test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

OFFICIAL FEEDBACK THREAD: Professions Overhaul

Comments

• rotgutwilly#1725 rotgutwilly Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

This does mean that in some way, if you happen to have a crafting profession and leadership leveled, that you could look at the time invested in leadership as "time wasted." However, you have also presumably benefited from having leadership leveled on live up until this point. We hope that you can understand why we are granting gathering levels to players who have not leveled leadership.

It absolutely is time wasted. In the time it took to raise Leadership to 25, several other professions could have been leveled. I understand the need for a professions overhaul but NO investment in the game should just be lost. If there had been any indication that this would have happened, I would have focused on other professions instead.

• mystar#5733 mystar Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    I haven't read through every post in this thread yet, so I apologize if the questions I'm going to ask were already answered.
    How will this affect the Wonders of Gond event and will this event run before the changes? Being a fairly new player still, I was only able to participate in this event once and enjoyed it so much that I prepped some of my characters with the tools and resources needed for when the next time. I'm not really concerned about what I'd be losing in time and effort to prep for the event because it sounds like it all can be converted over to the new system in some way or another. I think adapting to the changes regarding our investments won't be as bad as some people are thinking.
  • jaraxellejaraxelle Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    @asterdahl I might have missed this in the various bugs and comments in this working out of the professions in preview. 1) thank you for taking the time to read and answer. 2) I have tried seeing what professions in the future hold. I see that event crafting is out (summer Festival, Winter Festival and Siege of Neverwinter). I can only assume there will be something special for that that we are not privy to yet. I go see Wonder of Gond, Masterwork 1-5 and the level regular crafting. I have tried looking ahead into the various crafts to see if we wil still be able to create not only our beloved RP chests and bags but also, a very important; Stronghold resources like the AD crates, jewels, labor and supplies. Are these simply going to disappear? This would make Strongholds more of a challenge and struggle for those already behind, considering there is already evidence on the live server that Guild Hall 22 is required for the next set of upgrading (warehouse 11, farm 11 etc). Many guilds count on those crates to ease the burden to build up their SHs. Also a nice touch to Strongholds would be time of day (day/night) and maybe a 3 or 4 season weather system with occasional storm... maybe Mothra can come in and damage a tree or two blocking a road.
    BLACK VANGUARD & RED VANGUARD
    - Leadership Team
  • askeron28askeron28 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    is there any change that we may have the abilty to make keys any time soon. don't get me wrong buying enchanted keys i get. but i find more enjoyment in making the thiings i need when i can.
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    jaraxelle said:

Stronghold resources like the AD crates, jewels, labor and supplies.

The recipes are not yet up on preview. I'm hoping they'll be there this Friday. I'm interested to see what will be required and what the costs will be. I'm not sure whether crafting these will even be feasible for most of the playerbase. I currently craft these on 13 characters (14 for labor) since I and my wife are the only truly active players in our guild.
  • jaraxellejaraxelle Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 31 Arc User
    bruce55 said:

As I said before about people with tons of gold. They apparently ae not trying to level a guild. People that are leveling guilds spend lots of gold as I do. Guilds getting screwed again.

I don't run out of gold. I have gold gobbling gloves (Cambist's) , yes, still. I finished a GH20 with them on last November and currently have started a new Guild 5 weeks ago. We are only 8 members and just gathering shards for GH7. Gold is not an issue, even when we get to higher levels. You just have to be disciplined in gathering that gold. I pick up everything when running solo. Everything. I sell it for gold. On average, with my gloves consuming Silver at a high rate as most TRs do... I walk away with about 90-100 per day, on just that character. Granted that is with professions as well but I don't slot in much gold-producing professions. There are many ways in the game to produce gold and they are not at all related to any content that is changing. Keep an open mind. I do agree though, some of the new content gold costs are a little off the mark and am hopeful that they will be adjusted. Have a great day! :)
    BLACK VANGUARD & RED VANGUARD
    - Leadership Team
  • pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    The devs really, really, really need to reconsider the changes to leadership (aka, gutting it and transforming it into something completely different). I would love having my little army of footman, adventurers, mercs going out and doing military deeds.

