test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lockbox Changes!

nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
Greetings Adventurers!

Lockboxes have been updated across all platforms. You can read all the details on the New Opportunities Lockbox (PC) and the Reborn Lockbox (Console) in the latest Developer Blog.

We are always looking for feedback so please let us know what your thoughts are on the changes!

Comments

• ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    And..... I don't get it. You still can get junk worth little.
  • russelguppy#7025 russelguppy Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    So only 3 legendary mounts from the Reborn lockbox, less choice if we do get anything "really good" and no more chances for the Dragonborn race. Really not sure what you hoped to achieve with this rollout. Sure get rid of the old boxes within boxes mechanic but to reduce choice of what we get when winning big isn't going to make people buy zen to get keys. Woukd carry on with Glorious Resurgence ones but after 4 days straight of Adventure packs I'm gonna keep the rest of my GR boxes to sell for a fortune later on and go back to opening earlier boxes methinks. It's a massive pass for me.
  • rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    i'm predicting the box trader will com back in some event...
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    Will the changes to the Reborn Lockbox with every new module change existing Reborn Lockboxes?

I mean, if I get a hundred of these that I do not open when a new module comes along and the contents of the Reborn Lockbox change, will the contents of those hundred Reborn Lockboxes that I already had change as well?

I am thinking yes, just want to be sure.

Also, while I think that the new opening window is an improvement in terms of visuals, if you replace that Deep Crow Hatchling with a random rank 8 Runestone it probably wouldn't pack the same punch.

I absolutely like the session rewards bar, though.
    Really nice to be able to see everything that I got in a single window.
  • forumnamesuxsforumnamesuxs Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 490 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    ghoulz66 said:

Yes, but now you can get the same junk, more slowly, and you can't save RP boxes for 2x Enchant/Runestone/whatever events.
    Wolves, big as a horse! I need new pants!

• fluffy6977fluffy6977 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    Realistically refinement was the only saving grace of lockboxes in terms of cost vs. benefits. New lockboxes no longer benefitting from 2x enchants events and a decreased top tier pool is a pretty hefty shift in the not worth opening directions. Not sure what you thought the benefit of this change would be, but looks like yet another instance of wasted developer time on this mod.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited November 2018

ghoulz66 said:

Yes, but now you can get the same junk, more slowly, and you can't save RP boxes for 2x Enchant/Runestone/whatever events.

this is soooo bad. before the packs more or less could fund the key. don't like the pack don't open it.. sell it.. now you have no choice. and most likely zero profit in using key. massive pass for me too. I will be opening old boxes only from now on. I just spent over a million ad on various lockboxes. I'm set. lol. I just opened three of the new lockbox and the rewards would not pay for the keys. there was a slight chance of that before with some packs but at least they were worth holding on to the contents to resell at a later date usually.
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    At first I thought this would be bad. After opening up a few I like this change. No more hoarding the boxes with the LB for refinement, etc... Overall, the awards seem better IMO. Just in my first box I got 5 comp tokens, a superior mark and blood ruby.

Hopefully the chance a legendary loot (Mount, Artifact, Companion (maybe in future LB), etc... have been increased.

I wish all of the prior LB would have been updated with these changes, it seems much better IMO overall.
  • spelldazerspelldazer Member Posts: 315 Arc User
    This is clearly a change to adapt to new legislation around the world to do with loot crates = gambling. I guess Legal dept. thinks this is something the company can safely run. I never buy keys and never will. It's still a game of chance and now the ROI is worse IMHO. I doubt I will use my daily key on this box. Would rather take my chances with other lockboxes that are far less likely to give me drops I neither want nor need.
    Legendary Orcus shard dropped to 210k ad on xbox. Legendary tools at 750k and dropping. This box is a joke.
  • xrawcarnagexrawcarnage Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    If people are worried about not being able to hoard the individual boxes for double stones then don't pop boxes until double stones. easy as that. Save up your keys and what not until double stones then rip boxes. Also plenty of glorious boxes in circulation and I don't see them going away for years. The only reason that veteran box openers wont open Glorious boxes is if they make something exclusive to new box that is very valuable or BIS for all. Most of us will continue to pop Glorious.

As far as it goes to only having 3 options in the new legd pack I'm fine with this. They added 2 very good mounts so as long as they keep that up then all good.

my biggest issue with the new box is how slow it is to open them. I like that we used to have the option to spam them. I do however really like the design and the graphics for the box. Kudos to the devs who did this!

EDIT. just read the devs don't like that we were stocking up and holding the individual boxes for double stones so they made this new system so we cant benefit from the event. meaning that opening up the new boxes during double stones will not give us double stones from these boxes!
    Post edited by xrawcarnage on
  • jeremytheman232jeremytheman232 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Played since release opened hundreds of dollars worth of keys b4 a few months ago i got my first leg (swarm). This new box i opend a single key and got the leg pack. Wish it had better mounts for pallys tho lol
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    Only issue I have, starting last night I could not see the pop-up for the lockboxes being opened. All I get is the stuff in my inventory and the ones down on the bottom right corner.
    Leg mount packs dropping like crazy. Wish there was a pally friendly mount tho. Black ice would be nice.
  • juergeng123juergeng123 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    you took away the value of the LB keys. If you are not luckey to get a high drop like mount or companion. than you get nothing in comparison to the old system. or did you mean 5 companion tokens, 1 rank 8 enchantment and 5 blue saphire are a good value for one LB key?
    Schließe dich meiner Gilde Valindras Fear an Gildenhalle 20 Marktplatz 9 Stall 9 Kasserne 9, Entdeckergilde 9
    Join my guild Valindras Fear GH20 Marketplace 9 Stable 9 Barracs 9 Explorer Guild 9
    legendary mounts drop like crazy from the new box??!?!? for who lol I've been blasting this box since it dropped and nothing of value at all! 1 UES and 2 leg Orcus shards that don't even come close to the amount I have put into this box. Value of these 2 items are at an all time low and not even worth posting at this point. refinement is a dime a dozen now and that is all I have gotten lol I am tapped out 100%!

Played since release opened hundreds of dollars worth of keys b4 a few months ago i got my first leg (swarm). This new box i opend a single key and got the leg pack. Wish it had better mounts for pallys tho lol

T-Rex is a nice mount. Power and Arm Pen and a 10% debuff. Not bad for any character.
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    I'm reserving my final judgement until I see a comprehensive check on drop rates for the new box.

As it stands, this was clearly another shot at cutting down the amount of RP coming in to the game. The devs made a point to state that the new lockboxes don't work with double events.

That makes their value significantly lower than older LBs unless the drop rates have been improved to make up for the loss of potential RP/income.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the initial joy people are feeling right now over the leggie box, and shards dropping left and right is quickly quelled by a ninja nerf to drop rates. Sort of how they improved dungeon droprates and everyone was happy for a few weeks before most people started saying "things don't seem to be dropping as much anymore".
  • k272t#1665 k272t Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited November 2018

Greetings Adventurers!

Lockboxes have been updated across all platforms. You can read all the details on the New Opportunities Lockbox (PC) and the Reborn Lockbox (Console) in the latest Developer Blog.

We are always looking for feedback so please let us know what your thoughts are on the changes!

I usually see quite alot of lockbox drops while running my quests, I have not seen 1 lockbox drop over the last few days, for example, today I have done my Stronghold quests, the 5 heroics , killed well over 100 mobs just there and not 1 lockbox drop, whereas I would have gained at least 5. I then went to Well of Dragond and did my dailies there , again not 1, just did Protecting the Portal weekly and again not 1 lockbox drop

Lorakahn@k272t#1665

• k272t#1665 k272t Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    I usually see quite alot of lockbox drops while running my quests, I have not seen 1 lockbox drop over the last few days, for example, today I have done my Stronghold quests, the 5 heroics , killed well over 100 mobs just there and not 1 lockbox drop, whereas I would have gained at least 5. I then went to Well of Dragond and did my dailies there , again not 1, just did Protecting the Portal weekly and again not 1 lockbox drop

Ive been seeing nothing but the new leg packs dropping on xbox one. I have been trying to sell or trade mine and value keeps dropping as ppl are pulling them so often. Ive saw 5 plus times itll pop back to back legs. Idk what console ur on but xbox one they are dropping frequently.
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    Without knowing how many keys people are using you are just guessing that the Leg packs are dropping frequently.

There may be a lot of them in circulation but that doesn't mean that they are dropping frequently. Could be people are popping 1000s of keys as they are prone to do when a new LB drops. It does seem frequent but the admin messages are not exactly a good way to judge frequency.

And I'm on XB and leg mount prices seem to be exactly where they were weeks ago to me.

Also, like someone else said above, lockboxes seem to be dropping a lot less frequently. The first day the new LB dropped it took me almost 30 minutes to get my first one to drop despite killing things left and right.
    you all are only seeing the leg packs drop cause the epic admins from the reborn LB don't pop up anymore. So you are only seeing the legendary admin message making it appear they are dropping more frequently when in reality the drop rates are the same. That's my outlook on this.

Blasted through a bunch more last night and only rp. I think they have given more rp in this box to compensate for them making the box not giving double stones on that event. Refinement heaven from this box big time.

Without knowing how many keys people are using you are just guessing that the Leg packs are dropping frequently.

There may be a lot of them in circulation but that doesn't mean that they are dropping frequently. Could be people are popping 1000s of keys as they are prone to do when a new LB drops. It does seem frequent but the admin messages are not exactly a good way to judge frequency.

