test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

OFFICIAL FEEDBACK THREAD: Professions Overhaul

Comments

• draconislupusdraconislupus Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

RE: RNG: Because we are introducing the concept of a success rate when crafting an item, you could say that more randomness is indeed being introduced. However, for leveling recipes, as long as you keep your artisans equipped with new tools (which are now obtained via in game means by simply crafting the tools or purchasing them from other players off the auction house) you should have a high success rate when crafting items.

Maybe I'm reading more into this than I should but your statement, "keep your artisans equipped with new tools," has me a bit concerned. Does this mean that tools will degrade as you use them? Or worse be one time use? Which I can't see.
  • muminekm#3459 muminekm Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    How new system will connect with gameplay? I'd love to upgrade and do new professions because crafting was always my favourite part of any MMO. But I wonder if it will be connected in some way to content? Like "you need x asset that drop only in Tong" or similiar. It would be nice to have reason to run some content - even older one like msva.

Will new system use RP in any way? RP value decreased over time so I wonder if it will be usable in any way (like upgrade your tool

Any good AD sinks other than rushing tasks? For example every craft cost with set AD cost

How big role guild marks will play in new system? Masterwork and normal. Now it's nicely connected with mw so people had reasons to donate to coffer.
    edited September 2018

How new system will connect with gameplay? I'd love to upgrade and do new professions because crafting was always my favourite part of any MMO. But I wonder if it will be connected in some way to content? Like "you need x asset that drop only in Tong" or similiar. It would be nice to have reason to run some content - even older one like msva.

Will new system use RP in any way? RP value decreased over time so I wonder if it will be usable in any way (like upgrade your tool

Any good AD sinks other than rushing tasks? For example every craft cost with set AD cost

How big role guild marks will play in new system? Masterwork and normal. Now it's nicely connected with mw so people had reasons to donate to coffer.

No thanks to a flat AD fee for just doing all tasks. I'm fine with AD to rush and even AD as a component but not a flat fee.

As for connecting to game play I wouldn't mind that.
    @draconislupus

We're flooded with AD right now so we need AD sinks. It doesn't have to be flat cost in tasks. Even upgrade cost of tools or crafters (but that would be once a time thing so it wouldn't be good long term ad sink).

Although rush cost will be used a lot for some time because people will want to get their new items asap for sell/use.
    I agree we need AD sinks but I think that that would be the wrong way to go. We need AD sinks people want to buy not are forced to buy. And forcing them to use AD just to do professions is not the way to go.

Now having a way to spend AD to reduce the needed materials to upgrade tools and assets is a great idea. Or even giving them temporary boosts on tasks would be another great sink.
  • eclipseblood#1326 eclipseblood Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Having the option to be able to enchant profession tools would be nice for the cost of ad, somewhat like voinblood and black ice giving additional effects like reducing the completion time or even an increased success chance for x amount of ad based on the quality of the tool and the duration of the augmentation. I really like that idea @draconislupus as long as the chances are decent and aren't forced to enchant to succeed I would love to see this change although I do worry about masterwork.
  • mintmarkmintmark Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited September 2018

OK, but as long as the content specific items can be traded. That way more players can enjoy doing what they prefer and the trade between them helps keep everyone happy. Dungeoneers can find stuff and sell it, crafters can buy stuff and make things.

I'm really looking forward to this!

• dsotm#2293 dsotm Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Any plan to give us ability to transfert tools and artisans using bank (account and guild bank) ? Actual E-mail system is not my friend.

Edit : does old and new tools and artisans will become bound with this update ?
  • badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 70 Arc User

asterdahl said:

RE: RNG: Because we are introducing the concept of a success rate when crafting an item, you could say that more randomness is indeed being introduced. However, for leveling recipes, as long as you keep your artisans equipped with new tools (which are now obtained via in game means by simply crafting the tools or purchasing them from other players off the auction house) you should have a high success rate when crafting items.

Maybe I'm reading more into this than I should but your statement, "keep your artisans equipped with new tools," has me a bit concerned. Does this mean that tools will degrade as you use them? Or worse be one time use? Which I can't see.
    The way I read it is your artisans will have, say, a Level 10 tool equipped to them. Then you level the profession to Level 20. The Level 10 tool is not as effective on Level 20 tasks as it was on Level 10 tasks. So you equip the artisan with a Level 20 tool. Just as we, the adventures, need updated equipment to properly complete our Quests, so too do our artisans need updated tools when the Crafting Level goes up.

Did I get that right?
  • gromovnipljesak#8234 gromovnipljesak Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    @asterdahl

Is there any chance of us being able to make old transmutes via blacksmithing? Stuff such as Fomorian or Draconic weapons etc.
  • krailovkrailov Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    I had question about the relative cost of assets like crucible, needle, etc. Some are worth more than others and I would hope that the 'trade-in' value would represent this - or will they be all valued the same by tier?

Might is not always right - the powerful sometimes forget that.

The Small Band
  • cts2000#2706 cts2000 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    krailov said:

I had question about the relative cost of assets like crucible, needle, etc. Some are worth more than others and I would hope that the 'trade-in' value would represent this - or will they be all valued the same by tier?

