test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to Achieve Higher DPS

xnewyorkhardcorexnewyorkhardcore Member Posts: 141 Arc User
I have an 18k GWF (Swordmaster)

Recently I played with another GWF whose stats were lower than mine in every category (literally every category listed on char sheet), yet he achieved roughly 8x the DPS of my char. I had three archons active, Sister Heals, Hidden Daggers (every 8 sec or less), Powerful Challenge, Focussed Destroyer, Wrathful Determination, constantly using Mighty Slam w/ Battle Awareness, activating Soul Sight Crystal and mount power every minute... and just falling farther and farther behind him in DPS. Rank 14 bonding stones, and all rank 13/14 Brutal Ench in companion. Every boon is DPS based.

How the heck is he doing sooo much DMG? Not to mention I never saw him activate a Daily nor an artifact.

I seem to be really low in DPS for my build anyway, but this comparison is absurd. How do I bring my DPS up?

Comments

• gromovnipljesak#8234 gromovnipljesak Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    I can help ya in-game, if you're on PC.

Either way, this is the build you wanna follow mmominds.com/2018/01/23/wickedduck-mod-13-gwf-build/

As a DPS, your DPS relies entirely on timing. You've gotta learn to sync up with your buffers. I'll upload a tong run tomorrow so you can see my run and how I do my timings, however it's gonna take some time to get there.

Your DPS is not about using those self buffs as soon as you can, it's about timing them so you achieve your peak DPS.

Anyways, if yer on PC, just PM me (@thunderclap448) and I'll see what I can help ya with.

It also could be that he got exalt/bane and you didn't, however you still shouldn't deal 8x less DPS.
  • xnewyorkhardcorexnewyorkhardcore Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    Thanks. I'll check out that link and your video when you upload it. I am on PC, so maybe I'll PM you after.

Thanks. I'll check out that link and your video when you upload it. I am on PC, so maybe I'll PM you after.

I'm gonna be on today quite a bit as I have a day off, so ya can PM whenever.

Also, here's the tong run I did - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGrA7RN_Kk0
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User

Recently I played with another GWF whose stats were lower than mine in every category (literally every category listed on char sheet), yet he achieved roughly 8x the DPS of my char. I had three archons active, Sister Heals, Hidden Daggers (every 8 sec or less), Powerful Challenge, Focussed Destroyer, Wrathful Determination, constantly using Mighty Slam w/ Battle Awareness, activating Soul Sight Crystal and mount power every minute... and just falling farther and farther behind him in DPS. Rank 14 bonding stones, and all rank 13/14 Brutal Ench in companion. Every boon is DPS based.

How the heck is he doing sooo much DMG? Not to mention I never saw him activate a Daily nor an artifact.

I seem to be really low in DPS for my build anyway, but this comparison is absurd. How do I bring my DPS up?

If you were running with a AC DC the AC could have been buffing him up over you. The other thing is a OP Devo may have been buffing him as well.

Stats are only part of the equation to damage: you need to have proper companions, enchantments and rotation.

If you were using Daring Shout and he used Battle Fury he gets a very nice DPS increase from BF and you would not get that since you are using Daring Shout.

Also IL means jack in this game if you cannot find the right mixture of everything to produce top end damage.

As for companions: Chult Tiger, Air Archon, Earth Archon, Siege Master and Razorwood should be your companions. If you run with a full group running Tamed Rapture than you use that over the Siege or if you have the Alpha Comply you can use that over Siege in T9 and CoDG otherwise run the Siege Master.

Weapon Enchantments: Lighting/Prom on adds with Fey or Prom on bosses.

Buffs: See above how a DC or OP can improve a player simply by applying a buff on that player where as the other DPS takes a dip in damage.

Bondings: If your active comp is a Fire and your comp is not near the OP and AC DC you will lose some power sharing stats.

Rotation....You need to find one that works for your play style

Most of all other than PVP who cares who is top on the damage board as long as content is being completed in a timely fashion.

For t9 20 minutes or less
    For CR 40 minutes or less
    CoDG under 15 minutes

Other content who cares...

Thanks again for the replies. I'm doing pretty nasty DPS right now, but I'm still looking for a few tweaks.

Are any of the Ravenloft Belts/Necklaces good enough to replace Demogorgon/Baphomet/Orcus set? Are the higher stats enough to offset the set bonus of the latter?
    Definitely not. Flat damage bonuses will always be better than stats. I dunno what's your IL, but in the late or endgame, you run at 250k power.

