin Cowl" on her buy list and I am doing a lot of leatherworking, then I know that I can make those items and I don't need to worry about any of the dozens of other items. If I do not have any tailors or artificers in my crew then why would I want to memorize those things?

Besides, if knowing the entire list is important to someone then why don't they just write things down? If she cycles the same list every few days then you will not only have a permanent resource to see what she wants to have crafted on any given day, but you will be able to identify which items she will want in the future and you can craft accordingly.
  • nathanjmnathanjm Member Posts: 103 Arc User

Besides, if knowing the entire list is important to someone then why don't they just write things down?

Back in the day, I drew out maps of computer RPGs I played on graph paper. I now appreciate that 98% of games (looking at you Etrian Odyssey) now have an auto-map. I don't want to have a spreadsheet up on a second monitor to play NW -- for lists of professions, or even comparing profession applicant(s) against each other and existing artisans.

Computers are best used to take care of the drudgery. These new professions have added more -- and unnecssary -- drudgery.
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    edited November 2018

Now, you have to do gathering + the one you actually want to do. And since you can't access gathering from outside (at least i haven't figured how to do it; if I'm wrong on that one, pls correct me), you have to get back to the workshop all the time.

You are not wrong. You cannot cancel or assign Gathering tasks unless you are in the workshop. You can collect the deliveries without going there, but you can only do this once you complete the quest "A Box for Knox" - and that applies to deliveries from the actual crafters, too.

Personally, I like the new professions system. However, I like it for a completely perverse reason: It has reduced the time I spend on crafting/professions from 2 hours per day to almost nothing. I used to do crafting on 17 characters to make stuff for my guild. Now I'm only crafting +1 Aquamarines so that I can make +1 Aquamarine Rings to give to guildies and alliance members to help them get workshop level 3. Eventually, I might do Gathering on all those characters in order to provide Profession Resources (formerly "Labor") to my guild, but I'm actually going to work somewhat diligently to avoid even that. If I manage that, it means the only thing I'll use professions for is Crates of Astral Diamonds for my guild. So yeah, I'm bordering on deliriously happy with the new professions system, which is kind of depressing when you think about it.
  • aillas24aillas24 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    The rip off on crafting, designed purely to squeeze more money out of users, notwithstanding what they state; Is simply appalling. Having bought 36 grandmaster crafters per character (minimum as more than one profession) that cost me millions of AD, they junk them with useless vouchers that cannot be converted into AD. Similarly the ingredients needed to craft under the old system cannot be exchanged for AD that in the main were bought with AD. Scandalous, motivated by greed. I am now looking around for another game.
    nathanjm said:

Besides, if knowing the entire list is important to someone then why don't they just write things down?

Back in the day, I drew out maps of computer RPGs I played on graph paper. I now appreciate that 98% of games (looking at you Etrian Odyssey) now have an auto-map. I don't want to have a spreadsheet up on a second monitor to play NW -- for lists of professions, or even comparing profession applicant(s) against each other and existing artisans.

Computers are best used to take care of the drudgery. These new professions have added more -- and unnecssary -- drudgery.
    LOL... I ended up pulling up Excel and started inputting stuff in it to try and keep track since I did now want to have to keep walking back and forth between benches in the shop and when I was moving things back and forth between alts. AND I HATE IT! I really loath the new system. It just rubs me the wrong way, annoys me, frustrates me, etc. I just don't understand why a game developer would want to extract those emotions from their paying player base.

• pakatapoespakatapoes Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    In chat somebody said * wow 500.000 from 2 to lvl your shop to 3 * and someone else said * wait till you want to go from 3 to lvl 4 , its 5 million * . Yep, it feels like I am on the ground in pain and cryptic keep kicking me
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    Meriella Begum is now rename as Merry Bedumb.

just found out, craft rotations is 5 days cycle. craft what you can and stockpile until it open for next sale and earn credits.

right now, it is 2 days on fishbone glue, then tmw, i guess it would be "strong sleeping potion" or next day.
  • methuselasmethuselas Member Posts: 275 Arc User

If I manage that, it means the only thing I'll use professions for is Crates of Astral Diamonds for my guild.

Please tell me where you found "Crates of Astral Diamonds" under the new professions, 'cos I haven't found it and if it's only for "Masterwork" it completely defeats the point, don't you think? I'm not wasting the paltry AD I get now from heroic encounters and it IS paltry in comparison to salvage, to up my stronghold.

• methuselasmethuselas Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    aillas24 said:

The rip off on crafting, designed purely to squeeze more money out of users, notwithstanding what they state; Is simply appalling. Having bought 36 grandmaster crafters per character (minimum as more than one profession) that cost me millions of AD, they junk them with useless vouchers that cannot be converted into AD. Similarly the ingredients needed to craft under the old system cannot be exchanged for AD that in the main were bought with AD. Scandalous, motivated by greed. I am now looking around for another game.

PREACH! I had 54 Heroes, 48 Grandmaster Alchemists and a whole slew of others, but I got HAMSTER for my "Legacy" Artisans. Out of 6 toons, only ONE got a purple that was worth a HAMSTER.

• mdarkangel#4696 mdarkangel Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    > @methuselas said:
    > Please tell me where you found "Crates of Astral Diamonds" under the new professions,

Level 70 Gathering
  • feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    I agree there are a lot of problems with it. The commission list should not change. It should also be searchable. So should materials lists. They should also be sorted by profession. They pretty much just dumped all the materials, sorted apparently by level, into one list and said, "Enjoy your migraine!"

But doing commissions isn't that hard if you had old materials to turn in to your retainer. Just show up in the morning, figure out what you can make to sell that day, and exhaust your morale points making that item. Repeat until upgraded.

It's a bad system but since they put so much work into creating this dungheap, it's the dungheap we've got a for a good long while.
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User

If I manage that, it means the only thing I'll use professions for is Crates of Astral Diamonds for my guild.

Please tell me where you found "Crates of Astral Diamonds" under the new professions, 'cos I haven't found it and if it's only for "Masterwork" it completely defeats the point, don't you think? I'm not wasting the paltry AD I get now from heroic encounters and it IS paltry in comparison to salvage, to up my stronghold.

It's a level 70 Gathering task.
    what i see now, it prevents bots. seem better than nothing. but still, too bloated. i prefer universal crafting.
    wylonus said:

what i see now, it prevents bots. seem better than nothing. but still, too bloated. i prefer universal crafting.

Never underestimate bot builders.
    Pit, i do agree with you, they always can find the ways, so many times.