test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Tale of RNG

cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
We've all heard, or worse, experienced, the fickle nature of Neverwinters RNG. Dozens of wards wasted on "50%" chances, and the like.

Last night, though, all that fickleness got bounced into the Mirror Universe.

I bought a 50 pack of keys in the early evening - I'd scored a '20% off Anything' coupon, and was hoping to flip the box contents for AD, and come out a bit ahead. After opening 10 boxes of general HAMSTER, I set it aside, and went for supper.

On my return, I went back to Omu for my last patrols, and while turning in some Lich Lore to Makos, I cracked a few more boxes open. And there it was, for all the server to see - Glorious Resurgence Legendary Pack.

Oh. Baby.

I set the box in the bank, while I pondered my good fortune, and went back to maps / patrols / quests, wondering what mount I should choose - Black Ice Warhorse (ACDC, so +4k power would be great to share) or the Flail Snail (for that mount power). An alliance member was looking to fill a Fane group, so I signed on. The fifth member was still en route, so I figured I'd waste a few more keys.

And there it was. Again.

Glorious Resurgence Legendary Pack.

Two. In the span of less than 30 keys.

My RNG luck has been legendarily bad to this point, but as a guildie told me (and he's right), I've lost any and all right to complain about RNG forevermore.

Fun addendum: a guildie pulled 2 Mist Form mounts within about 10 minutes of each other soon after my luck. Was a good night to open boxes in our guild...

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,206 Arc User
    cdnbison said:

We've all heard, or worse, experienced, the fickle nature of Neverwinters RNG. Dozens of wards wasted on "50%" chances, and the like.

Why do you use wards for 50% chance stuff? It is a lot cheaper not using any ward.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Heh. Nice one.

Recently I used a pres ward for lolz on a 5% chance and got a success first time - that made me smile.

So yes its all about the RNG
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
    I congratulate you on your good fortunes :)

I had some good luck with RNG finally during the anniversary event and the Ravenloft boxes... got both the Mist form and the Swarm mounts.

Though I have to admit, with Fane and the Omu patrols... RNG has been laughing at me. :p
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User

cdnbison said:

Why do you use wards for 50% chance stuff? It is a lot cheaper not using any ward.
    I use wards on 50% chance stuff if I am low on that particular stone or set of stones. If I'm not, then I'm too lazy and cheap to bother with wards on 50% chance stuff anymore.
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    I don't - I've got a few stacks of all the blue and green enchanting stones, so losing a dozen to bad RNG doesn't really hurt. It was more to reinforce that we've all heard the horror stories of how bad some RNG runs can get ("Hey! It's only a 1/65536 chance that you'd miss on over 65k tries at 50% - but it could still happen!") :-p
    I snagged another 20% off anything coupon this weekend, so grabbed another 50 pack of keys.

Got another Legendary mount pack on about key #25. I think a couple guildies have started a GoFundMe to have bad things done to my knees....
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
  • omegarealities#7219 omegarealities Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    Got my first one early Saturday morning. Sat there in shock for a moment. 30 minutes later got a 30,000 AD experience reward. Still wondering if I should have went out and bought a lottery ticket.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,206 Arc User
    edited September 2018

Got my first one early Saturday morning. Sat there in shock for a moment. 30 minutes later got a 30,000 AD experience reward. Still wondering if I should have went out and bought a lottery ticket.

The 30K (or 45K with AD bonus) is my main rAD income these days. Even more than from salvage.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    I got a rock.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    Llorna has been pretty lucky, I recall when she did the shard quest for Lord Neverember (many years ago) the shards refined on 1% chance without using a ward. Overall she has found more coal wards in the chests, granted she is the oldest character on my account. I still say that random rewards are a bad idea, unless you are talking about the common stuff found in chests. @pitmonster#5684 I get a few of those rocks on Champions and they fetch a lot of gold in the AH there. <3
    wb-cenders.gif
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    I have had VIP since it was introduced, and I grab my key every day.

Not one legendary mount.
  • frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    edited September 2018
    smiles weakly

Congrats, I guess...

Cries in a corner
    FrozenFire
    ...and 61 pres wards used up on a 5% chance.

Bad bad RNG
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    LOL, 2 weeks ago, i lost 1 pres ward failed on 90% success, seem it was a payback since i got lucky on 1st hit on 5% success few months ago.

about 6-7 months ago, i burned 90 pres wards on 10%, RNG are really bad.
    why cant we add "multiple wards" instead 1 ward, put extra wards to increase better chances?
    concept here.... 1 ward on current chance of success, then add 1/2/3/4/5 wards in same slot for better chances of success than it was.
    But i doubt that, devs need players to get to buy coalescense wards to feed devs and pay for designing projects for modules.
    1 pres ward would still be standard, and adding 1 extra equal +10% chances if the base chances are in 10% or lower, and 5th ward would be the limit cap before trying again.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    cdnbison said:

I snagged another 20% off anything coupon this weekend, so grabbed another 50 pack of keys.

Got another Legendary mount pack on about key #25. I think a couple guildies have started a GoFundMe to have bad things done to my knees....

Put me down for $20

cdnbison said:

Put me down for $20
    I will add £10 to that
    k, so you can paypal it to Cdnbisonsknees@gmail.com... :-p