The set is on average about 10% DPS increase. That's the equivalent of 29k power when you're running at 250k. If you're running with a prot, and have even more power - you can reach 290-300k sometimes too - it increases to about the equivalent of 34k power.

In short, Demo set still BiS.
    Thanks.

Sorry to keep this going but I just ran CN and when the stats popped at the end I saw another GWF had done a hair more DMG. I inspected him and he was about 12k IL, with all rank 7 or 8 enchants and orange artifacts. Wtf?

I'm 18k+, all aggressive insignia bonuses, Demo set, heals of fury, shadowstalker, all rank 40 companions; earth/air/fire, tiger, and razorwood, with all r14 bonding and brutals, 18 Charisma with pretty high combat advantage bonus, boons and feats all aggressive, I always cancel the animation for battle fury, I have slam running nonstop in the mobs, I was near the Pali the whole time (no DC)... It doesn't seem like it should be possible. If that's possible, I'm painfully wasting time upgrading enchants to 14.

I was running Fey, whereas he had Prom, but it can't make up for all the rest. It's just nonsense. There's no accounting for it.

Thanks.

Sorry to keep this going but I just ran CN and when the stats popped at the end I saw another GWF had done a hair more DMG. I inspected him and he was about 12k IL, with all rank 7 or 8 enchants and orange artifacts. Wtf?

I'm 18k+, all aggressive insignia bonuses, Demo set, heals of fury, shadowstalker, all rank 40 companions; earth/air/fire, tiger, and razorwood, with all r14 bonding and brutals, 18 Charisma with pretty high combat advantage bonus, boons and feats all aggressive, I always cancel the animation for battle fury, I have slam running nonstop in the mobs, I was near the Pali the whole time (no DC)... It doesn't seem like it should be possible. If that's possible, I'm painfully wasting time upgrading enchants to 14.

I was running Fey, whereas he had Prom, but it can't make up for all the rest. It's just nonsense. There's no accounting for it.

What weapon are you using? Primal, Visanti, Tryant, etc?

primal
    I don't know, maybe the OP was buffing the heck out of him. Only thing I can make of it.
  • someonediessomeonedies Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,257 Arc User

18k so what? all bis gear has a little IL; orcus, kuino, fearbringers, heels, shadowsring etc.
    this game is all about broken tools and toys(dragonborn fury, AoC etc); IL is not a factor anymore.
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • pakatapoespakatapoes Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    Maybe his/her AP was greater than you , like 100% . When you take 4 swing to get to certain dmg , he/she will swing 2 time and get there.

18k so what? all bis gear has a little IL; orcus, kuino, fearbringers, heels, shadowsring etc.
    this game is all about broken tools and toys(dragonborn fury, AoC etc); IL is not a factor anymore.

Heels are 540 and I think my Shadow Stalker just went up to 560 with last patch. I get what you're saying. Just giving character background. If I said I had a 10k GWF the conversation would be starting elsewhere.

edited November 2018

Heels are 540 and I think my Shadow Stalker just went up to 560 with last patch. I get what you're saying. Just giving character background. If I said I had a 10k GWF the conversation would be starting elsewhere.

let's say that you met a man who has bis equipment, but has no armor kits on gear&pet (that's minus 8x 35IL on gear, minus 3x 35IL on pet gear); also minus 20IL on off-hand, minus IL cuz he only has one mystic artifact; blue insignias; minus 400IL cuz he only has one legendary pet (other Epic/Blue); he only has 2k power mount, etc.
    but he uses Swarm and Decanter/SSCrystal in right time and his rotation is ultimate.

just note IL is not a factor anymore; no doubt he can be 16k.

I apologize for not being word-perfect in English.
    Post edited by someonedies on
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
    Here's a little food for thought for those who believe IL still matters. I know many a 18-19k GWFs. The single best GWF I know was 16.7k until recently. The 2nd best one was 16.4k.

