test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So does anyone just play on the Owlbear server, like exclusively?

pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
I was just curious. As a solo player, about the only thing I'd be giving up is VIP, since I can't do dungeons anyway. Through mass character copying, it seems like you could quickly BIS however many characters you want, open tens of thousands of lockboxes with saved up keys, build up a stronghold with copied vouchers and crates in record speed, etc.

I'm getting tired of iceskating uphill and was just pondering options. I thought I heard long ago about at least one person doing this and wondered if anyone else had any experience with it.

Comments

• kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    edited October 2018
    I doubt it, due to the fact that Owlbear is not up all the time. It's down more than it's up. Also, something to keep in mind, the "playtest" servers may sometimes be wiped. Just because they haven't done it in recent memory doesn't mean they won't at some point.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    Yeah, those are some of the things I wondered about. It would be annoying to have to redo everything. I've never spent much time on Owlbear, just a bit of Preview over the years when new mods are coming.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    Owlbear only comes up when a major release is in the works on Mimic (Preview). It's for the general weekly game patch testing when the Mimic build can't be pushed live (Dragon/Drider) for obvious reasons. When there's no module to playtest, Owlbear isn't available. Preview it's usually rolled back, but it happens now and then. Because of the low population most of the time, playing there would be hard - you'd hardly ever get a dungeon run that you don't spend a lot of effort organizing for example, and there's no Zen at all, so the only zen store stuff is what's transferred over and you can't have VIP or an enlarged shared bank (for example).
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    A few years ago, before they broke the Foundry transitions from map to map. I ran my author character up to level 70 in God Mode. Yes the Foundry editor has all the built in cheats of God Mode, One shot kill, and Untargetable. I could fly about the Well of Dragons, killing heralds of Tiamat etc.. But trust me that stuff gets old and stale fast. The Foundry editor is not there to play solo, those exist to test your creation, just as the stuff on playtest servers Mimic (aka Preview) and Owlbear are just for testing new features. I wouldn't want to play a social game without other players... although I do have a list somewhere of players I wouldn't mind not seeing. LOL
    wb-cenders.gif
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    So it sounds like Preview would be the place to do something like this then, not Owlbear. Even then it sounds a little shaky. Thanks for the heads up.

I don't get any dungeon runs anyway and I'm not interested in playing the 'social game'. I've always known MMOs are a bad fit for me, but I've really been feeling it hard lately. For the better part of a month now, I've just been logging in for the VIP key, then going off to more single player-ish games. The next mod is uninspiring beyond words to me, class changes look pretty null, the game is still going to be 17k or gtfo for the 1 DPS slot. I'm sick of grinding ad nauseum to get nowhere because I like playing the wrong class the wrong way, I have no interest in guilds or playing the playerbase which the current situation de facto REQUIRES, and I'll never be BIS. Not a single one of these issues will improve until at least spring, and most likely never will. On top of it all is some real 3rd degree burnout.

So all that said, I'm just looking at options to change things up a bit. I don't know if I'll bother, but moving to preview would be being honest with myself. I'll go through the new mod on at least one character because OCD, but beyond that, I don't know what to do. Maybe I should just go away for awhile. Or longer.