Frankly the thing that I never understood about how NW label's things like guilds. What we have in the game in no way resembles a guild, its a stronghold and the stronghold "owner" is king. They can kick everyone out and sell the guild (and yes, that happens). How about a thieves guild? A mage guild? etc. You can keep the stronghold concept but it is not a guild.
  • free2payfree2pay Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Btw what is going to happen to event related professions like Summer Provisioning? Any change to the reward from Level 10 quest "A True Professional", what is the reward? Any impact to lockbox? Any changes to titles?
  • methuselasmethuselas Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited September 2018

jaraxelle said:

Stronghold resources like the AD crates, jewels, labor and supplies.

The recipes are not yet up on preview. I'm hoping they'll be there this Friday. I'm interested to see what will be required and what the costs will be. I'm not sure whether crafting these will even be feasible for most of the playerbase. I currently craft these on 13 characters (14 for labor) since I and my wife are the only truly active players in our guild.

Yup. Same problem my wife and I have. We took a 2 year hiatus only to come back to a dead guild with a Level 1 Stronghold. :( Ironically, I'm the leader of two dead guilds. Grateful for the guild banks, though. XD

Post edited by methuselas on
  • lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User

asterdahl said:

However, you have also presumably benefited from having leadership leveled on live up until this point. We hope that you can understand why we are granting gathering levels to players who have not leveled leadership.

I joined the game about 3 months ago. At the time, the advice was "focus on Leadership, as it's the only profession that is worthwhile."

So, on my main, that's what I've done. I'm at level 18, and the benefits I have gained is logging in and running War Games Training several times a day.

It sounds like what I need to do now is switch to another profession quickly and level it up, as that it what will set my Gathering level.

Will there be any benefit to my last three months of leveling Leadership as my primary profession on my main?
    Your Gathering level will be set to your highest profession level. If that's Leadership, you get gathering based on your Leadership. If that's not Leadership, you'll get Gathering based on whatever your highest profession is.

(And yes, most of the really profitable bits of Leadership start appearing at level 21, which takes about 90 days to get to for an experienced player transferring in assets from other characters and choosing a near-ideal progression path without spending any lockbox assets, AD, or setting alarms to wake up every 4 hours and sign in to roll tasks.)

As for if you should change: Well, you can probably get Leadership to 19 before mod 15. If you can get one of the other professions higher, then it might be well worth it. But if you don't, and you hit Mod 15 with nothing but Leadership and Leadership at level 18: You'll still get a pretty decent Gathering level, and the ability to trade all your Leadership resources in for new crafting stuff, and all the various profession stuff from the sub-21 boxes you've made so far will be tradable. It's not a bad situation to be in.
  • alphastreamalphastream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 209 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

The gold costs are absolutely not final. That being said, we have found that wealth in terms of gold varies greatly from player to player based on their own personal play style and how much emphasis they put on picking up and selling items.

In the economy overall there is absolutely more gold flowing in than flowing out. That said, obviously, if even after gold gains increased value, changing play habits still result in the new professions system result in gold flowing out of the economy faster than it is flowing in, we will make adjustments to gold gain or further adjustments to recipe costs.

There is a huge imbalance in gold, in part because the system is so inconsistent with when it is needed. A player in a guild who donates regularly will likely have much less gold, because it's an important coffer donation. A player that plays top content and switches out enchants on their gear for solo vs mobs or similar situations will find they are running low on gold. A high-level player that doesn't do these things only needs gold for the infrequent potions or not at all, and has tons of gold.

The new profession is a huge problem for those already low on gold. Both the gold cost and the ability to transfer campaign currency to RAD will hurt coffer donations for growing guilds. It would be nice to see something for these situations. For example, what is a player low on gold to do? I pick up and sell everything I can, and after coffer donations I'm already low on gold... where does the gold for professions come from for me?
    Learn more about Dungeons & Dragons tabletop at Alphastream.org.

Learn about Neverwinter and the Lore of D&D on YouTube

Check out my acclaimed adventures for the tabletop D&D game, including my latest: Adamantine Chef: Supreme Challenge! and Jungle Treks or Chultan Death Curse: Revised for Tomb of Annihilation!
    I do like the changes, however, one particularly glaring thing I despise is, after dealing with the arduous intro for one toon (I have 8), I can't skip through it for the rest of them. I really don't need to watch all the cut scenes over and over again. Granted, as an unemployed character animator ( hint - do you offer remote work? ;P), I get the aesthetic, but it is annoying.

• mystar#5733 mystar Member Posts: 179 Arc User

asterdahl said:

The gold costs are absolutely not final. That being said, we have found that wealth in terms of gold varies greatly from player to player based on their own personal play style and how much emphasis they put on picking up and selling items.