I'm a pretty good GWF - by no means the best but definitely up there. I'm 17.5k. Those 2 Gwiffs could destroy me any time of the day. Ducko and Shoto are ridiculously good. And they don't need IL. All they need is the arp and crit requirement, rest is all skill.
  • rafamarques#5700 rafamarques Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    hmmm... if in your party are buffs and debuffs working on top, the most agressive gwf (or ranger) will aways have some advantage. that is not only about skills, or gears, but personality.

example... active slam (12 secs) in scenarios when the fight take 6 secs is wasting your damage. savage advanced will do 80% of a crescendo damage, but take half of that casting time, filling your determination bar fast enough to active unstoppable and begin your atwill madness (the main source of damage).
    I noticed you are still using the Fire Archon; that is an inferior companion as of mod 12. Since that mod has launched we have had more companions released that makes the Fire Archon less valuable for producing damage vs. other companions. As a GWF if you are marking your targets get the War Boar; if you run with a group running the Tamed Rapture get that companion, if you mainly run Chult conten get the Alpha, for bosses the Barthari is superior to Fire Archon for its constant 5% damage bonus, and if you don't fall into those categories than get the Siege Master.

As for running with a OP Devo; if the OP was buffing the other player with bane that is a 30% damage buff.

If the other GWF was 16K or so and you are at 18K the damage difference is not as great as you would imagine it is why going from a R13 to a R14 is not really worth the cost of upgrading the enchantment; the exception to this rule is for bondings. If the other GWF was around 16K and got bane from the OP; that right there would be why you got beat.

The other thing as well is was your companion, not you, close enough to the OP to get the OP power sharing? Not only do you need yourself near the OP to get their power but you also need your companion near the OP.

No matter what your IL is; there is always going to be someone out damaging you as you can never always be top damage dealer in content. It is part of the game; simply learn to manage what you can control and that is your positioning, your rotation, having the correct stuff to max out your damage, and have fun. The last is the most important factor because if you are not having fun why play.

and have fun. The last is the most important factor because if you are not having fun why play.

indeed.
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪

let's say that you met a man who has bis equipment, but has no armor kits on gear&pet (that's minus 8x 35IL on gear, minus 3x 35IL on pet gear); also minus 20IL on off-hand, minus IL cuz he only has one mystic artifact; blue insignias; minus 400IL cuz he only has one legendary pet (other Epic/Blue); he only has 2k power mount, etc.
    but he uses Swarm and Decanter/SSCrystal in right time and his rotation is ultimate.

I said 10. Just saying.

A 10 k is not going to compete.
    Thanks all. Having fun is in fact the point. :)

Thanks for the War Boar tip, but I rotate Battle Fury, Daggers, IBS, so bosses often don't get marked unless someone else marks them.

The fire archon is adding 8% (below 50%) plus .5% (when not at max) plus another .5% (when I am at max).

I really appreciate all the help everyone!
    edited November 2018

let's say that you met a man who has bis equipment, but has no armor kits on gear&pet (that's minus 8x 35IL on gear, minus 3x 35IL on pet gear)...

So an Action Point Kit--for example--on an active companion's gear will give me AP gain? I had no idea.

edited November 2018

let's say that you met a man who has bis equipment, but has no armor kits on gear&pet (that's minus 8x 35IL on gear, minus 3x 35IL on pet gear)...

So an Action Point Kit--for example--on an active companion's gear will give me AP gain? I had no idea.

It not gives AP gain (anymore), but it boosts your IL.

I said 10. Just saying.

A 10 k is not going to compete.
    I don't know why you take it like this literally; as you see, I said, "let's say", above.

I think it's not so difficult to downgrade char to 10k (with only lesser Sourceforge, Promises and enchants only on Back).

So, if you have IL and nothing else - "Paingiver" is not yours.
    Post edited by someonedies on
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • fogcrowfogcrow Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    From what you´re typing, my impression is your problem might be this: your toolbox can be roughly divided into damage dealing moves and warmup moves(things that improve the damage of what comes after, but their own damage is zero, or neglectable compared to your damaging moves). To me it sounds like your doing to many warm up moves in total, and/or doing warm up moves when you would achieve better results useing damage dealing moves.
    Try looking at it like this: dps is spelled out damage per second(you probably already knew that^^), so if you use a warm up move while in combat range, you´re making an investment(spent combat time for something that deals no/low dmg)...its only worth it if your targets live long enough for the self buffs effect to generate more damage than using damaging moves right away would have...

Then theres syncing up with ur supports...for advanced "buff window theory" read the end section of @rjc9000 s GF guide here on the forums...

