test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

refine fail?

pallierpallier Member Posts: 149 Arc User
so I've been using my brave tokens to buy the refining enchantments which takes 9 per to upgrade. problem is after buying over 100 now and keep trying they always fail... how do I succeed in making one? it seems to be a 100% fail rate, is there a trick to making a refine work? is it cash shop only type thing? I don't have any weapon or armor enhancements yet because these are the only things I found that make them.
Oh Atari how I miss you!

Comments

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Add a coalescent ward into the mix.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • pallierpallier Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    greywynd said:

Add a coalescent ward into the mix.

cash shop item?
    Oh Atari how I miss you!
    Zen market, prayer boxes (if you're lucky), or buy from the AH.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    well there goes that, I don't even have enough AD to upgrade my companion much less buy wards to HOPE and succeed at a combination.
    Oh Atari how I miss you!
    Depending on your line of thought companions shouldn't be a priority to upgrade anyway.
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    Always check the AH before you build. It may be cheaper to buy. You should not be building stuff under R7 or R8.

For weapon and armor enchantment, the dread and eclipse enchantments drop from the current lockbox. So they are super cheap in the AH. They are not bad.

There are some cheap purple companions in the AH. The Energon is about 12K. Or you can grind Dread Legion for it. In the process, you will make a bunch of people happy by spawning DL for their daily RLQ!
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    pallier said:

well there goes that, I don't even have enough AD to upgrade my companion much less buy wards to HOPE and succeed at a combination.

you can (RNGesus be praised!) get companion upgrade tokes from the Howling Adventure Pack. They are ~6k ad, usually. Good luck
  • tazz4nowtazz4now Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 205 Arc User
    if you're talking about the enchants for armor and main hand weapon, which are the only ones I can think of that take "9 per to upgrade", that is only a 1% chance and you will probably never get that, those you need to use a coalescent ward for, you may as well buy a rank 7 or 8 from the AH instead
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    pallier said:

so I've been using my brave tokens to buy the refining enchantments which takes 9 per to upgrade. problem is after buying over 100 now and keep trying they always fail... how do I succeed in making one? it seems to be a 100% fail rate

Not 100% It is never higher than 99%.

Seriously, the chance of success is listed right there. It is 1% for Rank13->14 enchants, as well as armor/weapon enchants, but higher for lower-rank enchants.

As a rule, if the chance is 1%, you should use a coalescent ward - if it is higher, use preservation wards.

Now, if you are buying shards to make armor or weapon enchants, you should first check what the AH proice of the finished "product" is. Basically, if you are buing the coalescent wards at full price, you will possibly end up spending more than if you simply bought a lesser enchant.

If you buy coalescent wards, you should at the very least wait until you have a "20% off" voucher, or better yet, wait until there is a big zen market sale.

Hoping for improvements...
    yeah well its going to be a very very long time til I see anything like that... I checked the AH and the standard weapon enchant is going for 1 million AD... still can't even get up to 500k AD with 2 weapons and 5 pieces of armor that needs the special enchantments its just going to have to wait... I don't even have near end game gear I'm in item level 500 stuff and heard the better gear is in the places that just came out that can 1 shot me. seems I just have to keep farming forever and a day cause I'm in the best gear I can possibly get and I'm told I can't get better until I get every boon and then max every artifact I have by refining first.
    Oh Atari how I miss you!
    I wouldn't go that far, but getting boons under you is a start. Leveling up artifacts to at least epic helps. Every improvement, however small it may appear, helps.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    pallier said:

yeah well its going to be a very very long time til I see anything like that..

Well, it did take a long time for everyone else. I mean, seriously - do you expect to get the absolute top-end gear with no effort on day one ?

I mean, I have been playing since day one of open beta, with over 5000 hours of playtime on my main character, and I still do not have the "best" gear.

It takes time. You should be able to make at least 100K AD per day, so just start saving.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Synchronicity.

