test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Make companion mechanics like mounts - aka, add flavor

rannxeroxxrannxeroxx Member Posts: 168 Arc User
I was recently listing to a youtuber who was trying out NW for the first time. One of the negative comments was that he did not feel attached to his character, that it just seemed too generic.

That got me thinking about my own. I like to create ones with backgrounds and I use fashion to match those backgrounds with names to boot. An example is my TR, Squirrel Macabre, a gnome rouge from Waterdeep who grew up as a street urchin pick pocket, plays the role of a "child" and moved to Neverwinter to start the Macabre gang. There are lots of ways to improve the "flavor" of a character and one way is with your companion.

I noticed this first with my Ranger in that with I first started the game I gave him a hawk or bear. But frankly they are HAMSTER poor companions compared to all the others that give you a lot of benefits you need for end game. I mean how many con artist or Archons have you seen?

With mounts, you put the ones in your stable but you get to activate whatever tack and power you have of any that are in the stable. And then you can ride ones not even in the stable. I propose that the same be done with companions. Allow your "stable" to hold your 5 but the one you have running around with you can be any including the ones that are idle.

This would just add a little more flavor and color to the game and make the characters less generic.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Except for the Tiger, most common pets in endgame groups don't have a notable active bonus. A good way of creating diversity in summoned pets would be a purchasable kit that added the 10% debuff to a pet's attacks.

Alternatively, the Devs could sell different skins for pets. Make you Sellsword look like a Pirate, Dwarf Warrior, Psychotic Pastry Chef or what have you. Having certain unlockable skins for a pet would avoid issues where melee pets suddenly became ranged.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    pitshade said:

Except for the Tiger, most common pets in endgame groups don't have a notable active bonus. A good way of creating diversity in summoned pets would be a purchasable kit that added the 10% debuff to a pet's attacks.

Alternatively, the Devs could sell different skins for pets. Make you Sellsword look like a Pirate, Dwarf Warrior, Psychotic Pastry Chef or what have you. Having certain unlockable skins for a pet would avoid issues where melee pets suddenly became ranged.

Of course I would prefer free :) but allowing skinning of your companion with paid skins would keep the game away from P2W since these are only cosmetic changes. Coding wise I think it would still be easier to just let you call up whatever you have idle but use the + from the ones active as you do not have to design and code more fashions and such.

• Options
    seveninchbladeseveninchblade Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    I see this suggested constantly both here and on the subreddit. I've never seen anyone address how they would handle the ranged/melee difference and attack speed variation. I think pitshade's suggestions are the best I've read in that regard. You would also have the issue of knowing whether or not you have two companions in a party that offer a non-stacking debuff like the Dancing Shield.
    Charisma was my dump stat.
  • Options

I see this suggested constantly both here and on the subreddit. I've never seen anyone address how they would handle the ranged/melee difference and attack speed variation. I think pitshade's suggestions are the best I've read in that regard. You would also have the issue of knowing whether or not you have two companions in a party that offer a non-stacking debuff like the Dancing Shield.

Actually a menu window or an added tab to the character window with all the stat buffs and where they are coming from would be a nice addition. Would help with testing out builds and powers as well as group synergy.

• Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited September 2018

I was recently listing to a youtuber who was trying out NW for the first time. One of the negative comments was that he did not feel attached to his character, that it just seemed too generic.

That got me thinking about my own. I like to create ones with backgrounds and I use fashion to match those backgrounds with names to boot. An example is my TR, Squirrel Macabre, a gnome rouge from Waterdeep who grew up as a street urchin pick pocket, plays the role of a "child" and moved to Neverwinter to start the Macabre gang. There are lots of ways to improve the "flavor" of a character and one way is with your companion.

I noticed this first with my Ranger in that with I first started the game I gave him a hawk or bear. But frankly they are HAMSTER poor companions compared to all the others that give you a lot of benefits you need for end game. I mean how many con artist or Archons have you seen?

With mounts, you put the ones in your stable but you get to activate whatever tack and power you have of any that are in the stable. And then you can ride ones not even in the stable. I propose that the same be done with companions. Allow your "stable" to hold your 5 but the one you have running around with you can be any including the ones that are idle.

This would just add a little more flavor and color to the game and make the characters less generic.

Someone in new Races thread was pushing for a Gnome, there one of the longest in D&D history. My goodness I'm just surprised we don't have them available... I mean they've been promising a new Class, but likely delayed it due to Class Balance, and fine tuning that before introducing something new.

Still it be nice to see a Gnome enter into the scene in Mod 15-17, it be great to have something to rival the smaller Halflings!

Though I'd even love to see two new Races! I always hold out HOPE in addition to Gnome... maybe we might see the Catfolk. :o

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mhbk_gallery/76978_CN.jpg

As for companions - two highly under rated or less desirable, despite being good if not great, are the Owl or Panther.

My goodness the skins they provide at 30 are both absolutely stunning! Now if you're a Pally, GF, GWF Wizard or any class that can also knock something Prone with an ability, a Panther makes something good only better. The Panther is also very similar in how it attacks, doing similar damage very close to the Chultan Tiger, it just doesn't give the Omuen Currency boost with a slightly different active bonus. Owl also shouldn't be overlooked cause it has two Ring Slot's, as does the Cockatrice which I think is greatly undervalued, so you can equip 2x 500/510 Rings into them, which is far better than most 425/435 companion gear.

Though I suspect that is why the Lillend is so popular with 3 Ring's... although I think the Con Artist uses three rings, provided you can find a Rare or Epic version on AH.
    Post edited by strathkin on
  • Options
    strathkin said:

Though I suspect that is why the Lillend is so popular with 3 Ring's... although I think the Con Artist uses three rings, provided you can find a Rare or Epic version on AH.

The cost of raising a Con up to rare is not that expensive, comparable to buying decent ones in the first place. Like others, I am just waiting for the Con nerf. I typically run a Lillend as I think she spams enough to keep my bonds running as she heals as well, typically is range so does not die as much.