And I'm on XB and leg mount prices seem to be exactly where they were weeks ago to me.

Also, like someone else said above, lockboxes seem to be dropping a lot less frequently. The first day the new LB dropped it took me almost 30 minutes to get my first one to drop despite killing things left and right.

The game is moving more away from players being able to generate thousands to millions of AD from the game from AH sales. This makes it harder for players to acquire AD and this drops the zen exchange. Working as intended.

As the zen exchange prices drop Cryptic/PWE will earn more real world revenue off players who are swapping zen for AD. Right now if a player buys AD they are getting 500 AD for 1 Zen. A player putting $100 into the game gets 11,000 zen. This results in them swapping that 11,000 zen for 5,500,000 AD. Now if the exchange was 350 AD to 1 Zen or lower than it would take the player more zen to reach that 5,500,000. Player buying their way into the game and using the AD to improve IL will end up paying more towards reaching their goal with their character than they would today if the zen exchange rate is lower. This is why the Cryptic/PWE want the exchange rate around 350 or less as they earn more money; they also know if it drops below that than players are less likely to buy zen and exchange for AD; this is why they are aiming for a 300-350 range for zen exchange as that is the most profitable range for them.

With that said the devs needs to drop our ability to generate AD and swap the AD to Zen and this includes changes to salvage, RAD refinement limits, drop rates, LB changes, etc... everything is about getting the zen exchange lower so they earn more.

If the devs do reach their goal of dropping the zen exchange and limiting our ability to generate AD through refinement or other means, they need to improve the game this includes fixing bugs, actually balancing out the classes, and maybe consider increasing drop rates of legendary items from the LBs.
  • qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User

The game is moving more away from players being able to generate thousands to millions of AD from the game from AH sales. This makes it harder for players to acquire AD and this drops the zen exchange. Working as intended.

As the zen exchange prices drop Cryptic/PWE will earn more real world revenue off players who are swapping zen for AD. Right now if a player buys AD they are getting 500 AD for 1 Zen. A player putting $100 into the game gets 11,000 zen. This results in them swapping that 11,000 zen for 5,500,000 AD. Now if the exchange was 350 AD to 1 Zen or lower than it would take the player more zen to reach that 5,500,000. Player buying their way into the game and using the AD to improve IL will end up paying more towards reaching their goal with their character than they would today if the zen exchange rate is lower. This is why the Cryptic/PWE want the exchange rate around 350 or less as they earn more money; they also know if it drops below that than players are less likely to buy zen and exchange for AD; this is why they are aiming for a 300-350 range for zen exchange as that is the most profitable range for them.
    On PC, the backlog on the ZAX at time of writing is 29Million @ 1 Zen= 500AD. While this is slightly distorted by Black Friday being just around the corner, I can't see the exchange rate hitting the 300-350 range any time soon. The backlog should fall quite a bit as a result of Black Friday but I don't see it going away completely in the foreseeable future. So the 500 to 1 exchange rate is probably going to remain the standard for some time.

• mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    qexotic said:

On PC, the backlog on the ZAX at time of writing is 29Million @ 1 Zen= 500AD. While this is slightly distorted by Black Friday being just around the corner, I can't see the exchange rate hitting the 300-350 range any time soon. The backlog should fall quite a bit as a result of Black Friday but I don't see it going away completely in the foreseeable future. So the 500 to 1 exchange rate is probably going to remain the standard for some time.

But... all the rAD acquisition nerfs... I'm sure they were supposed to sort that out?

Just kidding... they'll keep nerfing rAD till it hits a point of critical mass, and then all the nerfs will compound... hopefully they have some sort of parachute in place for the potential crash that will happen at that point.

But back to the topic at hand... I would love to know why another thing that didn't appear to be broken has been "fixed".
    Why?
    Where's the explanation of how and why this is better?

Is it to comply with regional "gambling" legislation and regulations?
    Is it to improve/reduce the chances of hitting "Jackpots"

If it genuinely IS a move to get people more "excited" about opening lockboxes... well... I have to say that I'm personally underwhelmed.

If we can't have packs any more, can someone at least find a way to make companion upgrade tokens into a commodity that can be traded on the AH?
    I have all Legendary companions, and while yeah, one day i might need them again, right now I'd rather sell that HAMSTER to someone who needs it.
  • shwabbashwabba Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    People on xbox need to quit complaining about the new lockboxes. If you read the drastic changes HoF is going to bring, you'll see that these new LB's are helping us to get set up in the new paradigm.
  • nermaleyenermaleye Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    I would just like to say that the drop rate is very low for anything good in the boxes. I would say it is 5% or less to get a rare item. But I will have to agree that I do like the new Items that have been put into them.
    I love to play MMO's & 1st person shooters. An when I am not playing I rebuild & trouble shoot computers.