As part of a re-build project I just did some maths on upgrading enchants from 7-10. Its only a very small sample [3] but it shows the following:

Radiant Enchant R7 AH cost 1500AD
    Radiant Enchant R10 cost 200,000AD

Upgrade cost 1 via GMOPs, GES, Pres Wards = c165,000AD
    Upgrade cost 2 via GMOPs, GES, Pres Wards = c180,000AD
    Upgrade cost 3 via GMOPs, GES, Pres Wards = c157,000AD

Average cost c 167,000AD

Time wasted spent upgrading about 20 minutes for all three. Plus time on the AH so maybe half an hour in total?

So I saved c100,000AD on those three upgrades by using pres wards etc.

[Note - one 20% chance took 14 attempts - failed 12 times then switched to SOMI and succeeded after 2 tries]

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    When I started, I knew it would take me a long time. I spend about 1 year to set up the infrastructure (that I felt comfortable) to "finance" my adventurer and I played everyday. I was not hurry neither. These days, it is easier than I was. i.e. if I do the same thing today, it will be faster. Anyway, if you want to do free to play, it will take a long time.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    pallier said:

so I've been using my brave tokens to buy the refining enchantments which takes 9 per to upgrade. problem is after buying over 100 now and keep trying they always fail... how do I succeed in making one? it seems to be a 100% fail rate, is there a trick to making a refine work? is it cash shop only type thing? I don't have any weapon or armor enhancements yet because these are the only things I found that make them.

Stop using your seals of the brave to buy these shards. Use them to buy more primal gear that you can then salvage for rough astral diamonds. These kinds of enchantments are not a top priority, anyway. Your regular, run-of-the-mill enchantments are more important to your success right now. The enchantments you're trying to make are very expensive to upgrade. They always have a 1% chance of success and they require many marks of potency to upgrade.
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

pallier said:

Stop using your seals of the brave to buy these shards. Use them to buy more primal gear that you can then salvage for rough astral diamonds. These kinds of enchantments are not a top priority, anyway. Your regular, run-of-the-mill enchantments are more important to your success right now. The enchantments you're trying to make are very expensive to upgrade. They always have a 1% chance of success and they require many marks of potency to upgrade.
    Yes I recall a guild member moaning in chat that s/he had failed 20 times on one of these 1% chances... I figure his/her maths isn't great...

pallier said:

wait how do you salvage gear into Astral diamonds? I thought gear only salvaged into refining shards to upgrade artifacts.
    Oh Atari how I miss you!
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
    pallier said:

wait how do you salvage gear into Astral diamonds? I thought gear only salvaged into refining shards to upgrade artifacts.

In the marketplace in PE, diagonally opposite the seals vendor, there is a wizard with an anvil by him.
    Go over there, and DON's talk to the wizard, but stand by the anvil open up your inventory and right-click on the item you want to salvage.
    If its salvageable, you will see the option in the menu. Click and collect ADs. :)

Hope that helps.
    edited September 2018
    pallier said:

pallier said:

You need to use an anvil. You can use the anvil in the PE market. The vendor is the one with the wizard hat. When you are within the anvil area, right click the equipment and select 'salvage'. The equipment needs to be a 'salvageable' equipment though. There is a word 'salvageable' in the description if it is. Not all the gear are salvageable. The primal ring, gear you got through seals are salvageable.

There are anvil in different area. However, most people has VIP will just cast it out from VIP. Hence, sometime you can see the anvil in the middle of nowhere.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    tazz4now said:

if you're talking about the enchants for armor and main hand weapon, which are the only ones I can think of that take "9 per to upgrade", that is only a 1% chance and you will probably never get that, those you need to use a coalescent ward for, you may as well buy a rank 7 or 8 from the AH instead

You cannot slot rank 7 or 8 enchants into the Armor/Weapon enchant slots...
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User

tazz4now said:

You cannot slot rank 7 or 8 enchants into the Armor/Weapon enchant slots...
    Sure you can, if the rank 7 is Lesser and rank 8 is Moderate :)
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    greywynd said:

