test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Daily Login Rewards

mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
Other MMO games are offering their players free daily rewards just for logging into the game. Some times they distribute additional rewards based on play time in the game and when the community works towards a specific in game achievement.

NWO could benefit from such a system where you reward players for playing. The rewards can be scaling based on the number of days you login a row or based on the number of times you login within a month. The more you log into the game the higher the reward will be over time.

Imagine this that each month if a players logs in every day you are given 5 free lockbox keys or something along those lines. One month an epic mount if you login every day, etc...

The goal I have here is to increase traffic to the game and encouraging players to login and hopefully play. It is working for other MMOs, why not make it happen here.

The old F2P is going away as more and more MMOs are coming to PC and consoles. To ensure consistent and new traffic in game, daily login rewards is one way to ensure you are still attracting players to your game.

Let's discuss.

Comments

• meer#7108 meer Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    That's an incentive for players to log in. What's the incentive for them to keep playing?
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    meer#7108 said:

That's an incentive for players to log in. What's the incentive for them to keep playing?

As I stated, some times they distribute additional rewards based on play time in the game and when the community works towards a specific in game achievement.

Additional rewards based on play time and working towards completing specific achievement.

For instance, imagine the devs set up a marker across all platforms. They want 100% of players to achieve completing CR. The reward is a lootbox that may contain a bound to account special lego mount but can only be given if that % award hit 100%.

Now given this, I know I would log into the game and start seeking out players who have not beaten CR yet and walk them through it.

• ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    So you want them to offer a free, better VIP?

I'm a sucker for free log-in rewards but, for me, that only ever encouraged me to log-in for a few minutes on some games. It's never encouraged me to stick around. Only good gameplay encourages me to actually play a game.

As for the play time rewards, that's a nice incentive but if the game is good I'm...already...playing it. So yes I would like rewards but more than anything I would rather time be put into making a good gaming experience.
  • pallierpallier Member Posts: 149 Arc User

So you want them to offer a free, better VIP?

I'm a sucker for free log-in rewards but, for me, that only ever encouraged me to log-in for a few minutes on some games. It's never encouraged me to stick around. Only good gameplay encourages me to actually play a game.

As for the play time rewards, that's a nice incentive but if the game is good I'm...already...playing it. So yes I would like rewards but more than anything I would rather time be put into making a good gaming experience.

how about an increased drop % based on the time you spend logged in? the longer you are online the better your drops are in dungeons off bosses capping at a 75% bonus to drop rate for free players and 150% for VIP.

Oh Atari how I miss you!
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    This already exists in the game (Vault of Piety). However most of the rewards are in a sore need of some serious upgrades.
    edited October 2018
    arazith07 said:

This already exists in the game (Vault of Piety). However most of the rewards are in a sore need of some serious upgrades.

That is by character and not by account. I'm talking a daily account award.

For instance day 1 you get 25 gold. Day 2 you get a 1K AD. Day 3 you get a pres ward. and this continues. On day 28 you get a coal ward. Than next month it start over with different daily award. It continues every month. On average simply from logging in we are getting around $10-15 worth of free stuff. Than once a quarter add playing time incentives that is community driven with the award increase as more of us play.

These are of course just thoughts on ways to get more players back into NW. I know I don't need to play until mod 15 lands on my two primary characters as I am nearly done and really have no reason to log on as my VIP just ran out. Therefore I see no point in logging in until mod 15 lands. Now if the devs added daily awards it would get some players to log into the game daily and maybe even go ahead and run some content after they logged in due to a friend PMing them. I know from experience that when I jump on my GF, DC or OP I typically will get 1-2 PMs asking me for a T9, CoDG or CR run.

arazith07 said:

For instance day 1 you get 25 gold. Day 2 you get a 1K AD. Day 3 you get a pres ward. and this continues. On day 28 you get a coal ward. Than next month it start over with different daily award. It continues every month. On average simply from logging in we are getting around $10-15 worth of free stuff. Than once a quarter add playing time incentives that is community driven with the award increase as more of us play.

