test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Auto pick up is just stupid and not needed.

Comments

• forumnamesuxsforumnamesuxs Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 490 Arc User

I see a lot more people picking up loot than ignoring loot. The nerve of the devs designing the system for the majority of the players.

Though they do have a quality threshold for loot in party, this does not work while not in a party. So during questing, or any other solo gameplay, everyone have to pick up everything they step on.

Do you feel that it is neccessary for everyone to loot garbage they don't want, just because you want it?
    Wolves, big as a horse! I need new pants!

• heavensake#5599 heavensake Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    vordayn said:

Most basic loot now automatically gets picked up by walking over it……This mean we will now have to keep tossing out junk that clutters inventory like when going to randumb Q and them boooger pickers keep grabbing the “green” gear that i end up getting then have to stop and discard because i have no room useless garbage.

Right click on your portrait and set your loot mode to something higher than green if you don't want the green. Hopefully this also works for solo-play.
    Wish it did work for solo play but sadly not. Really how hard would it have been to have an option to disable auto loot? And how hard was it to pick items up that we wanted before.... But now forced to deal with items that i had no intention on wanting and taking up more time than i care to waste doing so.
    I'm probably the only one who feel so strongly about it, but I'm not playing this mod until they add a fix to this problem. Because that's what it is, a massive PITA problem.

I'm probably the only one who feel so strongly about it, but I'm not playing this mod until they add a fix to this problem. Because that's what it is, a massive PITA problem.

I think the change is only works for newer players or others that have a long ways to go on item level. Yet i feel even for them there are better ways to gather RP and Gold and might be why they are still leveling up for some. Green gear never even used to give any RP yet i managed to do fine without but it is a total pain to have to be tossing out junk now every five minutes. @noworries#8859 do you guys really think that auto loot was a good idea for all and not a major burden for others in the game? Please if able to make a way to disable auto loot yet something says it can not be done as i can not even see the items that drop until they are in my inventory now :(
  • agilestoagilesto Member Posts: 516 Arc User
    One of the few changes we were waiting for since release, and already a call to nerf it.
    NO PLEASE, keep it up.
    Making loot threshold work outside of party is probably the best way to do it. That way those who want that stuff can have it, and the rest of us can every so gently step over it, and walk away.

• lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User

Do you feel that it is neccessary for everyone to loot garbage they don't want, just because you want it?

It's not garbage, it's free Peridots with a couple of clicks.

But you're right in your next post: The correct fix is to make personal loot threshold work when solo, so that you can leave behind all the Peridots and Black Opals you don't want and everyone else can stop needing to click on everything.

when it is 50 and not 5, no way of knowing till its id'd, then you have wasted a scroll

#1: You can tell by Level on the item.
    #2: You can tell by where you picked it up: Unless you're killing trash that's was under your level, it's 50. (admittedly, pretty much the entirety of the Team HAMSTER campaign is underlevel trash, but that's a short-term problem.)
    #3: "wasted a scroll" how do you not have more scrolls than you *can ever* use?
  • quantumffquantumff Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    I absolutely love the autoloot function, and have been playing for years. This sniffy idea that it's only newbies who want it is very silly and elitist.

If anything it's more of a burden for newbies, as they don't have the bags you do, and the ID scroll backlog (plus they keep changing every few levels).

I support the introduction of more granular control for those who don't want the free stuff, but please keep the autoloot too, because it's awesome.
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    My carpel tunnel thanks the devs for this change. OP complaining about bag space? Really? My bags are like 90% empty now that I am not holding on to salvage and many things stack better.
  • krzrsmskrzrsms Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    Yes its pretty badly implemented. They put in a great feature in such a way as to maximize the annoyance of some while placating the fewest possible. All they had to do was put in a preference setting like they do with group auto loot and both sets would have been happy. What a fail.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    I find it awesome. Then again, I have big bags and lots of space lately.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    you guys noticed that we no longer are bombarded with tons of green gear to identify but with more chances for black pearls/aquamarines, this is a plus since i started playing 3years ago, im a loot addict, @noworries#8859 blue main weapons not identified when im solo still need me to press f to pick it up, the need or greed need to be for a party of 2 players or more, also we need a 1 type of identifying scroll (with no level requirements) for all areas of levels
  • tom#6998 tom Member Posts: 952 Arc User
    Pls allow us to turn autoloot off
  • spidey#3367 spidey Member Posts: 400 Arc User
    vordayn said:

Autoloot should have a toggle off/on

Nuff said.
    I wanna decide if i wanna loot all or i dont wanna loot all!!