Depending on your line of thought companions shouldn't be a priority to upgrade anyway.

companions are kind of a end game thing. you want your bondings upgraded and gear and enchants on the companion upgraded before you start worrying about legendary
    pallier said:

pallier said:

there was an early quest showing how to "salvage" equipment, how many quests and areas have you finished? a lot of blue gear is "salvageable", and also purples, as someone said above, you can't expect to be endgame immediately, and if you've got lvl 500 gear you shouldn't have any trouble in the lower areas, if you're trying to do the new stuff, which is meant for endgame then, of course, you'll have a lot of problems, finish lower areas, get boons, get AD, then move to higher areas
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    This has been discussed before and I ran 100 enchantments rank 5 up to rank 6. The games says 60% chance and I found it to be very accurate. However in the short runs of ten each, it can have streaks of bad luck. Scratch off tickets work a lot the same way. They say odds in winning are 1 in 6 but they place the winners in clusters on the rolls.

How I Tested
    I took 100 rare (blue) marks and using no wards I upgraded the rank 5 enchantments that were stacking up in my bank from trading seals. I divided them into ten runs of ten each.
    Success 7 Failed 3
    Success 4 Failed 6
    Success 9 Failed 1
    Success 6 Failed 4
    Success 9 Failed 1
    Success 8 Failed 2
    Success 7 Failed 3
    Success 6 Failed 4
    Success 3 Failed 7
    Success 4 Failed 6
    Totals 63 out of 100 = 63%

The chance of upgrade is listed as 60%. I would call it pretty accurate in the LONG term. As you can see my second run and last two runs were below 60%. Anyone in this short term area would be calling it foul.

This test was done back in April of this year.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • elrondknightelrondknight Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    tazz4now said:

pallier said:

pallier said:

there was an early quest showing how to "salvage" equipment, how many quests and areas have you finished? a lot of blue gear is "salvageable", and also purples, as someone said above, you can't expect to be endgame immediately, and if you've got lvl 500 gear you shouldn't have any trouble in the lower areas, if you're trying to do the new stuff, which is meant for endgame then, of course, you'll have a lot of problems, finish lower areas, get boons, get AD, then move to higher areas
    That depends on your definition of early. It was level 60 and that was end-game at the time. Now it is level 70.
    @elrondknight thank you, I couldn't remember exactly when that quest was since I did that a long time ago lol, the point was that if the OP is level 70 he should have done that quest unless he's skipped it, hopefully he's read all of the help he's gotten here on this feed and saves himself some frustration getting AD
    Unless he bought a level 70.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    greywynd said:

Unless he bought a level 70.

I spoke to another player today in chat. You don't have to buy level 70, if he runs the new character up to 20 and just fails private ques of IG over and over. You apparently get a quick fix of XP enough to fast level to 70 in a few hours. The player called it power leveling, I call it silly.
    wb-cenders.gif
    WOW @sandukutupu, I don't understand why someone would not want to play the entire game (yes the grind can get boring) but what I don't get is if all you want is "endgame" what's there to do and why, it's not like pvp is anything in this game, if it's just for the daily run of dungeons and grinding I still don't get that, but then again I'm an old school rpg'er who never minded going slow just to find everything and enjoy the story line and game....oh well lol
    edited September 2018
    tazz4now said:

WOW @sandukutupu, I don't understand why someone would not want to play the entire game (yes the grind can get boring) but what I don't get is if all you want is "endgame" what's there to do and why, it's not like pvp is anything in this game, if it's just for the daily run of dungeons and grinding I still don't get that, but then again I'm an old school rpg'er who never minded going slow just to find everything and enjoy the story line and game....oh well lol

If it is their nth character, they probably do not want to. If it is their first (may be the first few), one should do the whole thing.
    By the way, it does not even have to be hours. I have enough XP tome and XP underwear and azure that could move a character to 70 by keep on clicking. No, I did not do that because that would be a waste of XP tome for me. :)