These are of course just thoughts on ways to get more players back into NW. I know I don't need to play until mod 15 lands on my two primary characters as I am nearly done and really have no reason to log on as my VIP just ran out. Therefore I see no point in logging in until mod 15 lands. Now if the devs added daily awards it would get some players to log into the game daily and maybe even go ahead and run some content after they logged in due to a friend PMing them. I know from experience that when I jump on my GF, DC or OP I typically will get 1-2 PMs asking me for a T9, CoDG or CR run.
    I don't see the value in arguing that your idea is by account versus by character. A daily reward in game counts whether it's per character or per account. The fact remains you get on game, do one quick thing on a character and get a reward. Are they good rewards? Not really. Still not making or breaking anything for me.

I think your rewards are highly unrealistic and show the huge difference between what a player thinks is a good reward and what a business would deem a good reward.

Again, don't get me wrong. I love free stuff and would love more free stuff. I think they definitely need to look into improving customer experience.

But I also think in the company's eyes they already have a reward system in place.
    I play other games and there are times I don't feel like playing but I do end up playing because something free was given to me that provided me the motivation to play.

For instance, ESO I get free XP scrolls and when I get those I use them up and because I got them it provides me the motivation to play as I level up faster. Other games I get free loot boxes with a chance at epic and legendary rewards. But if NWO wants to continue offering nothing than so be it. I'm just trying to find a way to bring back some players that left for one reason or another.
  • omegarealities#7219 omegarealities Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited October 2018

arazith07 said:

What would be the incentive to the VIP program then. If you get free stuff just for logging in, why purchase VIP? It is already a free to play game, and now you want to be rewarded for just logging in to the game?
    I agree with omegarealities that any new log-in reward would devalue VIP. On top of VIP, you invoke on a character and get currency to buy something from Vault of Piety. Yet more free stuff. Crappy free stuff but free none the less.

Better rewards could definitely be added to the game. The vault is in need of a serious overhaul. VIP could use a few more perks/levels. Hell everything that gives rewards in the game could be turned up a notch or 10.
  • odskyr#3177 odskyr Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    What about the idea of an increased rAD refinement - log in Bonus? Every day you log in you have +10% an your maximum rAD refinement limit. Up to 7 Days you gain +70% as long as you log in eyery day.

I agree with omegarealities that any new log-in reward would devalue VIP. On top of VIP, you invoke on a character and get currency to buy something from Vault of Piety. Yet more free stuff. Crappy free stuff but free none the less.

Better rewards could definitely be added to the game. The vault is in need of a serious overhaul. VIP could use a few more perks/levels. Hell everything that gives rewards in the game could be turned up a notch or 10.

It would only devalue VIP if you think it devalues VIP. VIP gets you 30 keys a month and cost $10. You are getting 3750 zen worth a keys for 1000 zen. If you buy a longer length of time of VIP it gets even cheaper. VIP will not devalue just from free daily login rewards.

The rewards would also be given to players with VIP as well. At times, the free rewards will be better if you have VIP. For instance, let's say the devs create a new green mount to include as part of the daily reward but if you are VIP your mount is not green but epic with a new mount equipped power that has not yet hit the game. That would not devalue VIP but add value to VIP.

The point of free daily login reward is to get players into the game and hoping their friends reach out to them to play the game. A year ago when I was just logging into the game and collecting my daily key I would at time receive an invite from a friend to join a Q. And sometimes I would play just because my friends reached out to me.

What about the idea of an increased rAD refinement - log in Bonus? Every day you log in you have +10% an your maximum rAD refinement limit. Up to 7 Days you gain +70% as long as you log in eyery day.

We already have this from praying each day, no need to add more free RAD to the game. I'm talking legit reward that we could use or want.

Imagine logging in for 30 days straight and you have a mount box. The mount box may contain an uncommon, rare, epic or legendary mount. You open it up and you get a legendary mount, bound to account. Your friends gets an epic, etc... the point is to get us logging into the game.

Yes it is a free game but I get daily rewards in other free games and as of late I play those games as there are more incentives in those games vs. what I get out of my time on NWO.
  • odskyr#3177 odskyr Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    I guess you missunderstood me. I meant, that your daily rAD refinement cap is 100k each day. With the Log-In Bonus you can refine on first day +10 % = 110K an on day 7 you can refine 170K to AD. That means, that you get a bonus not only for logging in, but for logging in and playing the game.

With the Log-In Bonus you can refine on first day +10 % = 110K an on day 7 you can refine 170K to AD. That means, that you get a bonus not only for logging in, but for logging in and playing the game.

I find it hard to imagine the devs see this as a good idea. They put the 100k limit in to control the economy (and force you to "show me the money"). Why would they then add a bonus to how much you can refine? It goes against what they just put in the game.

@mebengalsfan#9264 I understood that the rewards system you're throwing out as an idea would be an additional reward for VIP'ers. I still see zero point in adding an additional reward system instead of updating the rewards system they already have in place.

I get that people want free stuff. I like free stuff. I'm sure most players wouldn't mind some free stuff. I just don't get why you think this should be in addition to VIP instead of a part of it? You're really not selling me anything more than "How about some free stuff to interest me in playing a game that should interest me enough itself". I suppose my biggest hurdle with your idea I've already stated. Your free log-in rewards seem highly unrealistic especially for someone that's playing this game.

I guess one argument would be that VIP "could" cost someone real money. It's hard for me to see that as a big stumbling point when most of the people I've played with have VIP out of their wazoos from buying key packs and past winter events.

That makes this new reward of yours just another free reward on top of the free VIP that they'll have for a long time. I know some that have VIP paid through the next 5+ years from buying key packs (not sure who the genius was behind allowing those packs to stay on sale as long as they did but thank you!).

Also, I keep reading "more and more MMOs are coming to console". Please send me their titles!!! lol. I've tried the few and far between I've come across and they've all been complete failures as far as I'm concerned. So maybe those games were on the right track giving free stuff away since the actual gameplay was boring.

I guess at the end of the day I'm looking at this from the devs eye and thinking "All they have to do is play the game, earn AD, buy VIP, and bam, free stuff for logging in. Now they just want free stuff for showing up? It's really not that hard." (of course now that you can only refine 100k/day it is that much harder for a fresh account).
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    These sort of ideas come up on a regular basis, and - not to single you out - few of them look at Cryptics side of things, and that generally boils down to 3 letters.

ROI.

Return. On. Investment.

What does Cryptic get for giving stuff away for free? How does it encourage people to give them money, and keep the game going? In the case presented above, most of the things listed are already there under VIP - scrolls, keys, bonus to rAD. The extra refining space is almost certainly a no-go as they're looking to limit refined AD coming into the system, not add to it.

But even after all that - how does your idea help Cryptics bottom line. Just saying "it'll bring in players" doesn't cut it. "Players" could all show up, use resources, and never spend money. That's bad. How many *paying customers* would it bring in? How is your idea different from VIP, and why shouldn't Cryptic stick with the plan to allow AD->Zen exchanges, thereby allowing VIP to be obtained for 'free'?

Yes, free stuff is nice as a player - but a company can't just throw things at players and expect financial success, y'know?
    edited October 2018
    cdnbison said:

These sort of ideas come up on a regular basis, and - not to single you out - few of them look at Cryptics side of things, and that generally boils down to 3 letters.

ROI.

Return. On. Investment.

What does Cryptic get for giving stuff away for free? How does it encourage people to give them money, and keep the game going? In the case presented above, most of the things listed are already there under VIP - scrolls, keys, bonus to rAD. The extra refining space is almost certainly a no-go as they're looking to limit refined AD coming into the system, not add to it.

But even after all that - how does your idea help Cryptics bottom line. Just saying "it'll bring in players" doesn't cut it. "Players" could all show up, use resources, and never spend money. That's bad. How many *paying customers* would it bring in? How is your idea different from VIP, and why shouldn't Cryptic stick with the plan to allow AD->Zen exchanges, thereby allowing VIP to be obtained for 'free'?

Yes, free stuff is nice as a player - but a company can't just throw things at players and expect financial success, y'know?