I think it was already stated about legendary tools being traded in at a 1:1 rate for a tool of your choice. THis implies to me that it doesn't matter if it is a Philosophers Stone or an Adamantine Hammer, you can trade in either for whatver new tool you want.
    edited September 2018

Any plan to give us ability to transfert tools and artisans using bank (account and guild bank) ? Actual E-mail system is not my friend.

Edit : does old and new tools and artisans will become bound with this update ?

I was going to ask the second question and the first question is a very good one too.

Will the Uncommon and Rare assets and tools convert at a ratio of 4 to 1 like current conversions. So will 4 Uncommons convert to the same amount of currency as 1 Rare? Or 16 Uncommons convert to 1 Epic?

And is the currency going to show on the Riches tab? Will the currency be character bound?

Also will both Assets and Tools convert to the same currency?
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User

asterdahl said:

I thought this immediately after reading it, as well. Both will suck because it'll introduce new tedium of having to constantly craft new tools.
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User

@draconislupus

We're flooded with AD right now so we need AD sinks. It doesn't have to be flat cost in tasks. Even upgrade cost of tools or crafters (but that would be once a time thing so it wouldn't be good long term ad sink).

Although rush cost will be used a lot for some time because people will want to get their new items asap for sell/use.

You might be flooded, but I am not. Most of my AD goes to upgrading enchantments when the WB goes on sale. Whatever is left is used to get vouchers to help my guild level. If I'm lucky, I top 5m AD just before the WB goes on sale. That won't be the case when the WB goes on sale in a couple of weeks; I'll have just over 4m and all of it will be gone.

@draconislupus

You might be flooded, but I am not. Most of my AD goes to upgrading enchantments when the WB goes on sale. Whatever is left is used to get vouchers to help my guild level. If I'm lucky, I top 5m AD just before the WB goes on sale. That won't be the case when the WB goes on sale in a couple of weeks; I'll have just over 4m and all of it will be gone.

The problem is that even if you or me are not flooded the whole market is. Just check Zen backlog on PC - it's reaching 24 mils now? And when more people will finish their enchantment upgrades there will be even less reasons for buying marks. Like @draconislupus said it don't need to be sink we're forced into but something we would want to do. Even decorations for workshop (step closer to housing? Dunno how workshop operates).
  • froger#9967 froger Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    Is there any consideration to having a web portal or mobile app to interact with the workshop? I know there used to be something and it was severely abused. But with the new system of being able to set artisans for repeating tasks we may not have the same problem. Maybe set it so you can only direct artisans, check status, etc., but not collect their items. Even a phone app with notifications of things that occur would be sweet.
    Froger - Barbarian - Original Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Jade - Cleric - Healer Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Magnus - Fighter - 3rd main to be a tank - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Loverboy - Ranger - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Nomnomnommm - Wizard - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    I Am The Wall - Paladin - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    Xeros - Rogue - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    RIP bad name - Warlock - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Bardholomew - Bard - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Sirona - Cleric - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone

Jade - DC - Shadows of Gauntlgrym - PC
  • frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    What will happen to the Icewind Dale campaign?

And will the Profession Vendor continue to exist as is? Even in VIP? I think many would prefer to have an universal seal vendor instead. :3
    FrozenFire
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Thanks for the answers to the earlier questions - however, some of those answers created a few more questions. Now, all the profession changes are of considerable interest to me. I have maximum rank of Masterwork in all professions on my main character, and 7 other alts with rank 25 in several professions each. It has annoyed me how useless most of the profession tasks are - I really hope that is about to change.
    asterdahl said:

Masterwork will continue to be a part of professions. Though almost all of the standard recipes will be completely gutted and replaced, those recipes earned via recipe books, such as masterwork and Chultan recipes will remain largely similar to what they are now.

That brings up another question...if the "standard recipes will be "gutted and replaced", how will you now obtain the initial masterwork recipes, as they currently require making some of the "standard" items?
    asterdahl said:

...you will also now be able to create high-quality versions of those items with a higher item level and superior stats.

That's great, but what about "future-proofing". What I mean is that previously, when "superior" items were able to be created, those items would typically become obsolete within a few months when the next module would be released. I am really hoping that all the changes being made will result in a system that remains viable a bit longer.
    asterdahl said:

Your leadership level will convert directly to an equivalent level in gathering. Level 25 leadership for instance, will be converted to level 70 gathering (the maximum level.)

Now, here is my concern. I think my use of leasdership is similar to that of many others. On my main character, I am constantly doing leadership tasks in 8 of 9 slots (the 9th is usually busy with some Masterwork task). This is solely to make boxes and crates, which I then open during 2xEnchant events, in order to obtain the RP I need to rank up enchants and other items. Will this "Gathering" profession allow me to "gather" a similar amount of RPs? I saw the reply about "you'll have to invest some gold, silver or copper" regarding RPs, so, is the idea basically to only allow people to make RP through gold? I'm confused.
    asterdahl said:

You will now be able to convert those materials into most of the materials used in new non-masterwork recipes.

