test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Serious question -- what's with all the jumping?

hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
edited November 2018 in General Discussion (PC)
While I'm waiting for the cooldown on my Beholder Pinata I figured I'd ask a question. There's a player behavior that I occasionally see that has me scratching my head. Every once in a while, there's someone who jumps around constantly while fighting. This isn't just your normal run-of-the-mill jumping, this is jumping as if all of Toril is a griddle and they're wearing bacon shoes. This is jumping more than Mario did on the triple bouncer elevator screen in Donkey Kong.

_t_s _E_I_U_ _u_p_n_.
I_'_ S_R_O_S j_m_i_g_

So...why the jumping? Is jumping a thing? Is this an actual mechanic? A habit from some other game? (I assume not from Donkey Kong, though as a retro gaming fan I could appreciate that). An exotic symptom of OCD? A keyboard stress test? Someone lose a bet? I've been playing since early Mod 2 and it's got me stumped. I mean, picture the absurdity of someone wearing an 80-pound suit of full plate jumping up and down -- a PnP DM would slap him with encumbrance and fatigue rules in a microsecond. Someone please enlighten me.

Oh yeah. I'm out of pinatas -- again -- and no sash. :angry:
Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured

Comments

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    PvPers do it to make themselves harder to be targeted. I just assume they carry it over to their PvE fights.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • aixis2000aixis2000 Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    ^ not needed in pve but practising skills never is a waste of time
  • vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    Certain powers and artifact animations can be shortened (or allow you to land correctly on the artifact symbol, or land in the midst of monsters) with jumping and/or dodge animations.
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
  • someonediessomeonedies Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    This nonetheless also means the tactical powers have to cancel all other powers. If Rogues need to dodge, they can’t wait for Duelist’s Flurry to end. A GF might find themselves in a red zone while casting Into the Fray and needs to raise the shield immediately. So cancelling powers is an absolute intended behavior of the game engine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml-mbogvaxY
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,184 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    For GWF, it seems for the first hit, jumping (a smack down) give you more damage than not jumping (a swing up).
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    -Some people seem to think it makes them move slightly faster. It might actually do that, if only fractionally, from what I've seen. I just don't have the patience to try the experiment with a stop watch. I DO know that quite a number of large-ish other games have had systems where Jumping did give you a speed boost. I was told this by several people I've known over the years who do this.
    -Others that the default 'run' animation looks silly. They told me this when I asked them about it.
    -A few, it's just a thing they do (see 'Car Hopping' in Secret World Legends). I tend to do this sometimes, myself, just to see how much 'air' my D.C. can get off a set of steps.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • tremeliques#2035 tremeliques Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    for me there's 2 main reasons, it gives my hands something to do so that they don't stay still and it also makes the screen have more movement, something that my eyes like more then the stale walking animation.
    if u r a gwf and u jump u ll do the final hit of sure strike that does more dmg that can also be a reason but its not that much important.
    it could also be a habit from other games just like the scoreboard check habit.
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    For me as a Cw jumping allows me to repostion out of red areas without wasting stamina or a dodge needlessly .. and moving a few feet instead of a huge dodge distance that could put me in another red areas or out of a buff circle

also the faster your movement rate is the more effective this "method" is oh and yes its also a carry over from my pvp days

also helps to exercise jumping thumb to stay in shape
  • shoziku222shoziku222 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    kalina311 said:

For me as a Cw jumping allows me to repostion out of red areas without wasting stamina or a dodge needlessly .. and moving a few feet instead of a huge dodge distance that could put me in another red areas or out of a buff circle

the jump is not necessary. just run in a direction. Jumping doesn't propel you in any direction but up because of game physics. Your directional arrow is what is repositioning you. Jumping forward will take you the same distance as walking forward.
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited November 2018

kalina311 said:

the jump is not necessary. just run in a direction. Jumping doesn't propel you in any direction but up because of game physics. Your directional arrow is what is repositioning you. Jumping forward will take you the same distance as walking forward.
    YOU ARE WRONG ... there is hang time in the air where you can change you mind/ make a correction / direction and also chose to teleport/ move a different direction while in mid air ( only skilled players can do this) ...also there is a cw feats that adds movement the more you dodge as well

this is also perhaps easier on the Pc then xbox or ps4 that could be the issue

also with some powers you are rooted on the spot unless you are jump casting
    a good example is ray of frost you are root if you use the at will however if you jump cast and give a micro pulse of it it can proc all you boon and HAMSTER / give stacks ...and you can still keep moving/ repostioning ..its not all about the moment/ jumping per say it is also about fluid casting

also in pvp the key to my cw success in pvp was jump dodging and casting at the same time as well also being you have more air hang time before hitting the ground .. to deak and fake out an opponent and suddenly dodge in mid air to a different direction comboed with the jump .. I would not expect a non pvp vet to understand/ implement this

so dont try and tell me walking accomplishes the same thing....

jumping/ over aiming up also allows to target taller opponents hitboxes that are being blocked by smaller ones in the heat of battle especially if you are not hard of soft target locking ..also a concept that perhaps eludes you

please dont try to "school" me on jumping after 1300+ posts
    Post edited by kalina311 on
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    All the "Tiggers" better hope I never have a hand in making a game. Excessive jumping will only cause a lot of broken ankles.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    I haven't seriously PvP'd in like 2 years and I STILL find myself reflexively jump-dodging from time to time!
  • hawkeyelhawkeyel Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    I blame most of it on Kris Kross.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    hawkeyel said:

Of course, you can never underestimate the influence of Van Halen or Third Eye Blind...........

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • jandemannjandemann Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 46 Arc User
    jorifice1 said:

hawkeyel said:

Of course, you can never underestimate the influence of Van Halen or Third Eye Blind...........
    And let's not forget House of Pain either ;)
    Angry Inch lvl 70 OP and his NOT SO merry band of other Angry Campfire Hero toons
    Starks Alliance