In the economy overall there is absolutely more gold flowing in than flowing out. That said, obviously, if even after gold gains increased value, changing play habits still result in the new professions system result in gold flowing out of the economy faster than it is flowing in, we will make adjustments to gold gain or further adjustments to recipe costs.

There is a huge imbalance in gold, in part because the system is so inconsistent with when it is needed. A player in a guild who donates regularly will likely have much less gold, because it's an important coffer donation. A player that plays top content and switches out enchants on their gear for solo vs mobs or similar situations will find they are running low on gold. A high-level player that doesn't do these things only needs gold for the infrequent potions or not at all, and has tons of gold.

The new profession is a huge problem for those already low on gold. Both the gold cost and the ability to transfer campaign currency to RAD will hurt coffer donations for growing guilds. It would be nice to see something for these situations. For example, what is a player low on gold to do? I pick up and sell everything I can, and after coffer donations I'm already low on gold... where does the gold for professions come from for me?
    I have a few characters low on gold too...and expecting to invest time into grinding for gold. I'm planning on a set of gear with radiant enchants in utility slots, prosperity insignias in mounts and guild boons for starters. And any other gear that gives a gold bonus.
  • kronus#9296 kronus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 163 Arc User
    I'm with a lot of other people on the new overhaul. I'm in a small guild and we are currently working on GH9 for the stronghold. I don't see anything other then individual equipment to donate to the coffer. None of the crates are craftable, in particular AD's, gems, and labor. I hope these recipes are added or am I missing something like donating our artisans as labor.
  • alphastreamalphastream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    asterdahl said:

That said, as with all of the numbers, we are still making large adjustments leading up to the final release.

Seriously, if you can't get the system right before November, please delay launch. This isn't a system where we are all seeing minor issues. We are seeing major impacts across the board: economy, quality of life, efficiency, clarity, you name it. It's better to delay launch than implement something that doesn't work well.

Learn more about Dungeons & Dragons tabletop at Alphastream.org.

Learn about Neverwinter and the Lore of D&D on YouTube

Check out my acclaimed adventures for the tabletop D&D game, including my latest: Adamantine Chef: Supreme Challenge! and Jungle Treks or Chultan Death Curse: Revised for Tomb of Annihilation!
  • mdarkangel#4696 mdarkangel Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    > @asterdahl said:
    > While we understand that the number of slots is likely to be a point of contention, please keep in mind that with morale provided each day allowing for a large number of free instant tasks, the total number of tasks you should be able to complete has, in most cases, risen.
    >
    > Overall, we intend for the new system to have longer periods of hands on and much longer periods of hands off, without needing to be micromanaged excessively.

We're going to rough this because I'm not in game at the moment. On live if I play for 4 hours and pick 9 simple gathering tasks I can get around 100 tasks completed and then set 9 more tasks for overnight. New system, Morale can't be used on gathering so I'll get roughly 30-40 of those accomplished during playtime. As for crafting, I can use Morale to instantly create, but I'll be stuck waiting for the gatherers to finish their tasks before I can do that.

As a somewhat accomplished player I'll have resources to start with, but there will be a point when I'm waiting for the gatherers. Not being able to rush the gatherers, and only being able to assign 3 tasks for each I believe will lessen what we're able to accomplish.
  • mdarkangel#4696 mdarkangel Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    > @lowjohn said:
    > Your Gathering level will be set to your highest profession level. If that's Leadership, you get gathering based on your Leadership. If that's not Leadership, you'll get Gathering based on whatever your highest profession is.

I thought that was how it was supposed to work, but that did not happen for me. I had 2 professions at 25 and Leadership was 18. Upon completion of the tutorial my Gathering was not at 35, but my other professions were. So I thought I read something wrong or misunderstood what was written.

This could be another "fix-up" issue with this build.
  • mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    rynardm said:

I'm with a lot of other people on the new overhaul. I'm in a small guild and we are currently working on GH9 for the stronghold. I don't see anything other then individual equipment to donate to the coffer. None of the crates are craftable, in particular AD's, gems, and labor. I hope these recipes are added or am I missing something like donating our artisans as labor.

Seconded.
    With this being an expansion of sorts, I was hoping to see more craftable commodities for guild donation, not fewer.