Well...to put it simply, your supports use buffs and debuffs, and in a group that doesn´t use more time coordinating beforehand than running the dungeon, they´re likely to fire their most beneficial moves right away(not all buffs/debuffs can be online during the full duration of the boss fight)... the seconds when most players strongest buffs and or debuffs uptime overlap, thats the buff window, and during it, you should be in unstoppable, and be useing your best damaging at will and IBS.
    At the start of the boss fight, and after every interruption of the fight through boss mechanics, the buff window should approximately form once your supports had time to use 3-4 fast moves. So if you were to use a full warmup of battle fury, hidden daggers, mighty slam, mount, artefakt at the start of combat, you´d be likely to have missed out on a big part of the opportunity to deal peak damage.

Thanks all. Having fun is in fact the point. :)

Thanks for the War Boar tip, but I rotate Battle Fury, Daggers, IBS, so bosses often don't get marked unless someone else marks them.

The fire archon is adding 8% (below 50%) plus .5% (when not at max) plus another .5% (when I am at max).

I really appreciate all the help everyone!

You know most bosses melt after 50% health not because everyone runs a fire archon its because classes have feat where they do more damage vs. lower health bosses. Even the Tiefling does more damage when enemies health are low. The archon is not worth it. You are missing damage for the first 50% of the bosses health and you get that from other companions. Back when we did not have all of these various companion the Fire Archon was BiS but now we have so many more companions to pick from go with another one that will be helpful from the start to the end of the fight.

BiS companions must have for a DPS:

Chult Tiger (summoned)
    Air Archon
    Earth Archon
    Razorwood

Last companion slot goes between these companions: War Boar, Alpha Compy, Batari, Siege Master, Tamed Rapture

If all group members run Rapture, Rapture is BiS. If not but you as a GWF uses Daring Shout or run with a GF than it is War Boar, if you run Chult Content and nothing else CoDG/T9 than it is Alpha, if you just want max damage on bosses Batari; all other situations use the Siege Master.

I personally go between Siege and Tamed Rapture due to group makeup. If all group members have the tamed I run the tamed, otherwise I run the Siege.
    I appreciate the input, but I just don't see Siege Master's 4% outclassing 1% at first half and 9% at last half. (Siege Master is doing 3% more in the beginning and 5% less at the end.) I'm not experiencing bosses melting that much quicker at the end. (If you are, then perfect!)

Plus given the cost--including upgrade--it's a bout a 2m AD investment for debatable returns. (UNLESS you don't have either yet. Then Siege Master is usually about 700k cheaper.)

Alpha Compy in Chult, Batiri at Bosses, and Tamed Raptors (if whole party has one) I agree. But that's some switching around for each scenario.

And since we're on the subject, I'm not grasping the Chultan Tiger. I keep one active, but at bosses I frequently watch my artifact countdown and refresh before the first break, which mean that the +5% is in effect less than half the time at those bosses. Seems like Siege Master would often be better.

Also, why must the Tiger be the summoned pet--for the ring slots?

--Thanks in advance!
  • rafamarques#5700 rafamarques Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Killer Instinct: "Enemies that are affected by the Tiger's Damage Over Time Bleeds take 10% more damage from all sources and increase the Tiger's damage by 20%."
    https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Chultan_Tiger
    because of that is good you have that companion summoned (better than a active bonus)
    Well, that does make a big difference. Sucks because I hate the way that tiger looks (moves). It would be nice if we could transmute companions.

Thanks again!
  • asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    I knew a really good GWF, who diminished his IL on purpose. Just for the fun of wracking BIS GWFs. He used BIS gear, weapon enchants, companion and everything that contributed significantly. Everything else was ignored (3rd and 4th legendary companion, armor kits, utility slots...)
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • vincentr6669vincentr6669 Member Posts: 235 Arc User

It should be the contrary. You should always mark bosses unless someone else can do this, then you swap Daring Shout for Battle Fury.

This is good both for you (because you have Powerful Challenge feat so you deal +15% damage on Marked targets) and for your party that will receive Combat Advantage against Marked targets.
    Hmm... Okay. Good tip.

On another note: I use The Executioner's Vambraces for arm slot, which give over 3k power. My standing still damage (no buffs whatsoever) is +189%. When I switch to Fearbringers it drops to +183%. Are Fearbingers still BiS? Does the +3% dmg make up for the -5% dmg loss?