Does this mean the number of different materials will drop significantly? I am asking because there are just too many different materials right now...I have completely maxed out the available storage space, and have to keep a number of items in the mail or on alts.
    asterdahl said:

In regards to the Forgehammer and legendary tools, those will be exempt from the standard conversion process, and instead convert 1:1 into an equally valuable tool of your choice in the new system.

I have a potential concern regarding this. The forgehammer can now be used in every profession. Are you saying I will have to convert it into a tool for only a single profession? Edit: I saw the "You'll still be able to use this tool for whatever profession you'd like."comment, so not worried about this.
    asterdahl said:

... will cost a bit more morale ...

Riight...about this "morale" thing. Is that essentially a new currency, so to speak, where we get a certain amout at the start of every day, and as we can replenish it via AD, it will be a bit of an AD sink as well. Correct?
    asterdahl said:

However, whatever gathering tasks you have assigned can be set to continue indefinitely so long as your delivery box does not fill up completely.

Yay! (I think). However, I have a feeling that this is not the whole story, because this sounds like an invitation for people to set up alt armies for "gathering", and just check in on them every now and then to empty those "delivery boxes". I doubt that's the plan, so, what's the catch ?
    asterdahl said:

...assign adventurers to gather raw materials and raw refinement stones,,,

What's this about "raw refinement stones"? Don't tell us that we are going to have to gather something like "raw" peridots", then refine those into peridots to convert to RPs.
    asterdahl said:

... as long as you keep your artisans equipped with new tools...

Keep them equipped? Does that mean the tools wear out and I have to continually replace them ?
    Will reinforcements and equipment jewels remain largely as they are today?

Will we be able to craft transmutes?

Will we be able to craft anything for companions?
    Post edited by adinosii on
    Hoping for improvements...

What will happen to the Icewind Dale campaign?

And will the Profession Vendor continue to exist as is? Even in VIP? I think many would prefer to have an universal seal vendor instead. :3

As long as we can sell junk to it.
  • midental#5256 midental Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    Some direct questions:

I will be able to craft legendary tools? Or only i can drop them? If i have an adamantine mortar, whitn new system can i change to crucible? If yes, How many times?

Thank you in advance.

Andrea
  • alphastreamalphastream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 209 Arc User
    Question about Masterwork. If we are only partly through the progression (in my case, I've unlocked Recipes III but have not done IV) does it make sense for me to try to advance any now? Are there any cases (such as the way mailsmithing and platesmithing are being combined) where it makes sense for us to not advance a masterwork profession before the new system kicks in?
    Learn more about Dungeons & Dragons tabletop at Alphastream.org.

Learn about Neverwinter and the Lore of D&D on YouTube

Check out my acclaimed adventures for the tabletop D&D game, including my latest: Adamantine Chef: Supreme Challenge! and Jungle Treks or Chultan Death Curse: Revised for Tomb of Annihilation!
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User

asterdahl said:

mailsmithing and platesmithing are being merged under a single umbrella "Armorsmithing."

It sounds like Leatherworking and Tailoring should also be merged?
    While Tailoring and Leatherworking both use shears, as Mail and Platesmithing both use Hammer and Anvil, the two metalsmiths are closer to each other than the first two. Tanning is way different than weaving. Using a hammer and anvil is very similar.

• vigilante#2764 vigilante Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    So to be clear, this is my understanding. We will begin the day with a fixed amount of morale which we will use up as we assign our artisans to tasks. Once it is used we can refill it for an unspecified amount of AD. Then if we have any interest in refinement from professions we have to spend gold, which we used to get from leadership but now must pay out. So now we have to grind a stupid amount of content to get copper to drop so that we can send gatherers out to collect refinement and pay a commission in gold. You have increased the grind and added yet another AD sink after completely limiting the earning potential of the accounts. Does that sound about right?
    I'd imagine the morale costs of mastercrafting are exorbitant so that we have to spend a ridiculous amount of ad to attempt mastercrafting the new recipes that will have even more rng to them. Am I close to hitting the mark here?

We'll even have to backtrack and unlock some new early level stuff to even be able to continue crafting at the levels we have spent time, ad and money to achieve. Correct?

I really enjoy how you keep saying people will be able to craft tools but again its rng on which level tool if any you get. But tools will make the success rates higher, after you craft them. Wow, its like you think people are ignorant and unable to see when they are being taken for a ride. I barely play since mod 14 dropped. The horrible economic decisions made for in game earning potential have severely limited the buying power of every player in the game. I have more than 2 million rad that is just sitting there leaving me no reason whatsoever to run dungeons or anything else. Beyond boons for ravenloft there is nothing to do in the game but crafting and you are now taking that and making it cost ad which I have been limited on how much I can make.

"In the end, you'll still be able to generate refinement through professions, but you'll have to invest some gold, silver or copper to pay the commission cost for your adventurer to complete the task. Some artisans will have lower commission costs or higher gathering rates, so you'll be able to choose adventurers and artisans based on your goals."

Gold Sink

"Morale replenishes at the start of each day and can be recharged for astral diamonds."

AD Sink