Its incredibly difficult to entice new players to a Level 8 guild when the massively influential L20 guild boons are readily available.

Please consider this before finalising the new professions system.

rynardm said:

Seconded.
    With this being an expansion of sorts, I was hoping to see more craftable commodities for guild donation, not fewer.

Its incredibly difficult to entice new players to a Level 8 guild when the massively influential L20 guild boons are readily available.

I agree. It's even worse if you're a fledgling guild.
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User

I have a few characters low on gold too...and expecting to invest time into grinding for gold. I'm planning on a set of gear with radiant enchants in utility slots, prosperity insignias in mounts and guild boons for starters. And any other gear that gives a gold bonus.

It's nice that you're able to run radiant enchantments. I've invested heavily into dark enchantments for faster runspeed and quartermaster enchantments for those goodies. I shouldn't have to compromise on those things, especially considering how expensive getting them to R13 is. Professions should be accessible to players based on the stuff that drops from monsters because if they are not, then how are low level characters (especially new players) ever going to be able to hope to do professions? There are people who play these games where professions and crafting are the most fun thing they do in the game. On top of that, the developers have said that you should be able to level your professions while you're leveling your character. If that's one of their goals, then they are currently failing so miserably at it that it neither appears this is actually one of their goals nor does it appear that they are actually making any attempt to reach it.

> @lowjohn said:

> Your Gathering level will be set to your highest profession level. If that's Leadership, you get gathering based on your Leadership. If that's not Leadership, you'll get Gathering based on whatever your highest profession is.

I thought that was how it was supposed to work, but that did not happen for me. I had 2 professions at 25 and Leadership was 18. Upon completion of the tutorial my Gathering was not at 35, but my other professions were. So I thought I read something wrong or misunderstood what was written.

It's what Asterdahl says is supposed to happen.
    Given that all professions are currently going to the wrong level (eg, 25 becomes 35 instead of 70), I would expect it's an issue with the build and will be fixed before release.
  • asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer

asterdahl said:

As I have mentioned, the current recipe costs will see some adjustment. That said, in addition to farming gold if you need to use it yourself, this provides new opportunities to generate value for those looking to make a profit without directly engaging in professions, selling gold to others.

That is to say, depending on the profit margin on individual recipes at the time, those who are focused on crafting can always buy gold from others. With each sale turning around and reinvesting a portion of their profit in more gold.

That said, we're not trying to break a new player's bank while leveling, so we'll be looking at the costs more.

> @asterdahl said:

> While we understand that the number of slots is likely to be a point of contention, please keep in mind that with morale provided each day allowing for a large number of free instant tasks, the total number of tasks you should be able to complete has, in most cases, risen.

>

> Overall, we intend for the new system to have longer periods of hands on and much longer periods of hands off, without needing to be micromanaged excessively.

We're going to rough this because I'm not in game at the moment. On live if I play for 4 hours and pick 9 simple gathering tasks I can get around 100 tasks completed and then set 9 more tasks for overnight. New system, Morale can't be used on gathering so I'll get roughly 30-40 of those accomplished during playtime. As for crafting, I can use Morale to instantly create, but I'll be stuck waiting for the gatherers to finish their tasks before I can do that.

As a somewhat accomplished player I'll have resources to start with, but there will be a point when I'm waiting for the gatherers. Not being able to rush the gatherers, and only being able to assign 3 tasks for each I believe will lessen what we're able to accomplish.

As far as raw material gathering is concerned, keep in mind that a single task results in a dozen items. That being said, although you will be able to more actively create things, there is somewhat of an intentional bottleneck on raw resource gathering, as we'd like to promote more trade.

If you're an active crafter and your gatherer's alone can't keep up with your resource needs, you can buy materials from others who are less active at crafting, and add value by creating a finished product before selling it at a higher price.
    icarlc said:

I have called myself looking through this thread but now I must ask a question.

During the upgrade from one to two, your development team spent considerable time in talking about cleaning the place up. Yet there is a bottle still laying on it's side and cups all over the place, when will we get to clean that up for real? It is causing my OCD to spasm...

Your artisans start picking up after themselves at the break table starting with rank 3.

> @lowjohn said:

This is the primary fixup issue with the build, and included in the known issues for preview. I apologize for the inconvenience. A future build will resolve this issue.

rynardm said:

Seconded.