If the devs provided free refinement it could translate into revenue by player buying wards.

If the devs add bonus awards to the daily award that could bring in revenue from player buying VIP.

If the devs give away leveling scrolls, it could result in player with new 70 characters buying Zen to sell for AD to acquire some specific stuff for their new level character such as mounts, companions, etc...

There are many ways to generate revenue off free items. You just have to plan it accordingly.
    edited October 2018
    There is no way I see the Devs being able to make money off of this. People could just log in, get credit and logout. How does the game make money if people are buying stuff with things they receive for free?

Which other MMOs give out free stuff for just logging in?

This sounds more some kind of entitlement system.
  • zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User

There is no way I see the Devs being able to make money off of this. People could just log in, get credit and logout. How does the game make money if people are buying stuff with things they receive for free?

Which other MMOs give out free stuff for just logging in?

This sounds more some kind of entitlement system.

ESO does, but only started in the past few months. It's the only other MMO I play at the moment, but there may be others that give login bonuses as well. If you think about it, it's not that different than free stuff from invoking.
    Bethesda also makes a lot of money from other non free to play games. Perfect World doesn't really have that option. I'm pretty sure they don't pay their employees in marks an epic mounts.
    There are definitely other games that give out daily bonuses that aren't MMOs. That still doesn't change my opinion.

This is Neverwinter not [other game name here] and it's quite tiring to hear the old rational of "I played xx and they did this so NW devs must be stupid for not doing the same".

All businesses do not run the same or have the same plan to attain their goals. The games I have played that gave log-in bonuses also did not have anything like the VIP system.

And yeah, I would never compare PW to Bethesda.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    -Removed--what I wanted to say is already covered---
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***

There are definitely other games that give out daily bonuses that aren't MMOs. That still doesn't change my opinion.

This is Neverwinter not [other game name here] and it's quite tiring to hear the old rational of "I played xx and they did this so NW devs must be stupid for not doing the same".

All businesses do not run the same or have the same plan to attain their goals. The games I have played that gave log-in bonuses also did not have anything like the VIP system.

And yeah, I would never compare PW to Bethesda.

Comparing games is what we do and how we as gamers determine where our entertainment time and dollars go. I like NWO because of the game lore and I use to play PnP D&D in the Forgotten Realm setting years ago. Being end game and without much to do I have to find a reason to even log into the game each day now.

As for ESO the daily login reward gets me to log into the game and about 50% of the time I end up playing for 2-3 hours.

I honestly prefer NWO combat and graphics over ESO but like I said I am end game and there are days where I simply don't login. In fact, I don't care if I do not get my daily keys as I have zero luck anyways. Now if NWO offered me something free that maybe worth logging into the game daily and worth my time and energy to log into NWO, especially if the better items required 28 days of logging in within say 30 or 31 days.

And normally when I do log into NWO I check to see who is online and try to run something. Otherwise I am busy with another entertainment medium and simply dont' bother with NWO.

My VIP is about ready to expire and I have no desire to renew it and when that happens I am more than likely going to be playing ESO given that they show their customers appreciation by awarding free daily items just for logging into their game.

If you are happy with getting nothing and paying more overall for NWO than say another game, than so be it.
  • gaw#7498 gaw Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    What they need to do is redo the Moonstone Mask. WTF is that for and what's difference between the VIP section? This should be where the VIPs get a better choice of stuff to buy. Things that rarely drop or higher leveled items, mounts and insignia, refinements, companions and gear. Maybe have VIP missions or hunts that go through every campaign like the Barovia but throughout everywhere. Make group thing like Dungeons and it takes a week or so like achieve campaign currency to continue the campaign.
  • zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User
    gaw#7498 said:

What they need to do is redo the Moonstone Mask. WTF is that for and what's difference between the VIP section? This should be where the VIPs get a better choice of stuff to buy. Things that rarely drop or higher leveled items, mounts and insignia, refinements, companions and gear. Maybe have VIP missions or hunts that go through every campaign like the Barovia but throughout everywhere. Make group thing like Dungeons and it takes a week or so like achieve campaign currency to continue the campaign.

A long, long, long, time ago when the game was PC only, just starting and played on three different shards, one of the benefits from a pack was different kind of VIP status than we have today. This entitled you to access to the special room in the Moonstone Mask, but more importantly jumped you to the top of queue for the shards. Yes, believe it or not, there was a time when access to the shards to play the game was sometimes queued. The access to that room is still in one of the packs.
  • r0y0r0y0 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Yeah, Elder Scrolls Online had a sweet 100,000 gold reward on the last consecutive day of the month (think it was September 2018), and I had missed ONE log-in and didn't get it. Was a bummer. Still, they would give a free crate/box (equivalent of a Key here) or some potions, etc. Not great gifts, but they didn't need to be, really. ESO also has MUCH better account-bound things (e.g. all materials for crafting, when subscribing to the game - like VIP here) are shared among all alts! So all farming of materials goes into one massive shared bag. Also, weapon and armor skins, mounts, etc. are all account-wide, so you don't have to keep getting that 2mil AD mount for every frickin toon...

I call it quality of life services. I think Guild Wars 2 also does it similar, heck, even WoW shares mounts and such.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • durugudesudurugudesu Member Posts: 555 Arc User
    Instead of an alt army we will get account armies. Sorry nope.
    r0y0 said:

Yeah, Elder Scrolls Online had a sweet 100,000 gold reward on the last consecutive day of the month (think it was September 2018), and I had missed ONE log-in and didn't get it. Was a bummer. Still, they would give a free crate/box (equivalent of a Key here) or some potions, etc. Not great gifts, but they didn't need to be, really. ESO also has MUCH better account-bound things (e.g. all materials for crafting, when subscribing to the game - like VIP here) are shared among all alts! So all farming of materials goes into one massive shared bag. Also, weapon and armor skins, mounts, etc. are all account-wide, so you don't have to keep getting that 2mil AD mount for every frickin toon...

I call it quality of life services. I think Guild Wars 2 also does it similar, heck, even WoW shares mounts and such.

I agree with your thoughts on this. And NWO should improve the quality of life of its players by showing us a bit of appreciation. Especially since the average player playing a FREE game actually pays more than a buy to play game or a subscription based game.

Comparing games is what we do and how we as gamers determine where our entertainment time and dollars go.
    --etc etc etc--
    If you are happy with getting nothing and paying more overall for NWO than say another game, than so be it.

My point wasn't that games can't be compared. Only that because something works over there doesn't mean it would work here. That is my only point. All the talk of how great something was in XX is just opinion.

And your statement works vice versa. If you are unhappy with getting nothing for doing nothing in NWO, than so be it. Other games are available for all of us and I'm sure we all play other titles as well.

Comparing games is what we do and how we as gamers determine where our entertainment time and dollars go.
    --etc etc etc--

My point wasn't that games can't be compared. Only that because something works over there doesn't mean it would work here. That is my only point. All the talk of how great something was in XX is just opinion.

And your statement works vice versa. If you are unhappy with getting nothing for doing nothing in NWO, than so be it. Other games are available for all of us and I'm sure we all play other titles as well.
    You have companies that are first movers and than you have the followers. If the first movers are profitable and end up being successful than others will follow. Very common to see this; it is why many sub MMO games have gone to the F2P model.

ESO was not as busy as it is today as it was a year ago. The free daily login rewards are part of why ESO has improved its online traffic. I know it has me playing more now than I did a year ago.

Will NWO be a follower long after many companies start providing free daily login rewards? My bet is if other titles like DCUO, FF, WarFrame, etc... start providing daily login reward NWO will as well to attract and retain its customers; especially if they noticed a pretty big dip in the number of players playing the game.

I just wanted the devs to consider providing a free daily login reward as an extra perk to us as players of their game and be more of a first mover with providing free daily logins instead of a late follower. If they do provide this great and if they don't they don't.
    Bethesda/Zenimax has a lot of paid games that help recoup for the free stuff given out for games that are free to play. From what I know, Perfect World doesn't have that same advantage. Expecting small game companies to be able to do the same things major companies is just unreasonable.