Spidey
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User

@heavensake#5599 Here's the thing, really: This doesn't change anything for you. It really doesn't. If you run across something and automatically pick it up, it gets rolled on according to the party loot mode. So just because you run across some green sword knot does not mean that sword knot is now in your inventory. Before auto-pick-up, you still ended up rolling (or not) on green sword knots according to party loot mode and your preferences. The only thing this changes is making it faster and easier for people to roll on that stuff and move on with the dungeon. The odds of you winning those rolls is no different than it was before.

As for how long it takes to go around pressing "F" to pick up everything? That actually took a surprising amount of time. Furthermore, it was annoying to end up trying to pick up the same thing someone else was because you'd often end up targeting them and pressing "F", which then took more time to dismiss the menu and attempt again to pick up the item. I've accidentally inspected or attempted to friend many people entirely by accident.

So stop whining about this change. You're going to have the same inventory management problems you have always had. No more, no less. Your inventory management problems are problems that you have caused yourself. This is not our problem and it is not the developers' problem. This change to automatically pick up loot is a huge improvement in quality of life for 95% or more of the players. People like you who hold onto one or two of everything they ever loot are in the vanishingly small minority of the playerbase. Honestly, loot should always have been automatically picked up. If it had been that way from the start, you'd have had nothing to whine about now. Instead, you'd have dealt with your inventory management problem on your own, rather than expecting everyone else to deal with a sub-standard design just because you can't bear to part with any of your "preciouses".

It still affects out of party play, though, which does not have the loot filter.
    So yes, it does affect them. It does. A lot.
    Solution: Kill stuff, then run through the minefield of gear yelling "Slalom, baby!"
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Personally I love the feature - it saves a lot of time, compared to picking everything up manually.

Why would I want to pick everything up anyhow? To convert into gold or RP.

I need every scrap of RP I can get, because of the removal of Leadership.

I need every copper/silver/gold I can get because of the profession changes - I expect my daily expenses to be in the 10-20G range.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    I love autoloot but agree it should be a toggle.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
    To clear up any misunderstandings:
    Auto loot good. Green gear bad.

• micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    If it would have come with auto ID and auto liquidate into RP.... Or perhaps lets cut all this middle HAMSTER, and just drop f'ing RP items instead of the green HAMSTER...

I need green item drops at level 70 like a fish needs an umbrella. And no, this is not RihannaFish.

(And holy HAMSTER, I just figured that that song came out 10 years ago, and before NW)
    edited November 2018
    agilesto said:

My carpel tunnel thanks the devs for this change. OP complaining about bag space? Really? My bags are like 90% empty now that I am not holding on to salvage and many things stack better.

What stacks better? And why would you hold onto salvage rather than salvage it?.... If your bags are empty then you must be doing something wrong. My bags are full of RP and other items that will make me more AD,RP or gold than a few green items would. Oh and maybe your carpel tunnel is from dealing with all the green junk and other trash to begin with.
    What stacks better? Treasures to sell for gold, priceless bowls/
    Why would you hold onto salvage rather than salvage it? Well to get the maximum of the invocation bonus on alts...

I only have about 2/3 of a runic bag of free slots out of maximum possible storage because I'm a hoarder and I keep all artifacts, epic vouchers for GM, stuff to sell later, etc. Yet I'm very happy about this autoloot. Seriously, identifying all + convert everything is 3 clicks and about 3.5 seconds to clean every green item and RP you picked up.

A toggle off/on is not a bad idea, considering that you can still press F to pay respect pick up loot that's not on your threshold. I'd be a fine addition for people like you.

But saying like in title that autoloot "is just stupid and not needed"... Please you're not alone. I was waiting for this for YEARS, now let me enjoy it. I picked up every loot manually for years, your turn to empty your inventory manually now. Even though I agree a toggle would be nice.
    To be honest i was pretty ticked off when i posted this thread. But having an option to turn off auto loot is whats needed. Having to stop and empty bags over and over is very stupid for many end game players and some others. It was bad enough going solo in dungeons having to stop after a boss fight just to dump green gear because there was not room left in inv. But now having to do this outside of dungeons is a total pain. And then i can not even see the items on the ground if i try to get up close to see what it is it gets picked up before any chance to inspect. It is a heck of a lot easier to manually pick up items than it is to get rid of them.
    Post edited by heavensake#5599 on
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    rafaelda said:

Is free RP, if you think is a waste of scroll is free silver, and you (or someone else) will need silver/gold in mod 15...

transmutes for 3 refinement points, or level 30 blue gear for 30 refinement points does seem to be a waste of time for me since as I mentioned the cost of the ID scroll far exceeds the benefit one would get from using a similar amount of AD to buy a Peridot for 50 refinement points in the Mod 14 anyway.

In the new Mod I haven't done any converting yet to know the amount of gold one receives for ID'ing and dropping various levels of gear, but presuming the cost for purchasing ID scrolls (for AD's) stays the same, we're still talking about spending about 125 AD (from the Bazaar or less from the AH) for a lower level ID scroll to get what maybe 50 gold, depending on the item level of the item?

That still doesn't appear to be a real equitable exchange to me... but as you said, more players are going to need gold and since it appears the prevailing opinion is there is a glut of AD's in the game, perhaps this is by design to address both problems, even if it only really works well for those hording AD's and those that have VIP and not so well for players for which none of those preconditions apply to.

vordayn said:

Most basic loot now automatically gets picked up by walking over it……This mean we will now have to keep tossing out junk that clutters inventory like when going to randumb Q and them boooger pickers keep grabbing the “green” gear that i end up getting then have to stop and discard because i have no room useless garbage.

Right click on your portrait and set your loot mode to something higher than green if you don't want the green. Hopefully this also works for solo-play.
    It does not.
    ^This appears to me to be one of the most aggravating problems, what appears to be one of the best suggestions to eliminate the problem of some players accumulating "too much junk" in their inventory, but instead of working everywhere, all the time, it only appears to work in random content.

But perhaps that too is a solution of sorts, instead of complaining about the "auto pick-up", more players should be asking for the same kind of selection designation for gear pick-up in regular content as they seem to have have in random content.

Just a thought.
    DD~
    dionchi said:

we're still talking about spending about 125 AD (from the Bazaar or less from the AH) for a lower level ID scroll to get what maybe 50 gold, depending on the item level of the item?

ID Scrolls do not cost AD. ID scrolls are free and in effectively-infinite supply to anyone who has VIP.
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    pitshade said:

I love autoloot but agree it should be a toggle.

+1 I'll second that.
    lowjohn said:

dionchi said:

we're still talking about spending about 125 AD (from the Bazaar or less from the AH) for a lower level ID scroll to get what maybe 50 gold, depending on the item level of the item?

ID Scrolls do not cost AD. ID scrolls are free and in effectively-infinite supply to anyone who has VIP.
    I'm glad you quantified you statement with "to anyone who has VIP" because that is a very important point to observe.

First of all I kind of doubt many new players will be instantly jumping on the VIP bandwagon when they start playing and before determining if they are actually like the game... so they are excluded.

Secondly not everyone can afford VIP, or cares to purchase VIP for free scrolls to use toward refining points as opposed to better gear, enchantments, etc. with the AD's they have... so they too are excluded.

So in essence what it appears you're talking about, is already established players those currently with sufficient AD's or cash to buy VIP, which is relevant but not so much in a way that would invite new players - and possibly new revenue to the Neverwinter economy.

Eventually those players I mentioned may decide for themselves that VIP is not only a good option but one that tends to pay for itself if used intelligently, but until then they like the bulk of players I presume will either have to rely on the scrolls they can pick up, or decide whether or not to use AD's they could use for other things to buy scrolls and given the current amount of refinement points they get for dropping low level gear I kind of doubt anyone will be consider doing something like that often or repeatedly. At least until they level up sufficiently to make it worth one's while.

Just my 2¢
    DD~
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Infinite supply to VIP? No. You get 25 daily per character on the account, bound to that character.

I ID far more than 25 items when running on a character.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    dionchi said:

Secondly not everyone can afford VIP, or cares to purchase VIP for free scrolls to use toward refining points as opposed to better gear, enchantments, etc. with the AD's they have... so they too are excluded.

VIP is the best use of AD in the game, bar none. Spending AD on things that aren't VIP while you don't have VIP is a waste of AD. You're a lowbie looking for easy gear ups? That VIP lockbox daily key is better than any enchant you buy on the market.
    greywynd said:

Infinite supply to VIP? No. You get 25 daily per character on the account, bound to that character.

I ID far more than 25 items when running on a character.

I often break 25 in a long play session, but I don't play every character every day and I *do* collect the free scrolls/"rerolls" on every character every day.

I haven't run out of bound ID scrolls on any character in at least 3 years, without selling the scrolls first. And in the rare edge cases where I can run out (I sold a rolled-over stack of 999 then went adventuring with the leftover 5), I have more than enough UNBOUND ones waiting to be used today because that stack hasn't reached 999 and gone on the AH yet.