I agree. It's even worse if you're a fledgling guild.
    Although I've already answered this, and a few other players have noted it as well, I will reiterate because this has come up repeatedly in the last few pages: not all recipes are available on preview, including armor kits, stornghold furniture and stronghold donations. Those items will be available on live, and on a future preview build.

> @lowjohn said:

Sooooo, let me get this strait... if you maxed Leadership only, for M15 you get gathering... which is useless without doing some other profession. But if you had leadership at LV1 and had something else maxed out, not only do you get the equivalent boost in that profession in M15 but you also get the maxed out gathering...????

This sounds like a LOT of people are getting ROYALLY SCREWED in m15.

Sooooo, let me get this strait... if you maxed Leadership only, for M15 you get gathering... which is useless without doing some other profession. But if you had leadership at LV1 and had something else maxed out, not only do you get the equivalent boost in that profession in M15 but you also get the maxed out gathering...????

I suspect the number of people who have maxed another profession but not Leadership is *vanishingly small* compared to the number of people who've mastered Leadership but not another profession.

And, as I understand it having not had time to dig on Preview yet, Gathering alone isn't useless - it will still produce RP and resources for other professions, and you will be able to trade or sell those if you don't want to use them. And, hey, at least you don't have to level Gathering while you level other things now.

Besides, you've already had years of benefit from maxing out Leadership.
  • mirlegrismirlegris Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    asterdahl said:

As I have mentioned, the current recipe costs will see some adjustment. That said, in addition to farming gold if you need to use it yourself, this provides new opportunities to generate value for those looking to make a profit without directly engaging in professions, selling gold to others.

That is to say, depending on the profit margin on individual recipes at the time, those who are focused on crafting can always buy gold from others. With each sale turning around and reinvesting a portion of their profit in more gold.

That said, we're not trying to break a new player's bank while leveling, so we'll be looking at the costs more.

All we ask is Logic.

A Potion or any items than players can directly buy for gold at pnj should cost less to craft than to buy it directly since a player invest time to build a profession and tools, players have to be competitive against pnj costs.

If it's not the case, recipes for thoses items are useless and should be deleted from the system.
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    lowjohn said:

And, as I understand it having not had time to dig on Preview yet, Gathering alone isn't useless - it will still produce RP and resources for other professions, and you will be able to trade or sell those if you don't want to use them. And, hey, at least you don't have to level Gathering while you level other things now.

No you do not get RP from gathering. Instead you get raw RP which you then have to use jewelcrafting to get the actual jewel. And at the current gold cost I can't see anyone ever bothering to do it. Maybe early on if they have a hoard of gold. But once they run through their gold in a few days won't bother thereafter.

The only thing gathering by itself would be good for is gathering materials others can use to craft with...but of course they will already be able to gather those items themselves much more easily so I don't see there being a huge market for this.
    empalas said:

lowjohn said:

No you do not get RP from gathering. Instead you get raw RP which you then have to use jewelcrafting to get the actual jewel. And at the current gold cost I can't see anyone ever bothering to do it. Maybe early on if they have a hoard of gold. But once they run through their gold in a few days won't bother thereafter.

The only thing gathering by itself would be good for is gathering materials others can use to craft with...but of course they will already be able to gather those items themselves much more easily so I don't see there being a huge market for this.
    I see other people complaining that they won't be able to Gather enough materials to keep their other professions fed?

Still. I don't think anyone's "getting screwed" by only getting Gathering for free, or by other people getting Gathering if they weren't using Leadership.

> @lowjohn said:

the people who focused purely on Leadership were already getting the most benefit out of professions, because Leadership was the only really valuable profession for most people. They got the benefit they needed.
    "The most benefit" does not equate to the only benefit. That is like saying "we are gutting the GWF because for years you guys got the most benefit from it", it makes no sense, we are playing the game they created using the rules they created. Now if they did not give max gathering away to those that did not have leadership max then it would still be HAMSTER for those playing leadership but at least not a double screw over as it is now.

I mean its just a big HAMSTER you to a huge player base. Why would you do that to people that you want to spend money on your game? I just don't get the logic.

• mechjockeymechjockey Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Just a modest proposal that might actually be possible.

If you are going to make gold the currency of crafting please include an exchange like the zen/diamonds exchange or at least the ability to list gold as an item on the auction house.

I seriously doubt that even the most dedicated crafters want to stand around in protectors enclave shouting "X AD for 100 gold" and I am even more certain most people don't want them there doing that.