test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

holy avenger for castle ravenloft?

thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
so I had an instance where someone called out double dreads and it made me think I should have a second enchant so looking thru I saw the holy avenger offered some pretty decent damage resistance so I bought one. I'm thinking that might have been a stupid move.. but was it? the stupid part is I didn't realize that this is/was considered bis for gwf and now with the new prominence hitting prices will probably plummet on it. lol I shouldn't have bought it on whim.

Comments

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

so I had an instance where someone called out double dreads

Why is this a problem?

The regular Dread debuff will not stack, but the debuff from Critical hits will stack.

And if you're running DPS DO alongside Trapper HR/Soulbinder SW/gimmick GWF/3 (4) hit GF ... all of these setups run Dread for the encounter power Critical Severity rather than the debuff.

holy avenger offered some pretty decent damage resistance so I bought one.

Not that great compared to Shepherd's and/or Hallowed Ground, with the bonus being:

20% dr * (1-your dr).

(DR bonus formula found by Sharpedgelord)

I'm thinking that might have been a stupid move.. but was it?

Yes.

the stupid part is I didn't realize that this is/was considered bis for gwf and now with the new prominence hitting prices will probably plummet on it. lol I shouldn't have bought it on whim.

You probably should not have.

• thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

so I had an instance where someone called out double dreads

Why is this a problem?

The regular Dread debuff will not stack, but the debuff from Critical hits will stack.

And if you're running DPS DO alongside Trapper HR/Soulbinder SW/gimmick GWF/3 (4) hit GF ... all of these setups run Dread for the encounter power Critical Severity rather than the debuff.

holy avenger offered some pretty decent damage resistance so I bought one.

Not that great compared to Shepherd's and/or Hallowed Ground, with the bonus being:

20% dr * (1-your dr).

(DR bonus formula found by Sharpedgelord)

I'm thinking that might have been a stupid move.. but was it?

Yes.

the stupid part is I didn't realize that this is/was considered bis for gwf and now with the new prominence hitting prices will probably plummet on it. lol I shouldn't have bought it on whim.

You probably should not have.
    Doh! ah well. I'll see if I can sell it quick for basically the same I paid for it. I didn't really think thru the dread someoen else changed because of mine. so I was like oh noes! I hadn't been checking that.
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    Not to mention that HA’s defensive proc has downtime and isn’t guaranteed to be active when you might most benefit from it.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    I use a terror or dread, mostly stick with a terror as rarely do I see other players using one.
  • rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User
    I met some DCs slotting the HA. I'm too lazy to investigate why (but I don't expect a great answer...).
    I have U-Frost, U-Plaguefire, U-Terror and a T-Bronzewood: curiosity is killing me.

Oltreverso guild leader
    Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    rapo973 said:

I met some DCs slotting the HA. I'm too lazy to investigate why (but I don't expect a great answer...).
    I have U-Frost, U-Plaguefire, U-Terror and a T-Bronzewood: curiosity is killing me.

There isn't a great answer for "why HA?"

The answer is typically that they thought it looked cool or that it must be a good choice for DC since it has a defensive proc, and a lot of players seem to view their DCs as primary healers, evidence to the contrary.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH